Manea Guitars?

Jefferson Holston

Jan 19, 2008, 3:47:10 PM1/19/08
It's the GAS thing again dammit!! Does anybody have experience with guitars built by Dumitru Manea. I'm kind of curious about a 12er at Gruhn's. It's #AM6186 on the catalog page.

http://www.gruhn.com/catalog/catalog.htm

Direct link to photos

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/AM6186.jpg

The curious thing is the Gruhn website calls this a new guitar; but it's priced at about $3k less than the pricing on www.maneaguitars.com . I've looked at this thing for probably six months now... just sent a note to Gruhn's to ask about it.

Since this is such an unknown, I doubt that I'd buy it without a test drive or (at least) a strong recommendation from someone here who's real discerning and knowlegeable. But it looks *really-really* cool!

Jeff

Misifus

Jan 19, 2008, 5:07:00 PM1/19/08

Is that an inlay of clapping hands on the back?

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

Jefferson Holston

Jan 19, 2008, 5:18:11 PM1/19/08

"Misifus" <rafse...@suddenlink.net> wrote in message news:5vfak4F...@mid.individual.net...

> Jefferson Holston wrote:
>> It's the GAS thing again dammit!! Does anybody have experience with guitars built by Dumitru Manea. I'm kind of curious about a 12er at Gruhn's. It's #AM6186 on the catalog page.
>>
>> http://www.gruhn.com/catalog/catalog.htm
>>
>> Direct link to photos
>>
>> http://www.gruhn.com/photo/AM6186.jpg
>>
>> The curious thing is the Gruhn website calls this a new guitar; but it's priced at about $3k less than the pricing on www.maneaguitars.com . I've looked at this thing for probably six months now... just sent a note to Gruhn's to ask about it.
>>
>> Since this is such an unknown, I doubt that I'd buy it without a test drive or (at least) a strong recommendation from someone here who's real discerning and knowlegeable. But it looks *really-really* cool!
>>
>> Jeff
>

> Is that an inlay of clapping hands on the back?
>
> -Raf
>
> --
The Manea website makes a big deal about the picture of the "Luthiers Hands" on the back of his guitars. There's a Harmony Central review where some one said it's a decal that he was able to clean off with some acetone or something. Otherwise, he said he was pleased with the guitar... always have to take those reviews with a grain of salt though. They tend to be written by folks who've just got themselves a nifty new toy, and they're excited about it. Comments about D-28's and Samicks tend to be equally glowing.

Jeff

Larry Pattis

Jan 19, 2008, 5:18:36 PM1/19/08
> Jefferson Holston wrote:
> > It's the GAS thing again dammit!! Does anybody have experience with
> > guitars built by Dumitru Manea. I'm kind of curious about a 12er at
> > Gruhn's. It's #AM6186 on the catalog page.
> >
> > http://www.gruhn.com/catalog/catalog.htm
> >
> > Direct link to photos
> >
> > http://www.gruhn.com/photo/AM6186.jpg
> >
> > The curious thing is the Gruhn website calls this a new guitar; but it's
> > priced at about $3k less than the pricing on www.maneaguitars.com . I've
> > looked at this thing for probably six months now... just sent a note to
> > Gruhn's to ask about it.
> >
> > Since this is such an unknown, I doubt that I'd buy it without a test drive
> > or (at least) a strong recommendation from someone here who's real
> > discerning and knowlegeable. But it looks *really-really* cool!

The one thing that jumps out at me with this guitar is the very
small/short right-hand "sweet-spot" due to *so* many frets.

Not a lot of range for the right hand, based on the builder's choice in
this regard.

Just MHO.

--
Larry Pattis
email: LP "at" LarryPattis "dot" com

Jefferson Holston

Jan 19, 2008, 6:19:43 PM1/19/08

"Larry Pattis" <Neve...@spam.invalid> wrote in message news:190120081418364910%Neve...@spam.invalid...

That's a good observation, and something I didn't even know to look for! Not only would I have had to play the thing to figure that out, it's one more of those examples of how my 40 years of noodling ought to have made me smarter than I am.

