Accompanying artists

begada sahana

Jun 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/17/00
A concert becomes a success not only beacause of
the main performer but also by the quality of the
accompanying artists. Some accompanying artists
seem to be naturally suited for some main performers.
I will list some of the concert performing teams
I have enjoyed the most either directly or by tapes.

Since most of the names I have mentioned are stalwarts,
they could easily play for some of other performers and
make the concert a success. Based on my limited listening
experience, I feel that these teams seem "better" to me.

Ariyakudi/TN Krishnan/Palghat Mani Iyer
GNB/Lalgudi Jayaraman/Pazhani Subramania Pillai
Madurai Mani Iyer/Mayuram Govindaraja Pillai/CS Murugaboopathy
Semmangudi/ TN Krishnan/ Trichy Sankaran
MS Subbulakshmi/Tiruvalangadu Sundaresa Iyer/TK Murthy
Alathur Brothers/Papa Venkataramiah/Palghat Mani Iyer/Dakshinamurthy
Pillai
Flute Mali/TN Krishnan/Mani Iyer
MD Ramanathan/TN Krishnan/Umayalpuram Sivaraman
Madurai Somasundaram/Lalgudi Jayaraman/CS Murugaboopathy
Voleti Venkateswaru/MS Gopalakrishnan/Karaikudi Mani
DK Jayaraman/T Rukmani/Umayalpuram Sivaraman
S Kalyanraman/MS Gopalakrishan/Umayalpuram Sivaraman

Ashwin K. Iyer

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
Madurai Mani Iyer/M. S. Gopalakrishnan/Palghat Mani Iyer

Let me once again plug my web site, with a clip of the above:)

http://www.ecf.toronto.edu/~iyer

sanj...@my-deja.com

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
I like the BMK-MSG-TVG combos of the 60's/70's (no flames please from
the anti-BMK faction on RMIC).

--
Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

shank...@my-deja.com

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In article <8ilena$m6b$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

I whole-heartedly agree to the above. Also I heard a concert of BMK
with Lalgudi ( a rarity - MSG usually accompanied him) and TVG. It was
Sundarini in Kalyani (one of the Kovur Pancharatnams) where BMK does
Sruthi-bedam(Tonic shifting of notes ) in Thodi during Kalpanaswaram
and Lalgudi replies back with a Sruthi-bedam in Hindolam...
Electrifying. Don't ask for a copy , even I can't get it.

Also another combination is T.N Seshagopalan , with C.S
Murugabhoopathy. The violinist does not matter. Both of them just take
off teasing each other on the Layam..., leaving the violinist behind ,
unless it is somebody of calibre..

dines...@my-deja.com

Jun 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/19/00
In article <8ih9ur$s89$1...@earth.superlink.net>,

begada sahana <beg...@superlink.net> wrote:
> A concert becomes a success not only beacause of
> the main performer but also by the quality of the
> accompanying artists. Some accompanying artists
> seem to be naturally suited for some main performers.
> I will list some of the concert performing teams
> I have enjoyed the most either directly or by tapes.
>
> Since most of the names I have mentioned are stalwarts,
> they could easily play for some of other performers and
> make the concert a success. Based on my limited listening
> experience, I feel that these teams seem "better" to me.
>

> Flute Mali/TN Krishnan/Mani Iyer

Flute Mali preferred T.Rukumini for violin accompaniment.

Also,

*/Mysore T Chowdiah/*

* = any vocalist/mridangam artiste/ghatam player etc.

- Dinesh.

> MD Ramanathan/TN Krishnan/Umayalpuram Sivaraman
> Madurai Somasundaram/Lalgudi Jayaraman/CS Murugaboopathy
> Voleti Venkateswaru/MS Gopalakrishnan/Karaikudi Mani
> DK Jayaraman/T Rukmani/Umayalpuram Sivaraman
> S Kalyanraman/MS Gopalakrishan/Umayalpuram Sivaraman

S Suresh

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
sanj...@my-deja.com writes:

>I like the BMK-MSG-TVG combos of the 60's/70's (no flames please from
>the anti-BMK faction on RMIC).

This combination is very good.

My personal favourite wrt to combinations is Semmangudi with T N Krishnan.
Two small pieces show the sort of synergy they had :
1. The last kalpana swara and reply for the song Karunasamudra - Devagandhari
2. The last kalpana swara and reply for the song Amba Neelayadakshi -
Neelambari

T N Krishnan's alapanai replies also used to be very good. Infact, in one
concert TNK played a raga alapana superbly that it earned a sustained applause.
Semmangudi is supposed to have commented, "Kindly reserve some applause for
the singer too".

Regards,

S.Suresh

>--
>Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Ram Venkataraman

Jun 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/20/00
Thanks to Chandramouli (begada sahana) we are all nostalgic about
the fine concerts we have had the fortune to hear (in person and in
tape)
from the stalwarts and the youngsters.

One combination I particularly enjoyed is MANI/TNK/MANI. And
one national program still fresh in memory even after 50 years is by
Mysore Doraiswamy Iyengar accompanied by Chowdiah and Palghat
Mani Iyer. I could still hear the words for the Mohanam kriti 'Raa raa
raajeeva lochana' flowing out of both veena and violin.

