Japanese Bozo?

Mouser9999

Mar 8, 2004, 11:44:17 AM3/8/04
Does anyone else own one of the old Japanese-made, Bozo Podunavac-designed
guitars? I recently picked up a used B-80 and was *very* pleasantly surprised.
What a wonderful voice this guitar has! I've never played on of Bozo's handmade
guitars, but my B-80 has a full, ringing, resonant voice that was quite
unexpected on a guitar of such reasonable dollars. This is a keeper for sure.

Anybody else got one?

Wade Hampton Miller

Mar 8, 2004, 2:19:01 PM3/8/04
Mouser wrote:

>Does anyone else own one of the old Japanese-made, Bozo Podunavac-designed
>guitars?

I don't, but last I heard Matt Hayden has one.

>I recently picked up a used B-80 and was *very* pleasantly surprised.

Yeah, they'll DO that.

>What a wonderful voice this guitar has! I've never played on of
Bozo's>handmade>guitars, but my B-80 has a full, ringing, resonant voice that
was quite>unexpected on a guitar of such
>reasonable dollars. This is a keeper for sure.

Mouser, I've played a number of Bozo guitars. both the factory-made Japanese
versions and quite a few of the handmade originals that were floating around
Chicago when I was playing in the irish bars in that city.

Quite honestly, I've found the Japanese factory versions to be more consistent
than the original handmade examples.

Because they're not well-known to many players, Japanese-made Bozos are an
excellent value for the money.

Wade Hampton Miller
Chugiak, Alaska

Remove the "Howdy" to reply...

Matt Hayden

Mar 12, 2004, 2:11:02 PM3/12/04
hoj...@aol.comHowdy (Wade Hampton Miller) wrote in message news:<20040308141901...@mb-m05.aol.com>...

> Mouser wrote:
>
> >Does anyone else own one of the old Japanese-made, Bozo Podunavac-designed
> >guitars?
>
> I don't, but last I heard Matt Hayden has one.

I do indeed. In fact, I have a catalog of the original run sent me by
Bozo, kept with the guitar. Mine is a B-100, which is the top of the
line. It currently needs a new nut, but is otherwise in fine shape.

> >I recently picked up a used B-80 and was *very* pleasantly surprised.
>
> Yeah, they'll DO that.

The B-80, the B-80-12, and the B-100 are all solid-wood Bell Western
dreadnaughts (dreadnoughts? Which is the correct spelling? Anyone?
Wade?). They're well-constructed and solid as a rock. The only
problem with mine was shrinkage of the plastic neck binding, which
caused it to separate from the neck. I reglued the 2" section where
it had come loose carefully using white glue and one wouldn't know
that it was ever loose.

It sounds pretty good, and it's tremendously loud. I used to use it
as a busking guitar (and it's got some nicks from that) because it was
SO much louder than anything else. B-80s are similar in tone; the
difference is mostly ornamentation.

> >What a wonderful voice this guitar has! I've never played on of
> Bozo's>handmade>guitars, but my B-80 has a full, ringing, resonant voice that
> was quite>unexpected on a guitar of such
> >reasonable dollars. This is a keeper for sure.
>

> Mouser, I've played a number of Bozo guitars. both the factory-made Japanese
> versions and quite a few of the handmade originals that were floating around
> Chicago when I was playing in the irish bars in that city.
>
> Quite honestly, I've found the Japanese factory versions to be more consistent
> than the original handmade examples.
>
> Because they're not well-known to many players, Japanese-made Bozos are an
> excellent value for the money.

Interestingly, in the US you can't give them away because of the
inherent prejudice against Japanese-made instruments. In Japan,
however, dealers are wising up and are actively seeking these
instruments; some of them go for serious $$ (well, Y, but I don't have
the yen symbol on this keyboard). I recently contacted a Japanese
dealer who's interested in mine, and his assessment of value/price is
much higher than I expected.

They are also valued highly in Europe.

But they're undervalued here in the US. I had a friend who is a Bozo
enthusiast (3 handmades) swing by and play mine. Now, mine does NOT
sound bad at all. But he dismissed it pretty quickly, more (I think)
for its lineage than for any inherent sound/playability
characteristics.

mh

Steve

Mar 12, 2004, 2:19:38 PM3/12/04
That's Bozo-SAMA to you.
SEFSTRAT
solo webpage: http://members.aol.com/sefstrat/index.html/sefpage.html
band webpage: www.timebanditsrock.com

McCollum

Mar 12, 2004, 3:04:49 PM3/12/04

"Matt Hayden" <matth...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>> dreadnaughts (dreadnoughts? Which is the correct spelling? Anyone?

I've seen it both ways,their both correct.
Lance

Matt Hayden

Mar 12, 2004, 11:33:43 PM3/12/04
"McCollum" <mcco...@mccollumguitars.com> wrote in message news:<mIo4c.29405$Y8.1...@fe07.usenetserver.com>...

This is good, since I use both interchangeably.

