Guild Madeira A-18

Steve Freides

Aug 9, 2015, 5:44:11 PM8/9/15
I was handed a Guild Madeira A-18 - 6-string acoustic guitar, pressed
cardboard case so I'm guessing 1970-ish.

Anyone have any idea if it's worth doing anything with? This one was
left behind in a move and given to me by a member of the church where
I'm now organist. Missing half its strings...

Thanks.

-S-

Bill

Aug 10, 2015, 6:12:47 AM8/10/15
Steve Freides wrote:
> I was handed a Guild Madeira A-18 - 6-string acoustic guitar, pressed
> cardboard case so I'm guessing 1970-ish.
>
> Anyone have any idea if it's worth doing anything with?

I think there are people playing a lot less. Put some strings on and
give it a try!
I'm pretty a young aspiring guitar player in your church would take it
off your hands...

Steve Freides

Aug 10, 2015, 5:11:47 PM8/10/15
Not really the issue - the bridge is coming off, and the guitar will
need some repair before it's playable. The question is whether or not
it's worth repairing. Even with no string tension, the bridge is still
half off, so I'm loathe to string it up as it currently is.

-S-

Bill

Aug 10, 2015, 5:54:58 PM8/10/15
Well, there is no sense in putting strings on it then. You might break
something. Your local guitar shop could probably glue the bridge cheaper
than you could replace the guitar. If you know someone with appropriate
clamps and a hide glue pot (I think that's the right stuff), you could
do it yourself.

Bill

Aug 13, 2015, 2:14:00 PM8/13/15
In message <mqb6i...@news4.newsguy.com>, Bill
<BILL_...@whoknows.net> writes
>Well, there is no sense in putting strings on it then. You might break
>something. Your local guitar shop could probably glue the bridge
>cheaper than you could replace the guitar. If you know someone with
>appropriate clamps and a hide glue pot (I think that's the right
>stuff), you could do it yourself.

I followed the great advice here back in 2008 and used "Titebond" glue
to fix the bridge back on a Hohner guitar.

It worked pretty well. I put all the rest of the "kit", even the
drinking straws, together into a plastic bag.

I have never needed them again, but now and again I find the bag while
on one of my fruitless rummages in the shed for that vital tool I once
had.
--
Bill (different one)

Bill

Aug 13, 2015, 2:23:48 PM8/13/15
Bill wrote:
> In message <mqb6i...@news4.newsguy.com>, Bill
> <BILL_...@whoknows.net> writes
>> Well, there is no sense in putting strings on it then. You might
>> break something. Your local guitar shop could probably glue the
>> bridge cheaper than you could replace the guitar. If you know someone
>> with appropriate clamps and a hide glue pot (I think that's the right
>> stuff), you could do it yourself.
>
> I followed the great advice here back in 2008 and used "Titebond" glue
> to fix the bridge back on a Hohner guitar.
>
> It worked pretty well.
You don't find out the reason luthiers use hide glue until you need a
repair. In some sense, you shortened the life of the instrument, but it
is obviously yours to do with as you please. Hopefully you won't ever
want to make any adjustments. Let us know how it sounds when you get it
strung up!

Bill

Bill

Aug 13, 2015, 3:29:50 PM8/13/15
In message <mqin9...@news3.newsguy.com>, Bill
<BILL_...@whoknows.net> writes
>You don't find out the reason luthiers use hide glue until you need a
>repair. In some sense, you shortened the life of the instrument, but
>it is obviously yours to do with as you please. Hopefully you won't
>ever want to make any adjustments. Let us know how it sounds when you
>get it strung up!
IANAL could refer to luthery as well, but it sounded pretty good when
strung up. The intonation was, to my ear, not bad at all.

I sold it on about 3 years later. The advice about Titebond came from
the good people here. I was told it could be loosened if necessary with
heat and water, but there was never the need.
--
Bill

Bill

Aug 14, 2015, 11:35:52 AM8/14/15
Bill wrote:
> In message <mqin9...@news3.newsguy.com>, Bill
> <BILL_...@whoknows.net> writes
>> You don't find out the reason luthiers use hide glue until you need a
>> repair. In some sense, you shortened the life of the instrument, but
>> it is obviously yours to do with as you please. Hopefully you won't
>> ever want to make any adjustments. Let us know how it sounds when you
>> get it strung up!
> IANAL could refer to luthery as well, but it sounded pretty good when
> strung up. The intonation was, to my ear, not bad at all.
>
> I sold it on about 3 years later.

I'm confused. Is this a 3 year old story?

Tony Done

Aug 14, 2015, 8:58:55 PM8/14/15
Bad neck angle may be a problem - that is, you can't get a low action.
Since Madeira was a Guild importer brand, I would get it looked over by
a repairer, but wouldn't spend big $ on it. If it is just the bridge, I
would likely get it repaired.

--
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456

http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/

Steve Freides

Aug 15, 2015, 2:59:57 PM8/15/15
Tony Done wrote:
> On 8/10/2015 7:44 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> I was handed a Guild Madeira A-18 - 6-string acoustic guitar, pressed
>> cardboard case so I'm guessing 1970-ish.
>>
>> Anyone have any idea if it's worth doing anything with? This one was
>> left behind in a move and given to me by a member of the church where
>> I'm now organist. Missing half its strings...
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> Bad neck angle may be a problem - that is, you can't get a low action.
> Since Madeira was a Guild importer brand, I would get it looked over
> by a repairer, but wouldn't spend big $ on it. If it is just the
> bridge, I would likely get it repaired.

When my luthier said you could buy a guitar on ebay brand new that would
cost less than this repair and sound better, too, I told him to throw
the guitar away. The top was also quite bowed and there were other
issues as well.

-S-

Tony Done

Aug 15, 2015, 7:11:03 PM8/15/15
Lap steel? :) A good way of utilising nice-sounding junkers.