1971 Martin D-35 S

Steve Cornelius

Mar 22, 2003, 9:04:21 PM3/22/03
I have a Martin D-35 S guitar (serial number 278855). The Martin website
shows this guitar to be made in 1971. Can anyone tell me what the "S" means?

Thanks in advance.
_________________________________
Steve Cornelius
sscor...@attbi.com

Bob Males

Mar 22, 2003, 9:21:41 PM3/22/03
S means it has a Slotted headstock rather than a solid headstock

SRS

Mar 22, 2003, 10:20:53 PM3/22/03
"Steve Cornelius" <sscor...@attbi.com> wrote in

> I have a Martin D-35 S guitar (serial number 278855). The Martin
> website shows this guitar to be made in 1971. Can anyone tell me what
> the "S" means?

The S usually means slotted headstock -- that _should_ mean that it's 12-
frets to the body (instead of 14) with a somewhat longer body and a slotted
headstock.

If it's not that, it must be something else ;-)

Scott

Steve Cornelius

Mar 22, 2003, 9:30:55 PM3/22/03
Yes, it is 12 frets to the body. In 1969, it was built with Brazilian
Rosewood. Was it still built that way in 1971?

Thanks.
_________________________________
Steve Cornelius
sscor...@attbi.com

"SRS" <sshankST...@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Pete Greenwood

Mar 22, 2003, 10:00:54 PM3/22/03
My '71 D35 (not an S) is Indian. A few of the D35s of this vintage had a
BZRW center piece in the back, but most didn't. I think Martin's stock of
BZRW had gotten pretty thin by then.

I wish my D35 was an S. 12-frets rock!

Pete

"Steve Cornelius" <sscor...@attbi.com> wrote in message

Ty Ford

Mar 23, 2003, 10:59:20 AM3/23/03
In Article <FC8fa.207395$sf5.1...@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>, "Steve

Slotted head? I think that's what the "S" stands for in my D 28S.

Regards,

Ty Ford

For Ty Ford V/O demos, audio services and equipment reviews,
click on http://www.jagunet.com/~tford

Ty Ford

Mar 23, 2003, 11:01:30 AM3/23/03
In Article <pK9fa.3225$U96.9...@newssrv26.news.prodigy.com>, SRS

Yep 12 fret neck AND the neck is wider that a regular dreadnought. For me
that was a plus coming over from a Harmony 12-string Sovereign which also
has a wider neck.

Hmemerson

Mar 23, 2003, 11:21:33 AM3/23/03
Regarding his '71 D-35S, Steve asked what the 'S' means.

Hi Steve,
It stands for 'Special', and sometimes for special order.
It is mostly found the on the Dreads with the longer body and 12fret neck..

This information can be found in the Washburn & Johnson book 'Martin Guitars:
An illustrated Celebration of America's Premier Guitarmaker.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson

Leonardo

Mar 23, 2003, 11:50:39 AM3/23/03
Ty Ford wrote:

> In Article <FC8fa.207395$sf5.1...@rwcrnsc52.ops.asp.att.net>, "Steve
> Cornelius" <sscor...@attbi.com> wrote:
> >I have a Martin D-35 S guitar (serial number 278855). The Martin website
> >shows this guitar to be made in 1971. Can anyone tell me what the "S" means?
> >
> >Thanks in advance.

'S' stands for 'Standard' not 'Slothead'

I think.

Lenny Alcamo

Kenneth

Mar 23, 2003, 12:12:00 PM3/23/03
On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:50:39 -0600, Leonardo <alc...@centurytel.net>
wrote:

Well, you'd better tell the Martin company...<g>

From their website:

Special Features
The letter after the number denotes a special feature.
S = 12-fret neck to body juncture
GT = Gloss top
N = Nylon strings
E = Electronics

I will add that their 12 fret guitars (almost) always have the slotted
peghead.

--
Kenneth

Joe McNamara

Mar 23, 2003, 1:09:11 PM3/23/03

From their website:

Regarding his '71 D-35S, Steve asked what the 'S' means.

