Raven Labs

rayboyce

Jan 26, 2011, 11:00:18 PM1/26/11
Steve Rabe (formerly SWR..) Retired. His last company made some of the very
best boxes and were supporting those they made.

www.raven-labs.com

Seems as though not any more.

sigh

ple...@nospam.us

Jan 26, 2011, 11:34:33 PM1/26/11

Not for a while, Ray. I still use a couple of their products when I
gig.

Al

rayboyce

Jan 26, 2011, 11:59:04 PM1/26/11

<ple...@nospam.us> wrote in message

Pretty sure I linked to the website just a few months ago. I knew he had
retired for a long while, but at last check he was pledging to provide
support.

Hope he's ok... At the same time, I'm feeling snuffed.

ple...@nospam.us

Jan 27, 2011, 9:23:28 AM1/27/11

The support has been farmed out to a guy in California for some time.
I got a new power supply from him some 3-4 years ago.

Al

rayboyce

Jan 27, 2011, 11:33:29 AM1/27/11

<ple...@nospam.us> wrote in message

thanks friend

mariore...@yahoo.com <mariore...@yahoo.com>

yes - knew it was farmed... but it was previously searchable/locatable by
the product name. i guess i gotta respect a person's retirement and that he
did more than a lot would have to support, but i'm sad to have lost the
shining example of accountability, in light of the cost of these products.

it seems a lean website (as it had been reduced to) should have been
sustainable

again, i hope he's doing well

Steve Hawkins

Jan 27, 2011, 12:13:15 PM1/27/11
ple...@nospam.us wrote in

Al, do you have his contact info and do you remember how much the power
supply cost? I was going to build one for my PMB-1.

Steve Hawkins
--
My CD "Finger Painting" can be ordered from:

Me at - stephen DOT hawkins5 AT frontier DOT com

or through CD Baby (credit cards, international)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hawkinssteve

rayboyce

Jan 27, 2011, 1:07:41 PM1/27/11

>> Al
>
> Al, do you have his contact info and do you remember how much the power
> supply cost? I was going to build one for my PMB-1.
>
> Steve Hawkins

Steve,

Hope you're doing well. This is him, or what used to be. IIUC, response
may not be fast.

mariore...@yahoo.com <mariore...@yahoo.com>

MR Electronics
10629 Collett Ave.
Granada Hills, CA 91344
Phone: (818) 259-1939
Attn: Mario Rebollero
Email: mariore...@yahoo.com

rayboyce

Jan 27, 2011, 1:39:03 PM1/27/11

<ple...@nospam.us> wrote in message

> The support has been farmed out to a guy in California for some time.
> I got a new power supply from him some 3-4 years ago.
>
> Al

Al,

1) I'd sincerely appreciate if you could send me the output specs for that
power supply asap.

2) Do you know if the Raven units are phantom powerable?

rayboyce

Jan 27, 2011, 1:55:54 PM1/27/11

"rayboyce" <nospamraymond...@verizon.net> wrote in message

This maybe newer:

MR Electronics
6559 Coldwater Canyon Ave.
North Hollywood, CA 91606
Phone: (818) 259-1939
Email: mariore...@yahoo.com

Steve Hawkins

Jan 27, 2011, 2:14:50 PM1/27/11
"rayboyce" <nospamraymond...@verizon.net> wrote in

Thanks, Ray!

Steve Hawkins

Jan 27, 2011, 2:31:58 PM1/27/11

> <ple...@nospam.us> wrote in message
>> The support has been farmed out to a guy in California for some time.
>> I got a new power supply from him some 3-4 years ago.
>>
>> Al
>
> Al,
>
> 1) I'd sincerely appreciate if you could send me the output specs for
> that power supply asap.

It's +9VDC/-9VDC (18VDC): requires a center tapped transformer with 0VDC
in the center and +9VDC/-9VDC as the rails. The two series 9VDC
batteries do the same thing.

> 2) Do you know if the Raven units are phantom powerable?

They are not; neither is the D-Tar stuff which in my book is a very poor
decision for professional audio gear.

I was looking at PAiA Electronics for the parts to build my own; I think
one of their power supply kits would work. http://www.paia.com/

rayboyce

Jan 27, 2011, 2:33:40 PM1/27/11

"rayboyce" <nospamraymond...@verizon.net> wrote in message

Welcome

Plz lemme know if you hear back from him (before I do) I'll do the same.

