Master Ashraf Khan : actor, singer and Sufi saint

naniwadekar

Mar 17, 2006, 2:19:37 PM3/17/06

Master Ashraf Khan's is a recurring name in films around
1930s as actor and singer.

I came across a reference to him recently while browsing
the pages of SAWF library in the profile of Dinkar-rao
Amembal (D Amel), the famous composer and flautist.

"Dinaker Rao's involvement in matters spiritual dated
back to 1936 when Zulfikar Bukhari joined AIR Bombay as
its station director. It was he who introduced Rao to
Master Ashraf Khan, who had made his mark as one of the
most renowned actors of the Urdu and Gujarati stage and
in the film world as well. He was also a leading Sufi
saint, and this spiritual aspect of Ashraf Khan's
personality made a lasting impact on young, impress-
-ionable Dinaker Rao. He adored Ashraf Khan as his
spiritual guru till the end."

Is any further biographical information available about
Ashraf Khan? Perhaps Shri Afzal Khan knows something from
his Mumbai days when he (Afzal) was a dashing youngster
about town? The website imdb.com does carry an entry for
him (Ashraf Khan).

Some of Ashraf Khan's 1930s songs are reasonably good but
nothing out of the ordinary. But when he starred and sang
for Anil Biswas in ROTI, he had his Jassu Patel moment,
at least as far as archived music is concerned, for which
he will forever be remembered as a singer blessed with
stupendous ability.

Though I have called Dinkar-rao Amembal 'famous' in this
post and also asserted that Asharf Khan will be forever
remembered, the truth is that both of them are big
unknowns today, not surprising in a nation whose brain is
so starved of clean air that disgusting junk like SRGMP
can enjoy huge following among its youngsters, and also
among dashing oldsters. (But that last sentence was just
between you and me. Please don't tell Afzal Sahab about
it. Even if you told him, I will simply deny ever having
said anything about saregamapa.)

Even in pre-internet, pre-Surjit-mp3-pages days of 1930s,
it was a small world back then. It is nice to know about
Amembal's spiritual side and that his path crossed Ashraf
Khan's, whose saintly nature made a deep mark on him.
Ashraf Khan is a part of a trivia item, too. Though
Mushtaq Hussain of Bareilli was quite prolific as film
composer in 1930s, songs composed by him are very hard to
find. (Indeed, many of them were never released on 78
discs.) But I could find three such songs from Baghban
(1938), and two of them are in Ashraf Khan's voice.

When everything is said and done, Ashraf Khan, to me,
means his two songs in 'Roti'. He would be an immortal
even if he did nothing in his life other than sing those
two sizzling songs.

- dn

Kamalakar Pasupuleti

Mar 17, 2006, 4:31:48 PM3/17/06
"naniwadekar" <nani3...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Master Ashraf Khan's is a recurring name in films around
> 1930s as actor and singer.

< sorry for deleting - my server doesn't accept >

> Even in pre-internet, pre-Surjit-mp3-pages days of 1930s,
> it was a small world back then. It is nice to know about
> Amembal's spiritual side and that his path crossed Ashraf
> Khan's, whose saintly nature made a deep mark on him.
> Ashraf Khan is a part of a trivia item, too. Though
> Mushtaq Hussain of Bareilli was quite prolific as film
> composer in 1930s, songs composed by him are very hard to
> find. (Indeed, many of them were never released on 78
> discs.) But I could find three such songs from Baghban
> (1938), and two of them are in Ashraf Khan's voice.

> When everything is said and done, Ashraf Khan, to me,
> means his two songs in 'Roti'. He would be an immortal
> even if he did nothing in his life other than sing those
> two sizzling songs.

Nice to have remembered Ashraf Khan , Mushtaq Hussain and
Dinakar Rao . Today we find some of the movies of 1930's being
restored and are available on VCD's . Let's hope we find some of
their master pieces surface back for the sake of nostalgia .

- kp
> - dn

Surjit Singh

Mar 18, 2006, 1:27:57 PM3/18/06

Kamalakar Pasupuleti wrote:

> "naniwadekar" <nani3...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>Master Ashraf Khan's is a recurring name in films around
>>1930s as actor and singer.
>

> < sorry for deleting - my server doesn't accept >
>

>>Even in pre-internet, pre-Surjit-mp3-pages days of 1930s,
>>it was a small world back then. It is nice to know about
>>Amembal's spiritual side and that his path crossed Ashraf
>>Khan's, whose saintly nature made a deep mark on him.
>>Ashraf Khan is a part of a trivia item, too. Though
>>Mushtaq Hussain of Bareilli was quite prolific as film
>>composer in 1930s, songs composed by him are very hard to
>>find. (Indeed, many of them were never released on 78
>>discs.) But I could find three such songs from Baghban
>>(1938), and two of them are in Ashraf Khan's voice.