Anyhoo, it's a hella big guitar ("hella" courtesy of a person I
overheard today at San Diego Airport).

mh

Matt Hayden

Mar 12, 2004, 11:35:21 PM3/12/04
sefs...@aol.comnospam (Steve) wrote in message news:<20040312141938...@mb-m24.aol.com>...

You mean Bozo-san?

Matthew

Mar 13, 2004, 12:15:59 AM3/13/04
Hi: Just as a follow-up, I plan to sell my BOZO B-80 when I return
home in April. matt

madgamer

Mar 13, 2004, 3:41:52 PM3/13/04
Dreds-)
Larry

misifus

Mar 16, 2004, 11:11:19 PM3/16/04
John Rethorst wrote:

> naught. The name is from a British class of battleship, so big it had fear
> (dread) of nothing (naught). The dreadnaught was a larger guitar than was
> common at the time.

>>>I've seen it both ways,their both correct.
>

> "they're" both correct ;-)

I think this may come down to which side of the ocean you're on.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

Ken Sternberg

Mar 17, 2004, 8:13:40 AM3/17/04
Anyone know where in the U.S. these are sold?

Wade Hampton Miller

Mar 17, 2004, 9:26:02 AM3/17/04
Ken Sternberg wrote:

>Japanese Bozo?

>Anyone know where in the U.S. these are sold?

They're no longer in production, Ken - they were only made for a period of two
or three years (during the early or mid-80s, if memory serves.)

They never really caught fire in the marketplace, but enough of them WERE made
and sold that they're not truly rare.

As a result, if you search diligently you can find them, and they're usually a
good value for the money. As I've stated before, the ones I've played have
been more consistent than the early Chicago-era Bozo originals I've run across.

Hope this helps.

Matt Hayden

Mar 17, 2004, 7:17:12 PM3/17/04
kster...@yahoo.com (Ken Sternberg) wrote in message news:<fdf9d657.04031...@posting.google.com>...

> Anyone know where in the U.S. these are sold?

Well, I've got one I'm thinking about selling.

mh

Matt Hayden

Mar 18, 2004, 3:31:50 PM3/18/04
hoj...@aol.comHowdy (Wade Hampton Miller) wrote in message news:<20040317092602...@mb-m26.aol.com>...

> Ken Sternberg wrote:
>
> >Japanese Bozo?
>
> >Anyone know where in the U.S. these are sold?
>

> They're no longer in production, Ken - they were only made for a period of two
> or three years (during the early or mid-80s, if memory serves.)
>
> They never really caught fire in the marketplace, but enough of them WERE made
> and sold that they're not truly rare.
>
> As a result, if you search diligently you can find them, and they're usually a
> good value for the money. As I've stated before, the ones I've played have
> been more consistent than the early Chicago-era Bozo originals I've run across.

They were made in the mid-late-70s. I've got a catalog for them, from
that period, and in addition to laying out the entire product line,
it's got some great pictures of John Pearse, Leo Kottke, Peter Lang,
and Bozo with an early archtop (which has got to be seen to be
believed). If anyone wants a copy, I'll be happy to scan it for them
(assuming it's OK to do so, legally speaking).

mh

Ashley Hazelwood

Mar 19, 2004, 5:53:30 AM3/19/04
On 17 Mar 2004 16:17:12 -0800, matth...@hotmail.com (Matt Hayden)
wrote:

6 or a 12?
price range?
may be interested...

Ashley

JBS from PA

Mar 27, 2004, 12:11:41 PM3/27/04
A friend traveled from PA to CA in the mid 70's to have Bozo build him
a guitar and sold the Japanese Bozos when he returned.
I've owned a new B-100 6 string and a used B-80 12 string. They were
great sounding guitars but there were quality problems. The B-100 had
some finish problems and some of the B-80s that my friend had to sell
had sloppy inlays. The B-80 12 string I bought used in the early 90s
was in perfect conditon and was one of the best playing and sounding
12 strings I've ever played. I sold it to buy a Dobro, but now wish I
hadn't and have been looking for another. I had sold the B-100 about a
year after buying it to buy a Martin 00-18.
They are great guitars when you can find a good one.

dougd...@gmail.com

Jan 27, 2015, 9:23:55 PM1/27/15
yes a 1975 12 string made in japan and signed by leo kottke on the label care to buy it? sounds excellent!dougd...@gmail.com

rabo...@icloud.com

Sep 27, 2016, 6:18:45 PM9/27/16
I am the original owner of a Bozo B100 6 string in nearly mint condition. Great voice! I've seen one for sale on-line for $3000.00. In my view, worth every penny. I purchased it in Wayzata, MN., in 1977.

dwainri...@gmail.com

May 22, 2020, 7:24:50 PM5/22/20
I have had a Bozo Japanese made guitars since 1978. It's a Japanese made B-100. This guitar has gotten better over the years and has a wonderful sound. I actually got in touch with the son of the man who made mine. The maker was Toshi Yagami. And I found Bozo in Florida and had him look at the guitar because at the time I didn't know if it was his or made in Japan. He confirmed it was made in Japan and offered to buy it. I didn't sell and still have it. I paid $1200 in 1978.