Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

PWEI Sample List v2.07

閲覧: 565 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

T E Walsh

未読、
1994/12/20 15:27:161994/12/20
To:
# ________ ______ __________ #
# | | \ / | | | \ \ / | | | #
# \| [*][*] |/ | | \ / |_______ | | #
# | \/\/\/\| | ______/ \ /\ / | | #
# \____ | \/ \/ |__________ | * #
# #
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# * POP WILL SAMPLE ITSELF! * #
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------#
# THE INCREDIBLE PWEI`S SAMPLING LIST (VERSION 2.07) #
# [11/25/94] #
# (All the bits that are fit to spit!) #
# #

SAMPLING:
In music, the practice of capturing segments of
existing recordings and including these captured
'samples' in a new work.

A lot of Pop WILL Eat Itself's music relies on samples of film soundtracks,
spoken voice recordings, television programs, and commercial music (Pop and
otherwise) to provide atmosphere, reference points, themes, or even underlying
structure to their compositions. This innovative and bold approach is a large
part of PWEI's appeal. Many fans of their music were initially drawn to PWEI as
the result of a particular sample. In my case, it was the groundbreaking use of
the Twilight Zone TV theme in combination with the quasi-religious mantra of
"Big Mac, fries to go!" on 'Def.Con.One' (Arguably their biggest US hit). For
others, it might be Dirty Harry saying "Go ahead..." on 'Preaching To the
Perverted', Jack Nicholson's Joker warning "Never rub another man's rhubarb!",
or the gangs in the film 'The Warriors' yelling "Riffs - Yeah!" in 'Can U Dig
It?'. Their more recent efforts have been utilising multiple layers of shorter
samples to build textural or structural foundations for their music. Examples
of this technique include the use of the 'Terminator 2' theme in 'Ich Bin Ein
Auslander', and the U2 'Until The End Of The World' rhythm in
'MeNoFearTheReaper'. Regardless of the way it's applied, the technique of
sampling is part of what makes PWEI PWEI!

- Dave Read, list-minder

This list is a somewhat futile attempt to identify each and every 'sampled'
segment contained in the vast panoply of PWEI's work. It is an outgrowth
of a similar list originally collated and compiled by the following kind souls,
whose contributions are greatly appreciated:

* jas...@panix.com (Jason Street)
* aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk (Andrew Shires)
* vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au (Peter Vamplew)
* weit...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Adam J. Weitzman)
* bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz
* ja...@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen)
* ai...@castle.ed.ac.uk (Paul Crowley)
* bm...@andrew.cmu.edu (Brendan P. McFeely)
* ti...@sco.COM (Tim Ervin)
* st88...@pip.cc.brandeis.edu (Jason Bilsky)
* t.e....@durham.ac.uk (Tezzer).
* ro...@negativland.concorde.com (Joe Turner)

Special thanks to Tezzer Walsh for doing the FAQ, for the discography, for
passing me this list, and for keeping the PWEI torch lit. (Fanning the flames,
and _not_ flaming the fans...) Attaboy, Tez!

All contributions are welcome. Since there is no feasible method of veryifying
some of the 'suggested' content or sources, all suggestions will be included.
(To be added to the list, comments must contain information or opinions not
already appearing in the list.) Challenges or validations of these IDs are
always welcome, and will appear in future versions of the list.
If, for some reason, you wish to have your email address witheld, please
indicate so in your message.

Send contributions to: davi...@delphi.com

LIST STRUCTURE:

----------------
| Release Titles | appear inside boxes as shown.
|----------------|

{ Composition Titles } appear inside curly (nyuk nyuk) brackets.

(I) General information about a composition follows a big I.

-> Sample ID descriptions follow arrows.

(#1) Sample sources follow number (pound) symbols. Source
titles appear inside 'Single Quotes'. The name of the
person supplying the info appears in square brackets
at the end of any remarks. [John 'Poppy' Doe - j...@junk.edu]

# Unecessary editorial commentary by list-minder enclosed between pound signs #

==== Releases are separated by double lines.
---- Compositions are separated by single lines.

Changes for version 2.07:

More new source IDs and interesting comments...
Uncredited comments are leftovers from previous versions of the
list - contributors are unknown. If anyone can fill in the blanks,
drop me a line.

Also, I seem to have had a bit of an organizational problem:
somewhere along the line, I managed to lose several messages,
including (I think) some with material for the sample list.
If you sent something to me before Thanksgiving (Apologies to those
not in the US... That's November 24.) and it doesn't appear
in this version of the list, please please please send it again
(accompanied by a severe reprimand if desired) and I'll make sure
it gets in the next version.

!N! <- New items to this version are marked thusly -> !N!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

-----------------
| Now For A Feast |
|-----------------|

-> (NO SAMPLES AS YET IDENTIFIED FROM THIS RELEASE.)

---------------
| Go Box Frenzy |
|---------------|

{ Grebo Guru }

-> "Any minute now, Pop Will Eat Itself"

(#1) This a Radio One DJ whose name I have forgotten
(R1 is the UK's only national popular music station)
[ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

(#2) Andy Kershaw, possibly.
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

(#3) ...apparently Mark Ellen wetting his knickers on the Old
Grey Whistle Test (RIP, or do my ears deceive me but are
MTV Europe going to resurrect it?) Think this was for the
'Sweet Sweet Pie' video.
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

-> "Very much like scruffy pigs to look at" etc.

(#1) This is Johnny Morris, a children's TV presenter on BBC1.
He did a program that has finished now, called `Animal
Magic' which basically talked about animals. He also did
silly voice overs to footage of animals in their habitats
(often zoos -- shows the Beeb weren't worried about zoo
ethics a few years back :-)
[ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Are you aware of the razor's edge on which you're living?"

(#1) This is taken from an interview with Donald Campbell
before he got into Bluebird and attempted the speed
record. I remember hearing this in an episode of 'The
Rock And Roll Years'.

[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ Beaver Patrol }

-> "Attention young ladies! Attention young ladies!"

(Source unidentified)

-> "I`m out!"

(#1) From crappy 70's trucking film called 'Convoy'.
[ Martin Grainger - mjg...@tower.york.ac.uk ]

-> "How d`ya keep your wheels spinnin`, when the Beaver`s grinnin`?"

