Pipe Major Tommy Shearer has passed away

Jeff Dyer

Nov 29, 2001, 1:55:16 PM11/29/01
This past Tuesday Pipe Major Tommy Shearer (The Wee Man), suffered a stroke and
passed away this moring.
For those of you who did not know Tommy a little background. Tommy was form
Clydebank in Scotland and came from a piping family. George his father was a
Piper inThe Argyll And Sutherland Highlanders in WWI. He was also Greg Sharps
first Pipe teacher. Tommy became an open grade piper as a teenager. Because
he wasa boilermaker in the ship yards of Clydebank he was not allowed into the
army. However after the war he did join as his father before in the The Argyll
And Sutherland Highlanders.
Tommy attended the Pipe Majors School at he Castle under Pipe Major Wille Ross
and erned his Certificate. After leaving the Army Tommy took over of as Pipe
Major of the Grade 1 Renfrew Pipes and Drums. Taking them to the European
Chapmpionships as Champions in 1956, and taking 2nd twice in the Worlds. In
the 1960's tommy moved the family to the states and settled in CT.
In CT Tommy Piped and taught. I can not think of a Band in CT that was not
infulenced by Tommy and his Teaching. A large hole is now in the heart of Ct
Piping. Tommy loved to teach and loved to teach children "they have such
wonderful wee nimlbe hands" he would say. Tommy was my teacher and friend my
heart and thoughts go out to Jeannie and his Children and Grandchildren

Jeff Dyer

Pentecoste

Nov 29, 2001, 6:56:15 PM11/29/01
When my son was eight years old and had indicated an interest in piping, my
wife called Tom Shearer. "Oh, I don't teach any more," he said, "Americans
aren't willing to work hard enough--but how old is the lad?" When she told
him, Tommy replied, "Ah, the perfect age--I'll make a champion of him! And he
did.
Tom Shearer was a wonderful piper, a wonderful teacher, and a wonderful man.
His legacy is in the many pipers in the northeast whom he taught.

Charles B. Phelps

Pentecoste

Nov 29, 2001, 7:18:30 PM11/29/01

Pentecoste

Dec 3, 2001, 11:10:19 AM12/3/01
A memorial service for PM Tom Shearer of Newtown, CT, will be held at 1 pm on 8
December 2001 at the Parish of Christ Church, Easton, CT, with music provided
by Trumbull & District Pipe Band and the Pyramid Pipes & Drums.
In lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the Shriners' Burn Hospital
Center for Children, 349 Wheelers Farm Road, Milford, CT 06460.

donna...@hotmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 3:00:20 AM4/18/15
Hi Jeff

I was interested too read your post I was wondering if you would be able too put me in touch with someone from the family as I have some questions I would like too asked re his fathers family History and learn more abt Thomas Im not sure if you can reply too me privately but would love too hear from you

Donna

larryfe...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2015, 2:40:39 PM10/28/15
Sad to hear of Tommy's passing. I had the privilege of playing with Renfrew P B just before he left for America. I remember well when we took 2nd at Belfast in 1956. Ian Maclellan (Later P/M Strathclyde police) was one of the pipers in fact we had an excellent pipe core. Tommy had an ear for tuning second to none. A great Pipe Major.