This is one of those deals where everybody (Len, Howard, RJ & Washburn, and the
CFMco website) is right.
According to Longworth, in the days prior to WWII, "S" as a suffix on a Martin
stood for "Special" and could mean anything that deviated from production
specs. After Martin switched over to 14 fret necks on most steel strings, they
were still making a few models in 12 fret, slotted headstock variants. In the
1937 catalog, these are 0 & 00 sizes in styles 21, 28 and 42 and were grouped
together in the catalog under the header "Standard model." Part of the catalog
text read:
"In this model many features of the classical guitar, including the twelve fret
neck, wide fingerboard, and light braces are retained....Steel strings, Spanish
style, are regular equipment:...." This is at a time when no 12 fret
dreadnoughts or 000 models were in production, a state that lasted until after
WWII.
One could reasonably argue that in the postwar revival of the 12 fret dread,
"S" stood for "Standard," the company-penned designation for the only 12 fret,
slotted headstock model that they were building a decade earlier. Longworth
cites a batch of 12 fret D-28 models made up "special" for E.U. Wurlitzer Music
in Boston in '54, which had the specs of the "Standard models" of 1937 (12
frets clear, wide [1 7/8"] fingerboards and "slotted" headstocks. They carried
the suffix "S" and later, "SW" (Special Wurlitzer). When Martin put 12 fret,
slotted dreads in the line as regular production models in '67, they carried
the "S" suffix.
Over the past 50 years, those characteristics have boiled down to the present
day nomenclature. In 2003, "S" does mean a 12 fret, wide necked, slot-headed
guitar, currently available in dreadnought and 000 versions in the "15", "16" ,
"17" "Limited" and "Vintage" series.

Joe McNamara

Steve Cornelius

Mar 23, 2003, 1:57:50 PM3/23/03
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.

Here's a little background about this guitar. My sister-in-law owned two
Martin guitars: a 1970 D-28 and the D-35 S. Both guitars were stored at a
former boyfriend's house in an unheated basement for over three years!
Yesterday, my brother-in-law and I initiated a "Martin Guitar Intervention
and Rescue" and were able to reclaim both guitars for my sister-in-law. Both
guitar cases were ruined with mold and mildew and had to be thrown out. My
sister-in-law was so disgusted with the situation that she gave me both
guitars to see what I could do.

Both the D-28 and D-35 S have surface cracks which the Martin website calls
"lacquer cracks." The cracks do not appear to be all the way through the
top. They begin at the bridge and go to the bottom of the guitars. I spent
most of Saturday afternoon cleaning the mildew off the guitars and using
water and lemon oil to polish them. Both guitars responded quite nicely to
the care and attention. The pickguards on both guitars need to be replaced
and the D-28 needs professional help. We restrung the D-35 S with new
strings and I have been playing it. The sound is pretty good, all things
considered, but the sound vibration is reflecting off the pickguard so there
is a definite buzz. I live in the Chicago area and I'm going to take both
guitars to a Martin dealer to see what can be done and how much. Hopefully
both guitars can be saved.
_________________________________
Steve Cornelius
sscor...@attbi.com

"Joe McNamara" <jom...@aol.com> wrote in message

litepipe

Mar 23, 2003, 4:31:39 PM3/23/03

> Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.
>
> Here's a little background about this guitar. My sister-in-law owned two
> Martin guitars: a 1970 D-28 and the D-35 S. Both guitars were stored at a
> former boyfriend's house in an unheated basement for over three years!
> Yesterday, my brother-in-law and I initiated a "Martin Guitar Intervention
> and Rescue" and were able to reclaim both guitars for my sister-in-law.
Both
> guitar cases were ruined with mold and mildew and had to be thrown out. My
> sister-in-law was so disgusted with the situation that she gave me both
> guitars to see what I could do.

This is awful. Lets get us a burlap sack, a pick-up truck and some clubs
and get a little retrobution for the horrendous abuse this vermon put forth
upon these fine instruments. I'm sure we could organize a mob here. Anyone
in? :-))

--Roger

Lee D

Mar 24, 2003, 2:07:19 AM3/24/03
"Bob Males" wrote about a Martin D-35S

> S means it has a Slotted headstock rather than a solid headstock

And all along I thought that it meant that it comes with sprinkles.
Mmmm...sprinkles.

Lee D (I wish there was a Krusty Kreme around here)

Leonardo

Mar 24, 2003, 8:47:59 AM3/24/03
Kenneth wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:50:39 -0600, Leonardo <alc...@centurytel.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Ty Ford wrote:

> >'S' stands for 'Standard' not 'Slothead'
> >
> >I think.
> >

> >Lenny Alcamo
>
> Well, you'd better tell the Martin company...<g>
>
> From their website:
>
> Special Features
> The letter after the number denotes a special feature.
> S = 12-fret neck to body juncture

Why don't they call them TF? :-}

> GT = Gloss top
> N = Nylon strings
> E = Electronics

Although the 'S' designation 'represents' 12 fretters in the current
designation, the 'S' actually stands for 'Standard'. All Martins before
193something were 12 fretters, thus the reference 'S' of the current 12
fretters to this original configuration.

> I will add that their 12 fret guitars (almost) always have the slotted
> peghead.

What do they call the ones that aren't slotted?

Lenny Alcamo

John Sorell

Mar 24, 2003, 9:54:40 AM3/24/03
"Lee D" <mrbigax...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3e7ea...@corp.newsgroups.com>...

