Top Ten Horn Players

Rick Barker

Jun 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/12/95
Could someone please tell me who the worlds top ten french horn
players are? Thank you very much for any help you are able to provide.

Rick

Sander Gielen

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
Rick Barker (rba...@cts.com) wrote:
: Could someone please tell me who the worlds top ten french horn
: players are? Thank you very much for any help you are able to provide.

That's just a matter of opinion if you really want to rank them, but I
do like:
Hermann Baumann, Barry Tuckwell, Theo Schoonbrood (NL), David Ohanian
(?, Canadian Brass), Eric Ruske (Empire Brass) and .....
This is not in order of preference!

: Rick

--
Sander
| Sander Gielen; e-mail: san...@wfw.wtb.tue.nl; phone: +31 40 47 27 89 |

Marcus Maroney

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
to rba...@cts.com
1)Dennis Brain*
2)Barry Tuckwell
3)Alan Civil
4)Frank Lloyd
5)John Cerminaro
6)Dale Clevenger
7)Gayle Williams
8)Philip Farkas*
9)?
10)?

Marcus Maroney

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
to rba...@cts.com

ccchas@showme.missouri.edu@missouri.edu

Jun 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/15/95
In <rbarker.15...@cts.com>, rba...@cts.com (Rick Barker) writes:
>Could someone please tell me who the worlds top ten french horn
>players are? Thank you very much for any help you are able to provide.

A question similar to this came up on the horn Email list this spring, and several
comments were made that, unfortunately, some of the finest players are mostly
unknown - namely the session players.

At least the recent IHS Horn Call had an interesting article with pictures of
some of the LA session players.

Having said that, here are a few names I know from solo recordings:

Hermann Baumann
Barry Tuckwell
Dale Clevenger
Thomas Bacon
Eric Ruske
?. VerMulen
Gail Williams
M. Hackleman (sp?)
John Cerminaro
Michael Thompson
(American Horn Quartet guys, Kerry Turner, et al)

Jamie S Ogline

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
I think that Phil Myers should definitely be added to the list. I heard
the New York Philharmonic live this year and he was incredible.

Also, I'm curious if any of you have ever heard Bill Cabellero play- and
what you thought.

Jamie

Brian Fairtile

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In <YjsFwDK00...@andrew.cmu.edu> Jamie S Ogline

I'm sorry but I once like the way Phil played and I jespect his ability
but he plays like a pig now. Not much sensativity.

Brian Fairtile

Jun 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/16/95
In <3rq58a$p...@geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> Marcus Maroney

<mar...@mail.utexas.edu> writes:

>1)Dennis Brain*
>2)Barry Tuckwell
>3)Alan Civil
>4)Frank Lloyd
>5)John Cerminaro
I don't know if you can put John in this slot. He's a great player but
never lived up to his abilities when he was in NY. I didn't follow his
work when he went to LA but I'm sure the presure was a lot less out
there than it was in NY.

>6)Dale Clevenger
>7)Gayle Williams
>8)Philip Farkas*
>9)
>10)?

Bobby Guidry

Jun 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/18/95
to san...@wfw.wtb.tue.nl

--
Bobby

i think philip farkus was the best

Peter Macdonald

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
I have found this thread bizzare, to say the least; it isn't clear what
criteria to use when selecting the "top ten", but people seem to
concentrate on the players that are well known in North America through
their recordings. This ignores the great studio musicians (who thrill an
even wider audience, usually anonymously!), the great section leaders,
the players who interpret jazz, complex contemporary works, etc., etc.

I was pleased to see several people mention Alan Civil; in the 60s and 70s
he was the "horn player's horn player" in Britain, universally respected,
always a gentleman with a sense of humour, willing to play Strauss 2 with
your local amateur orchestra, able to excite the huge "Last Night at the
Proms" audience with an immaculate and pyrotechnical Strauss 1, equally at
home playing chamber music or leading the section for Tristan in the
Covent Garden pit. That he produced some very fine recordings in the
course of his career is only a small part of the story.

I was offended when someone said that Phil Myers plays like a pig: no-one
deserves that kind of comment, least of all someone who could play rings
around 95% of the subscribers to this newsgroup.

I was interested to see how many times Dennis Brain was mentioned, when so
few Americans would consider using his approach to horn playing: light
equipment (a single B flat for the best-known recordings), light
technique, light tone. But it worked well for him. Just for fun, if you
have the LP of his Strauss concerti, try playing it at 16 2/3 rpm: you
will get what sounds like a ponderous half-speed tuba concerto, but
_every_note_ is exactly in place and perfectly articulated, even the sixteenth
notes (or semiquavers, as he would have called them).

So no, I don't have a "top ten"; there are hundreds of players out there
I respect and enjoy listening to. But I wanted to pass on my thoughts
about Dennis Brain and Alan Civil.
Peter D.M. Macdonald, D.Phil. McMaster University
Professor of Math & Statistics Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1

Bill Strickland

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
Bravo Prof. Macdonald regarding the "top ten" list of horn
players. I would agree 100% with his comments regarding Alan Civil.
The two or three times that I met Mr. Civil he was the model of modesty,
as well as a fantastic player in every venue in which I heard him play.

Ditto comments regarding Phil Myers.

Although I don't like top ten lists, I would like to mention the French player
Georges Barbetou(sp) who's made some outstanding recordings over the years.

Bill Strickland
New Orleans

aki....@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2014, 7:01:39 PM10/22/14
On Monday, 12 June 1995 09:00:00 UTC+2, Rick Barker wrote:
> Could someone please tell me who the worlds top ten french horn
> players are? Thank you very much for any help you are able to provide.
>
> Rick

I just stumbled upon this and while writing realized how extremely old this thread is, however:

I don't see any reason or value of a top 10 list.
It might be helpful for starters and some orientation. But music is about the joy of listening and probably practicing as well. Sometimes the one leads to the other.

I had a personal experience that I am still very honored and thankful of.
Once I got a lesson in the Austrian forest (Lockenhaus Festival) from Radovan Vlatković.

He's an amazing musician and extraordinary horn player who's not only a great soloist but also a fantastic chamber musician.

aki....@gmail.com

Oct 22, 2014, 7:04:33 PM10/22/14
So go and check out **Radovan Vlatković** if it's about the joy of music and the very special warm sound of the french horn.

clarissa...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2015, 7:42:22 PM8/19/15
I would add Vince Derosa to the list. He revolutionized studio horn playing and helped the horn become the quintessential aspect of movie soundtracks.

ahpep...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 6:01:26 PM8/31/16
I played with Vince SeRies in the 60's. Superb!
Best ever to me was Dennis Brain.

ahpep...@gmail.com

Aug 31, 2016, 6:02:03 PM8/31/16
DeRosa