Thanks,

Jeff

Sacramento Dave

Jan 19, 2008, 6:53:47 PM1/19/08

"Jefferson Holston" <captai...@KEEPYERSPAM.verizon.net> wrote in message

http://www.gruhn.com/catalog/catalog.htm

Direct link to photos

http://www.gruhn.com/photo/AM6186.jpg

Jeff

I would not buy one just because of the hands( even if they do come off ,
with acetone hum )

Jefferson Holston

Jan 19, 2008, 7:07:16 PM1/19/08

"Sacramento Dave" <dia...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:h4wkj.844$so6...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net...

The hands thing puts me off a bit too.

Jeff

David L. Martel

Jan 19, 2008, 7:56:58 PM1/19/08
Larry,

When you say sweet spot do you mean the cut away? To me the sweet spot is
the place where the guitar sounds really good, often between the 5th and
10th fret. The cut away does seem small. I don't play a 12 string much but I
never need to go too high up the neck I do think that extending the fret
board into the sound hole is silly.

Dave M.

Larry Pattis

Jan 19, 2008, 8:24:03 PM1/19/08
In article <13p573l...@corp.supernews.com>, David L. Martel
<mart...@earthlink.net> wrote:

No, Dave...I'm talking about the sweet spot(s) under the right hand,
which is usually somewhere directly over the soundhole, or inching
towards the closer-to-the-bridge-edge of the soundhole.

For players that try to use the different tonalities available under
the right hand (crisper towards the bridge, warmer towards the
fingerboard), the simple distance from the bridge to the end of the
fingerboard is important...and this guitar has a bunch of extra frets
(hah!).

This is the builders choice, of course, but in doing so, the end of the
fingerboard (and thus the soundhole) is pretty darned close to the
bridge. The "playable distance" (under the right hand) from bridge to
end-of-fingerboard is extremely short on this guitar, and will reduce
the variety of tonal differences available.

What the hell, it's a 12-string, and most people just use 'em like
musical baseball bats...not much nuance or subtlety...

8-)

All kidding aside, and without ever having touched this particular
guitar, the possibility of a limited range of tonalities under the
right hand would be the *first* thing I would be exploring if I did
have this guitar in my hands...be it 6 or 12 string.

David Kilpatrick

Jan 19, 2008, 8:48:55 PM1/19/08
Larry Pattis wrote:

> All kidding aside, and without ever having touched this particular
> guitar, the possibility of a limited range of tonalities under the
> right hand would be the *first* thing I would be exploring if I did
> have this guitar in my hands...be it 6 or 12 string.

It's not that unusual with jumbo bodies. 12-fret parlours can be great -
about a foot to play along from bridge to over the top frets.

However, this guitar seems to have been made with something useful in
mind, and that is a full octave of mandolin pitch on the top courses,
enabling it to double for mandolin style high solos because it has two
octaves on the top two strings, and unison double courses.

David

Jefferson Holston

Jan 19, 2008, 9:40:32 PM1/19/08

"Larry Pattis" <Neve...@spam.invalid> wrote in message news:190120081724030643%Neve...@spam.invalid...

> In article <13p573l...@corp.supernews.com>, David L. Martel
> <mart...@earthlink.net> wrote:

<snip>.

> What the hell, it's a 12-string, and most people just use 'em like
> musical baseball bats...not much nuance or subtlety...

I prefer Weapon of Musical Destruction (WMD), or just plain musical nuke.

Jeff

Misifus

Jan 20, 2008, 8:02:58 PM1/20/08
Misifus wrote:
> Jefferson Holston wrote:
>> It's the GAS thing again dammit!! Does anybody have experience with
>> guitars built by Dumitru Manea. I'm kind of curious about a 12er at
>> Gruhn's. It's #AM6186 on the catalog page.
>>
>> http://www.gruhn.com/catalog/catalog.htm
>> Direct link to photos
>>
>> http://www.gruhn.com/photo/AM6186.jpg
>>
>> The curious thing is the Gruhn website calls this a new guitar; but
>> it's priced at about $3k less than the pricing on www.maneaguitars.com
>> . I've looked at this thing for probably six months now... just sent
>> a note to Gruhn's to ask about it.
>> Since this is such an unknown, I doubt that I'd buy it without a test
>> drive or (at least) a strong recommendation from someone here who's
>> real discerning and knowlegeable. But it looks *really-really* cool!
>>
>> Jeff
>

> Is that an inlay of clapping hands on the back?
>
> -Raf

As an aside, I was driving home from my daughter's house this evening,
and Mr. Dumitru Manea called me to answer my question about his guitar,
and to explain that he wasn't happy with George Gruhn selling his
instruments at that price. He explained that Gruhn couldn't give a
maker's warranty, such as would come with a guitar bought from him directly.