> "Bob Males" wrote about a Martin D-35S
> > S means it has a Slotted headstock rather than a solid headstock
>
> And all along I thought that it meant that it comes with sprinkles.
> Mmmm...sprinkles.
>
> Lee D (I wish there was a Krusty Kreme around here)

I guess J means it comes with jimmies. Mmmmmmm....donuts.

John

Robert L. Abramowitz

Mar 24, 2003, 2:28:47 PM3/24/03

So what does the Martin BM acoustic bass come with?

Bob A.

John Sorell

Mar 24, 2003, 7:34:58 PM3/24/03
"Robert L. Abramowitz" <abram...@att.net> wrote in

Chuckle, snort....

John

Tom from Texas

Mar 25, 2003, 7:58:11 PM3/25/03
Wow, Joe, I thought the S stood for "shit" as in "Shiiiittt, that sounds
good!!!!"

Tom from Texas

Tom from Texas

Mar 25, 2003, 7:59:27 PM3/25/03
>So what does the Martin BM acoustic bass come with?
>
>Bob A.

BIG Mother!!

HTH

TFT

Kevin Hall

Mar 25, 2003, 9:04:08 PM3/25/03
The 'S' means different things to different people. Some claim it refers to
any 'Special' model, while others insist it refers to 'Slothead'.

The 12 fret dreadnought with the slotted head and longer body was of course
the original dreadnought design, created by the manager of the Oliver
Ditson firm, for whom Martin manufactured such guitars as far back as 1919.
The larger body of course produced greater volume than other models in the
line, and so Martin incorporated it into their mainstream product line in
the early 30s as the D-18 and D-28.

About the same time guitars with 14 frets clear of the body were increasing
in popularity, so the 'D' models soon underwent some radical changes,
including the adoption of the much simpler to build solid peghead,
shortening of the body, and 'squaring' of the shoulders of the upper bout.
The 12 fret versions were still available on special order, and were given
the 'S' designation to clarify their differences with the 'regular' D
models.

Of course in your case, you could tell folks the 'S' stands for Steve.

KH
Timberline Guitars and Ukes,
Canada.

Steve Cornelius

Mar 25, 2003, 9:07:24 PM3/25/03
I like your thinking! :-)

D-35 Steve

"Kevin Hall" <timberli...@webhart.net> wrote in message

larry...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2015, 11:53:08 AM4/11/15
i believe S is for "Standard" as the neck meets the body at 12th fret. I have a '73 and I that's what a guy in ht know told me.
Cheers

PS If you ever want to sell it let me know. I was born in 71' :)

mark.b...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2015, 1:49:00 PM4/11/15
Nice try, but resurrecting a 12 year old thread doesn't win the prize...

hank alrich

Apr 17, 2015, 1:51:39 PM4/17/15
<mark.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice try, but resurrecting a 12 year old thread doesn't win the prize...

And further, I think it more likely the S stands for slotted peghead.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com

jimm...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2018, 5:19:09 PM2/16/18
I just purchased a 1971 D-35-S. Slotted headstock. The "S" doesn't mean Standard. A D-35 Standard would simply be stamped on the neck heal as D-35. Same any any standard. The S means Slope Shoulder, I always thought it meant slotted but I recently see a D-18s non slotted, that was slope shoulder and 12 frets to the body.

Chris Dunkle

Feb 17, 2018, 12:04:52 PM2/17/18
In article <a3075acf-880d-44f2...@googlegroups.com>,
jimm...@gmail.com says...

> I just purchased a 1971 D-35-S. Slotted headstock. The "S" doesn't mean Standard. A D-35 Standard would simply be stamped on the neck heal as D-35. Same any any standard. The S means Slope Shoulder, I always thought it meant slotted but I recently see a D-18s non slotted, that was slope shoulder and 12 frets to the body.

Very nice. Does it have the wonderful sound that such instruments are
supposed to have? If so, you are a very lucky person.

---

Steven Bornfeld

Feb 20, 2018, 12:25:24 PM2/20/18
I wonder if it developed the top crack so common to 1970s Martins
between the pick guard and the bridge plate?
My brother has a D-35 from 1977. He got the crack. The sound is good,
but nothing outstanding as Martins go.

Steve

jbj...@gmail.com

Mar 10, 2018, 12:33:39 PM3/10/18
On Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 12:25:24 PM UTC-5, Steven Bornfeld wrote:
> I wonder if it developed the top crack so common to 1970s Martins
> between the pick guard and the bridge plate?
> My brother has a D-35 from 1977. He got the crack. The sound is good,
> but nothing outstanding as Martins go.
>
> Steve

I have a 1978 D-35. Back in the 90s, I had some work done on it at a Martin dealer and he did a few warranty fixes on it. One was fitting a new bridge - as I understand it, Martin discovered their 100+ year old jigs had gotten worn and the bridges were way off, causing intonation problems. The other fix was replacing the pick guard. My had "the crack" and apparently it's caused by the pick guard shrinking.

jbj