CRASH

chrisTiaN.a.h.

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

pretty simple message here. go see the movie crash. it's, um, stranger
than fuck. with a lot of fucking ironically. (but cronenberg/burg
always uses sexual overtones in his movies...) that song, and video, by
korN would fit the movie well. and yes, i do like some of the groups on
MTV. if that makes me "non-industrial," then my goal has been achieved.

easter love,

chrisTiaN
--
" Winners don't do drugs...They just sell them. "

bell

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

I saw it yesterday and I thought it was awesome.Really dark and weird.If
there is such a thing as an industrial movie,this might be it.But who
cares what it is,as long as it's good,right?And emmmm....Easter love to
you too,I guess.

belladonna.

downfall

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, chrisTiaN.a.h. wrote:

> pretty simple message here. go see the movie crash. it's, um, stranger
> than fuck. with a lot of fucking ironically. (but cronenberg/burg
> always uses sexual overtones in his movies...)

don't let thee inclusion ov sex fool yeou younguns out there (this is for
yeou brandon) do *not* go expecting this to be a porn...it's not...thee
sex is *very* un-erotic, and all ov it serves a higher purpose. it's a
masterpiece.

-downfall

"the man has no sense of reality at all" - george drakoulias

daniel landherr

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

downfall (ew20...@oak.cats.ohiou.edu) wrote:
: don't let thee inclusion ov sex fool yeou younguns out there (this is for

: yeou brandon) do *not* go expecting this to be a porn...it's not...thee
^^^^
: sex is *very* un-erotic, and all ov it serves a higher purpose. it's a
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
: masterpiece.

: -downfall

Oh, so it's JUST LIKE porn!

:^)

Dan

E Loch

Mar 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/31/97

downfall wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, chrisTiaN.a.h. wrote:
>
> > pretty simple message here. go see the movie crash. it's, um, stranger
> > than fuck. with a lot of fucking ironically. (but cronenberg/burg
> > always uses sexual overtones in his movies...)
>
> don't let thee inclusion ov sex fool yeou younguns out there (this is for
> yeou brandon) do *not* go expecting this to be a porn...it's not...thee
> sex is *very* un-erotic, and all ov it serves a higher purpose. it's a
> masterpiece.

Did it speak to your own perverse nature?

ufo

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

downfall wrote:

> > pretty simple message here. go see the movie crash. it's, um, stranger
> > than fuck. with a lot of fucking ironically. (but cronenberg/burg
> > always uses sexual overtones in his movies...)

YESYESYES- it was theee movie of '96 (erm, maybe Breaking the Waves was, but
still ...); Cronenberg is back in great shape. Funnily, I found that of all ppl
I spoke to who'd seen the film, about 95 per cent thought it was utter shite
while 5 per cent thought it was mind-blowing. No in-betweens. Worse than old and
new school industrialists. Fantastic.

> don't let thee inclusion ov sex fool yeou younguns out there (this is for
> yeou brandon) do *not* go expecting this to be a porn...it's not...thee
> sex is *very* un-erotic, and all ov it serves a higher purpose. it's a
> masterpiece.

Erm ... _un_erotic??? _very_ _un_erotic?????? I have to disagree here. Porns are
unerotic. Big ugly wet dicks in an ugly lighting are unerotic, CRASH has an
awesome weird eroticism I still cannot fathom out. The mechanical sex acts
between Ballard and Catherine - and ultimately between all of the protagonists
display a kind of eroticism unseen before. Even the vagina-like scar of the
crash victim is in an unsettling twisted way - maybe not erotic, but definitely
not un-erotic. BTW, Downfall, what's the higher purpose? I was deeply disturbed
and desperately needed a cigarette when I came out of the cinema; ain't that
purpose enough to be fucked up by a film for a while?

A little anecdote: A few days after seeing the film I was driving back from a
band rehearsal with a friend. I got really scared when we passed the airport,
the concrete blocks, the mulitiplicity of complex motorway interesctions, dozens
of lanes merging splitting darkness thousands of cars, us driving along at 90
mph. Then he said: "Have you seen Crash?" He had thought the same. Metropolitan
freeways will never be the same again ...

Erm, and read the _book_!

BTW, why do they screen American films in America half a year after they were
shown in Germany? Did nobody want to distribute the film?

ufo (who was really expecting The Normal's _Warm Leatherette_ to be the
soundtrack - shame ...)