(#1) From 'Convoy' also. It fits the film and also the voice
speaking sounds familiar.
[ Mr M L Wrightman - py...@csv.warwick.ac.uk ]

(#2) From one of the 'Smokey And The Bandit' films.
(#1, I think.) There's a bit where the police have forced
a truck driver to talk to Burt Reynolds on the CB and he
says the above. (I've only seen the film once, really.)
[ Ian Whitfield - iwhi...@lehman.com ]

{ Let's Get Ugly }

-> "Rockman Rock!"

(#1) Justified Ancients of MuMu's 'Rockman Rock'
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

-> "The time sponsored by Accurist will be..."

(#1) This is a recording of the Speaking Clock service that
British Telecom run (you ring a number to find the exact
GMT time) [ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "do one more..."

(#1) (Source unknown, but) also in Art of Noise's (live)
'Peter Gunn Theme'

(#2) This is definitely Duane Eddy, sampled from a _studio_ mix
of 'Peter Gunn' that I've got somewhere.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "..precisely"

(#1) Speaking clock again!
[ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ U.B.L.U.D (United By Love Until Death) }

-> Kind of a gulping noise. (A very abruptly edited sample)

(Source unknown)

-> Infinite looping vocal "Ahhh"

(#1) I could easily be wrong, but it sounds like Jon
Anderson of Yes. [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(#2) Don't think this can really be credited as a sample as a
young lady called Ruth was credited somewhere for doing
some girly vocals for them.
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

{ Inside You }

(No samples identified)

{ Evelyn }

!N! -> Nusic box and accompaniment

(#1) From Ridley Scott's film 'Legend'. The scene in which
the demon gives the princess a bridal gown.
[ Cindy Lee - cynd...@delphi.com ]

{ There Is No Love Between Us Anymore }

-> "When I fall in love, it will be..."

(#1) Nat King Cole's 'When I fall in love'

-> "and now it`s gone, gone, gone, whoah"
-> "and I can`t go on, whoah" (Club Remix version)

(#1) both from the Righteous Brother's 'You've Lost that
Loving Feeling' [ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

-> "She loves me... She loves me not!" (Female voice)

(#1) Sounds like Dianna Rigg as Emma Peel in the TV show
'The Avengers' [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ She's Surreal }

-> That wailing bit before "When she wears hoop stockings..."

(#1) From some Marc Bolan / T Rex ditty.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ Intergalactic Love Mission }

-> "Wham, bam!"

(#1) Part of the chorus of Wham's 'Wham Rap'
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

-> "Lock all doors"

(Source unidentified)

-> "We're here to take care of you"

(Source unidentified)

-> Porn movie heavy breathing

(Source unidentified)

-> "Leave a sample in the jar please!"

(#1) This is from a low-budget 60's horror film called 'The
House That Dripped Blood' or some other nonsense. Anyway,
there's a woman who is in a trance, and ectoplasm starts
worming out of the end of her fingers, and a bloke who is
studying this phenomena as a scientific experiment tells
her to leave a sample of the ectoplasm in a jar. I know
it sounds dodgy, but it's true!
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ Love Missle F1-11 }

-> "Woo! Come on everybody"

(#1) Eddie Cochrane, from the song of the same name.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

(I) This is a remake of Sigue Sigue Sputnik's song
[ Adam J. Weitzman - weit...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu ]

(I) There are also many references to the Poppies earlier singles:
`She tried to shoot the Poppies, but the POPPIES SAY GRRR..'
'She went to the disco, `cos she wanted to rock
But the guys on the door said, "it`s just POPPIECOCK"'
'She asked me could she borrow my F1-11
I said it`s SWEET SWEET PIE, and took her up to heaven.."'
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

{ Hit The Hi-Tech Groove }

-> "Tay, tay, tay, tay" etc.

(#1) Mel and Kim Appleby's 'Respectable'
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

(I) Quote should be "Take, take, take, take" etc. because the
next line in 'Respectable' is "Take a little time..."
[ Cyndy Lee - cynd...@delphi.com ]

-> "Stand and deliver!"

(#1) 'Stand and Deliver' by Adam and the Ants.
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

-> There is a _big_ section (bass and melody)

(#1) from 'The Jack That House Built', an oldish house track
by Jack 'n' Chill. [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

-> "Don't mean robbin', stealin', or muggin'."

(#1) A song called 'We're Only Bugging' by Whistle.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ Razorblade Kisses }

(I) This is the music to an old BBC children's programme (with small
caricature models done with stop-frame animation) called
Camberwick Green (it is basically about the people in a town
called Camberwick Green and usually involves scenes with windmills
and things :-) [ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "This is a musical box.." bit at the start

(#1) sounds like part of a UK children's show called
PlaySchool, however this is just a guess. I do know it
was also used as an intro to "Burundi Blues" by Beats
International.
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

(#2) Could that too be taken from 'Camberwick Green','Trumpton'
or perhaps 'Chigley'?(Similar stop-frame children`s shows)

(#3) The sample is definitely Brian Cant speaking at the
beginning of either 'Camberwick Green' or 'Trumpton'
(can't remember which). Also, the music box tune is
ripped off 'Evelyn'.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

!N! (#4) Definitely defo from the BBC 1 educational short-story
program 'Music Box', that I remember being force-fed
in primary school. (verified by Graham Crabb)
[ Darren White - d.w...@shu.ac.uk ]

| This Is The Day... This Is The Hour... This Is THIS! |
|------------------------------------------------------|

{ PWEI Is A Four Letter Word }

-> "P WEI...PWE...I"

(#1) from PWEI's 'Radio PWEI'

-> "This is the sound of..."

(#1) PWEI's 'Hit the High-Tech Groove' [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

{ Preaching To The Perverted }

-> "ugly"

(#1) PWEI`s 'Ugly' [ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Go ahead..."

(#1) Clint Eastwood's classic line from "Dirty Harry"

-> "Kick a hole in the speaker"

(#1) Eric B. and Rakim (I don't know which song)
[bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

(#2) It could be from 'Paid In Full' - that was Eric B. and
Rakim's main hit single.
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

-> "This is the law!"