I believe it's an 18vdc system... but I need to see the specs, and would
love a schematic for my box. I usually operate w/phantom on, and on my
smaller Soundcraft boards, can't individually isolate channels from it, so I
need to figger safe options here.

Not hurting, still love the Countryman and the KK pure xlr... but would love
to get the Raven into the bag of tricks.

dick thaxter

Jan 27, 2011, 2:34:59 PM1/27/11

Yeah, I called or wrote about a new power supply for my master blender
but when told that the two 9-volts last for 40 hours of use, decided
not to spend the $40 and just carry spares. I only use it several
times a year though.

Dick Thaxter

rayboyce

Jan 27, 2011, 2:38:41 PM1/27/11
> It's +9VDC/-9VDC (18VDC): requires a center tapped transformer with 0VDC
> in the center and +9VDC/-9VDC as the rails. The two series 9VDC
> batteries do the same thing.
>
>> 2) Do you know if the Raven units are phantom powerable?
>
> They are not; neither is the D-Tar stuff which in my book is a very poor
> decision for professional audio gear.
>
> I was looking at PAiA Electronics for the parts to build my own; I think
> one of their power supply kits would work. http://www.paia.com/

perfect that's what I thought... dya know if they have diode protection on
the xlr output, or if their xformers are right at the output, (hence dc
board power wouldn't matter)?

Ray (I NEED INPUT>>>>>>>>> says # 5 from an old movie) Boyce

Steve Hawkins

Jan 27, 2011, 2:41:18 PM1/27/11
"rayboyce" <nospamraymond...@verizon.net> wrote in

It ignores phantom just like a dynamic mic. I doubt you'll be able to
get a schematic.

dick thaxter

Jan 27, 2011, 2:47:24 PM1/27/11
On Jan 27, 1:39 pm, "rayboyce"

I just posted above but the Raven Labs PMB-1 that I have uses two 9-
volts so I presume it's an 18 volt power supply. Don't know the
milliamps rating but I can look at the broken one if it's still around
and check.

Since the two 9-volts are supposed to last for a long time I didn't
bother buying the replacement power supply when mine died.

I don't think the XLR out provided for phantom power in if I get your
question right. But the PMB-1 did provide phantom power to the mic in
my Collings.

rayboyce

Jan 27, 2011, 2:51:11 PM1/27/11

"dick thaxter" <dtha...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Dick Thaxter
***********************
Thanks Dick... It helps to know that the PMB's have the same long life as
my box.

I suspect that up and down the product line, at the end of the path, it's a
(Mercury) audio transformer conversion with all of the active circuitry
upstream, only for the interface/switch controls... (= very little power
consumption)

This would mean that phantom power isn't "seen" at the active circuitry,
because the transformer is cant pass on DC power. Boy I would really love
to have a schematic of one of the boxes. I hate opening this stuff up and
trying to think that deep, and I don't wanna burn up my new toy.

rayboyce

Jan 27, 2011, 2:54:22 PM1/27/11

> It ignores phantom just like a dynamic mic. >
> Steve Hawkins

Appreciate it Steve, did you get that info from product data, a manual, or
user guide?

Steve Hawkins

Jan 27, 2011, 3:50:00 PM1/27/11
"rayboyce" <nospamraymond...@verizon.net> wrote in

I used a time honored Engineer's evaluation method; I plugged it in and
looked for smoke! I've been using mine with phantom power on for years
without a problem.

I couldn't find my user manual, but I did find the one for my D-Tar. It
didn't say yes or no regarding using the unit with phantom power on.

Steve Hawkins

Jan 27, 2011, 4:08:38 PM1/27/11
"rayboyce" <nospamraymond...@verizon.net> wrote in

That would be an expensive, but effective method to block the DC.
However, it looks like Raven just used a couple of electrolytic, 50VDC
caps to AC couple the the XLR output. Same result, way cheaper. I
always take my stuff apart to check it out. :-)

Steve Hawwkins

rayshomemail

Jan 27, 2011, 5:04:57 PM1/27/11
On Jan 27, 1:08 pm, Steve Hawkins
<stephen.hawki...@frontier.comREMOVETHIS> wrote:
> "rayboyce" <nospamraymond.boyce3spam...@verizon.net> wrote innews:ihsiba$aft$1...@news.eternal-september.org:
>

> > "dick thaxter" <dthax...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/hawkinssteve- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Steve! That's the important thing.