Skarekroe

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

:BTW, why do they screen American films in America half :a year after they

were
:shown in Germany? Did nobody want to distribute the :film?

that's the way it is with art-films. the US gets them long after
everybody else. on the other hand, everybody else gets the massive
hollywood blockbusters long after the US.

sk

T. Elkington

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Actually, with this film in particular, the distributor saw it and
freaked. Said it was perverse and refused to distribute it. For some
reason i want to say Ted Turner was somehow involved with the decision,
but I'm not sure about that. It took this long to re-jockey the release
in the US.

Trevor Elkington

Andrew Brenycz

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Any opinions?

James Cooney

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.97040...@pirate.shu.edu> Andrew Brenycz <bren...@pirate.shu.edu> writes:

>Any opinions?

Hmmm.... I only own a few cover comps, but here it goes:

1. Assemblage 23 - I Ran (Flock Of Seagulls)
2. Informätik - Immigrant Song (Led Zeppelin)
3. Coil - Tainted Love (Not Soft Cell, but some old singer I forget)
4. Numb - Push It (Salt N. Peppa)
5. :wumpscut: - Crate (the terminator theme!)

Thats it. I don't think I could come up with 10. If I bothered to do a
number 6, it would have been Christ Analogue's Natural Born Killaz, but thats
it for now.

np: battery: transit

Steven Niles Wetherbee

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

All time? Here we go...

1. Sympathy for the Devil- LAIBACH
2. Supernaut- 1000 HOMO DJS
3. Gangsta's Paradise- BATTERY
4. Get Down, Make Love- NIN
5. Rawhide- DEATHLINE INTERNATIONAL
6. Smothered Hope- MINISTRY (hard to find but worth it)
7. Fire- AMGOD
8. Gubert Einer Nation- LAIBACH
9. Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?- REVOLTING COCKS
10. Tequila- KLUTE

web on the web

Burn me to ashes
Reduce me to tears
Confirm all my doubts
And feed all my fears

Al Crawford

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

And lo, ufo <Uff...@stud-mailer.uni-marburg.de> spake unto the masses saying:

> BTW, why do they screen American films in America half a year after they
> were shown in Germany? Did nobody want to distribute the film?

Well, it was really a Canadian film - it was released there way back. I'd
also imagine that the US distributors wanted to see what happened overseas
before releasing it. Fr'example, if it caused riots in a relatively
easy-going country like the Netherlands, it probably wouldn't go down too
well with the Moral Moronity here in the US. Or, to look at it a little
more cynically, if it caused riots overseas, they could then stir up a
whole bunch of controversy at home, which'd lead to more people going to
see it. I suspect if they'd released it first in the US, it'd have shown
quietly at smaller arty cinemas then disappeared without trace.

> ufo (who was really expecting The Normal's _Warm Leatherette_ to be the
> soundtrack - shame ...)

Have to say that, although I've not actually seen the film, I was also a
little saddened to hear that the soundtrack didn't include any of the many
tracks that've been inspired by the book. "Warm Leatherette" is the most
obvious, but there's a few others out there, like John Foxx's "Underpass"
(and a good chunk of the entire _Metamatic_ album - Foxx was *heavily* into
J.G. Ballard at the time).

Al

--
Al Crawford - aw...@access.digex.net
http://www.access.digex.net/~awrc

daniel landherr

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Steven Niles Wetherbee (revd...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: All time? Here we go...

: 2. Supernaut- 1000 HOMO DJS

: 3. Gangsta's Paradise- BATTERY
: 4. Get Down, Make Love- NIN

: 9. Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?- REVOLTING COCKS

Yes to these, along with Coil's Tainted Love, Numb's Push It, the cover of
Madonna's Vogue on the Shut Up Kitty comp. (Bigod 20?), Bauhaus' Ziggy
Stardust, Love & Rockets' Ball of Confusion, Babyland's Burnin' Up, any
cover by Foetus (Puppet Man especially), and a few others I'm sure I've
forgotten.

Dan

Anxiously awaiting Pig's version of War Pigs.

Bill Ackerman

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

Yes to most of these, and Einsturzende Neubauten's Sand, Coil's Who By
Fire, Meat Beat Manifesto's Asbestos Lead Asbestos, and especially
Laibach's One Vision. And Nine Inch Nails' poppy re-working of Dig It.

Bill

--
"May all your problems be little ones as one child molester say to the
other"

Don Muerto

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

I don't have many, but I'll contribute.
1. Martyr Colony - ina godda da vida
2. Informatik - Immigrant Song
3. (I forgot who did it. It's one of those Reconstriction bands) -
Obsession
--
Live long and prosper,
- 'Coffee'

downfall

Apr 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/1/97

On 1 Apr 1997, ufo wrote:

> Erm ... _un_erotic??? _very_ _un_erotic?????? I have to disagree here.

perhaps thee problem is thee way i *stated* wot i meant...wot i meant was
that thee sex in crash is not *intended* to be erotic...though, if viewed
in a certain light (as yeou did) i guess it could be looked upon as a high
art porno...