Mr. Manea further explained that he had invested over $400,000 in
production machinery for his new operation. I had to explain that I
wasn't really in the market for another new guitar right now. He was,
however, very eager to be of whatever help he could.

Larry Pattis

Jan 20, 2008, 8:15:49 PM1/20/08
In article <5vi9a3F...@mid.individual.net>, Misifus
<rafse...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> As an aside, I was driving home from my daughter's house this evening,
> and Mr. Dumitru Manea called me to answer my question about his guitar,
> and to explain that he wasn't happy with George Gruhn selling his
> instruments at that price. He explained that Gruhn couldn't give a
> maker's warranty, such as would come with a guitar bought from him directly.
>
> Mr. Manea further explained that he had invested over $400,000 in
> production machinery for his new operation. I had to explain that I
> wasn't really in the market for another new guitar right now. He was,
> however, very eager to be of whatever help he could.
>
> -Raf

He also called my home when I was out at the grocery store this
afternoon.

His website has some interesting details about his life history.

http://maneaguitars.com/

Derek

Jan 20, 2008, 8:31:19 PM1/20/08
I do like the offset fretboard markers. Symetry is overrated imo.

Mike Brown

Jan 21, 2008, 2:48:38 AM1/21/08

The guitars would have to be VERY good for me to consider one at that price.

I would also prefer a much less ornate instrument (which might cost less
too.

MJRB

Larry Pattis

Jan 21, 2008, 4:20:12 PM1/21/08
I wrote:

> > The one thing that jumps out at me with this guitar is the very
> > small/short right-hand "sweet-spot" due to *so* many frets.
> >
> > Not a lot of range for the right hand, based on the builder's choice in
> > this regard.
> >
> > Just MHO.

Jefferson Holston <captai...@KEEPYERSPAM.verizon.net> wrote:

> That's a good observation, and something I didn't even know to look for! Not
> only would I have had to play the thing to figure that out, it's one more of
> those examples of how my 40 years of noodling ought to have made me smarter
> than I am.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

Jeff,

For a guitar with any given scale length, this distance (bridge to end
of fretboard) is pre-determined by the scale itself, and number of
frets the builder decides to use...and assuming that the soundhole is
then located snugged-up to the end of the fingerboard.

It doesn't matter if the guitar is a 6 string, 12 string, classical,
and it is also regardless of the body size/shape, parlor, 000, dread,
etc.

It's just a fixed distance, and when you get an unusual beast like this
guitar (24 frets) it just jumped out at me, visually.

I pay attention to stuff like this because I keep examining scale
lengths, and also other ergonomic issues. It's always easy to count
the number of frets...anything more than 20 full frets and this
distance under the right hand will get squeezed a bit.

For the 24" scale I am settling in on, I think 18 full frets and a
partial 19th gives me great range under the right hand.

I am also thinking of doing partial frets (not extending fully over to
the bass side of the fingerboard, and removing some thickness of
fingerboard there, as well) above the 16th fret, so my right hand
thumb/thumbnail doesn't get caught on the edges if I am playing up that
high on the strings with my right hand.