(#1) Animal men from the film 'The Island Of Doctor Moreau'
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(I) On the version that appears on the '16 Different Flavours Of Hell'
compilation, the drumbeat is sampled from 'Cicciolina'. (It
features dfferent lyrics, oddly)
[DJ Duncy C - D.C...@herts.ac.uk ]

(I) The version on '16 Diff...' is in fact the remix version (by Flood
I think, - though it could be Youth) which appeared on the 'Dance
Of The Mad' single. [ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

-> In the remix version there are several little guitar samples

(#1) They're from Jimi Hendrix: 'Foxy Lady', from the riff
right after he stops and says "Foxy lady".
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(I) In the remix, they sampled "sheet" from "...stains on the sheet..."
and inserted it into the following line so it becomes "...sheet on
the pavement..." (Accompanied by a little censor's "beep"). But
actually, I think it gives the tune a little more meaning,
considering the police practice of covering a murder victim with a
sheet... [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> "Can you dig it?"

(#1) From the film 'The Warriors'. (See comments in 'Can U
Dig It?'.) [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> "Oh yeah"

(#1) On the remix, it's taken from the Poppies' own 'Ugly'.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Make some noise!"

(#1) The intro to the 'It Takes A Nation Of Millions' album
by Public Enemy.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Shake what you got!"

(#1) Salt 'N' Pepa, 'Shake Your Thang'
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Yeah that's right, kick it!"

(#1) A sample from a track that escapes me on Public Enemy's
'Yo! Bum Rush The Show'.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Hell yeah (Hell yeah)"

(#1) Talky bit before 'Terminator X To The Edge Of Panic' on
Public Enemy's '...Nation Of Millions' album.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "The perverts! The perverts! Coming out of the closet!"

(#1) The Shamen sampled this quote from some American
evangelist on 'Jesus Loves America' (Is it Jimmy
Swaggert?), so it could have come from either source.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

!N! (I) I can't actually proffer much more evidence, but it is
DEFINITELY a US tele-evangelist of mid-eighties vintage.
Whilst watching Saturday 12th November's edition of
'Late Again' (a weekly compilation of the BBC arts
strand 'The Late Show') there was an item on the
Christian Right in the US, and their increasing
interest in previously secular forms of media, including
music and videogames. During this, there was a brief
montage of US tele-evangelists, including a clip of a
man (not Jim Bakker, but could easily be Swaggart)
talking about how he was "...sick and tired of the
commies, the pinkos... the atheists, the perverts...
coming out of the closet..." and general ranting about
the threat of nice, rational, tolerant people to the
very fabric of society, etc. etc.
[ Dan Staines - d...@mole.bio.cam.ac.uk ]

-> Drum fanfare before the above quote

(#1) Taken from 'Kray Twins' by Renegade Soundwave (Just after
"I'm much obliged, boys").
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

# NOTE: How about a round of applause to Simon Salwan for that
incredible run of IDs? Wow! _Dave_ #

{ Wise Up! Sucker }

-> "She loves me not" (spoken)

(Source unknown)

(I) The "She loves me, she loves me not" bits are sung by Miles Hunt
of The Wonder Years (Clint's old flat-mate) - he's credited as
'Twig the Wonder Twig'. [ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

(I) Shouldn't that be Miles Hunt of 'The Wonder Stuff'?
^^^^^
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

(I) It was Twig the WonderKid on vocals...
^^^
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

!N! # NOTE: Anyone who knows Tezzer, knows those were just typos... He
has _got_ to be the most well-informed fan there is!
Thanks anyway, guys for keeping us on our toes! _Dave_ #

{ Sixteen Different Flavours Of Hell }

-> "Shee-eee-eee's"

(#1) PWEI's 'She's Surreal' off 'Go Box Frenzy'

-> "Sixteen different flavours of hell"

(#1) PWEI's 'Wise Up! Sucker' [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

{ Inject Me }

-> "You played it for her, now play it for me. Play it."

(#1) Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

-> About 2 minutes in, there's a sample of a girl singing. It's also
used on a B-side on the 'Wise Up Sucker' 12", called 'Orgyone
Stimulator'. You have to listen very hard to hear it. The sample
makes up the basis of this tune.

(Source unknown) [ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

{ Can U Dig It? }

-> "RIFFS - YEAH!"

(#1) From the movie, `The Warriors`
[ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

-> "Let's get down to it, boppers"

(#1) `The Warriors` again.

-> Under "let's get down to it boppers" (Also in Def.Con.One)

(#1) Brief Twilight Zone sample [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

-> Now infamous Guitar Riff

(#1) Possibly 'We Care A Lot' by Faith No More.
[Joe Turner - ro...@negativland.concorde.com]

(#2) I reckon it's The Buzzard, myself, but this is not the
time or place for a debate...
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

# NOTE: Sure it is!... Let's hear some more opinions. _Dave_ #

(#3) OK. My opinion is that it isn't Faith No More - I've got
that song and although it's similar, I don't think it's
sampled here.
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

!N! (#4) I think it sounds more like RamJam Corporation's
'Black Betty' than Faith No More's 'We Care A Lot'.
[ Mark Lambert - mar...@microsoft.com ]

-> "Can U Dig It?"

(#1) Isn't this from 'The Warriors' as well?
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ The Fuses Have Been Lit }

-> "...you pick the heart! And remember-"

-> "Because bigger is better -- that old American tradition"

(#1) From the movie 'Robocop'
[ Paul Crowley - ai...@castle.ed.ac.uk ]

-> "Elway is going for the bomb..."

(#1) as in football quarterback John Elway of the Denver
Broncos) I think there are also samples from
'Transformers: The Movie' in here.
[ Brendan P. McFeely - bm...@andrew.cmu.edu ]

(I) It's almost certainly from Superbowl XXII - Denver vs
Washington. Ricky Nattiel scored on a bomb from Elway on
Denver's first play.
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

-> "This is THIS... This ain't somethin' else!"

(#1) Robert DeNiro, from the film 'The Deer Hunter'
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ Poison To The Mind }

-> "Somewhere in the sprawling metropolis, another job for..."

(#1) Superman?

