Bharati Devi of NT

anil

Dec 28, 2004, 1:45:33 PM12/28/04
Pakistan seems to have preserved almost all the movies of NT on VHS .
Some pakistani old timers have them in US fairly in good condition .
I had the opportunity of witnessing Doctor and Saugandh recently which
has Bharati Devi as heroine .

She has a charming personality and a very good voice . I have every
reason to believe the songs in both the movies were rendered by her .

I am looking for any other RMIM'er who had seen them
and comment if I am wrong .

anil

naniwadekar

Dec 28, 2004, 3:22:45 PM12/28/04

"anil" <anil11...@yahoo.com> wrote -

> I had the opportunity of witnessing Doctor and Saugandh recently which
> has Bharati Devi as heroine .
> She has a charming personality and a very good voice . I have every
> reason to believe the songs in both the movies were rendered by her .

I haven't seen either film but songs in Doctor are not in
her voice. I spoke with her last week and she said she
has sung only in one Hindi film : Saugandh, and one
Bengali film : Pratisruti; Saugadh and Pratisruti are each
other's version.

Her screen name in Saugandh was Shanti. (And Asit Baran's
was Arun.) I don't know which song(s) in Saugandh are
in her voice but I would guess that she used playback for
some of her songs in the film. I asked her whether she had
sung the song 'raajaa beTii'. She could not remember.
I hope Dr Guha will play the song to her one day, if he hasn't
done so already, and jog her memory further. But I don't
think the song is in her voice. If she could sing that well,
I am sure Boral would have made her sing some more
in Wapas and Wasiyatnama, films of which she was
a part as an actress.

She brought up a name unknown to me and called her
a major singer in Kolkata in those days : Shaila Devi.
Dr Guha says R C Boral had referred to Shaila Devi
as one of his main singers in an interview with Calcutta
Doordarshan station. Whether she ever sang for films
and how prolific she was with non-film 78 releases are
matters in need of further probing.

Songs like 'raajaa beTii' and 'bhool na jaanaa' are among
all-time greats in the annals of film music and I find it
extremely frustrating that we don't know for certain who
sang these gems for a production house as famous as
New Theatres.

- dn

anil

Dec 28, 2004, 4:40:27 PM12/28/04
I think she rendered songs in Wapas too except ' manva kaahe phir
tadpaye '
Don't know the singer but excellent composition and great voice .

anil

jyotiprakasguha

Dec 29, 2004, 1:18:22 PM12/29/04
Dear Anilji,
As mentioned by Mr Naniwadekar, Bharati Devi sang only for Saugand (and
Bengali Pratisruti). She was trained for the Doctor songs but they were
ultimately sung by Ila Mitra (nee Ghosh)and she is still somewhat angry
with Pankaj Mallick for "letting her down".
by the way, I have seen both Doctor and Wapas and liked them both.
Jyoti Prakash Guha.

anil

Dec 29, 2004, 5:40:07 PM12/29/04
Dr Guha , Thanks for your info and correcting me . Just for my info who
rendered the song
' manva kaahe phir tadpaye ' this composition of RCB coupled with the
voice make me go MAD .Another master piece of RCB .

BTW on a different note who rendered this song ' ay dil khushi se
hoja bhagwan ke hawale '
Could this be Bharati Devi ?

In the song from Doctor ' ye titli , ye neeli peeli titli ' does she
cough at the end of the song
something similar to KLS in Dushman ?
I am sure you have the answers for them .

anil

jyotiprakasguha

Dec 30, 2004, 2:01:04 AM12/30/04
Oh I am so sorry to disappoint you. I have no answer to your qurries...
Jyoti Prakash Guha.

urzung khan

Jan 3, 2005, 7:18:32 PM1/3/05

anil wrote:

> Dr Guha , Thanks for your info and correcting me . Just for my info who
> rendered the song
> ' manva kaahe phir tadpaye ' this composition of RCB coupled with the
> voice make me go MAD .Another master piece of RCB .
>
> BTW on a different note who rendered this song ' ay dil khushi se
> hoja bhagwan ke hawale '
> Could this be Bharati Devi ?

FWIW, In the pre partition days I had the 78 disk of ai dil and
albela mastana. The singer for both songs was given as Bharti
Devi. The female singer in Saugandh's Raja Beta and Wapas's Bhool
Na Jana/Jeevan Hai Bekaar, sounds different.
I never found the recording of 'manva kaahe'. Heard it once only
in the movie in 1945.

urzung khan

anil

Jan 4, 2005, 9:12:59 AM1/4/05

urzung khan wrote:
> anil wrote:

> FWIW, In the pre partition days I had the 78 disk of ai dil and
> albela mastana. The singer for both songs was given as Bharti
> Devi. The female singer in Saugandh's Raja Beta and Wapas's Bhool
> Na Jana/Jeevan Hai Bekaar, sounds different.
> I never found the recording of 'manva kaahe'. Heard it once only
> in the movie in 1945.
>
> urzung khan

Unfortunately some of the best gems are lost in time ,
' jholi bhar taare ladure ' by Khursheed from Surdas is an example .
anil

urzung khan

Jan 5, 2005, 8:18:06 PM1/5/05

'jholii bhar taare laa do re' was included in a Khursheed compilation
issued in 70s here.

urzung khan