> BTW, Downfall, what's the higher purpose? I was deeply disturbed and
> desperately needed a cigarette when I came out of the cinema; ain't that
> purpose enough to be fucked up by a film for a while?

it, as any form ov art, has a deep subtext, and should be figured out on
yeour own...trying thinking about what this film is saying about humanity,
and it's obsessions...try viewing thee film again. (i *refuse* to tell
anyone wot "meaning" a piece ov art has...as it should be attained on
yeour own.)

> BTW, why do they screen American films in America half a year after they were
> shown in Germany? Did nobody want to distribute the film?

thee lack ov showing in america has to do with thee media scumbag/self
appointed censor ted turner...he believed that crash had *no* artistic
merit and served to only glorify violence...one ov his numerous film
companies owned thee rights to thee film, and he refused to release it.

-downfall

"the man has no sense of reality" - george drakoulias

alienanxiety

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Crash is not an American film, it's 100% Canadian.

Ivan Hadad

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

in no particular order (because that takes too much thought)

SMG's strange days
christ analogue's natural born killaz
bigod 20's like a prayer madonna cover
1000 homo dj's supernaut
institute of technology's king of rock

im sure theres more...

--
Cubano
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~ihadad/

Francis X. Connor

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

The definitive list:

10. Human League, "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"
9. Cabaret Voltaire, "A Touch of Evil"
8. Coil, "Tainted Love"
7. Cabaret Voltaire, "No Escape"
6. Fini Tribe, "I Want More"
5. Braindead Sound Machine, "Walking After Midnight"
4. Einsturzende Neubauten, "Sand"
3. Laibach, "Life Is Life"
2. Laibach, _Let It Be_
1. Big Black, "The Model"

Honorable mention to the most innovative cover band of all time, This
Mortal Coil.

LAter,
Fran "don't argue" Connor

"A man, who has had no opportunity of comparing the different kinds of
beauty, is indeed totally unqualified to pronounce an opinion with regard
to any object presented to him."
--David Hume, "Of the Standard of Taste"
Francis X. Connor Career English Major George Washington University

Paul Kuypers

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Andrew Brenycz wrote:

> Any opinions?

Einstuerzende Neubauten - 'Je t'aime...moi non plus' (Serge Gainsbourg)
Sonic Youth - 'Into the groovey' (Madonna)
Coil - 'Who by fire' (Leonard Cohen)
Laibach - 'Sympathy for the devil (Rolling Stones)
Sister of Mercy - 'Sister Ray' (Velvet Underground?)

Kilgore Trout

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Here's a couple:

1. Laibach-Sympathy for the Devil
2. Coil-Tainted Love

ufo

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

downfall wrote:

> On 1 Apr 1997, ufo wrote:
>
> > BTW, Downfall, what's the higher purpose? I was deeply disturbed and
> > desperately needed a cigarette when I came out of the cinema; ain't that
> > purpose enough to be fucked up by a film for a while?
>
> it, as any form ov art, has a deep subtext, and should be figured out on
> yeour own...trying thinking about what this film is saying about humanity,
> and it's obsessions...try viewing thee film again. (i *refuse* to tell
> anyone wot "meaning" a piece ov art has...as it should be attained on
> yeour own.)
>Granted. What I meant was something different. I have a problem with ppl
declaring that a certain piece of art has a "higher purpose" or "wants to tell
the viewer something". This is usually said about films that leave you clueless
or bored or both. Then ppl say it's art and that I have to think about what the
film tries to tell me. I wanted to say that I expect a film to have a direct and
immediate impact on me - like Crash did. Second question would be: Why does this
film have an impact? Then you can point to the subtexts that you immediately
felt but not consciously thought about - and after a few sleepless nights you
might have a clue why the film gripped you and what its intentions are. Pointing
out the higher purpose is like saying, "okay, the film might be a drag, but
think about it and you will find that the author has an important message." The
message has to be brought across immediately, IMO. A film captures my interest
because the message is there. I love Bergman, Godard and von Trier because these
films disturb me instantly not because I know that there's a complex subtext and
a multiplicity of readings that I have to find in painstaking analytic work.

