Dharmendra-Hema pair and their songs

Asif

Oct 21, 2009, 7:46:53 PM10/21/09
Folks:

I am wondering if Dharmendra and Hema Malini hold the record of
pairing together in most films (Hindi or otherwise)? The only other
very successful pair I can think of is Uttam Kumar and Suchitra Sen,
but I do not know how many films they did together. I can remember 35
films of Dharam-Hema:

1. Tum Haseen Main Jawaan (1970)
2. Sharafat (1970)
3. Naya Zamana (1971)
4. Raja Jani (1972)
5. Seeta Aur Geeta (1972)
6. Jugnu (1973)
7. Patthar Aur Payal (1974)
8. Dost (1974)
9. Sholay (1975)
10. Pratiggya (1975)
11. Kahtey Hain Mujhko Raja (1975)
12. Chhoti Si Baat (1975)
13. Charas (1976)
14. Maa (1976)
15. Kinara (1977)
16. Dream Girl (1977)
17. Azaad (1977)
18. Chacha Bhatija (1977)
19. Khel Khiladi Ka (1977)
20. Dillagi (1978)
21. Ghadi Ke Do Haath (1978) - Was that ever released or released as
some other title?
22. Phandebaaz (1978)
23. Dil Ka Heera (1979)
24. The Burning Train (1979)
25. Aas Paas (1980)
26. Alibaba Aur 40 Chor (1980)
27. Krodhi (1981)
28. Razia Sultan (1981)
29. Do Dishaayen (1982)
30. Baghawat (1982)
31. Samraat (1982)
32. Rajput (1982)
33. Raj Tilak (1982)
34. Jaan Hatheli Pe (1987)
35. Aatank (1996)

Did they pair in any other films? I believe they paired in one or two
films made by Mehmood, but cannot recall the film. Kunwara Baap?
Will someone please correct or add to this list?

Anyway, the list of their pairings apart, I am really surprised that
such a hot and successful pair like Dharam-Hema have only a handful of
memorable romantic duets filmed on them; most of their duets are
utterly forgettable. Only these duets have endured to this day, or at
least they were popular in their time:

1. gir gayaa jhumakaa (Jugnu, 1973) - the finest on this pair in
terms of composition, chemistry, and filming.
2. kal kii hasiin mulaaqaat ke liye (Charas, 1976) - next best
3. aapako pahale bhii kahii.n dekhaa hai (Tum Haseen Main Jawan,
1970)
4. holii ke din dil khil jaate hai.n (Sholay, 1975)
5. jaan kii qasam sach kahate hai.n ham (Azaad, 1978)
6. jaaduugar jaaduu kar jaayegaa (Alibaba Aur 40 Chor, 1980)
7. tum jo chale gaye to (Aas Paas, 1980)
8. aajaa terii yaad aayii (Charas, 1976)

Just 8 good songs and, out of them, only 2 truly great songs on such a
legendary pair! It might mean they did not necessarily need catchy,
sexy duets on them to pull crowds to their films, or music directors
probably missed their chances to score memorable duets on them.

Thanks,
Asif

surjit singh

Oct 21, 2009, 8:02:05 PM10/21/09
On Oct 21, 4:46 pm, Asif <alvi.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks:
>
> I am wondering if Dharmendra and Hema Malini hold the record of
> pairing together in most films (Hindi or otherwise)?  The only other

You have obviously never heard of Prem Nazir and Sheela, the world
record holders:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prem_Nazir

> very successful pair I can think of is Uttam Kumar and Suchitra Sen,
> but I do not know how many films they did together.  I can remember 35
> films of Dharam-Hema:

> Asif

Asif

Oct 21, 2009, 8:43:18 PM10/21/09
On Oct 21, 8:02 pm, surjit singh <surjitsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 4:46 pm, Asif <alvi.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Folks:
>
> > I am wondering if Dharmendra and Hema Malini hold the record of
> > pairing together in most films (Hindi or otherwise)?  The only other
>
> You have obviously never heard of Prem Nazir and Sheela, the world
> record holders:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prem_Nazir

107 films together! I am speechless.