Jefferson Holston

Jan 21, 2008, 7:40:10 PM1/21/08

"Larry Pattis" <Neve...@spam.invalid> wrote in message news:210120081320125426%Neve...@spam.invalid...
<snip>

> Jeff,
>
> For a guitar with any given scale length, this distance (bridge to end
> of fretboard) is pre-determined by the scale itself, and number of
> frets the builder decides to use...and assuming that the soundhole is
> then located snugged-up to the end of the fingerboard.
>
> It doesn't matter if the guitar is a 6 string, 12 string, classical,
> and it is also regardless of the body size/shape, parlor, 000, dread,
> etc.
>
> It's just a fixed distance, and when you get an unusual beast like this
> guitar (24 frets) it just jumped out at me, visually.
>
> I pay attention to stuff like this because I keep examining scale
> lengths, and also other ergonomic issues. It's always easy to count
> the number of frets...anything more than 20 full frets and this
> distance under the right hand will get squeezed a bit.
>
> For the 24" scale I am settling in on, I think 18 full frets and a
> partial 19th gives me great range under the right hand.
>
> I am also thinking of doing partial frets (not extending fully over to
> the bass side of the fingerboard, and removing some thickness of
> fingerboard there, as well) above the 16th fret, so my right hand
> thumb/thumbnail doesn't get caught on the edges if I am playing up that
> high on the strings with my right hand.

Of course! That's one of those bits of knowledge I'd long ago filed away for future reference, never to think about it ever again. This is another one of those guitars, about which I was more curious than serious. But you're observation makes it pretty clear that this isn't something that would work for me because it has frets precisely where my right hand tends to want to play.

Thanks again for the observation, it's these little lessons that keep me hanging around here.

Jeff

Larry Pattis

Jan 21, 2008, 8:15:57 PM1/21/08
> "Larry Pattis" <Neve...@spam.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > Jeff,
> >
> > For a guitar with any given scale length, this distance (bridge to end
> > of fretboard) is pre-determined by the scale itself, and number of
> > frets the builder decides to use...and assuming that the soundhole is
> > then located snugged-up to the end of the fingerboard.
> >
> > It doesn't matter if the guitar is a 6 string, 12 string, classical,
> > and it is also regardless of the body size/shape, parlor, 000, dread,
> > etc.
> >
> > It's just a fixed distance, and when you get an unusual beast like this
> > guitar (24 frets) it just jumped out at me, visually.
> >
> > I pay attention to stuff like this because I keep examining scale
> > lengths, and also other ergonomic issues. It's always easy to count
> > the number of frets...anything more than 20 full frets and this
> > distance under the right hand will get squeezed a bit.
> >
> > For the 24" scale I am settling in on, I think 18 full frets and a
> > partial 19th gives me great range under the right hand.
> >
> > I am also thinking of doing partial frets (not extending fully over to
> > the bass side of the fingerboard, and removing some thickness of
> > fingerboard there, as well) above the 16th fret, so my right hand
> > thumb/thumbnail doesn't get caught on the edges if I am playing up that
> > high on the strings with my right hand.

Jefferson Holston <captai...@KEEPYERSPAM.verizon.net> wrote:

> Of course! That's one of those bits of knowledge I'd long ago filed away for
> future reference, never to think about it ever again. This is another one of
> those guitars, about which I was more curious than serious. But you're
> observation makes it pretty clear that this isn't something that would work
> for me because it has frets precisely where my right hand tends to want to
> play.
>
> Thanks again for the observation, it's these little lessons that keep me hanging around here.
>
> Jeff

Sometimes I throw off a good one.

Actually, this appears to be a pretty nice guitar in most respects, and
priced to sell...it just needs the right buyer...maybe someone that
wants to take a flatpick to it, and have some fun!

wendym...@gmail.com

Dec 30, 2013, 8:52:03 PM12/30/13
On Saturday, January 19, 2008 2:47:10 PM UTC-6, Jefferson Holston wrote:
> It's the GAS thing again dammit!! Does anybody have experience with guitars built by Dumitru Manea. I'm kind of curious about a 12er at Gruhn's. It's #AM6186 on the catalog page.

IN RESPONSE

I am his secretary Wendy. I know this post is old however Dumitru Manea is one of the finest guitar craftsmen in the world. His guitars and other various products are sold to some of the finest musicians and companies in the world. They are all hand made only by Dumitru and made only with the finest and highest quality there is. If you ever wanted to have a show case piece, Dumitru's guitars are the way to go! These are guitars you can not find any where else in the world, by any one else, and certainly not something you get at a guitar shop or at Sam ash. For example, just to go to his soon to be open shop you must be a member.. His website is a2z4u.biz andmaneaguitars.com

manea1...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2015, 9:18:44 PM2/26/15
Have you checked out my website lately? www.maneaguitars.com There is a lot of great informantion that could come in handy.