> thee lack ov showing in america has to do with thee media scumbag/self
> appointed censor ted turner...he believed that crash had *no* artistic
> merit and served to only glorify violence...one ov his numerous film
> companies owned thee rights to thee film, and he refused to release it.
> This man has indeed no sense of reality at all. Can I see PC terrorism shaking
hands with Christian Fundamentalism?

ufo

Atif Aziz

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

1. Institute of Technology-King of Rock-Run DMC
2. Babyland- Burning Up-Madonna
3. SMP- Lethal Weapon-Ice-T
4. Laibach- Get Back-Beatles
5. NIN-Memorabilia-Soft Cell
6. REVCO- Do Ya' Think I'm Sexy- Rod Stewart

in no particular order except for IT and Babyland

JackieBlue

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

BiGod20's version of "Like a Prayer". Without a doubt.

blue.
http://members.tripod.com/~spill/index.html

jOhNtAyLoR

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

: YESYESYES- it was theee movie of '96 (erm, maybe Breaking the Waves was, but

: still ...); Cronenberg is back in great shape. Funnily, I found that of all ppl
: I spoke to who'd seen the film, about 95 per cent thought it was utter shite
: while 5 per cent thought it was mind-blowing. No in-betweens. Worse than old and
: new school industrialists. Fantastic.

maybe someone could explain to me why a movie made in america by an
american director would open almost a year ahead of america, in germany or
europe in general. I've noticed this happens quite frequently with
independent type movies.

: Erm, and read the _book_!

: BTW, why do they screen American films in America half a year after they were

: shown in Germany? Did nobody want to distribute the film?

oh didn't see this, yeh what he said.
Guess its the same as when an american band can't find a label in america
and has to release in europe. But i'd think cronenberg would have a large
enough american audience.

: ufo (who was really expecting The Normal's _Warm Leatherette_ to be the
: soundtrack - shame ...)

that would have bee nice.

Paradigm

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Gotta be "Tequila Slammer", by Klute.....

Paradigm

niall.

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

hmm lessee- no particular order, but here are my faves:

coil 'tainted love' (natch)
amgod 'fire!'
index 'canon' (sic)
non aggression pact 'boy'
tilt! 'running up that hill'
babyland 'pink frost'
dive 'twilight fields'
runes order 'the last farewell' / swirling swastikas 'death is the martyr
of beauty.'
the tear garden 'the center bullet' (does this count?)
claus larsen wins points for covering himself for about 5 years,
but loses them all for not covering himself in that dreadful
'legacy of hate and lust' photo.

honorable mention (only because i haven't heard them):
lassigue bendthaus' alleged collection of covers
skinny puppy performing a fifteen-minute version of 'the end' by
the doors in hawaii. it was supposed to be on 'brap', o well...

and o yes, ministry's version of 'smothered hope', sacreligious,
lacking subtlety, but still the best thing al and crew ever did in
my opinion.
yours,
niall.

Brian Corbett

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

JackieBlue (god...@planetc.com) wrote:
> BiGod20's version of "Like a Prayer". Without a doubt.

Play this for anyone who actually appreciates Madonna (a sister,
acquaintence, or someone you really don't like). At first, they have a look
of apprehension as if the opening, although isn't too harsh, is going
somewhere they don't want to be. But the best is seeing them squirm and
writhe as the song they loved is permutated into something from their worst
nightmare........

I love this song. :)

| Brian "PALADIN" Corbett | "Jesus was an Architect previous to |
| Architecture III | his career as a prophet" - Ministry |

Mark Sisson

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Brian Corbett (bcor...@chat.carleton.ca) writes:
> JackieBlue (god...@planetc.com) wrote:
>> BiGod20's version of "Like a Prayer". Without a doubt.
>
> Play this for anyone who actually appreciates Madonna (a sister,
> acquaintence, or someone you really don't like). At first, they have a look
> of apprehension as if the opening, although isn't too harsh, is going
> somewhere they don't want to be. But the best is seeing them squirm and
> writhe as the song they loved is permutated into something from their worst
> nightmare........
>
> I love this song. :)

Actually I've played this for two Madonna fans, one of which was a
die-hard..and I mean *die*-hard madonna fan (no I don't understand) and I
gotta say...they liked it. Mind you they were aquainted with that style
of music somewhatedly through me. It is a *much* more danceable version
of the song.

No the cover of "Vogue" on Shut Up Kitty on the other hand....

eXniHILio

--
"You're not going crazy, you're just going sane ina crazy world!"
-The Tick

s k i n

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

where is everyone seeing this movie??? is it out in the US yet???
argh....

