Anyone hear of Luther named...

markh

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Dear Guitar maker Group,

My first post and a question. Does anyone heard of a Luther named Jose
Mario Martello? Not sure if I spelt his name right.

I met this man in the early 1970's his shop was in his converted garage
attached to his house in a conventional city home in either
Concord or Walnut Creek , California. He had a guitar near or at
completion it was a flat-top folk
jumbo size if I remember correctly, with lots of gorgeous inlay. It was
in the middle $2K - $3K price range. He had said the guitar was for I
think it was either Stephen Still or David Crosby (who I as
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young). I was in my early 20's but thought it
funny that he didn't play or at least play according to him very well,
but I understood.

Just in passing a father came into his shop followed by his son and
son's buddy, while I was there one afternoon. The father was irate
about the broken neck on the Paul McCartney base (sorry if misspelt).
The neck had separated at the base of the body. The father, while the
guitar maker checked the instrument, complained that the son promised
that he would polish the instrument up every day. You
know typical over zealous pop. Jose was very calm about the whole thing
and said he just bought this new (I believe it wa a
lincoln) car and was going to be didn't polish it like he hoped he
would. With that the dad seemed to have calmed down.
Anyway the whole situation was pretty interesting. I was there just to
have a pick guard added to my guitar a cheap $65.00
guitar that I still have.

Enjoyed sharing this story but would like to know it anyone whew of him.

Thanks

Mark Holt

Joe McNamara

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

>Dear Guitar maker Group,
>
>My first post and a question. Does anyone heard of a Luther named Jose
>Mario Martello? Not sure if I spelt his name right.
>

>I met this man in the early 1970's SNIP

>Enjoyed sharing this story but would like to know it anyone whew of him.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mark Holt

Hi Mark,
I've known Mario since arriving in San Francisco about 25 years ago. I had
the extreme good fortune to manage a store where Mario was employed for a
couple of years and a more gracious and talented luthier would be
difficult to find. He's also funny as hell! Though you are right in that
he doesn't play guitar, he has played bass in tango bands for as long as
I've known him.
After a brief sojourn to his native Argentina a few years back, Mario has
returned to the Bay Area and is repairing and building up a storm out of
his home shop in Martinez. You can read an article about him at

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/FieldTrips/Mario/mario1.html

Mario has calmed many an anxious guitar player with those magic words,
"Hokay chief, I fix- no problem!"

Joe

StuPort

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
I had the good fortune to work for Mario (doing repairs) about twenty years
ago. I was young, and had a pretty high opinion of myself. Mario gave me a pile
of ukuleles to fix. Nothing to it I thought-- until I started on 'em. Just like
fixing guitars, only you have to do do every thing with a dental mirror and a
bent bicycle spoke, and they're too damn small to really get hold of. Pretty
tricky, that Mario. He's still building; last things I saw from him were a
fancy arch-top and a high-tech looking electric bass.

rolo...@pacbell.net

Nov 12, 2016, 6:11:58 PM11/12/16
On Saturday, August 28, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, markh wrote:
> Dear Guitar maker Group,
>
> My first post and a question. Does anyone heard of a Luther named Jose
> Mario Martello? Not sure if I spelt his name right.
>
> I met this man in the early 1970's his shop was in his converted garage
> attached to his house in a conventional city home in either
> Concord or Walnut Creek , California. He had a guitar near or at
> completion it was a flat-top folk
> jumbo size if I remember correctly, with lots of gorgeous inlay. It was
> in the middle $2K - $3K price range. He had said the guitar was for I
> think it was either Stephen Still or David Crosby (who I as
> Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young). I was in my early 20's but thought it
> funny that he didn't play or at least play according to him very well,
> but I understood.
>
> Just in passing a father came into his shop followed by his son and
> son's buddy, while I was there one afternoon. The father was irate
> about the broken neck on the Paul McCartney base (sorry if misspelt).
> The neck had separated at the base of the body. The father, while the
> guitar maker checked the instrument, complained that the son promised
> that he would polish the instrument up every day. You
> know typical over zealous pop. Jose was very calm about the whole thing
> and said he just bought this new (I believe it wa a
> lincoln) car and was going to be didn't polish it like he hoped he
> would. With that the dad seemed to have calmed down.
> Anyway the whole situation was pretty interesting. I was there just to
> have a pick guard added to my guitar a cheap $65.00
> guitar that I still have.
>
> Enjoyed sharing this story but would like to know it anyone whew of him.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark Holt

I'm his son, Rolando and your account is fairly on target. He lived and worked in Concord and Martinez California. David Crosby owned one of his guitars. I have his last guitar he made before he passed away in October 2006.

derich...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2017, 5:08:53 AM4/23/17
Bonjour,
Etant novice en matière d'acoustique, je n'aurai qu'une seule question.
Savez-vous si Mario Martello a produit ou modifier un amplificateur de guitare; car j'ai en ma possession un objet dont les seules similitudes trouvées sur Internet sont : soit un Fender, soit un Marshall, soit un Hiwatt. A la différence près qu'il porte le nom de Martello et est équipé d'un haut-parleur FANE. Merci de vos réponses

Glutton

Apr 24, 2017, 8:13:27 PM4/24/17
> équipé d'un haut-parleur FANE. Merci de vos réponses.

Translated:

Hello,
Being a novice in acoustics, I will have only one question.
Do you know if Mario Martello produced or modified a guitar amplifier;
Because I have in my possession an object whose only similarities found
on the Internet are: either a Fender, a Marshall or a Hiwatt. With the
difference that it bears the name of Martello and is equipped with a
speaker FANE. Thank you for your answers

nov...@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2018, 2:50:19 PM11/28/18
Hi, Rolando - DeLara in San Marcos TX. I just saw an estate sale beginning tomorrow, 11.28.18 in Canyon Lake Texas that has a guitar made by your father listed as one of the items for sale. It is absolutely gorgeous!