Narsingh

Oct 21, 2009, 10:49:42 PM10/21/09
I am not surprised that Asif had never heard of Prem Nazir (and
Sheela). The non-Malyalam speaking Indians (like myself and probably
Asif) would not know them. Sticking to Hindi/Urdu/Hindustani movies,
is Asif's claim about Dharmendar and Hema Malini accurate?
Incidentally, I am not surprised at their so few great duets. The
Hindi film music sort of died before this pair became famous.
Narsingh

surjit singh

Oct 22, 2009, 1:04:20 AM10/22/09

For Hindi movies, I cannot think of nay other pair. This is probably a
record.

vrk

Oct 22, 2009, 5:55:33 AM10/22/09

jeetendra and rekha did 31 together. though there could be a few guest
roles. or films in which rekha did not play the romantic lead opp
jeetu.

Sukesh

Oct 22, 2009, 2:58:07 PM10/22/09

I believe Gemini Ganesan and Savitri have been paired together in a
very large number of films.
May be some one familiar with South Indian Films would be able to give
a count.

Regards
Sukesh

Sukesh

Oct 22, 2009, 3:04:04 PM10/22/09

Uttam Kumar & Suchitra Sen - 31 films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suchitra_Sen

Regards
Sukesh

Asif

Oct 22, 2009, 8:12:12 PM10/22/09
Well, I have heard of Prem Nazir and knew he was a Malyalam actor, but
that's about it. If someone asked me to name even one film of him, I
would have drawn a blank. So it was amazing to read about him on that
wikipedia link.

Talking of memorable, hit, or otherwise decent-quality duets on famous
pairs, I believe that popular pairs from even the '40s, '50s, and '60s
do not have much to brag about. I am hurrying through this post
without checking the Geet Kosh, but I guess that popular stars from
those days mostly went solo when it came to singing songs that
eventually became hit and/or memorable, or turned out to be at least
decent. Be it K.L. Sehgal, Raj Kapoor, Dilip Kumar, Dev Anand,
Noorjahan, Madhubala, Meena Kumari, Kamini Kaushal, Suraiya, Nargis,
or Vyju, no pair among them have many such duets on it. If anything,
a large number of such duets went on lesser pairs in films, like
Malhar, Zabak, Janam Janam Ke Phere, Waris, Anmol Ghadi, Patanga,
Albela, Dillagi, Bawre Nain, Patita, Aar Paar, Azad, Mirza Ghalib,
C.I.D., Baap Re Baap, and Nau Do Gyarah.

Dilip Kumar was a tragedy king, so he mostly favored singing sad
solos. Dev Anand thought (and rightly so) that he looked great going
solo too. I truly wish he sang such fabulous duets, like 'ye na_ii
na_ii priit hai' (Pocketmaar, 1956) and 'dekh hame.n aawaaz na
dena' (Amardeep, 1958), more often. Only Raj Kapoor was a true
romantic, and so only Raj-Nargis pair have got a decent number of such
duets on them in many films, e.g. Awaara, Aah, Chori Chori, and,
above, all Shri 420 with that fabulous, timeless duet 'pyaar huaa
iqaraar huaa'.

I believe that the trend of more and more romantic duets in a single
film began around 1957 with films like Chori Chori, Naya Daur, Nau Do
Gyarah, Paying Guest, and Tumsa Nahin Dekha. The '60s are full of
memorable, hit, and/or decent duets, but then pairs, like Dharam-Hema,
did not exist then. Roshan seems to be the only guy in the '60s who
focused mainly on such serene duets - Pradeep Kumar was very lucky
indeed to get them. I rate 'jo waadaa kiyaa wo' (Taj Mahal, 1963) and
'ham i.ntazaar kare.nge' (Bahu Begum, 1967) among the finest romantic
duets in Hindi film music, but Pradeep-Bina or Pradeep-Meena were
hardly a hot pair. It seems to me that no music director, or for that
matter no filmmaker, in the '40s through '70s ever seriously thought
about milking the popularity of a pair in terms of creating greater
number of romantic duets on them.