--
s k i n
- ( s k i n @ e a r t h . e x e c p c . c o m ) -

March A. Briner

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Have anyone thought of the covers on the Die Krupps "Tribute to Metallica"
album? Or, have I missed some key posts earlier int his thread?

Marc

JackieBlue

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Brian Corbett wrote:

> JackieBlue (god...@planetc.com) wrote:
> > BiGod20's version of "Like a Prayer". Without a doubt.
>
> Play this for anyone who actually appreciates Madonna (a sister,
> acquaintence, or someone you really don't like). At first, they have a look
> of apprehension as if the opening, although isn't too harsh, is going
> somewhere they don't want to be. But the best is seeing them squirm and
> writhe as the song they loved is permutated into something from their worst
> nightmare........

Yes, I played this for my Madonna-and-Prince obsessed roommate a few
years ago. After he'd already classified Ministry as "homicide music".
The look on his face when the guttural "NOW I'M DANCING!" came on was
priceless. Wish I'd taken pictures.

blue. (np: My Bloody Valentine "I Believe")
http://members.tripod.com/~spill/index.html

Greebo

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

: maybe someone could explain to me why a movie made in america by an

: american director would open almost a year ahead of america, in germany or
: europe in general. I've noticed this happens quite frequently with
: independent type movies.

First of all, Cronenberg is Canadian and the movie was made in Canada.
Your question has been answered in just about every review of the film:
Ted Turner managed to keep it out of the country for a year because he
thought it was to explicit, graphic, etc. I don't know exactly why or how
they finally managed to get it here.

-greebo

--
|mind the perpetual greebo|
[gre...@teleport.com]

Stefani

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

> where is everyone seeing this movie??? is it out in the US yet???
> argh....

Hah! You're trapped in Milwaukee, too :-) Milwaukee is a pathetic place
for independent and challenging films, having only two theatres that cater
to intelligent cinema. It'll probably take another couple of months for
Crash to make it here, if it does at all. Breaking The Waves just made it
here last week, and that film has been out for months elsewhere around the
country!

BTW, whoever was it on this thread that said Breaking The Waves was the
movie of 1996, I just want to say I TOTALLY agree with you! Very
powerful.

Stef

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Stefani
WMSE Radio
Milwaukee, WI USA
"The Velvet Realm"
Wednesdays 12am to 3am
email: emp...@execpc.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
you must force yourself again and again
to find out what is still hidden
and stuck in between your limbs
summon up the courage
to believe in yourself
and to create something everlasting
--Drown For Resurrection

Alex

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

jOhNtAyLoR (jta...@step.mother.com) plastered all over the bandwidth...

: maybe someone could explain to me why a movie made in america by an
: american director would open almost a year ahead of america, in germany or
: europe in general. I've noticed this happens quite frequently with
: independent type movies.
:
Because he's Canadian. *blink*

: Guess its the same as when an american band can't find a label in america

: and has to release in europe. But i'd think cronenberg would have a large
: enough american audience.
:

In particular, Ted Turner (who has a large part in the company that
distributes it or something) was not impressed with it, and didn't feel
that it was an acceptable film. Which is why it went through the first
run, second run, and then onto Video here before you guys got it. (=

F.
--
Erm... Yeah. Whatever.

Monkeyexplosion

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Laibach: The Final Countdown (by Europe)!!
The Industrial Tribute to AC / DC cd
Merzbow covering a Throbbing Gristle song

That's all I can think of right now...

---Eric

ufo

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

... the order might need discussion ...

1. Big Black - The Model
2. Tuxedomoon - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
3. Laibach - Geburt einer Nation
4. The Residents - It's A Man's World
5. Cabaret Voltaire - No Escape
6. Sigillum S - Radioactivity E.P.
7. Plastic Noise Experience - Smalltown Boy
8. Coil - Tainted Love
9. Death In June - Brown Book (erm, maybe too sick)
10. Einstuerzende Neubauten - Morning Dew

... but what about Snakefinger's The Model, Diamanda Galas' rendering of gospel
songs and all the other Laibach cobvers?? Complicated task ...

ufo

Francis X. Connor

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

March A. Briner (m_br...@oz.plymouth.edu) wrote:
: Have anyone thought of the covers on the Die Krupps "Tribute to Metallica"

: album? Or, have I missed some key posts earlier int his thread?

Yes, we have thought about it. And there's a damn good reason why no
one's listed it...

