Mohammad Hussein Khansahib - Bhendi Bazar

Bhairav

Jun 13, 2002, 9:07:23 PM6/13/02
Hi RMIC,
I was looking for information on the sarangiya Mohammad Hussein
Khansahib of Bhendi Bazar. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

-Bhairav

Rajan P. Parrikar

Jun 14, 2002, 1:36:37 AM6/14/02
hve...@yahoo.com (Bhairav) writes:

>Hi RMIC,
>I was looking for information on the sarangiya Mohammad Hussein
>Khansahib of Bhendi Bazar. Any help would be appreciated.

Mohammad Hussain Khan is the son of the expert sarangiya
Kadar Bux (the Kadar Bux-Ahmedjan 'Thirakwa' pair was
famous in its time for their sarangi-tabla performances).
He received tAleem in sarangi from his father. Later he
learnt vocal music from Aman Ali Khan (Bhendibazarwale)
and from a couple of others whose names I forget. If I
correctly recall, he also took some training in Vichitra
Veena. For the most part he lived in Pune and was
well-regarded as a teacher there. He was also a fine
composer and his compositions have been published
in two volumes, "Upaj" and "Bandish" (the cheez in
Hamsadhwani ('jA jA re jA'o balama') is quite
well-known). He has also conceived new ragas such as
Shivkauns (Shri Senders of Boston is known to sing his
cheez 'lAgi lAgi aba kAhuN se preeta'). You can find more
dirt on him in the aforementioned books, those obsolete
artifacts with pages and covers, usually found in
"libraries," those dilapidated, abandoned concrete
structures of the pre-Internet era.

Warm regards,

Bosma

Jun 14, 2002, 7:30:36 AM6/14/02
> I was looking for information on the sarangiya Mohammad Hussein
> Khansahib of Bhendi Bazar. Any help would be appreciated.

Mohammed Hussain Khan hails from Puna, born in 1907. He became a
disciple of Aman Ali Khan, hence the Bendhi Bazar appellation. He gave
up the sarangi to concentrate on singing "No matter how much a
sarangiy has practiced, a vocalist can always defeat him". (this is
from Joep Bor's: The Voice of the Sarangi) The statement is not sure
at all as far as I am concerned.
There is an old LP with Multani, Hussaini Kanada and Bhankar. He also
regularly broadcast from AIR.
I do not know if he is the same MHK as Mohammed Hussain Khan
"Sarahang". Does anybody?

Hans Bosma

Sajjad

Jun 14, 2002, 9:50:21 AM6/14/02
Sarahung was an Afghani Ustad who learnt from Ashiq Ali Khan and the
Patiala Gharana if I'm not mistaken.

Sajjad

Warren Senders

Jun 14, 2002, 10:25:31 AM6/14/02
>There is an old LP with Multani, Hussaini Kanada and Bhankar

And that's not the same Mohammad Hussain Khan, as a cursory
listen will tell you.

I have a recording of the Punewala MHK singing and playing sarangi;
while his voice is gruff his ideas are astonishing and compelling. I have
a fair number of his compositions in my repertoire, and quite a number
of stories about him from my Guru Devasthalibuwa.

WS

naniwadekar

Jun 14, 2002, 12:21:24 PM6/14/02

"Warren Senders" <war...@aol.comqwerty> wrote -

> >There is an old LP with Multani, Hussaini Kanada and Bhankar
>
> And that's not the same Mohammad Hussain Khan, as a cursory
> listen will tell you.

How so? That is far too cryptic/terse/unhelpful a remark about
somebody as little known as Mohammad Hussain Khan, both
Punewala and non-Punewala.

I would like to get hold of recordings of both MHKs. If anybody
is willing to help, please write me an email. Punewala MHK's
recordings should be traceable for me, especially since our own
Warren Senders happens to have them. There is also the prospect
of RP covering Shivakauns on sawf in future. One lives in hope.

- dn

Rajan P. Parrikar

Jun 14, 2002, 1:22:41 PM6/14/02
"naniwadekar" writes:

>I would like to get hold of recordings of both MHKs. If anybody
>is willing to help, please write me an email. Punewala MHK's

Sarahang's recordings have been featured on Sawf. See,
for example, the "Kanada Constellation" and "Shankara."

Many months ago I had posted a link to his mp3 of Saigal's
song "jhulanA jhulA'o." A little "research" (the American
term for a Google search) will yield more music by the man.

Warm regards,

Ferhan Qureshi

Jun 14, 2002, 4:19:11 PM6/14/02
Sajjad <saj...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3D09F49...@yahoo.com>...