(#2) This was taken from a Rice Krispies ad from ages ago where
Snap, Crackle and Pop are portrayed as superheroes.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

# Snap, Crackle and Pop Will Eat Itself! _Dave_ #

-> "Music is just... Organized noise"
-> "I don`t like songs"
-> "Poison to the Mind"

(Source unknown)

{ Def.Con.One }

-> music under "Big Mac, fries to go"

(#1) The Twilight Zone theme (along with part of the
beginning monologue)

-> "Right now!"

(#1) The Creatures (Siouxsie and Budgie from the Banshees'
side project), from their version of 'Right Now'
[nara...@orion.oac.uci.edu]

(#2) This sounds like something from a 60's chewing gum
commercial! [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(#3) It's definitely from the Creatures' track.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Let's get down to it boppers"

(#1) The film 'The Warriors'
[ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

(I) Special tie-in note: Renegade Soundwave uses the last line
from 'The Warriors' on the 12th song of their CD
'Soundclash'. [ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

(I) In the single version of 'Def.Con.One', the entire drum track is
sampled from 'Beat Dis' by Bomb the Bass. The drums were
re-recorded for the album version though (unfortunately).

-> Drum 'roll' at beginning and repeated throughout tune

(#1) Is a standard sample, used _everywhere_ (I think it's from
some old Motown soul track).

-> High-pitched melodic line after "Ground floor... coming up!"

(#1) Melody from Lipps Inc's 'Funky Town' (sampled or
rerecorded?)

!N! (#2) Sampled from the Aussie group Pseudo Echo's cover
version of Lipps Inc's 'Funky Town'. (verified by
Graham Crabb)
[ Darren White - d.w...@shu.ac.uk ]

(I) The "ground floor - coming up" line could be a quote from the
graphic novel 'Watchmen' by Dave Gibbons & Alan Moore (Who is
also referred to in 'Can U Dig It?').
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(I) The whole song has Watchmen quotes from "Big Mac, fries to go!" to
"Ten to Doomsday".
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "To the left/To the right y'all"

(#1) Run DMC (?) [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

-> The "Whaa" bits in the chorus

(#1) from the Osmonds' 'Crazy Horses'
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]
-> Squealy guitar

(#1) 'Wild Horses' (?) by Eric Clapton (Not sure, will come
to me in time)
[ Martin Grainger - mjg...@tower.york.ac.uk ]

-> "Check 1! Check 2! Check 3! Right about now..."

(#1) Salt 'N' Pepa, 'My Mike Sounds Nice'
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ Radio PWEI }

-> "I can't live without my radio"

(#1) LL Cool J's 'I Can't Live Without My Radio'

-> "Couldn't survive without my radio"

(#1) World Domination Enterprises' cover of the above

-> "Talking...Talking...Talking to you"

(#1) Tears For Fears' 'Shout'

-> "That's Right"

(I) Also used in Mantronix' 'Get Stupid (part III)'
[bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

-> "Yeah, that's right, kick it!"

(#1) Flavor Flav of Public Enemy - could be any of a number
of Public Enemy songs.
[ Douglas Bonser - SPIK...@delphi.com ]

(I) Not a sample, but the line "We'll talk of anything, everything if
you want, thing." is VERY similar to the following line from Pink
Floyd's 'Bike' off of 'The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn': "I'll
give you anything, everything that you want, thing."
[ Douglas Bonser - SPIK...@delphi.com ]

(I) "Astley's in the noose..." - A reference to The Wonder Stuff's
'Astley In The Noose'?? [ Douglas Bonser - SPIK...@delphi.com ]

-> The horn fanfare at the beginning is taken from some James Brown
track ('This Is A Man's World'?).
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Say turn it up! Suckers! Suckers!"
^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^
(#1) This is from some track or other by KRS 1 / Boogie
Down Productions.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ Shortwave Transmission On "Up To The Minuteman Nine" }

-> "Radio, TV and video"

(#1) PWEI's 'Radio PWEI' [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

-> "Offer expires while you wait"

(#1) Eric Idle [ Brendan P. McFeely - bm...@andrew.cmu.edu ]

(#2) Eric Idle, playing 'Wreck-Gar' in 'Transformers: The
Movie' (The lads do like their Japanese comic based
animated movies, don't they?'
[ DJ Duncy C - D.C...@herts.ac.uk ]

(I) Much of the musical structure is from a large sample of 'Mama'
by Genesis.

{ Satellite Ecstatica }

-> "Do not panic"

(Source unknown)

{ Not Now James, We're Busy! }

-> "I wanna get into it, man, you know!"
-> "Fellas, I'm ready to get up and do my thing"
-> "We're gonna do a song..."
-> "Whaaaooah!!"

(#1) -- all the above courtesy Mr James Brown
[bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

(I) Also the _original_ 'Funky Drummer' rhythm is sampled (not just
copied) [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

{ Wake Up! Time To Die.. }

-> one of the musical elements (I can't exactly describe it!) -- a
sort of heavy clashing sound --

(#1) Is a sample from `Kray Twins' by Renegade Soundwave
[ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]
-> "Wake up! Time to die!"

(#1) From the film 'Bladerunner' - Leons says it before he is
about to kill Deckard

--------------------------
| The PWEI Cure for Sanity |
|--------------------------|

{ The Incredible P.W.E.I. vs. The Moral Majority }

(I) Jimmy Swaggart gives the monologue

(I) That sure doesn't sound like Swaggart to me... This guy sounds
too coherent, and he's not blubbering about anything!
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(I) Themes or phrases from all of the tunes on the disc appear under
the monologue. [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ Dance Of The Mad Bastards }

(I) Twilight Zone theme can be heard very faintly during the first
verse. [ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

(I) Contains the same guitar bit that was in 'Can U Dig It?' (the part
right before "Riffs? (Yeah!)", d-k-dannh, d-k-dannh...)
[ Adam J. Weitzman - weit...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu ]

-> A diving synth sound at the end of the first verse. (It's real low,
if you don't listen carefully, you'll miss it.)

(#1) From the beginning of PWEI's 'Can U dig It?'
[ Jason Bilsky - st88...@pip.cc.brandeis.edu ]

-> High distorted guitar stab and yell

(#1) PWEI's 'Sixteen Different Flavours of Hell'
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> "You've stopped dancing"

(#1) The Who, from 'Quadrophenia'
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> "Get up! - And make it snappy!"

