I've got strings that jingle jangle jingle

Steve Daniels

Feb 6, 2015, 3:27:43 AM2/6/15

Last November 5, I took my Guild 12 string into Portland Fretworks for a
neck reset, full refret, bridge reglue, etc.

I got it back today.

I love this thing.

Andrew Schulman

Feb 6, 2015, 10:14:02 AM2/6/15
Congratulations on the upgrade, love it when your old friend sings better...

gtr

Feb 6, 2015, 11:15:13 AM2/6/15
What did a job like that cost you?

hank alrich

Feb 6, 2015, 12:24:24 PM2/6/15
http://tinyurl.com/mn7p3t9

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com

hank alrich

Feb 6, 2015, 12:24:26 PM2/6/15
Nice! Ring 'em!

gtr

Feb 6, 2015, 12:54:59 PM2/6/15
On 2015-02-06 17:24:23 +0000, hank alrich said:

> gtr <x...@yyy.zzz> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-02-06 08:27:41 +0000, Steve Daniels said:
>>
>>> Last November 5, I took my Guild 12 string into Portland Fretworks for a
>>> neck reset, full refret, bridge reglue, etc.
>>>
>>> I got it back today.
>>>
>>> I love this thing.
>>
>> What did a job like that cost you?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/mn7p3t9

I'll do the calculations later and report back.

Steve Daniels

Feb 6, 2015, 2:01:58 PM2/6/15
On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 08:15:11 -0800, against all advice, something
compelled gtr <x...@yyy.zzz>, to say:
$928.00

Bring your checkbook, because they don't take wooden nickels, and they
don't take American Express. Or any other credit card.

gtr

Feb 6, 2015, 3:36:58 PM2/6/15
On 2015-02-06 19:01:53 +0000, Steve Daniels said:

> On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 08:15:11 -0800, against all advice, something
> compelled gtr <x...@yyy.zzz>, to say:
>
>> On 2015-02-06 08:27:41 +0000, Steve Daniels said:
>>
>>> Last November 5, I took my Guild 12 string into Portland Fretworks for a
>>> neck reset, full refret, bridge reglue, etc.
>>>
>>> I got it back today.
>>>
>>> I love this thing.
>>
>> What did a job like that cost you?
>

> $928.00

Yikes! I'm glad it now plays like a dream.

JD

Feb 6, 2015, 3:49:07 PM2/6/15
Look at it this way; you'd pay twice as much or
more for a comparable new 12 and it wouldn't have
one iota of mojo played into it. I had my pre
bolt-on Framus 12 reset, refretted and that
tonesucking adjustable bridge replaced. It wasn't
cheap and was a huge PITA to get the neck off. The
gal who did the excellent work to this day can't
say "Framus" with putting "F#%@ing" in front of
it. It sounded incredible afterwards.

don hindenach

Feb 6, 2015, 6:52:31 PM2/6/15
awesome!

I got playing with the string set on my 12, and came up with this:
put a .021 wound on the high-A and a .050 wound on the low-E, leave the rest of the set alone.

Larry Pattis suggested the wound string on the low A, I came up with a gauge that perfectly balances my John Pearse PB set and adjusted the low-E because it Needed It Too.

HUGE difference - way-more balanced and way-more thrum/boom/warmth. Interestingly enough, the top end became more fun as well. (I know why, and love it)

--
-donh-
donh at audiosys dot com

Steve Daniels

Feb 21, 2015, 7:33:26 PM2/21/15
On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 11:24:23 -0600, against all advice, something
compelled walk...@nv.net (hank alrich), to say:

>Steve Daniels <sdan...@gorge.net> wrote:
>
>> Last November 5, I took my Guild 12 string into Portland Fretworks for a
>> neck reset, full refret, bridge reglue, etc.
>>

>> I got it back today.
>>

>> I love this thing.
>
>Nice! Ring 'em!

I still love my Kinscherff, but the Guild and I are having a torrid
affair.

Tony Done

Feb 22, 2015, 5:55:45 AM2/22/15

Steve Daniels

Feb 22, 2015, 3:51:26 PM2/22/15
On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 20:55:39 +1000, against all advice, something
compelled Tony Done <tony...@bigpond.com>, to say:

>On 2/7/2015 5:01 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Feb 2015 08:15:11 -0800, against all advice, something
>> compelled gtr <x...@yyy.zzz>, to say:

>>> What did a job like that cost you?
>>

>> $928.00
>>

>> Bring your checkbook, because they don't take wooden nickels, and they
>> don't take American Express. Or any other credit card.
>>

>Do they charge double for 12 strings?

I doubt it.

The Guild has a three piece neck, two truss rods, and is robustly built.
It makes it a nice instrument, but a bitch to work on. I think the price
was fair, and I really like the result.

Tony Done

Feb 22, 2015, 7:41:02 PM2/22/15
I was kidding, by Oz standards, the price was good. I payed about
Oz$1200 to get my old Gibson up to speed, and that was over 20 years ago.

What model is the Guild?

Steve Daniels

Feb 22, 2015, 9:20:26 PM2/22/15
On Mon, 23 Feb 2015 10:40:55 +1000, against all advice, something
compelled Tony Done <tony...@bigpond.com>, to say:

>On 2/23/2015 6:51 AM, Steve Daniels wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Feb 2015 20:55:39 +1000, against all advice, something
>> compelled Tony Done <tony...@bigpond.com>, to say:

>>> Do they charge double for 12 strings?
>>

>> I doubt it.
>>
>> The Guild has a three piece neck, two truss rods, and is robustly built.
>> It makes it a nice instrument, but a bitch to work on. I think the price
>> was fair, and I really like the result.
>>

>I was kidding, by Oz standards, the price was good. I payed about
>Oz$1200 to get my old Gibson up to speed, and that was over 20 years ago.
>
>What model is the Guild?

JF30-12 BLD