> Sarahung was an Afghani Ustad who learnt from Ashiq Ali Khan and the
> Patiala Gharana if I'm not mistaken.
>
> Sajjad

Is anyone aware of commericial recordings of Ustad Sarahung? He seems
to be one of those legends we always hear about, however not much is
available. I've heard his name for years, and in fact Ustad Ali Akbar
Khansahib was speaking very highly of him less than a month ago. His
son, Ustad Altaff Hussein, also a classical singer, is currently in
the Los Angeles area. I know that Ustad Sarahung was frequently
accompanied on tabla by Ustad Ahshim(sp??), frequently recognized as
the greatest afghani tabla player in recent history. If anyone knows
where recordings of them could be obtained, please post. Thanks.

Ferhan Qureshi

naniwadekar

Jun 14, 2002, 8:10:26 PM6/14/02

Rajan P. Parrikar <parr...@yahoo.com> wrote -

> .... You can find more

> dirt on him in the aforementioned books, those obsolete
> artifacts with pages and covers, usually found in
> "libraries," those dilapidated, abandoned concrete
> structures of the pre-Internet era.
>
> Warm regards,

Here is an aside. Read at your own risk.
Barely an hour before I read Rajan's post, I was reading the incomparable
Simon Jenkins' column in The (London) Times. I am quoting some re-arranged
passages. The quote *can* do with further pruning, but ...

Students of British history are asked by examiners to trace the checks on
kingly power, usually from Magna Carta to adult suffrage. They are asked
what checks on the executive remain today. The available boxes usually
include parliamentary procedure, party democracy, Civil Service
independence, local government and the media. All these checks except the
last have withered, especially under the present Government.

This week marks a great victory for the British press. The walls of Fleet
Street are papered with sage predictions of its demise. Dead trees smeared
with ink would be seen off, first by radio, then by television, then by
market forces driving away advertising and circulation. When that proved
untrue, the internet would triumph. Journalists would run pleading to
website millionaires, begging for work. Newspapers would lose all influence,
confined to racing results and closing prices. None of this happened. The
sages could not have been more wrong. Yet the politics of the Nineties
asserted that it had.

I hate the idea of the media enjoying a monopoly on opposition to any
government. Constitutions should be pluralist. The Executive should be on a
short leash. Its natural inclination to corruption, secrecy and sleaze
should be vulnerable to parliamentary control and the rules of
administrative justice. Governments should be compelled to defer to other
constitutional institutions, to judges, assemblies and ethical codes.

But if this pluralism is denied, criticism will find some other outlet. At
present that outlet is the old-fashioned, derided, glorious press.

======================================

Critic

Jun 15, 2002, 8:09:57 PM6/15/02
I had heard that the appellation "Manarang" belongs to MHK. Is this correct.
If so, which one of the two MHKs does this belong to ?

"Bosma" <leg...@club-internet.fr> wrote in message

Sajjad

Jun 16, 2002, 3:07:55 PM6/16/02
For recs of Sarahung Khan try Afghani grocery stores... also... he was
accompanied by Ustad Hashim who was a shagird of Mian Kadir Baksh of the
Punjab Gharana.

Sajjad

Sam Vella

Jun 17, 2002, 4:18:48 PM6/17/02
Ferhan , Ustad Sarahang's music can be found here.
http://www.afghanhits.com/music/sarahang/
There are a couple of his Hindi pieces at this site including
Maine lakho ke bol sahi. Enjoy. Salim

aamir....@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2016, 6:27:31 AM3/7/16
I am just clutching the straws here, I know this discussion was somewhere in 2002 but came across this just now while searching on my grandfather ustad muhammad hussaing khan from poona. Since I do not have any of his recording, I would love to have a copy of them if they are available pls. I will be really grateful!!! thanks
Amir

srm...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2016, 8:06:36 AM7/7/16
Hi Amir,

Sorry for digressing the topic..Is Khan Sahib your grandfather ? Then u must be knowing Ustad Farooq Ali Chand.(Chand Ahmed).. Can u pls contact me at srm...@gmail.com ?

Thanks
Mahesh

tiwari.r...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2017, 11:32:35 AM3/29/17
what happened to Hussein sahab punewale lineage? does Farooq Ali Chand/Chand Ahmed belongs to same lineage?
dear Amir sahab
let us know about what happened after 1988; death of hussein sahab....
regards
r Kumar

moni...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2017, 11:50:02 PM4/11/17

aman.s....@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2017, 11:55:20 PM6/22/17
Ustad Mohammad Ali Khans family is still in Pune and Mumbai. His eldest son Ustad Shabbir Hussain played Sarangi and passed away around a decade back. His grandson Ustad Sajjad Hussain continues to teach in Mumbai. MHKs other son is Ustad Faiyyaz Hussain who stays in Pune. He is a great violinist. His son is Ali Hussain who is trying to make his mark as a singer.