martin v. larrivee v. guild

Dennis Lee

May 30, 2001, 5:31:23 AM5/30/01
I'm deciding between a martin d1, larrivee d-03 and a guild d4. Any
suggestions?

dennis

George Gleason

May 30, 2001, 5:57:15 AM5/30/01

"Dennis Lee" <den...@stanford.edu> wrote in message

> I'm deciding between a martin d1, larrivee d-03 and a guild d4. Any
> suggestions?

Buy all three and send me the two you don't like
George>

Greg Z

May 30, 2001, 7:33:44 AM5/30/01
Dennis Lee wrote:

I played a Martin D1R that was an absolute cannon. But I'm more of a
Larrivee fan, their L body has a nice sound to it, so I'd look at the
L-03 (comes in rosewood also, L-03R). Don't know diddly about the
Guild.

Greg Z

--
"I'll help you carry your load,
When you come to a turn in the road"...Steve Wariner

tpp

May 30, 2001, 7:57:33 AM5/30/01
Dennis,

Larrivee! Can't speak for the Martin D1 or Guild D4.

My D-03 gets played more than my other guitars. The D-03 is a fine
fingerpicking guitar and the sound is very microphone-friendly. I do some
flatpicking on the D-03, but it can't stand up against a Martin HD-28. But,
there's a good side to everything; using the D-03 for flatpicking has taught
me to be more economical in my right-hand technique so as to get more tone
than volume from my playing.

Tom

Hojo2x

May 30, 2001, 9:24:38 AM5/30/01
Dennis Lee wrote:

>I'm deciding between a martin d1, larrivee d-03 and a guild d4.
Any>suggestions?

Well, all else being equal, the Martin D-1 has a solid back with laminated
sides, while the Larrivée D-03 is all solid wood. This shouldn't have any
major impact on the sound, it's just an issue with some folks.

It seems to me that the Guild D-4 has some laminated woods in its construction,
but I'm not 100% certain of that.

If all three are close in price, then let the sound and playability make the
decision for you. Since all three have solid spruce tops (and that's really
the determining factor in terms of tone) then all three should continue to
break and develop over time as you play the instrument.

If you like the sound of all three equally well, then buy the one with the most
comfortable neck. They are very equivilent guitars in most regards, the main
exception being the Larrivée's all-solid wood construction.

Wade Hampton Miller

Jeb

May 30, 2001, 10:13:55 AM5/30/01
I'll chime in on the Guild...It is somewhat a different animal that the
Martin or Larrivee. Spruce top, solid mahogany sides and pressure formed
laminate mahogany arched back, 25 5/8 scale. To my ear the arched back and
lack of bracing therein produces a focused, well balanced tone that
compliments Guild's traditionally heavy bracing. Throw on some stout
strings, and drive it with a flatpick for the unique Westerly Rhode Island
tone...less desirable for fingerstyle sounds, you'll need on of those
featherweight geetars for that 8^)

Enjoy the search...

jeb

Dennis wrote...

Stephen Traub

May 30, 2001, 10:38:42 AM5/30/01
I'm only speaking from first hand experience -- just coincidentally I've
owned all three.

You can't go wrong with any of them.

The Guild D-4 is the bottom of the Guild line with a list price of $799
(without case) and has an arched, laminated back.

The Larrivee D-03 is near the bottom of the Larrivee line, has solid back
and sides, with a list price of $779 (without case) with only the D-02 just
slightly below it. (though I heard there was a recent price increase ?).

The Martin D-1 is two steps up from the bottom of the line with the DX-1 at
the bottom followed by the DM, and then the D-1 and has a list price of
$1,099.00 and has solid back and laminated sides.

So because of the price differential you are not exactly comparing apples
and apples, although the similarities are that all contain a solid spruce
top, mahogany back and sides, and satin finishes.

If price is not an issue, then of the three, personally I'd go with the
Martin D-1 (better satin finish among other things) or if you can swing a
bit more, the Martin D-16GT is a great value with a list of $1,198 and
includes gloss top, all solid wood, and case).

If price is an issue, then I'd also try the Martin DX-1 (solid top), and the
Martin DM ($899 list including case), and also the Larrivee D-02, and
compare them to the Guild D-4.