Steve Daniels

Feb 27, 2015, 1:27:25 PM2/27/15
On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:18:40 -0800 (PST), against all advice, something
compelled manea1...@gmail.com, to say:

>Have you checked out my website lately?

Nope, 'fraid not.

don hindenach

Feb 28, 2015, 12:25:10 AM2/28/15
manea1...@gmail.com wrote:

> Have you checked out my website lately? www.maneaguitars.com There is a lot of great informantion that could come in handy.

damn.

that is one of the more annoying sites I have visited lately

what were you *thinking?*

--
-donh-
donh at audiosys dot com

hank alrich

Mar 1, 2015, 12:23:31 PM3/1/15
don hindenach <do...@audiosys.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:18:40 -0800 (PST)
> manea1...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Have you checked out my website lately? www.maneaguitars.com There is
> >a lot of great informantion that could come in handy.
> >
> damn.
>
> that is one of the more annoying sites I have visited lately

Would you characterize the annoyance as viral, or bacterial?

> what were you *thinking?*

I was thinking I wouldn't go there, but then apparently you did, which
has piqued my curiosity, but I still don't want to.

--
shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
HankandShaidriMusic.Com

don hindenach

Mar 1, 2015, 8:06:55 PM3/1/15
On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 11:23:28 -0600
walk...@nv.net (hank alrich) wrote:

> don hindenach <do...@audiosys.com> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 18:18:40 -0800 (PST)
> > manea1...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > > Have you checked out my website lately? www.maneaguitars.com There is
> > >a lot of great informantion that could come in handy.
> > >
> > damn.
> >
> > that is one of the more annoying sites I have visited lately
>
> Would you characterize the annoyance as viral, or bacterial?

yes!

> > what were you *thinking?*
>
> I was thinking I wouldn't go there, but then apparently you did, which
> has piqued my curiosity, but I still don't want to.

good move. silly ever-hopeful me. save it for when you need something extra to scream about.

> --
> shut up and play your guitar * HankAlrich.Com
> HankandShaidriMusic.Com
> YouTube.Com/WalkinayMusic

Steve Daniels

Mar 2, 2015, 1:17:20 AM3/2/15
On Sun, 1 Mar 2015 20:06:52 -0500, against all advice, something
compelled don hindenach <do...@audiosys.com>, to say:

>> I was thinking I wouldn't go there, but then apparently you did, which
>> has piqued my curiosity, but I still don't want to.
>
>good move. silly ever-hopeful me. save it for when you need something extra to scream about.

I found it remarkably content free. It's was almost liberating in its
sparseness.

don hindenach

Mar 2, 2015, 5:48:05 PM3/2/15
yes. that. :-)
Message has been deleted

gtr

Mar 18, 2015, 3:33:50 PM3/18/15
On 2015-03-18 17:48:43 +0000, manea1...@gmail.com said:

> Master Luthier Dumitru Manea makes some of the best products in the
> world for those who understand and appreciate fine art. Not a fancy
> website, but the message is good. For anyone that spends their entire
> lives on a project we all need to respect that (them)... We all need to
> find our calling on this planet and do that. Cheers every one!!!

When when pimping your website it's wise to actually provide the name
of the website.

Message has been deleted

Tony Done

Mar 18, 2015, 5:31:36 PM3/18/15
On 3/19/2015 6:47 AM, manea1...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 12:48:48 PM UTC-5,
> manea1...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Master Luthier Dumitru Manea makes some of the best products in the
>> world for those who understand and appreciate fine art. Not a fancy
>> website, but the message is good. For anyone that spends their
>> entire lives on a project we all need to respect that (them)... We
>> all need to find our calling on this planet and do that. Cheers
>> every one!!!
>
> www.maneaguitars.com

A few more pics would be good. Are all the pedals BYOC?

--
Tony Done

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=784456

http://www.flickr.com/photos/done_family/