Re: APPROXIMATE APPRAISAL FOR GIBSON CLASSICAL WANTED

Steven Bornfeld

May 23, 2016, 6:26:35 PM5/23/16
On 5/23/2016 3:38 PM, walkersm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Gibson c1-d

I just googled and saw several for sale, from the '60s--ranging from
maybe $600-$1000.
I don't remember ever seeing one. From what I've seen, the classicals
and other nylon/gut strung Gibsons (and Martins, for that matter) don't
get the kind of respect (or prices) that the steel string relatives command.
It's a shame. I own a 1966 Martin 0016C that I bought maybe 10 years
ago. I know I overpaid for it--I think it set me back $1150. I don't
mind at all. It has a very sweet voice. So the good part is that you
can get some really nice guitars for a decent price. As an investment
it's probably not as good.

Good luck,
Steve

Steve Freides

Jun 26, 2016, 6:43:34 AM6/26/16
I agree. My classical guitar as a young student was a Martin, bought by
my father because he'd heard Martin guitars were good, but as a
classical guitar, it was nothing to write home about. As you might
expect, it sounded a little like a steel string guitar with nylon
strings on it. I had that guitar into college, and then graduated to a
Kohno, who was relatively new here at the time. $800 in 1974, if memory
serves, for the Kohno - the computer tells me that's about $4k in 2016
money.

This is interesting - from http://www.kohno-guitar.org/faq/index_e.html

"I play guitar everyday. Do I have to release tension of string every
time I am not play?"

"Yes. Please make full turn (wind down) the strings turning around the
buttons 2 to 3 times every time after playing."

I've never heard that before. Common practice for string _bows_ but not
the instruments themselves.

-S-