(#1) Dickie in Roman Polanski's mid 60's film 'Cul De Sac'.
[ Dan - sds...@ocvaxa.cc.oberlin.edu ]

(I) Listen carefully and you can also hear the high-pitched plinks
from the end of 'Wise Up Sucker!' / intro to '16 Different
Flavors Of Hell'.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Ooh Ahh-ahh"

(#1) From an obscure song by Marina Van Roy called 'Sly One'.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ 88 Seconds... & Still Counting }

-> drum loop

(#1) The THE's `Armegeddon Days Are Here (Again)' off of
'Mind Bomb'. [ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

!N! -> Angry crowd chanting "Death to the Klan!"

(#1) from news footage of an anti - Ku Klux Klan demonstration
in Greensburg, North Carolina (spoken in the background by
a newsreader-type voice) in the late seventies. I believe
the incident led to the death of a protestor.
[ Dan Staines - d...@mole.bio.cam.ac.uk ]

-> "You shut up!"
-> "Mayor, what's wrong?"
-> "We've got to..." ? "... together"

(Source unknown)

(I) I think the final sample went "We got to work together, come on',
thus continuing the theme of the song.
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

{ X Y & Zee }

(I) Aerosmith's Sweet Emotion [ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

-> "Let me tell you something about love, it has a voracious
appetite... It eats anything." "Well, I'll tell you something else,
you feed it right and it can be a beautiful thing and that's what
we have..." "So watch out world! 'Cause nobody can stop it! Nobody!
Ever!"

# Thanks to [ David Falkner - fal...@amisk.cs.ualberta.ca ]
for filling in some of the blanks! _Dave_ #

(#1) The film version of Stephen King's 'Christine'
[ Bill Bjelf via Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> "Je t'aime!" "Encore!"

# (Spelling correction courtesy of Noah Mittman <g>) #

(#1) from the film 'Betty Blue'
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

-> "No Pop! No Style!"

(#1) Althea and Donna, 'Uptown Toprankin'', a classic 70's
number 1 song.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

!N! -> Looped piano sample

(#1) from 'Slim Jenkin's Place' by Booker T. & The MG's.
I believe this is on their album 'Hip Hug-Her'.
[ Kurt Revis - kre...@cco.caltech.edu ]

{ City Zen Radio 1990/2000 FM }

-> The warbling sound during the street sounds

(#1) I think this is something from 'BladeRunner' too; the
sound in the streets just after Deckard killed the first
Replicant? [ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> The high-pitched voice singing "T.R.O.U.B.L.E."

(#1) Is the same one as in 'We Got Trouble" by Age of Chance
[ Adam J. Weitzman - weit...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu ]

{ Dr. Nightmare's Medication Time }

-> "Everybody come in" (or something similar to that)
-> "We LIKE it, we LIKE it!"

(#1) Stuff from the Flintstones cartoon - first, Barney Rubble,
then Wilma & Betty. [ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

(#2) the Barney Rubble line is "Is everybody tuned in?"
[ DJ Duncy C - D.C...@herts.ac.uk ]

-> The metallic "Move your body"

(#1) Also appeared on 'Don't Make Me Wait' by Bomb the Bass,
but as BTB made heavy use of samples this probably
isn't the original source.
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

-> "Shake Your Rump"

(#1) Is the same quote that the Beastie Boys sampled in their
song of the same name.
[ Adam J. Weitzman - weit...@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu ]

-> "Doo do do doo do do doo do do" (etc) at the very beginning

(#1) Was first sampled by Coldcut in their remix of Eric B &
Rakim's 'Paid in Full' [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

-> "Rockman rock"

(#1) Same sample as in 'Ugly'
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

(I) Dr. Nightmare, credited on the album, was the name given to the
Poppies' drum machine. He now lives in a retirement home for
severely battered musical instruments on the South Coast of
England, after having been replaced by funky young upstart Fuzz.
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

(I) Is there a chance that the drum machine story is being confused
with the fact that the Sisters Of Mercy call their drum machine
"Dr. Avalanche"? [ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

!N! (I) Nope - read 'The Eight Legged Atomic Dustbin Will Eat Itself'
by Martin Roach, and also check out the sleeves of 'Cure For
Sanity' and 'This Is The Day...'
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

{ Touched By The Hand Of Cicciolina }

(I) TONS of BBC Football (Soccer! :-) coverage (John Motson etc)
(I) Cicciolina is of course the Italian Porn Queen MP
[ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

(I) She offered to perform oral sex on Khomeni in exchange for Peace!
(Anecdotal) [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> A repeating metallic percussion shaker that appears about 1:50
into the album version

(#1) From 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' by Yes. (It's also
present at the start of the Renegade Soundwave
'Smoothneck' remix.) [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ 1000x No! }

-> "What do we want? RESPECT! Yeah! When do we want it? RIGHT NOW!"

(Source unknown)

{ Psychosexual }

-> Bassline

(#1) I think I recognised this from a Stone Roses song called
(I think) 'These Boots Are Made For Walking'. I'm very
unsure.

(#2) deny it.
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

-> Deep bass notes, xylophone chords and the instrumental fadeout bit

(#1) Are all sampled from the same song -- I wish I knew what
it was called. [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

(#2) I always thought it was a classical piece.
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

(#3) Yeah, it's definitly from a classical piece, (Prelude to
The Afternoon Of A Fawn' by Debussy?) it was used in wine
commercials on US TV in the early 70's.
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(#4) C'mon guys, this is Erik Satie's 'Trois Gymnopedies'.
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

(#5) That classical Piece is Eric Satie's 'Gymnopedie I for
Piano'. They play the opening bars in an infinite loop,
and then let the main theme come through near the end.
A cool piece in its own right, but I love the way they
syncopate it by fucking around with the strong beats.
[ David Falkner - fal...@amisk.cs.ualberta.ca ]

{ Axe Of Men }

(No samples identified)

{ Another Man's Rhubarb }

-> "Never rub another man`s rhubarb! Hee hee hee!"

(#1) Jack Nicholson (as Joker in Batman)
[ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]
-> Oriental-sounding female vocals

(Source unknown)

-> "We are the people. We suffered. We were there..."