Huh...
Yours PMB doesn't have a main xformer?

Huh... Huh... Erm...
I got the APD-1 active-passive (or vice-versa i'm old and already cant
remember...) DI, and was told it had a Merc xformer in it. I was
assuming it was the same as the Raven Pre's, with a little better pad/
boost capabilities, and a maybe little less shaping circuitry.

Huh... huh.... go figger... time to get out the screwdriver and see
what this gadget's made of. Right after song circle.

hank alrich

Jan 27, 2011, 5:18:54 PM1/27/11
Steve Hawkins <stephen....@frontier.comREMOVETHIS> wrote:

> "rayboyce" <nospamraymond...@verizon.net> wrote in
>

> > <ple...@nospam.us> wrote in message
> >> The support has been farmed out to a guy in California for some time.
> >> I got a new power supply from him some 3-4 years ago.
> >>
> >> Al
> >
> > Al,
> >
> > 1) I'd sincerely appreciate if you could send me the output specs for
> > that power supply asap.
>
> It's +9VDC/-9VDC (18VDC): requires a center tapped transformer with 0VDC
> in the center and +9VDC/-9VDC as the rails. The two series 9VDC
> batteries do the same thing.
>
> > 2) Do you know if the Raven units are phantom powerable?
>
> They are not; neither is the D-Tar stuff which in my book is a very poor
> decision for professional audio gear.
>
> I was looking at PAiA Electronics for the parts to build my own; I think
> one of their power supply kits would work. http://www.paia.com/
>
> Steve Hawkins

It's pretty easy for a piece of gear like that to draw more current than
the 10ma max that a phantom power connection can deliver.

http://armadillomusicproductions.com/who'slistening.html
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShaidriAlrichwithDougHarman

rayshomemail

Jan 27, 2011, 5:30:08 PM1/27/11
On Jan 27, 2:18 pm, walki...@nv.net (hank alrich) wrote:
> Steve Hawkins <stephen.hawki...@frontier.comREMOVETHIS> wrote:
> > "rayboyce" <nospamraymond.boyce3spam...@verizon.net> wrote in

But AFAICT, not likely considering that advertised battery life while
in use is ~40hrs. <g>

ple...@nospam.us

Jan 27, 2011, 7:18:15 PM1/27/11

It looks like all the information I have to give has already been
given in this thread. Plus some I don't have.

Best of luck with your investigation.

Al

blind dog smith

Mar 15, 2011, 1:47:14 AM3/15/11
On Jan 26, 8:00 pm, "rayboyce"

If any of y'all are still looking, I just found a Raven Labs power
supply while I was cleaning out the garage. Be happy to send it out to
someone.

happy tunes,
bds

Steve Hawkins

Mar 15, 2011, 10:09:55 AM3/15/11
blind dog smith <ski...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:18331ed4-76e8-4c62-
a07f-074...@q40g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

DIBS!!!

Steve Hawkins

ple...@nospam.us

Mar 15, 2011, 7:49:36 PM3/15/11

Hey, Steve,

You got there before me, although I was feeling a little conflicted
because I have one that works so this would only be a spare for me.

We are seeing you in October, right? It will have been too long to
wait, but wonderful nonetheless.

Al

Steve Hawkins

Mar 15, 2011, 9:47:10 PM3/15/11
ple...@nospam.us wrote in news:jluvn69q37rqalebukhbksj7h3vin93p65@
4ax.com:

I bought my PMB thinking I could always buy the power supply later. By
the time I got tired of changing batteries they went out of business.
Scott saved me from having to build my own. :-)

I will be at TX in October! Can't wait to see everyone!

Steve Hawkins

ple...@nospam.us

Mar 15, 2011, 10:07:44 PM3/15/11
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 01:47:10 GMT, Steve Hawkins
<stephen....@frontier.comREMOVETHIS> wrote:

I can't wait to play some together. Not, of course, that we've ever
played on any one song together, but there's always a first time. I
am really looking forward to hearing you play and maybe sharing some
of my new things with you.

AL

Steve Hawkins

Mar 16, 2011, 2:24:26 AM3/16/11