Just bring the discussion to 'today' one accompanist who really adds to
the value of the concert, in North America, is Trichy Sankaran. I have
heard him accompanying BMK, Ramani, KVN, TNS,
Trichur Ramachandran, Ravikiran, and many others and invariably he
did make a difference. And on violin one very promising young artist
is Srikant Venkataraman of Chicago, who realy did a couple of great
accompaniments to OST. Ananthakrishnan of New Jersey also hit
the spot in a grand concert of Ravikiran with Trichy Sankaran in 1997.
There are some good accompanists - violinists and mridangists - in
USA and Canada who are doing a good job and hopefully in the near
future they can do ' make a difference' to a concert.

Please keep the thread going and if we can 'find' some new talent or
combination to be 'used' in North American concerts, it will be good.

Venkataraman
Toronto

In the north american tours one very good combination was Hyderabad
Brothers, Delhi Sundararajan and Srimushnam Rajarao, though we could
list quite a few good combinations. KSGopalakrishnan,M.Chandrasekaran
and Dorai was a good team brought by CMANA a few years back. .

kartik...@my-deja.com

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00

Begada Sahana

Just curious :-

Does the singer say he wants X and Y as accompanying artists or are
these decided by the organiser.

Bye

shank...@my-deja.com

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
I would like to add to the remakrs made by Ram Venkataraman. I recently
heard a 1995 chicago concert recording of TNS accompanied by Trichy
Sankaran and Srikanth Venkataram . The main piece was Subramanyaya
Namste in Rupukam with 2 sub-beats, and my friend who is old enough to
have heard Palani Subramanya Pillai accompanying GNB for the same
song, tells me that , he could discern the influence of the Guru on
Sankaran.....

Ram Venkataraman

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
I am taking the liberty of answering for Begada Sahana as well.

The answer is that it happens both ways. While the final combination
is arrived at with everyone agreeing to it before they leave India,
it may be arrived at in different ways depending on the main artist.
And the smae main artist may also act in different ways at different
times. Usually, the veterans, like Ramani, KVN and others do not
start with a fixed 'set' and will go along with any 'good' combination
proposed by the organizers, though obviously each has their
preferences if it can be done.

Of course, if a particular combination catches on, it is usually kept
on for a few years - TVS,Chandrasekar,TKMurthy for example -
even after returning to India.

What combination you - the fan in North America - get to hear on
stage is a result of combining the opinions and wishes of everyone
- artists and organisers - involved.

Venkataraman

kartik...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Begada Sahana
>
> Just curious :-
>
> Does the singer say he wants X and Y as accompanying artists or are
> these decided by the organiser.
>
> Bye

begada sahana

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
Most performers have their preferred (first choice)
violinist and mridangam. Usually musicians will indicate
their preferences to the organizers.

Personally, I used to enjoy attending concerts of stalwart
teams. Musicians also get excited when they have great
accompaniment and try to give their best performances.

I have heard stories that Alathur Brothers will conspire
a difficult pallavi, if they have solid accompaniment for
their next concert.

Some musicians did not prefer Palghat Mani Iyer as mridangam,
since he got most of the applause ! The accompaniment
should agree with manodharma of the main performer.
for eg. Voleti who is known to launch in to hindustani
shades during raga alapana of Kalyani or mohanam etc. MSG used
match Voleti with his own hindustani raga shades.

CS Murugaboopathy's sruti and nadham seemed to match
Madurai Mani Iyer. ( BTW, CSM was a great mridangist who
unfortunately got distracted and he never really got as much
appreciation as Palghat Mani Iyer or Pazhani Subramania Pillai).

locavana catura !!

shank...@my-deja.com

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00

Sandhya Srinath provided a very good accompaniment to Madurai R Sundar
at the Cleveland Aradhana this year.
Her alapana of Simhendra Madyamam for the Pallavi was of a very high
quality.

Master A. Anand provided a very able Mridangam support to Ravi Kiran's
vocal concert in Dayton. He was able to handle the 15 Akshara
multi-Kalai ( First two aksharams 4-kalai , next 2 2-Kalai , next 2 1-
kalai and the last 2 , 1/2 Kalai )
Adhi talam RTP ( It starts as "Manitha Guna" in Thodi ) with confidence.

Ravi Kiran attributed the source of this RTP to Late T.R. Mahalingam.

Considering his lineage and training, that is not surprising.

shank...@my-deja.com

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
Another great combination is that of

Ramnad Krishnan/C.S. Murugaboopathy with usually Thiruparkadal
Veeraraghavan

I guess C.S.M and Ramnad Krishnan hailed from the same school of
Harikesanallur / Sankara Sivam tradition , and hence were a great
combination...

Surthi match between CSM and Ramnad Krishnan can be found very well
here too...

Again I think Ramnad Krishnan also was not a well appreciated artist
like CSM .

venka...@gmail.com

Jun 14, 2016, 11:41:09 AM6/14/16
is there any recording where t n KRISHNAN is accompanying Madurai Somasundaram

skal...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2020, 10:43:33 AM8/2/20