Martin Guitar

Charles Versteege

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

Can you help me?
I have the opportunity to buy what I believe is an old Martin
guitar. It is stamped "C.F. Martin, New York" on the inside. Model 2 1/2
- 18 and is Rosewood. It has ivory keys and brass gears. The guitar was
restored on 10/6/72 by "Mr. Tufoya, Seattle".
Can you tell me from the information I have stated if it sounds
original and what its value might be? A knowledgeable person expressed
to me he thought that it was made between 1850-1873.
I would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Charles Versteege

Tom

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

No serial number? It's easy to tell the production year if you have
that.

-tom

Jerry Dallal

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Charles Versteege (char...@raincity.com) wrote:
: Can you help me?

According to Mike Longworth's book, if it is a Martin with no serial
number, then it was made before 1898. Style 18 appeared in 1857.
Rosewood is mentioned, too. IMHO, you need to let other experts look at
the instrument. There are the usual suspects (who might be willing to
express an opinion based on photographs; call first) if you're not lucky
enough to have someone local. It could be a real gem or it could be the
equivalent of Abe Lincoln's axe, with only the center strip surviving.
("Yup, Abe Lincoln owned this axe. 'Course, my grandpa replaced the head
when it got all chipped, and I just replaced the handle 'cause it got all
splintery, but that there's Abe Lincoln's axe.")

Rick Ruskin

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

I'm sure that the repaiman you mention is Mike Tagowa (not sure of
spelling). Contact the Folkstore in Seattle and ask if they can put
you in contact with him. (206) 524-1110
For what it's worth - Mike has been an approved Martin repairman for
ages and is known for his meticulous work.

Rick Ruskin

http://ITRstudio.com/records.html
http://fingerstyleguitar.com/books.htm
http://www.teleport.com/~richm/ruskin.html
http://www.videoprogressions.com/home.htm

On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 23:14:05 -0700, Charles Versteege
<char...@raincity.com> wrote:

>Can you help me?
> I have the opportunity to buy what I believe is an old Martin
>guitar. It is stamped "C.F. Martin, New York" on the inside. Model 2 1/2
>- 18 and is Rosewood. It has ivory keys and brass gears. The guitar was
>restored on 10/6/72 by "Mr. Tufoya, Seattle".
> Can you tell me from the information I have stated if it sounds
>original and what its value might be? A knowledgeable person expressed
>to me he thought that it was made between 1850-1873.
> I would appreciate any help.

> Thanks
> Charles Versteege

Eric Schoenberg

Oct 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/2/97

Rick Ruskin wrote:

> I'm sure that the repaiman you mention is Mike Tagowa (not sure of
> spelling). Contact the Folkstore in Seattle and ask if they can put
> you in contact with him. (206) 524-1110
> For what it's worth - Mike has been an approved Martin repairman for
> ages and is known for his meticulous work.
>
> Rick Ruskin

The repairperson is Phil Tafoya. I would be wary of his work. I have a
1870's or 80's 2 1/2-18 for $1150. In real good shape (unrepaired) it
could be worth more.
--
Eric Schoenberg (Guitars) http://www.wenet.net/~guitar
106 Main St

b.r.curtis

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 14:35:24 GMT, lio...@isomedia.com (Rick Ruskin)
wrote:

>I'm sure that the repaiman you mention is Mike Tagowa (not sure of
>spelling). Contact the Folkstore in Seattle and ask if they can put
>you in contact with him. (206) 524-1110
>For what it's worth - Mike has been an approved Martin repairman for
>ages and is known for his meticulous work.
>
>Rick Ruskin
>

>http://ITRstudio.com/records.html
>http://fingerstyleguitar.com/books.htm
>http://www.teleport.com/~richm/ruskin.html
>http://www.videoprogressions.com/home.htm
>
>On Wed, 01 Oct 1997 23:14:05 -0700, Charles Versteege
><char...@raincity.com> wrote:
>
>>Can you help me?
>> I have the opportunity to buy what I believe is an old Martin
>>guitar. It is stamped "C.F. Martin, New York" on the inside. Model 2 1/2
>>- 18 and is Rosewood. It has ivory keys and brass gears. The guitar was
>>restored on 10/6/72 by "Mr. Tufoya, Seattle".
>> Can you tell me from the information I have stated if it sounds
>>original and what its value might be? A knowledgeable person expressed
>>to me he thought that it was made between 1850-1873.
>> I would appreciate any help.
>> Thanks
>> Charles Versteege

Mike Tagawa certainly is a known and respected luthier in the Seattle
area. However, for many years, Phil Tafoya was also a well-known
luthier in the South End. Phil completely restored an LP (with broken
headstock) for me in the mid-70s and did beautiful work.

--Barry

Rick Ruskin

Oct 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/3/97

I stand corrected.

How's it going Eric?

