Looking for a particular ovation classical

natena...@gmail.com

May 1, 2016, 12:46:44 AM5/1/16
I'm not sure it even exists, but I want to ask and see if it does and if so if anyone has one to sell me....

A classical sized body, no cutaway, electronics, and a proper classical neck. I have a mid 80's one with a cutaway and a terrific neck (nearly the same shape and dimension as a terrific neck on a mid 30's hauser a local acquaintance has) BUT it has a very large lower bout, like a dreadnought. So it is difficult to play on the left leg, and also I hate cutaways.

But it sounds fine unplugged and terrific amplified and ovations stay in tune like a champ. They don't currently make one like what I'm looking for, but I feel like they must have in the past. Most off the shelf electric classicals aren't classicals at all but instead are "crossover guitars." I have high end classicals that I've electrified and they're useful and wonderful and see the most use, but an ovation would be really useful in some instances.

Steven Bornfeld

May 1, 2016, 2:47:16 PM5/1/16
You probably wouldn't be surprised that I can't ever remember Ovation
and Hauser named in the same sentence. ;-)

Steve

natena...@gmail.com

May 1, 2016, 4:12:17 PM5/1/16
You can imagine my surprise. I had both guitars next to each other, the neck profile was nearly identical. And also extremely comfortable.

David L. Martel

May 1, 2016, 5:32:30 PM5/1/16
Nate,

The 1113 series was ovation's Clasical guitar series. I think it had a
classical neck width. There was also the 1116 but it had the narrower neck,
I think

Dave M.

natena...@gmail.com

May 1, 2016, 5:48:57 PM5/1/16
thanks Dave. Is the body sized like a standard classical? The one I have is a 17xx something or neater series and the body is huge like a steel string.

David L. Martel

May 1, 2016, 6:25:44 PM5/1/16
Nate,

Sorry, it was many years ago and all I remember is the guitar kept
sliding out of my lap. I was not impressed with the sound either.

Dave M.

Tony Done

May 1, 2016, 7:01:15 PM5/1/16
I'll be interested in replies to this, because I can't recall Ovation
making a small body.

I looked at some pics of John Williams when he was playing an Ovation
with "Sky", it looks pretty big.

--
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456

http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/

Tony Done

May 1, 2016, 8:09:14 PM5/1/16
On 5/2/2016 6:12 AM, natena...@gmail.com wrote:
> You can imagine my surprise. I had both guitars next to each other, the neck profile was nearly identical. And also extremely comfortable.

Neck profiles and good electronics were the things that sold Ovations.
IMO, they didn't have anything else to commend them.