Here is a tentative, completely unverified, use at your own risk, list
of his Hindi film songs, mainly based on the bible. Can be used as a
starting point, just like the Geeta Dutt list I published many poonam's
ago :)

Baagbaan 1938 Basaa Le Apane Man Men Men Preet Man Man Asharaf Khan
Baagbaan 1938 Prem Jhoothaa Prem Jag Jhoothaa Jag Jhoo Asharaf Khan
Baagbaan 1938 Ro Ro Nain Ganvaaoon Sajanawaa Aan Milo Asharaf Khan
Baaghi 1939 Holee Khelat Tumase Main Haaree Maaro Na Amir Jan, Asharaf Khan
Baaghi 1939 Mrig Jal Ko Saagar Jaan Gote Maarataa Sa Asharaf Khan
Baaghi 1939 O Charkhe-zafaa Paravar Jee Bhar Ke Sata Asharaf Khan
Aazaadi-E-Vatan 1940 Kuchh Socho To Duniyaawaalo Larane Bhira Asharaf Khan
Aazaadi-E-Vatan 1940 Yah Duniyaa Hai Ek Khawaab Qudarat Yah K Asharaf Khan
Roti 1942 Ab Peenaa Hai Haan Peenaa Hai Asharaf Khan, Anil Biswas
Roti 1942 Gareebon Par Dayaa Karake Baraa Ahasaan Asharaf Khan
Roti 1942 Raham Naa Khaana-2 Hai Makkaar Jamaanaa Asharaf Khan
Roti 1942 Roti-3 Kyoon Ratataa Rotee Rotee Asharaf Khan
Pagli Duniya 1944 Kyon Lalachaataa Us Duniyaa Par Asharaf Khan
Naiya 1947 .. Raam Naam Kyaa Japanaa Asharaf Khan
Naiya 1947 Siyaaraam-2 Tan Kaa Pinjaraa Soonaa Asharaf Khan

I do have more info available on him mainly from the book

Music of Theatre and Hindi Cinema 1900-1950 (published in 2001)
by
Narendra Shrimali 'Kamal'

http://www.archiveofmusic.com/

Unfortunately, I am very busy planning my visit to Delhi, Bombay,
Bangalore, Jaipur, Chandigarh, Amritsar etc. (during April 2006).

BTW, it is my observation that any researcher of Hindi films/music, if
S/he has even a little bit of authentic info, writes a book or is
otherwise eager to tell the world :) It is a rare personality who has
the info and does not want to tell anyone :) No hard or soft feelings,
please :)

--
Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.
http://hindi-movies-songs.com/index.html

kiran....@rediffmail.com

Mar 20, 2006, 6:36:48 PM3/20/06

Excellent work Prof Saab .

1. I downloaded a song from indianscreen.com from film Abhagin - 1938
' koun hai kiska meet moorakh ' in the voice of Akbar Khan Peshawari
music by RC Boral . His voice resembles Ashraf Khan . Any info on him ?
I heard Ashraf Khan's songs in Roti long long ago .

2. While browsing thru the link archiveofmusic.com I find a record
' duniya rang rangeli ' by Manohar Kapoor . Is this song any similarity
with the song from Dhartimata famous trio PM - UMa - KLS song ?

Regards ,

surjit singh

Mar 20, 2006, 8:04:34 PM3/20/06

Not much more than what is already on RMIM and web.

> 2. While browsing thru the link archiveofmusic.com I find a record
> ' duniya rang rangeli ' by Manohar Kapoor . Is this song any similarity
> with the song from Dhartimata famous trio PM - UMa - KLS song ?

Seems like a version song.

=BCSP=

Mar 20, 2006, 10:53:00 PM3/20/06
WEhat else can your book give...just nothing...only keep staring at it
.

Wohi cheez mai aap ko aur sainkdon shruwattaa janon ko mai SUNWAATA
hoon:: Lo jee ! yehi hai woh geet/gaana jo aap tarastey thhey sunney ke
liye !

This is the basic difference !

KEEMAT to chukaani padeygee hee aapko....!

=Jay=
21/3

minhaz...@gmail.com

Jun 29, 2014, 6:44:06 AM6/29/14
My dear

You know much about & thats my hall life on it pleas if you have photos of mashtar shab please send me

Yours
Minhaz m. Khatri