Later,
Fran "Bad idea; bad execution" Connor

Soren Ragsdale

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

Kilgore Trout <rme...@linex.com> wrote:
: On Tue, 01 Apr 1997 23:09:30 -0500, Don Muerto
: <s02...@discover.wright.edu> wrote:

: >I don't have many, but I'll contribute.
: >1. Martyr Colony - ina godda da vida
: >2. Informatik - Immigrant Song
: >3. (I forgot who did it. It's one of those Reconstriction bands) -

: 1. Laibach-Sympathy for the Devil
: 2. Coil-Tainted Love

I'd like to point out that I'm STILL waiting for someone to do a nice
crunchy cover of "staying alive". There's a rap version by N-Trance which
is far from good, but suffices as a proof-of-concept.

--
the Meow Mix jingle by Napalm Death would be good, too.

phoenix.hawk

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97

>> BiGod20's version of "Like a Prayer". Without a doubt.
>
>Play this for anyone who actually appreciates Madonna (a sister,
>acquaintence, or someone you really don't like). At first, they have a look
>of apprehension as if the opening, although isn't too harsh, is going
>somewhere they don't want to be. But the best is seeing them squirm and
>writhe as the song they loved is permutated into something from their worst
>nightmare........

I appreciate some Madonna, including Like a Prayer. And the Bigod 20 version
doesn't bother me one bit.

phoenix.hawk

Kat1

Apr 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/3/97
to Francis X. Connor

What about 29 Died`s cover of Tainted Love? It is not on anyones top
ten list!

It is the second best cover, first is Bigod 20`s Like a Prayer.
3 is Coil-Tainted Love

KaT1

Thin White Duke

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

A lot of people have mentioned Laibach covers in this thread (and for good
reason) but how come no one has said, "Jesus Christ Superstar"? Granted, I
haven't heard the album version, but live this song absolutely blew me
away.

Thin White Duke
(np: "Collapse" -- Plotkin/Harris)

--
"if you can't live with it, find a new channel... rmi *is* about being
elitist, abrasive and hate-filled. the more you're willing to flame, the

This new music just ain't got the same air,
I like that old Cabaret Voltaire.
I hate to think about the days of hair
metal bands, gimme Cabaret Voltaire.

Thin White Duke € de...@columbia.eduhttp://www.columbia.edu/~dek17

Monkeyexplosion

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

>I'd like to point out that I'm STILL waiting for someone to do a nice
>crunchy cover of "staying alive". There's a rap version by N-Trance which
>is far from good, but suffices as a proof-of-concept.

Anal Cunt did a cover of it already. Although they aren't even close
to industrial music, it's still funny! I think MZ-412 would do a nice
cover of it....

---Eric

Mark Sisson

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

Francis X. Connor (wax...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu) writes:
> March A. Briner (m_br...@oz.plymouth.edu) wrote:
> : Have anyone thought of the covers on the Die Krupps "Tribute to Metallica"
> : album? Or, have I missed some key posts earlier int his thread?
>
> Yes, we have thought about it. And there's a damn good reason why no
> one's listed it...
>
> Later,
> Fran "Bad idea; bad execution" Connor

AMEN!

eXniHILio
(np: Alien Crossing-Project Pitchfork)

Paul L. Lessmann

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

for anyone one who has not heard this album and is thinkin of purchasing
it out nostaglia (old metallica fans) here is the rundown
the first seven tracks are metallica songs from the albums up until
metallica metallica (the sellout album) redone in bad synth instead of
guitar with a different vocalist (pathetically bad)
the ninth track is actually alright and interesting (for old metallica
fans) it is a remix of die krupps rendition of "one" by Dave Oglivie and
is actually pretty listenable (i like it)
the eigth track is probably not that bad in that it is also a Oglivie
remix of Die Krupps "enter sandman," although i don't know this because i
will never disgrace my cd player by playing anything even remotely related
to that album

if you find it for $2 its worth the curiosity of track 9 but don't pay a
cent more
later,
IV

Paul L. Lessmann

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

ps track 9 is danceable

chrisTiaN.a.h.

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

bob wrote:

> Note: I did not send this message. Direct all replies to
> sple...@midway.uchicago.edu.
>
> On Fri, 4 Apr 1997, bob wrote:
>

> > you are an idiot. You missed the point of the movie, the sex. read the
> > book, get a clue.
> > korn sucks, nobody should make fun of you because you
> > like mtv bands,
> > they should make fun of you cause you like CRAP!
> > anyway, there is nothing ironic about the inclusion of sex, that was the
> > point. whatever.
> > the end.
> >
> > On Sat, 29 Mar 1997, chrisTiaN.a.h. wrote:
> >
> > > pretty simple message here. go see the movie crash. it's, um, stranger
> > > than fuck. with a lot of fucking ironically.

english 101. when someone says "stranger than fuck. with a lot of
fucking..." that's an ironic statement. why? because you're using the
word "fuck" to describe a movie that contains a lot of....yep, you got
it, fucking. now, go back to bed...

