Recording - Good Riddance, Mellow

Steve Freides

May 1, 2016, 5:16:26 PM5/1/16
I know some folks are very particular about recording themselves. I am
not in any way - sometimes, I just want to save a moment so I can hear
it back later.

A middle-school-aged voice student of my wife's performed Green Day's
"Good Riddance" at a local benefit concert here yesterday and I
accompanied on guitar. To fit his voice, we did it in Bb - played like
in G but with a capo on the third fret.

During breaks in rehearsing yesterday, I started fiddling around with a
"mellow" version of this, kind of Good Riddance meets Both Sides Now,
and I liked it. After the performance, I came home and recorded it.
I'd gotten to like the sound of this key this way so I kept it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5f_fXVH0ISEcFpudGNiY3A5ZGs/view

I bought this parlor-size guitar from someone here on r.m.m.g.a - if
you're still reading, please raise your hand. :) I think the seller was
located in Mississippi or Alabama, if memory serves. I paid around
$300. Again, if memory serves, the instrument came from a lutherie
workshop in Australia. I spent about 3 times that amount of money
having my luthier work on the instrument because it had all sorts of
issues but I felt it was worth it, and hearing it on this recording
confirms that for me. My guy said it was a mish-mosh of guitar
construction techniques, some classical, some acoustic, but whatever the
case may be, other than being a little light in the bass, it sounds
pretty spectacular to me.

Strings are Martin 013's.

Recording made with Voice Memo on my iPhone 6S, with a Tascam iQ7
microphone (about $100) plugged in. No reverb, no editing, just the
phone and mic on the music stand in front of me in my living room.

Y'all can tell me what's wrong with it if you like - but you don't need
to. :)

-S-

Les Cargill

May 1, 2016, 8:58:35 PM5/1/16
That's nice, Steve.

--
Les Cargill

Steve Freides

May 2, 2016, 11:12:49 AM5/2/16
Les Cargill wrote:

> That's nice, Steve.

Thanks, Les.

-S-

Steve Freides

May 4, 2016, 11:32:20 AM5/4/16
Les Cargill wrote:

> That's nice, Steve.

I am not feeling much love on this newsgroup, I tell ya.

-S-