(#1) From the political campaign in the film 'Taxi Driver'.
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

(I) 'Another Man's Rhubarb' on '16 Different Flavours...' suffers
from a bad case of the 'Mysteres des Voix Bulgares' by the
sounds of it.
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

!N! -> "Bungle, bungle" (sounds like it's an instrument)

(#1) it's actually Zippy from the former children's TV program
'Rainbow'. (verified by Graham Crabb)
[ Darren White - d.w...@shu.ac.uk ]

{ Medicine Man Speak With Forked Tongue }

-> "You CAN fly without fear. You WILL fly without fear. You are
DETERMINED to fly without fear."

# Source unknown, but it sure sounds like a self-hypnosis
tape...#

{ Nightmare At 20,000FT }

-> "What you`re looking at could be the end of a particularly
terrifying nightmare. It isn`t.. it`s the beginning!"

(#1) Burgess Meredith (the Penguin) doing the intro.

(#2) Yeah, it's Burgess Meredith, but it's from the
opening of the Twilight Zone episode which features
Meredith as the last human survivor of some apocalyptic
event, standing in front of an undamaged library. (He's
happy, 'cause he loves books... 'Til he steps on his
reading glasses... oops.)
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(#3) From 'Twilight Zone - The Movie'. Anyway... It shows
the plane in a storm and then has the voice over: "What
you are looking at..." I remember this because I first
saw the movie on a plane... Not very clever of Qantas.
[ James Ward - j...@ecr.mu.oz.au ]

(#4) I could have sworn that that was the opening to the
TZ episode about the creature on the wing of the plane
with Bill Shatner which (surprise!) was called "Nightmare
At 20,000 Ft". [ Noah Mittman - bla...@panix.com ]

# OK OK, I must be wrong... Time to hit Blockbuster and do some
heavy research! Hey! Maybe they sampled the TV episode I'm talking
about for the movie? _Dave_ #

-> "Welcome to hell!"

(#1) Jean-Claude Van Damme's movie `Death Warrant'.
[ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

-> "Fasten your seatbelt"
-> "Hope you enjoyed the ride"

(#1) From the film 'Total Recall'
[ Jason Bilsky - st88...@pip.cc.brandeis.edu ]

(I) Twilight Zone episode with same name is sampled

(I) An honourable mention must go to the unidentified "If I ever get
my hands on the f***ing son of a bitch who built that f***ing
plane, I'll rip his goddamn f***ing face off!"
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

!N! -> Horn sample at the 2:27 mark or so

(#1) It's off a cop show or similar. I don't think it's
'Perry Mason' or 'Dragnet'... It reminds me of someone
running after some crim... (No, it's not the RHCP 'Under
The Bridge' video clip)
[ Richard Smyth - ric...@ecr.mu.oz.au ]

{ Very Metal Noise Pollution }

-> "Very metal" and "Noise pollution"

(#1) Are from PWEI's 'Preaching to the Perverted' off 'This Is
THIS'. [bm...@cs.aukuni.ac.nz]

(I) The phrase "very metal" was used by Adrian Edmondson (of
'Young Ones' fame) in the 'Comic Strip Presents' episode
about the heavy metal band 'Bad News'. Don't know whether
this is a sample of that show, inspired by it or completely
unrelated. (Maybe 'Comic Strip' sampled PWEI? :-).)
[ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

!N! (I) I think it's related - especially as Vyv in 'The Young
Ones' had "Very Metal" studded on his jacket. But it
came a LONG time before PWEI...
[ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

-> "That's noise pollution what you're doing!"

(#1) Apparently from the film 'Christine'
(Thanks alt.music.alternative)
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

{ 92 deg. F (The 3rd Degree) }

-> The loop at the very beginning

(#1) Is from a song by the Glove. (Robert "The Cure" Smith and
Steven "Siouxsie & the Banshees" Severin's little solo
project -> 'The Glove') [ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

-> During the first break in the song (After the line "I wish I could
do it... do it")

(#1) Part of Simon & Garfunkel's 'Cecilia'
[ Tim Ervin - ti...@sco.COM ]

-> The speeded-up drum loop at about 3:40 into the song

(#1) Is by Japan from their song 'Visions of China'
[ Ned Raggett ]
-> OK, while we're making Japan comparisons, the keyboard sequence
behind "Night and day I got a place to stay" -

(#1) - is the intro to 'Quiet Life'
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

{ Lived In Splendour: Died In Chaos }

-> Echo-ey synth at beginning and end

(#1) Samples of BladeRunner opening credits music (Performed
by Vangelis) [ Andrew Shires - aj...@cs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ The Beat That Refused To Die }

-> About 1:44 into the tune, there's a slowed-down sample of laughter

(#1) I'm not certain, but it sounds to me like it might be
Caesar Romero as the Joker from the 'Batman' TV show...
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(I) Elements of this tune appear in several other tunes on the disc.
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> Intro noises

(#1) Swiped from '...20000 ft'.
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-----------------------------
| The Looks or the Lifestlye? |
|-----------------------------|

{ England`s Finest }

-> Low-Fi, brassy segment at end (with TV whine)

(#1) 'Mod Squad' TV show theme?
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{Eat Me, Drink Me, Love Me, Kill Me! }

-> "La la... La la" at end

(#1) From 'Never Trust A Man (With Egg On His Face)' from
'Dirk Wears White Sox'.
[ Mark Lambert - mar...@microsoft.com ]

{ Mother }

(No samples identified)

{ Get The Girl! Kill The Baddies! } ( { Ruff Justice } in the US)

(No samples identified)

(I) I can't recognize any samples, but the title is from a line in
'Total Recall', describing the adventure holiday Arnie is about
to embark on. [ Peter Vamplew - vam...@probitas.cs.utas.edu.au ]

{ I`ve Always Been A Coward, Baby }

# No samples identified - see note under 'Token Drug Song' #

{ Token Drug Song }

-> The percussive breathing ("Doh! Doh! Eeeehhh-Hahhh!") It's
clearest at the start of the song, used under the beat.