> (but cronenberg/burg
> > > always uses sexual overtones in his movies...) that song, and video, by
> > > korN would fit the movie well. and yes, i do like some of the groups on
> > > MTV. if that makes me "non-industrial," then my goal has been achieved.
> > >
> > > easter love,
> > >
> > > chrisTiaN
> > > --
> > > " Winners don't do drugs...They just sell them. "

i just love this fucking newsgroup. you post a message, and you've got
the fucking mafia after you. criticism, fine. degradation, go to hell.

quality is job one,

chrisTiaN

niall.

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

while you're at it, anal cunt's cover of 'unbelievable"...
niall.

Inukschuk

Apr 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/5/97

My votes go to Numb's "Push It" (way creepy) and the Pigface (with Ogre,
so it may not actually be a cover) live version of T.F.W.O. (Totally
Fucking Weirded Out, to you non-Canadians.)

I did like "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy"... Connelly's deadpan sarcasm was
brilliant.

Cheers.

NATASno9

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

>3. Laibach, "Life Is Life"

How origanlly wrote this?

numb

numb

now spinnig:

David Hopman

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

Andrew Brenycz <bren...@pirate.shu.edu> wrote:

>Any opinions?

Panic on the Titanic- The Logical Song.

dave

ufo

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

NATASno9 wrote:

> >3. Laibach, "Life Is Life"
>
> How origanlly wrote this?

Opus, a cheesy Austrian rock band attempting to be a stadium rock band;
the original was released in 1984 (I think), complete with a crowd
clapping and singing along to the tune. It was a #1 hit around Europe
then. BTW, the original is called "Live Is Life"

ufo

James Cooney

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <Pine.PMDF.3.95.9704022...@cnsvax.albany.edu> "niall." <nm7...@cnsvax.albany.edu> writes:

>hmm lessee- no particular order, but here are my faves:

All this talk of industrial bands covering more mainstream stuff got me
thinking. Have any bands in a genre other than electro-industrial done covers
of industrial stuff? I know there's tribute albums to 242 and throbbing
gristle, but their mostly electro industrial bands.

np: zero defects: flat lux

Donald & Leigh Anne Harvill

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

James Cooney wrote:

> All this talk of industrial bands covering more mainstream stuff got me
> thinking. Have any bands in a genre other than electro-industrial done covers
> of industrial stuff? I know there's tribute albums to 242 and throbbing
> gristle, but their mostly electro industrial bands.

Fatima Mansions did a fine cover of "Stigmata" by Ministry on an EP;
they also did a very pointed deconstruction of "Shiny Happy People" by
REM on the same disc. Both are worth hearing. The US release is titled
<Timo Mansio Dump the Dead> -- Donald R. Harvill

-----
(Now Playing: The Fall <in Palace of Swords Reversed>)
" 'What sort of people made this music? Who are they? And what planet
are they from?' That was my first reaction upon hearing Cabaret
Voltaire's 1979 record 'Nag Nag Nag,' and this has been the overriding
factor and key influence upon my musical taste, preferences, and ideas
ever since." -- Tim Gane of Stereolab

angels all speed

Apr 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/7/97

In article <3349AE...@washington.xtn.net>,
poohn...@washington.xtn.net wrote:

> James Cooney wrote:
>
> > All this talk of industrial bands covering more mainstream stuff got me
> > thinking. Have any bands in a genre other than electro-industrial done
> > covers of industrial stuff? I know there's tribute albums to 242 and
> > throbbing gristle, but their mostly electro industrial bands.
>
> Fatima Mansions did a fine cover of "Stigmata" by Ministry on an EP

I've seen Primus do Stigamta live, actually it might have been Thieves.
And The Urge used to do a bit of Stigmata in concert.

flail (who would like to hear Primus do Neubauten for some reason)

--
sonic dissonance KWUR 90.3 FM Clayton, MO
Thursday 11-2 PM cool electronic music for mom

Monkeyexplosion

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

"niall." <nm7...@cnsvax.albany.edu> wrote:

>while you're at it, anal cunt's cover of 'unbelievable"...
> niall.

When I saw them live, they even did a cover of MC-Hammer's "Hammer
Time"!! Seth rolled around on the floor and threw things at us.