Rick Ruskin

On Thu, 02 Oct 1997 19:58:43 -0700, Eric Schoenberg <gui...@wenet.net>
wrote:

>Rick Ruskin wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure that the repaiman you mention is Mike Tagowa (not sure of
>> spelling). Contact the Folkstore in Seattle and ask if they can put
>> you in contact with him. (206) 524-1110
>> For what it's worth - Mike has been an approved Martin repairman for
>> ages and is known for his meticulous work.
>>
>> Rick Ruskin

birds...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2013, 7:29:58 PM4/11/13
I knew and studied with Phil Tafoya back in the 60's. If you would like to contact me I would be happy help.

Nil

Apr 11, 2013, 11:51:31 PM4/11/13
On 11 Apr 2013, birds...@gmail.com wrote in
rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic:

> I knew and studied with Phil Tafoya back in the 60's. If you would
> like to contact me I would be happy help.

Are you aware that you're responding to a post from 16 years ago?

David L. Martel

Apr 12, 2013, 7:17:16 AM4/12/13
Nil,

Lately, many of the newsgroups that I read have begun receiving responses
to "very old" posts. I've never bothered to check whether these old posts
are real or fictional. I presume the letters are from some sort of bot.
Mildly annoying.

Dave M.

hank alrich

Apr 12, 2013, 10:34:34 AM4/12/13

Nil

Apr 12, 2013, 12:25:39 PM4/12/13
On 12 Apr 2013, "David L. Martel" <mart...@frontier.com> wrote in
rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic:
I've seen a bit of that, too. If they're bots, I can't imagine what
their prime directive is. In this case, it appears that the OP is a
real person, though according to Google they haven't posted since 2010,
and never to Usenet. Maybe this person has somehow stumbled out of
their element.

Tony Done

Apr 12, 2013, 3:17:11 PM4/12/13
Authorship of these resurrected threads varies. I'm guessing some kind
of glitch in the archiving/retrieval software.

--
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456

http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/

Tony Done

Apr 12, 2013, 3:18:45 PM4/12/13
On 13/04/2013 12:34 AM, hank alrich wrote:
> Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>
>> On 11 Apr 2013, birds...@gmail.com wrote in
>> rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic:
>>
>>> I knew and studied with Phil Tafoya back in the 60's. If you would
>>> like to contact me I would be happy help.
>>
>> Are you aware that you're responding to a post from 16 years ago?
>
> Time flies!

When you're having fun.

Wilbur

Apr 12, 2013, 8:48:01 PM4/12/13
On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 05:18:45 +1000, Tony Done <tony...@bigpond.com>
wrote:

>On 13/04/2013 12:34 AM, hank alrich wrote:
>> Nil <redn...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> On 11 Apr 2013, birds...@gmail.com wrote in
>>> rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic:

>>> Are you aware that you're responding to a post from 16 years ago?
>>
>> Time flies!
>>

>When you're having fun.

That would have been funnier if you had waited 16 years and *then*
posted it...

hank alrich

Apr 12, 2013, 11:19:00 PM4/12/13
Who has that kind of time?

(I have no Martin guitars at this time. In case someone searching for
guitar needs to find this post.)

Tom from Texas

Apr 27, 2013, 1:57:53 PM4/27/13
On Apr 12, 10:19 pm, walki...@nv.net (hank alrich) wrote:
> Wilbur <wil...@sliceathome.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 05:18:45 +1000, Tony Done <tonyd...@bigpond.com>
> > wrote:

> > >When you're having fun.
>
> > That would have been funnier if you had waited 16 years and *then*
> > posted it...
>
> Who has that kind of time?
>
> (I have no Martin guitars at this time. In case someone searching for
> guitar needs to find this post.)
>
> --
> shut up and play your guitar *http://hankalrich.com/http://hankandshaidrimusic.com/http://www.youtube.com/walkinaymusic- Hide quoted text -

I'll visit Stan Milam's house and send ye one or two of his. That way
ye won't feel left out.

Tom (just cause I care) from Texas

sott...@aol.com

Sep 10, 2017, 12:06:30 PM9/10/17
So what's 16 years. Phil Tafoya. Rainer Ave just south of Renton Ave. Little shop. I always thought he was a great guy. His dad built guitars. Phil told me he didn't have his dads knack for hearing the wood sing. So he did not build them from scratch. This was in the mid 70s. We thought Phil was the Martin expert in Seattle.

sral...@gmail.com

Sep 25, 2018, 2:51:43 PM9/25/18
On Wednesday, October 1, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Charles Versteege wrote:
> Can you help me?
> I have the opportunity to buy what I believe is an old Martin
> guitar. It is stamped "C.F. Martin, New York" on the inside. Model 2 1/2
> - 18 and is Rosewood. It has ivory keys and brass gears. The guitar was
> restored on 10/6/72 by "Mr. Tufoya, Seattle".
> Can you tell me from the information I have stated if it sounds
> original and what its value might be? A knowledgeable person expressed
> to me he thought that it was made between 1850-1873.
> I would appreciate any help.
> Thanks
> Charles Versteege

I don't know but Phil Tafoya was a respected luithier in Seattle. Had a little shop in Rain her Beach. I imagine Phil passed away in the late 80s. He did work for me (neck reset) and I treasure the sticker he put on my case.

Steve Hawkins

Sep 26, 2018, 11:15:12 AM9/26/18
sral...@gmail.com wrote in
That post is 21 years old.