Of these three, I'd prefer the Larrivee D-02. But my decision would be based
on 1) the way each sounded to me, 2) the feel (thickness, contour, and
width) of the neck; and lastly 3) appearance.

You won't go wrong with any of them, but the only way you can see which one
you like best is to play them and perhaps have others play them while you
listen.

Have fun,

Steve Traub

SuperSoup

May 30, 2001, 10:33:29 AM5/30/01
Couple of years ago I faced the same decision. I went with the Larrivee
'cos for the same $$$ it was the only one of the 3 that comes in all solid
wood.

Bill Chandler

May 30, 2001, 12:02:24 PM5/30/01
On 30 May 2001 13:24:38 GMT, hoj...@aol.com (Hojo2x) brewed up the
following, and served it to the group:

>Dennis Lee wrote:
>
>>I'm deciding between a martin d1, larrivee d-03 and a guild d4.
>Any>suggestions?
>

>Well, all else being equal, the Martin D-1 has a solid back with laminated
>sides, while the Larrivée D-03 is all solid wood. This shouldn't have any
>major impact on the sound, it's just an issue with some folks.
>
>It seems to me that the Guild D-4 has some laminated woods in its construction,
>but I'm not 100% certain of that.

The D-4 is solid top & sides, laminated arched back. They do have a
flat-back model which is solid back (at an upcharge, I'm sure).

>If all three are close in price, then let the sound and playability make the
>decision for you. Since all three have solid spruce tops (and that's really
>the determining factor in terms of tone) then all three should continue to
>break and develop over time as you play the instrument.

This is sound advice. (Sorry 'bout that...)

>If you like the sound of all three equally well, then buy the one with the most
>comfortable neck. They are very equivilent guitars in most regards, the main
>exception being the Larrivée's all-solid wood construction.
>

>Wade Hampton Miller

As usual, Wade hit the nail squarely on the head here. I really can't
add much more.

-----
"The truth knocks on the door, and you say, 'Go away, I'm
looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling."
--Robert M. Pirsig, "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance"

the above e-mail address remains totally fictional.
the real one is bc9424@spamTHIS!.concentric.net (if you remove spamTHIS!.)
...please check out http://www.mp3.com/BillChandler some time...
Bill Chandler
...bc...

Tom Watson

May 30, 2001, 9:13:37 PM5/30/01
Yes!

Try the D-03R... The D-03 is very nice, The D03R is very, very, very nice!
Now that I've tried one, I'm thinking of trading up!

Tom
Dennis Lee wrote:

-- Remove nospam to email me
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/mrtom/tom_guitar.html

Tony Rairden

Jun 3, 2001, 5:41:58 PM6/3/01
Larrivee's -02 series was discontinued as of the first of the year.
Some dealers (we among them) stocked up as they were shutting the
series down. If you can find the -02, D or OM, it's a tremendous
value-- The only difference between it and the -03, at $200 more, was
two lines of purfling. In 2001, when they discontinued the -02
series, they changed the -03 series "to add more value" by switching
the binding from black to ivoroid... Big Whoopee!

Tony Rairden
First Quality Musical Supplies
www.fqms.com

"Stephen Traub" <str...@shore.net> wrote in message news:<Bv7R6.20$cN....@news.shore.net>...
(SNIP)

pewt...@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2017, 3:19:52 PM3/22/17
This is old, I know, but for anyone else in the market---
I hate the lower priced Martins. They aren't priced nearly low enough. And the high priced Martins cost more than most people can afford. But I never played a Martin wlith laminate anything that was better than a $200 Yamaha.
The Guild D-4 was a poor man's version of the D-25.
I have a D-120ce, made in China, all mahogany, solid wood, for $799, about the cost of a laminate Martin. Really nice guitar, with case, and built like a tank.
A Larrivee D-03 will run you about $1200 new these days, but is easily worth it. The only guitar I ever heard that I like better is the D-03R, which I just bought. The Larrivee also comes with a free case.

Bill

Mar 22, 2017, 9:08:42 PM3/22/17
The guitars mentioned have such different personalities. Buyer should
go to a real guitar store where there can try them all. Personality, I
would probably select a Larrivee today, but I have owned my Guild for
many years. Surely "purpose/intent" should help drive the decision (I
like fingerstyle).