Just wondering

Tom from Texas

Jul 22, 2015, 11:13:25 AM7/22/15
Since I've retired I have a lot more time to spend on playing and scanning eBay. I even have time to change strings!! On eBay, I see wood for sale and was wondering how luthiers feel about customers supplying their own wood for a build. Is that a usual thing?

Also, if I'm in the music room and playing with no one else there to hear, did I still screw up the turn around between the first chorus and the second verse?

Tom from Texas

Bill

Jul 22, 2015, 5:01:46 PM7/22/15
Tom from Texas wrote:
> Since I've retired I have a lot more time to spend on playing and scanning eBay. I even have time to change strings!! On eBay, I see wood for sale and was wondering how luthiers feel about customers supplying their own wood for a build. Is that a usual thing?
I'm sure a smart luthier would make a customer agree that
he/she is responsible for any and all "wood changes". The luthier, not
being familiar with the source of the wood, should not be asked to bear
further responsibility. To me, the idea sounds like a "losing recipe"
for both parties.

Alan D.

Jul 22, 2015, 8:10:16 PM7/22/15
Tom, I've done that in the past but not my favorite thing to do. It was
necessary to clearly itemize the wood and both of us signed that I had first
right of rejection in case when it arrived it was not suitable. Also, In case
of breakage or other damage it was the responsibility of the buyer to replace
the wood. In this case it was a small job, not a full instrument, so it was not
a problem. However, someone has some of the last wood from a tree from their
childhood home. They have to understand that 1) it might not be usable for an
instrument, 2) there is a chance that it might break when bending the sides,
etc. You get the idea. You've worked with me before so I think you understand
what I mean. I know that some luthiers won't take on such a job at all.
Different strokes an' all that there.

And YES, of course you screwed it up. What were you thinking?

Alan D.

"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment". - Francis Urquhart

Tom from Texas

Jul 23, 2015, 10:43:00 AM7/23/15
Thanks for the feedback. I thought there might be some complications and assignment of responsibility. Wood is so individual and temperamental that how one piece will work cannot be guaranteed or predicted. I bought some ovangkol off eBay (accidentally put in a bid that wasn't topped) and didn't know if I should ask one of the builders I know to use it for a guitar or just donate it to him/her.
And, yeah, I really screwed up that turn around but pegged the ending.

Tom (gotta stop bidding on stuff) from Texas

Alan D.

Jul 24, 2015, 12:50:37 PM7/24/15
It might be some good wood, do you have it yet? Look to see if the grain is
nicely quartered or skewed. Is it sapwood or heart wood (light /dark)?
Shedua/ovangkol is a very nice sounding wood leaning towards the rosewoods but
not as rich as maybe cocobolo. It does tend towards spliting or cracking and
twisting so be sure to sticker it well under weight to let it come to your
local RelHum. Show it to a local luthier for an opinion, you might have lucked
out.

Tom from Texas

Jul 28, 2015, 1:48:27 PM7/28/15
I've got it. It looks quartersawn but what do I know? The wood is dark. I'm keeping it in a humidified room with my instruments. Sue and I may be going down to Austin next month and I can show it to Jamie. Thanks again for the info and advise.

Tom from Texas

dorgan

Aug 18, 2015, 8:28:00 AM8/18/15
Tom from Texas scribbled:

Sue and I may be going down to Austin next month and I can show it to Jamie.

I'm sure Jamie does not want to see your wood, no matter how proud you are of it.

Steve Hawkins

Aug 18, 2015, 10:54:07 AM8/18/15
dorgan <dorga...@gmail.com> wrote in
Bob!!!! Where the hell you been? Norm's been running amok without your
stabilizing influence! :-)

Steve Hawkins

Tom from Texas

Aug 18, 2015, 11:49:02 AM8/18/15
Awww, Bobs!! I'm glad a post of mine was what drew yall back to the Dark Side. I would not expose my old, wrinkled wood to a gentle soul like Jamie. I might show him my ovangkol however. As it turned out, Sue and I haven't been able to make it down to Austin. We got a puppy (German shepherd/Australian cattle dog mix) and I have been occupied with her.

Again, it is so good to see yall posting. Hit me where it hurts, I'm old and don't feel the pain as much.

Tom (wooden you like to know) from Texas

Alan D.

Aug 18, 2015, 10:05:57 PM8/18/15
Hot Damn! Howdy Bobs, good to see you back in the saddle so to speak.

hle...@voyageairguitar.com

Aug 21, 2015, 2:54:23 AM8/21/15
Your Favorite luthier!!! That must be me!!! lol I have used customer wood a number of times and so for so good. I have a general rule of thumb... your wood so you are responsible for and cost to process as well as replacement cost should something happen while bending etc.

Harv

Tom from Texas

Aug 21, 2015, 10:26:52 AM8/21/15
Harv, you're definitely way up there on my list of favorites. Before I can commission a guitar, I have to sell off some other guitars, mandolins, and banjos or else the wife will be using my skin for bodhran skins.

What sort of guitar do you suggest for ovangkol?

Tom from Texas

Steve Daniels

Aug 22, 2015, 12:23:57 PM8/22/15
On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:26:49 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something
compelled Tom from Texas <tris...@sbcglobal.net>, to say:

>What sort of guitar do you suggest for ovangkol?

Taylor?

https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/features/woods/body-woods/ovangkol

Tom from Texas

Aug 25, 2015, 12:27:21 PM8/25/15
Well, Steve, I have played the ovangkol Taylors but what I was really trying to inquire about was body shape and size.

Tom from Texas

Steve Daniels

Aug 25, 2015, 10:25:41 PM8/25/15
On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 09:27:18 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something
compelled Tom from Texas <tris...@sbcglobal.net>, to say:

>On Saturday, August 22, 2015 at 11:23:57 AM UTC-5, Steve Daniels wrote:
>> On Fri, 21 Aug 2015 07:26:49 -0700 (PDT), against all advice, something
>> compelled Tom from Texas <tris...@sbcglobal.net>, to say:
>>
>> >What sort of guitar do you suggest for ovangkol?
>>

>> Taylor?
>>

>> https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/features/woods/body-woods/ovangkol
>
>Well, Steve, I have played the ovangkol Taylors but what I was really trying to inquire about was body shape and size.

Yeah, I know.

That's why it's funny.

Tom from Texas

Aug 26, 2015, 4:21:57 PM8/26/15
Yep, we can always use humor around here. Where's Bob Dorgan? Does ovangkol make good kindling for wielders?

Tom (never let me near a flammable gas) from Texas
ps Pull my finger

hle...@voyageairguitar.com

Sep 15, 2015, 2:07:11 AM9/15/15
Would you believe I've never built a guitar with Ovangkol??? I have a couple sets but I've never used it. Just feeling it and tapping it doesn't give a lot to go on but it seems like it should be in the rosewood realm. I'd think it would be nice pared with something like Carpathian in an OM size.

Harv

Tom from Texas

Sep 15, 2015, 10:49:56 AM9/15/15
Thanks for the input and suggestion, Harv. I don't have a guitar with a Carpathian top so that might be a way to go. I love the 000/OM body but prefer a short scale. Maybe even a 00 or small jumbo. I feel the G.A.S. coming on.

Tom (one wife, many guitars to love) from Texas

hle...@voyageairguitar.com

Sep 22, 2015, 11:24:11 PM9/22/15
Carpathian is right at the top of my list of spruces... kind of like really good looking Adirondack. 12 fret OM with 24.9 scale would be just the ticket!