(#1) Clown Gang music from the Japanese animated film 'Akira'
[ Noah Mittman - bla...@panix.com ]

# NOTE: I inadvertently listed this one under 'I've Always
Been A Coward, Baby' in Previous versions of the list.
Thanks, Noah! _Dave_ #

{ Karmadrome }

-> "The power... exists in everyone"
-> "There`s no other way!'

(#1) Both from 'Akira'. [ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

-> Big vocal chorus

(#1) I'm probably wrong, but it sounds like the Stones'
'You Can't Always Get What You Want'.
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ Urban Futuristic }

-> "My mama told me... to tell YOU!"

(Source unknown)

-> There's a percussive sound that kind of goes "vweeep".

(#1) The sound heard on the bridge in the original Star Trek
TV show when a photon torpedo is launched.
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ Pretty Pretty }

!N! # NOTE: The two following bits of info arrived within 1 day of each
other...

!N! (I) All the lyrics to this tune are taken from lines spoken by
Dennis Hopper's character in David Lynch's film 'Blue Velvet'.
[ Bill Bjelf (c/o davi...@delphi.com) ]

!N! (I) The line "A freindly wave each morning, starting the day,
Neighbour" is a straight steal from the theme music to the
Aussie soap 'Neighbours' - a sickly tale of everyday Oz folk
that is VERY popular in the UK. The lines following this, "Hey
pretty pretty, you're barely alive, look at me, the candy
coloured clown..." and "send you straight to hell, send you
love letters like a bullet..." etc. etc. are all more-or-less
taken from David Lynch's 'Blue Velvet', where Frank (Dennis
Hopper) is threatening Kyle McLachlan, who he refers to as
"Pretty Pretty" and "Neighbour". This is after Dean Stockwell
has mimed to a record referring to "...the Candy Coloured
Clown they call the Sandman..."
[ Dan Staines - d...@mole.bio.cam.ac.uk ]

{ I Was A Teenage Grandad }

!N! -> The cool nighclub jazz in the beginning

(#1) A speeded-up sample from 'One On The Rocks' by INXS.
[ Cindy Lee - cynd...@delphi.com ]

{ Harry Dean Stanton }

(No samples identified)

(I) Interesting side note! There WAS a sample in the original of this
of Harry Dean Stanton talking in the film 'Paris, Texas'
apparently, but it was removed before the album was cut but the
title stuck as no one could think of a better one.
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

{ Bulletproof }

-> The lunatic laughing sound at the beginning

(#1) Jack Nicholson, from the movie 'One Flew Over The
Cuckoo's Nest.'

----------------------
| Dos Dedos Mis Amigos |
|----------------------|

{ Ich Bin Ein Auslander }

-> Industrial 'VWOOWOOvwoowoo' kind of sound (Tricky to describe)

(#1) From the main theme from the movie 'Terminator 2'
[ DJ Duncy C - D.C...@herts.ac.uk ]

-> "You call us..." & "You call us (Nazis?)!" Anybody?

(Source unknown)

-> "White People's Committee is not embarrassed to admit that we
endorse and seek the execution of all homosexuals, the negroes,
... blacks, the hispanics, and Chinese..." (Fun-Da-Mental mixes)

!N! (#1) It's got to be William S. Burroughs (Hasn't it?) I
thought this one would have gone ages ago... I don't
know the recording it comes from, but the voice is
pretty distinctive...
[ Richard Smyth - ric...@ecr.mu.oz.au ]

!N! -> Heavy guitar riff

(#1) Sounds very like that used on the classic 'Kashmir' by
Led Zeppelin on 'Physical Graffiti'. I doubt it's a
direct sample - the PWEI version is faster and much
heavier than the original, but the similarity is
interesting, and I certainly wouldn't put it past the
lads... [ Dan Staines - d...@mole.bio.cam.ac.uk ]

!N! # NOTE: After listening to 'Now For A Feast', I'm convinced
that the Poppies do quite a bit of 'wet-sampling' (my
term: 'stealing') of riffs in addition to the
more-obvious digital sampling. _Dave_ #

{ Kick To Kill }

(No samples identified)

{ Familus Horribilus }

(No samples identified)

{ Underbelly }

-> ... Basically a "Laaaa..." sound which appears at the start of the
third bar in the four bar chord progression of the chorus (ie a
couple of times in the middle of the chorus in between lines...)

(#1) From the chorus of 'The Real Thing' by Russel Morris
(It's made me feel like going out and buying a copy of
the 7" of the original song that I saw one day... If
you haven't heard the original - it's an Australian
song from the 70's - it's a kind of pop psychedelic
song, lots of phasing/flanging in it.)
[ Richard Smyth - ric...@ecr.mu.oz.au ]

-> Warbling, slowed-down vocal sound at end of tune...

(#1) Pygmy vocal from 'Lullabye' by 'Deep Forest'
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> A major component of the rhythm, throughout the song
!N! (also, the word "round", just before "underbelly")

(#1) From the main rhythm of 'Round' by Public Image Limited.
[ Cyndy Lee - cynd...@delphi.com ]

{ Fatman }

-> High-pitched chanting

(#1) Sounds like it might be the chanting from '88 Seconds...'
from 'Cure For Sanity' edited & sped up.
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> "Bullshit!" (At very end)

(Source unknown)

!N! -> "See the weight come off"

(#1) from a British TV advert for SlimFast - the end of the
slogan "Try SlimFast for a week and see the weight come
off" [ Mark Lambert - mar...@microsoft.com ]

{ Home }

!N! -> Musical excerpt

(#1) from 'Golgotha Tenement Blues' by Machines Of Loving Grace
[ Cindy Lee - cynd...@delphi.com ]

{ Cape Connection }

!N! -> Gated snare sound heard on beats 2 & 4 once the song kicks in

(#1) Slightly higher pitch-shifted sample from Nine Inch Nails
'Closer' I believe...
[ Lorne F. Bregitzer - lorneb...@delphi.com ]

{ MeNoFearTheReaper }

-> The bass and part of the rythm

(#1) From a brief sample of 'Until The End Of The World' by U2.
This comes in about the 15-17 second mark of the track on
the U2 CD. [ Richard Smyth - ric...@ecr.mu.oz.au ]

-> After the grunt: "Let it fall down!" (first part of tune)

(Source unknown)

!N! -> Tribal-type chanting

(#1) from Pink Floyd's 'Atom Heart Mother Suite'
[ Mark Lambert - mar...@microsoft.com ]

{ Everything's Cool }

-> Guitar chuk-ka's and percusion at start of tune...