---Eric

ealasaid fionnghal oighrig

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

ufo (Uff...@stud-mailer.uni-marburg.de) wrote:
:
: Erm, and read the _book_!
:
: BTW, why do they screen American films in America half a year after they were
: shown in Germany? Did nobody want to distribute the film?

um, my guess is that because of the content there might have been a
problem, but most likely a distributing problem. which is strange
because it is a canadian movie. i saw it in germany as well, last
october when i was living in hamburg, and i didn't expect the film to
take this long to hit the states. (not to mention how cool i felt
telling my friend's here that i saw it last year in germany)

read the book!! one of my favourites as well...

-n.-

Raistlin Majere

Apr 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/8/97

[posted and mailed]

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997 13:54:44 -0500, Andrew Brenycz <bren...@pirate.shu.edu>
hath spoken thus:

>Any opinions?

Not many people outside of Germany will know trhis, but one of the best EBM
/ Industrial covers in the world is "Dich zu lieben" by Genital A-Tech. The
original song is by Roland Kaiser, a German schmaltz singer (think a blue
jeans version of Engelbert Humperdinck and you know what I mean). The cover
really twists the song into something sick and warped. I love it!

Raist

Ein Neuer Mensch ist unsichtbar, Neuer Mensch ist schoen
Neuer Mensch ist kampfbereit, Neuer Mensch ist grausam kalt

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/7878

Marc42

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

On Mon, 07 Apr 1997 23:47:07 -0500, bnw...@artsci.wustl.edu (angels
all speed) wrote:

>In article <3349AE...@washington.xtn.net>,
>poohn...@washington.xtn.net wrote:
>
>> James Cooney wrote:
>>
>> > All this talk of industrial bands covering more mainstream stuff got me
>> > thinking. Have any bands in a genre other than electro-industrial done
>> > covers of industrial stuff?

>I've seen Primus do Stigamta live, actually it might have been Thieves.

>And The Urge used to do a bit of Stigmata in concert.

SOD (an Anthrax side project) do both Theives and Stigmata.

A better question might be, does anyone cover anything BESIDES
Stigmata?

>flail (who would like to hear Primus do Neubauten for some reason)

Me too. Let's think of some others...

Tori Amos- Dead Boys Don't Say No

They Might Be Giants- Go To Hell

DC Talk-Days Of Swine & Roses (Just kidding!)

;p
Marc

Marc42's Wee Humble Corner Of Psiberspace
Home of "id" World Domination Headquarters
and A Salute To Wallace & Ladmo
http://www.azaccess.com/~marc42

New "id" song sample now online!
E-Mail: mar...@azaccess.com

Christopher Randall

Apr 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/9/97

angels all speed wrote:

> flail (who would like to hear Primus do Neubauten for some reason)

Heehee. Yü Güng would become "Leggo my Eggo." Now, that I'd like to
hear.

-Chris Randall
-Who all of the sudden finds himself with a hell of a lot of free
time...

Aak

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

Andrew Brenycz <bren...@pirate.shu.edu> wrote:

<
<
<Any opinions?
I like Templebeat's cover of "She's lost control" Makes me almost
want to listen to Joy Division.

Love and Peace
Aak

Overture20

Apr 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/10/97

The best covers by an industrial band (for me) can be found on Laibach's
_Let it Be_ album:

1] "Accross the Universe" is the only Beatles cover that I honestly think
is better than the original, and

2] "For You Blue" is beautiful in a way that defies description. As a
friend of mine said when she first heard it "It's like a symphony... with
a beat...?"

-Le Penguin
"Remember, damaged people are dangerous...
... they know they can survive."

nra...@newsmail.tafensw.edu.au

Apr 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/11/97

In article <5i171o$c...@nnrp1.news.primenet.com>, Soren Ragsdale <so...@primenet.com> writes:

[snip]

> I'd like to point out that I'm STILL waiting for someone to do a nice
> crunchy cover of "staying alive". There's a rap version by N-Trance which
> is far from good, but suffices as a proof-of-concept

And I'm also waiting for someone to cover The Strangler's _Nice & Sleazy_
(guess I'll be waiting a long time...)

Nick Rands Title: Computer Support Officer
User Services Phone: ( 02)9950 1621
Information Technology Bureau Fax: ( 02)9950 1600
TAFE NSW, Australia Internet: nick....@tafensw.edu.au

allen jaeger jr.

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97

skinny puppy fans check out the skinny puppy convulsion page at:

www.ucalgary.ca/~tquinn/

filled with stuff worth seeing

allen jaeger jr.

Apr 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/13/97