How to electrify a 12-string?

Nil

Jan 5, 2017, 2:28:21 PM1/5/17
I have a purely acoustic 12-string guitar (GAD-212, dreadnought style,
made in China). I would like to electrify it with either an installed
pickup system or a soundhole pickup. Can anyone suggest a good
solution?

I actually already have Duncan-Turner DTAR (under-saddle piezo +
internal mic) that I got for a 6-string, but I dis-acquired that guitar
before I got around to insalling it. Would this be a good choice?

Neil O'Connor

Jan 6, 2017, 7:45:17 AM1/6/17
Back in 05, I had Third Coast Guitars in Chicago install a Fishman Ellipse system in an HD28 they were rebuilding for me. Liked the results so much, I shipped my J-40 and D12-35 to them for the same treatment. I was really happy with the sound of the 12 coming through the PA system where I played. I could tweak the tone between the under saddle and the mic, and could control my own volume. Best part: one had to look close to see the system. Changing batteries was a PITA, but, they usually lasted as long as a set of strings.

I'm happy with the set up. I've listened to 12's with various sound hole pickups, and they just don't do it for me. Go for it...

Neil O'C
Madison, WI

David KIlpatrick

Jan 6, 2017, 7:50:06 AM1/6/17
Just got a 12 myself and I had an L R Baggs M-1 passive pickup ready to fit. Result is excellent. It has a function to 'hear' body harmonics etc through hard contact with the body, and the sound is full and airy. So it's staying on the new 12.

Steven Bornfeld

Jan 8, 2017, 1:47:04 PM1/8/17
On 1/6/2017 7:49 AM, David KIlpatrick wrote:
> Just got a 12 myself and I had an L R Baggs M-1 passive pickup ready to fit. Result is excellent. It has a function to 'hear' body harmonics etc through hard contact with the body, and the sound is full and airy. So it's staying on the new 12.

Wow--nice to see you posting. Hope all is well!

Steve

Tony Done

Jan 9, 2017, 8:19:17 PM1/9/17
On 06-Jan-17 10:49 PM, David KIlpatrick wrote:
> Just got a 12 myself and I had an L R Baggs M-1 passive pickup ready to fit. Result is excellent. It has a function to 'hear' body harmonics etc through hard contact with the body, and the sound is full and airy. So it's staying on the new 12.

Welcome back.

I have a Baggs M1 active that I like a lot. As you say, they are good
for body sounds. Percussive players should like them.

The only thing I would suggest is to check the pole spacing specs
against the string spacing on the guitar is question. So long as it is
in the ballpark, it should be good.

--
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456

http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/

Tony Done

Jan 9, 2017, 9:22:47 PM1/9/17
On 10-Jan-17 11:19 AM, Tony Done wrote:
> On 06-Jan-17 10:49 PM, David KIlpatrick wrote:
>> Just got a 12 myself and I had an L R Baggs M-1 passive pickup ready
>> to fit. Result is excellent. It has a function to 'hear' body
>> harmonics etc through hard contact with the body, and the sound is
>> full and airy. So it's staying on the new 12.
>>

> Welcome back.
>
> I have a Baggs M1 active that I like a lot. As you say, they are good
> for body sounds. Percussive players should like them.
>
> The only thing I would suggest is to check the pole spacing specs
> against the string spacing on the guitar is question. So long as it is
> in the ballpark, it should be good.

The pole spacing on my M1A is 50 mm.
Message has been deleted

Steve Freides

Feb 2, 2017, 8:12:59 PM2/2/17
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I still own a pair of Troubadour
(sp?) guitars.

-S-