(#1) Also used in the Youth Remix of 'Kiss Them For Me' by
Siouxsie & The Banshees, but I have a sneaking suspicion
that they used a sample as well...
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> Fast guitar after the repeating 'duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-
duh' guitar throughout the song.

(#1) From Ministry's 'Thieves'.
[ Douglas Bonser - SPIK...@delphi.com ]

# Are we talking about the same sample here? _Dave_ #

(I) Easier to hear in the remixes. In fact, I think the only
guitar in the remixes is this sample.
[ Andrew Miller - and...@scorch.hna.com.au ]

-> "Ooh ooh" after "Everything's cool"

(#1) Annie Lennox, 'Little Bird'
[ Cyndy Lee - cynd...@delphi.com ]

!N! -> The last drum riff on the track (Particularly noticable on the
INFECT9CD single)

(#1) Nine Inch Nails' 'Happiness In Slavery' (best compared
against the NIN remix of 'Happiness In Slavery' on the
'Fixed' EP) [ Mark Lambert - mar...@microsoft.com ]

{ R.S.V.P. }

(I) Apparently, there's meant to be a BIG sample stolen from
"...a large '60s - '70s band" (Richard Poppie - in an article
in 'Future Music'). If I remember correctly, the band were
crapping themselves in case it got identified and they were
sued!! [ Tezzer - T.E....@durham.ac.uk ]

(I) I think it might be from J. Geils Band... That harmonica part is
awfully familiar...
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ Babylon }

(No samples identified)

--------------------------
| B-SIDES & OTHER ODDITIES |
|--------------------------|

{ Rock-a-hula-Elvis }

-> "Elvis"

(#1) Clint Poppie from 'Not Now James...'
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

-> "Elvis was a hero to most"

(#1) Public Enemy's Chuck D from 'Fight The Power'
[ Simon Salwan - ssa...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk ]

{ PWEI-zation }

-> "I bring you a warning. Tell the world. Keep watching the skies."

(#1) Not positive, but I think it's from the film 'Earth vs.
The Flying Saucers'. [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

(#2) Nope, I was _way_ wrong. It's from the 1950's Howard
Hawkes' version of 'The Thing (From Another World)'...
Just saw it again... great film!
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> Reversed vocals at beginning: "...Mars is more than 140 million
from the sun..."

(#1) Prologue from the film of H.G. Wells' 'War Of The Worlds'

-> Reversed vocals at the end: "...we know for a fact that your
planet has discovered a rudimentary kind of atomic energy... we
also know of your experiments..."

(#1) Michael Rennie as Klaatu, from the film 'The Day The
Earth Stood Still'. [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ The Incredible PWEI vs Dirty Harry }

-> "Go ahead, make my day..."
-> "This is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world"
-> "Do you feel lucky?"

(#1) Dirty Harry, obviously.
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> Mechanical laughter

(#1) The Joker's laughing bag from the finale of 'Batman'
[ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

-> "Inspector 71... can you read me? ...respond to your call..." etc.

(Source unknown) # also from Dirty Harry film? #

{ Good from Far, Far From Good }

(No samples identified)

{ Games Without Frontiers }

-> "Jeux sans frontiers"

(#1) From the original by Peter Gabriel, from his third
untitled solo album. [ Dave Read - davi...@delphi.com ]

{ Higher Intelligence Agency }

(No samples identified)

{ Intense }

-> "Is it doing to you what it's doing to me?"

(Source unknown)

{ C.P.I. #2 }

(No samples identified)

{ Wild West }

-> "Shotgun!"

(#1) I have this nagging feeling it's Billy Idol doing
'White Wedding' but another nagging feeling that says
its not. Don't you just hate it when that happens?
[ Alison Crompton - crom...@vxs.ug.eds.com ]

!N!{ Let It Flow }

(I) Sample from the Beastie Boys' 'Slow And Low' from their '86 album
'Licensed To Ill' [ Richard Smyth - ric...@ecr.mu.oz.au ]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

DISCLAIMER:
This list is not Authorized or otherwise endorsed by PWEI. It is the result of
mere conjecture on the part of their adoring fans.

"If you don't like the Poppies, it's your hard luck!"

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

* *** Pop _WILL_ Eat Internet! *** *
* Web Sites: * E-mail contacts: *
* Official PWEI Info * Club Tezzer - Tezzer Walsh *
* (History, Sound Bites, Vid Clips, * (PWEI FAQ, Hypertext Discography & *
* Merchandise, etc) http://www.elmail. * Insightful Commentary) *
* co.uk/music/pwei/pweipage.html * t.e....@durham.ac.uk *
* PWEI Nation - Jon Van Oast * PWEI Barmy Army - Alison Crompton *
* (Fan-driven info: FAQ, Discography, * (PWEI Hypertext Lyrics Archive & *
* Lyrics Archive, Sample List, Pic * unbridled enthusiasm) *
* Files, Tour Dates, General Info & * crom...@ug.eds.com *
* links to other PWEI Sites) ****************************************
* http://kzsu.stanford.edu * Jon Van Oast *
* (access via 'The Web's Edge') * (PWEI Nation's Rumour Mill) *
**************************************** j...@kzsu.stanford.edu *
* Richard Smyth's Home Page ****************************************
* (Pic Files and links to PWEI Sites * Dave Read *
* and other exotic locations) * (PWEI Sample Source List) *
* http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~richjs * davi...@delphi.com *
* *** usenet newsgroups *** *
* *** alt.music.alternative *** rec.music.industrial *** *
* *** alt.fan.pop.will.eat.itself (rumor?) *** *
* *** alt.music.pwei (in the works) *** *
* -> ACCESS ALL INFO! <- *
* _P_W_E_I_N_I_N_E_F_O_U_R_!_ *

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

##########################
# #
# Pop WILL Eat itself #
# Unspoilt by Progress #
# #

Contact Club Tezzer at: Raise your hands
If you think you understand
t.e....@durham.ac.uk Raise your standards
If you don't

メッセージは削除されました