Asif

Prithviraj Dasgupta

Oct 22, 2009, 10:13:58 PM10/22/09
On Oct 22, 2:04 pm, Sukesh <sukesh_hoo...@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Uttam Kumar & Suchitra Sen - 31 films.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suchitra_Sen
>
> Regards
> Sukesh

Reduce that by one. Saathihara in the list at the above site starred
Mala Sinha not SS.

I can think of only two Uttam-Suchitra duets off the top of my head,
although they had several very popular solos picturized on them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwMZK5P6eFo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTMj2gCn6eE

-Prithviraj

Srinivas Ganti

Oct 22, 2009, 11:05:03 PM10/22/09

> I believe Gemini Ganesan and Savitri have been paired together in a
> very large number of films.
> May be some one familiar with South Indian Films would be able to give
> a count.

Yes. I am more familiar with Telugu films though and ANR, Savitri have
paired in more than 30 movies.
And there are several popular duets picturised on them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wraq57n1BIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew2ifdMyZms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vOEiwHxdzA

There are a couple more movies in which they acted but Savitri was
paired with NTR.

shanti

pratigna

Paropakaram

devadas

Bratuku Theruvu

Vadina

Ardhangi

Santanam

Donga Ramudu

Charana Daasi

Bhale Ramudu

Todi Kodallu

Maya Bazaar

Mangalya Balam

Nammina Bantu

Shantinivasam

Maa Babu

Abhimanam

Siri Sampadalu

Manchi Manasulu

Kalimilemulu

Aradhana

Mooga Manasulu

Chaduvukunna Ammayilu

Velugu Needalu

Poojaphalam

Dr. Chakravarthy

Sumangali

Manashulu Mamatalu

Zamindar

Navarathri

Manase Mandiram

Prana Mithrulu

Maro Prapancham

Suputhrudu

raaz

Oct 24, 2009, 8:14:59 AM10/24/09
On Oct 22, 5:12 pm, Asif <alvi.a...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dev Anand thought (and rightly so) that he looked great going
> solo too.  I truly wish he sang such fabulous duets, like 'ye na_ii
> na_ii priit hai' (Pocketmaar, 1956) and 'dekh hame.n aawaaz na
> dena' (Amardeep, 1958), more often.

There are Dev Anand duets in the following movies also,
considering upto 1960.

Jaal (1952)
Patita (1953 )
Insaniyat (1955)
House No.44 (1955)
C.I.D.(1956)
Fantoosh (1956)
Baarish (1957)
Nau Do Gyarah (1957)
Paying Guest (1957)
Kala Pani (1958)
Love Marriage (1959)
Bombai Ka Babu (1960)
Manzil (1960)
Jaali Note (1960)
Kala Bazar (1960)

Asif

Oct 25, 2009, 9:17:48 PM10/25/09

My mistake. I got my numbers wrong, but then whenever I think of Dev
Anand and his songs, his solos invariably comes foremost to mind. All
these duets in films you listed above seem only few and far between,
and not all of them were as big a hit as those solos on Dev.

Jaal had 'ye raat ye chaa.ndanii', House No 44 had 'terii duniyaa me.n
jiine se', C.I.D. was a notable exception though Johnny Walker walked
away with the biggest hit song of that year, Funtoosh had 'dukhii man
mere' and 'ai merii Topii', Nau Do Gyarah was an exception though 'ham
hai.n raahii pyaar ke' was no less, Kala Pani had 'ham beKudii me.n
tumako', Love Marriage had 'Tiin kanastar piiT-piiTakar', Bombai Ka
Babu had 'saathii na koii ma.nzil' and 'chal rii sajanii', and Kala
Bazaar had 'khoyaa khoyaa chaa.Nd'. So you see that even though these
films had nice duets filmed on Dev, the solos on him became more
memorable and/or bigger hits. I believe, and that also was the main
focus of my discussion, that some actors and actresses in the '40s and
'50s and maybe in '60s too carefully and consciously favored solos on
them no matter how hot they might have looked in pair with their
opposite numbers. So I guess that music directors were not entirely
to blame for composing too few hot duets on those pairs.

Asif

Pavan Jha

Oct 26, 2009, 3:41:55 AM10/26/09
On Oct 22, 4:46 am, Asif <alvi.a...@gmail.com> wrote: