Rumor of racist statement by Tommy Hilfiger: True or False? (fwd)

Brandon Toshiro Sugiyama

Feb 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/20/96

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 20 FEB 1996 23:55:26 GMT
From: 7176...@compuserve.com
Newgroups: soc.culture.asian.american
Subject: Rumor of racist statement by Tommy Hilfiger: True or False?

A classmate of my daughter did a report for school on the fashion designer
Tommy Hilfiger. Supposedly, he's quoted as saying that if he knew 'Chinks'
and 'Niggers' would wear his clothing he never would have go designed
it.

Our family's started our own little boycott till we can determine whether
these statements attributed to Mr. Hilfiger were actually made or not.

Can anyone either confirm or deny that Mr. Hilfiger made such a statement?

Ken Ong
Queens, New York

Miotch!

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
Brandon Toshiro Sugiyama (bs...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:

: A classmate of my daughter did a report for school on the fashion designer

: Tommy Hilfiger. Supposedly, he's quoted as saying that if he knew 'Chinks'
: and 'Niggers' would wear his clothing he never would have go designed
: it.

: Our family's started our own little boycott till we can determine whether
: these statements attributed to Mr. Hilfiger were actually made or not.

: Can anyone either confirm or deny that Mr. Hilfiger made such a statement?

: Ken Ong
: Queens, New York

Mr. Hilfiger did NOT make any of these statements. In fact, he hangs out
in several black-owned clubs, takes part in black fashion shows, and has
expressed pride that his clothes have been used worn by urban minority youth.

This same rumor was brought up about Ralph Lauren about 5 years ago.
However, he didn't do as much to outright kill it as Tommy has. So it
might have been true about the Polo man.

Please kill this thread now. It's unfair that you should help tarnish the
reputation of a decent, very open-mided man.

Peace,

Mitch

--
Mitch Kispert "I used to get frustrated with my Nike Air's,
They never matched my wears, I used to be in tears

Nafis Munir Abdullah

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96

On 21 Feb 1996, Miotch! wrote:

> Mr. Hilfiger did NOT make any of these statements. In fact, he hangs out
> in several black-owned clubs, takes part in black fashion shows, and has
> expressed pride that his clothes have been used worn by urban minority youth.
>
> This same rumor was brought up about Ralph Lauren about 5 years ago.
> However, he didn't do as much to outright kill it as Tommy has. So it
> might have been true about the Polo man.
>
> Please kill this thread now. It's unfair that you should help tarnish the
> reputation of a decent, very open-mided man.

I remember the same shit was said about Girbaud about three years
ago. Everybody was telling me that they were on Donahue, I think, saying
that they didn't want Blacks to buy their clothes, but nobody actually
saw it, just heard about it. It turned out to be just a lie. What kind
of asshole would shoot themselves in the foot like that anyway? I know
for a fact that Tommy definitely recognizes and give us our props. I
can't fuck with his shit personally. Strictly Lo wears around these parts.
-----
Nafis Munir Abdullah
nmab...@students.uiuc.edu
Free Brother Mumia Abu-Jamal and all political prisoners!
Peace to the Original Man of the Planet Earth!
"Herb - the healing of a nation. Keep you healthy, mind clear.
The more people smoke herb, the more Babylon fall..."
-Robert Nesta Marley
"Number one, competition is none,
I'm measured with the heat that is made by sun.."
-Rakim Allah

Joon-Mo Ok

Feb 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/21/96
On 21 Feb 1996, Miotch! wrote:

> Brandon Toshiro Sugiyama (bs...@gladstone.uoregon.edu) wrote:
>

> : A classmate of my daughter did a report for school on the fashion designer
> : Tommy Hilfiger. Supposedly, he's quoted as saying that if he knew 'Chinks'
> : and 'Niggers' would wear his clothing he never would have go designed
> : it.
>
> : Our family's started our own little boycott till we can determine whether
> : these statements attributed to Mr. Hilfiger were actually made or not.

You should not boycott until you know the statements were made.

> : Can anyone either confirm or deny that Mr. Hilfiger made such a statement?
>
> : Ken Ong
> : Queens, New York

Joon-Mo Ok
gen...@Leland.Stanford.EDU

Miotch!

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96
DJ Stealth1 (DJSte...@lexis-nexis.com) wrote:
: In article <Pine.Sola.3.91.96022...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu>,
: nmab...@students.uiuc.edu says...
: >
: >
: >On 21 Feb 1996, Miotch! wrote:
: >>
: >> Mr. Hilfiger did NOT make any of these statements. In fact, he hangs
: out
: >> in several black-owned clubs, takes part in black fashion shows, and
: has
: >> expressed pride that his clothes have been used worn by urban minority
: youth.
: >>
: >> This same rumor was brought up about Ralph Lauren about 5 years ago.
: >> However, he didn't do as much to outright kill it as Tommy has. So it
: >> might have been true about the Polo man.
: >>
: >> Please kill this thread now. It's unfair that you should help tarnish
: the
: >> reputation of a decent, very open-mided man.

: How do you know that "Tommy" is a "very open-minded man" and has a
: "decent" reputation?

Why didn't you read the rest of my post? Tommy has been quoted many times
as saying that he's proud to have his clothing be part of the "urban
minority" dress. He's also been known to frequent black clubs and fashion
shows in search of new designs.

That is why I consider him "open-minded" and "decent" (especially among
white clothing designers).

Peace,

Mitch

P.S. Hey "DJStealth", why do you hide behind a fake e-mail address? I
would have sent you mail instead of wasting bandwidth to embarrass you...

DJ

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96

flight

Feb 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/22/96

I just read an interview and he was saying how he loved that urban youth
are wearing his shit. He said the way that they wear his designs have
influenced his future clothing lines much. So I doubt this rumor is true.
Flight

> [...]

Kenneth M. Ingram

Feb 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/23/96
In article <Pine.Sola.3.91.96022...@ux5.cso.uiuc.edu>,

flight <gle...@ux5.cso.uiuc.edu> wrote:

>I just read an interview and he was saying how he loved that urban youth
>are wearing his shit. He said the way that they wear his designs have
>influenced his future clothing lines much. So I doubt this rumor is true.
>Flight

True dat! On many ocassions TH has stated that his designs are meant to
be worn by all "kinds" of people and that he very much appreciates the
diversity among the people that wear TH designs.

On the other hand, the designers of Timberland boots etc. are the ones
that despise the very idea of inner city youths sporting Timberland gear.
The manufacturers at one point curtailed shipments of timberland gear to
retail outlets in predominantly black areas.

-Ken

Alex P.

Feb 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/24/96

yeah that's the biggest bullshit...

I mean,what would TH ads featuring Black youth in Hill clothes
do on the back of every recent Vibe and Source magazines if he
were ashamed of Blacks sporting his gear?!!!
Besides,one of Tommy Hilfiger's recent fashion show featured
Quincy Jones,Methodman and other famous brothers on da
catwalk...

--
-----
O'Dog

Sean T. Nelson

Mar 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/2/96
On 28 Feb 1996 05:44:00 GMT, Erik Hess wrote:

This is what Tommy Hilifiger said:

"Black kids love for you to blow up the label. They have an
appreciation for color, for the style... When they started wearing
my
clothes, it was a big compliment to me. They are trendsetters, these
young urban kids, and I go out of my way to dress them."

This quote is straight outta the current Source (March issue). You
decide if this is racism..

Everybody always lookin' for something to pick at.

Let the man alone and quite trying to spin every little quote.

==================
Cerkit [Breaker]
dnb...@ucdavis.edu

word..... tommy embraced hip hop culture while other designers and
companies like timberland dissed it

supashoka tcv 10304 shaolin swordstyle

the toad style is immensely strong and immune to nearly any weapon
when properly used it almost invincible

Jason Hirschhorn

Mar 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/10/96

> Erik Hess wrote:
> >
> > This is what Tommy Hilifiger said:
> >
> > "Black kids love for you to blow up the label. They have an
> > appreciation for color, for the style... When they started wearing my
> > clothes, it was a big compliment to me. They are trendsetters, these
> > young urban kids, and I go out of my way to dress them."
> >
> > This quote is straight outta the current Source (March issue). You
> > decide if this is racism..

this is not racist in any way, shape or form...you must have a large chip
on your shoulder. Is Erik Hess really Kevin from the "Real World 1"?

Thanks,

Jason
--------
Jason Hirschhorn
--------
ja...@hirschhorn.com
jas...@inch.com
chro...@aol.com
jas...@warnerrcrds.com
--------
CD Clubs Web Server
http://www.inch.com/~jasonh/cdclubs
cdc...@aol.com
--------
"The highway is alive tonight."
-Bruce Spingsteen, "The Ghost of Tom Joad"

Jabari Wilson

Mar 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/10/96
THE KSG (kga...@cs.ucsd.edu) wrote:
> Erik Hess wrote:
> >
> > This is what Tommy Hilifiger said:
> >
> > "Black kids love for you to blow up the label. They have an
> > appreciation for color, for the style... When they started wearing my
> > clothes, it was a big compliment to me. They are trendsetters, these
> > young urban kids, and I go out of my way to dress them."
> >
> > This quote is straight outta the current Source (March issue). You
> > decide if this is racism..

> If anything I think it shows that he has in some ways his ear to the
> street. Of all the "trendy" brand names, I got the most respect for
> Tommy, although I don't got none of his clothes (don't got that kind
> of fedde).

> Even though I do think he gets a little carried away with the colors
> at times.

> KSG

I heard that Tommy Hilifiger said a racial slur, but if that was the
racial slur quoted in The Source-what's all the excitement of racism.
Tommy seems like a cool guy-even Vibe magazine is into him (advertise his
clothing line). Since Vibe is generally a black music magazine-I know
they would have taken the stance to boycott his clothes if a racial remark
was said. Peace
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
JAB$-"It's so lovely, sippin' on bubbly": AZ!
Carleton University
Email address: jrwi...@chat.carleton.ca
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

top...@ix.netcom.com

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
ja...@hirschhorn.com (Jason Hirschhorn) wrote:

>> Erik Hess wrote:
>> >
>> > This is what Tommy Hilifiger said:
>> >
>> > "Black kids love for you to blow up the label. They have an
>> > appreciation for color, for the style... When they started wearing my
>> > clothes, it was a big compliment to me. They are trendsetters, these
>> > young urban kids, and I go out of my way to dress them."
>> >
>> > This quote is straight outta the current Source (March issue). You
>> > decide if this is racism..
>>

>this is not racist in any way, shape or form...you must have a large chip
>on your shoulder. Is Erik Hess really Kevin from the "Real World 1"?

Yo, on the real, all that "we love blacks wearing our shit" is bull
shit. If you are trying to tell me that Tommy really wants niggas
wearing his shit, not only would he put more blacks in his ads but he
would also renig his previous comment about if he knew that we were
wearing it , he would not have made it!!! Nuff Said.

METHiC911

Mar 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/11/96
:;Is Erik Hess really Kevin from the "Real World 1"?

::Thanks,

::
Jason

Yes, you mean Eric Nees i guess, the guy on the grind, hes a fag, but were
talking about the same dude. Wanabe motherfucka./
cadetonez
north chicago...

Jose Marinho

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
who is that guy?Tommy Who??I love some of the clothes he designs
but that's all. Sorry, are you a racist?

Cerkit

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
On 12 Mar 1996 13:30:49 GMT, Phesto wrote:

WHEN WILL YALL REALIZE THAT THAT BEAST CALLED WHITE CORPORATE AMERICA IS
RACIST IN GENERAL AND IS **AGAINST** ALL NON-WHITES???

This is not paranoia...you think the Government is against Blacks? they
are...but they dont have the real power..its MONEY moguls like Hilfiger
that have all the power!!

When will *you* realize that that's bullshit?

"White Corporate America" has nothing to lose and everything to gain --
especially money -- supporting minorities. Every year, minorities consitute
more and more of America, and businesses would be stupid to ignore these
consumers.

Torvalds

Mar 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/12/96
I'm sorry, did Tommy Hilfiger say a racist comment? What was it? I buy
clothes with his name on it....

Jason Hirschhorn

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96

> Yo, on the real, all that "we love blacks wearing our shit" is bull
> shit. If you are trying to tell me that Tommy really wants niggas
> wearing his shit, not only would he put more blacks in his ads but he
> would also renig his previous comment about if he knew that we were
> wearing it , he would not have made it!!! Nuff Said.

chip on your shoulder...he never said that.

: )

Jason
--------
Jason Hirschhorn
--------
ja...@hirschhorn.com

jas...@warnerrcrds.com
jas...@inch.com
chro...@aol.com

Phesto

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96

Corporate America knows that as long as whites and blacks actually
believe they are different there is MUCH money to gain..think about it,
you have to entirely different markets to exploit.No where else in the
world are people as racially aware and NOWHERE else does corporate
america have such a profound impact as here..(Japan obivously, but there
is no racial division, and very little cutural division)..
thats the word young buc, wake up

Jason Hirschhorn

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96

> It's stretchin' it to call the statement racist, but again slome brothas
have endure so much shit they see racism eveywhere.

I am not black so I can't say i have felt racism....but I do understand
that constant racsim can breed paranoia.

Phesto

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
Hilfiger might or might not be racist..who cares...itd all about making
money....The fact is that American Business in gerneral is racist...that
doesnt mean they dont involve themselves with the black customer base, it
just means there is an active consipiracy to keep the whites and blacks
seperated..Example number 1...Coca Cola...

Peace

The BAD GUY, aThoL

Mar 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/13/96
On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, Cerkit wrote:

> On 12 Mar 1996 13:30:49 GMT, Phesto wrote:
>
> WHEN WILL YALL REALIZE THAT THAT BEAST CALLED WHITE CORPORATE AMERICA IS
> RACIST IN GENERAL AND IS **AGAINST** ALL NON-WHITES???
>
> This is not paranoia...you think the Government is against Blacks? they
> are...but they dont have the real power..its MONEY moguls like Hilfiger
> that have all the power!!
>
> When will *you* realize that that's bullshit?
>
> "White Corporate America" has nothing to lose and everything to gain --
> especially money -- supporting minorities. Every year, minorities consitute
> more and more of America, and businesses would be stupid to ignore these
> consumers.

Ideally correct, but reality incorrect. While White Corporate America has
a lot 2 gain marketing and supporting (so-called) minorities, the reality is
that they see us as poor, broke and lonely. They don't, in general, go
after the coloured folx money, they have their market and they couldn't
care less about us. After all, we don't have money to spend on their
isht, so why bother catering or even trying to appeal 2 them? (So-called)
minority communities are not exactly seen as economic forces (usually).

THE BAD GUY, ATHOL ___________________________________________________
"You have to stand for something or else you will fall for everything"
____________________________________________________ YU10...@YORKU.CA

Dawn Bohulano Mabalon

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
to calv...@falcon.jmu.edu
Hell yeah...as a Filipino (and the statement as I heard it, went "If I had
known Filipinos and Blacks would be wearing my clothes, I wouldn't have
designed it") I take offense at Hilfiger fronting like he's down for people of
color. This white man is taking our hard earned money, designing these wack and
boring overpriced clothes made by starving workers in the Philippines who are
paid a few dollars a day.Then we poor ass people pay hella $$ for his clothes
and his capitalist ass laughs all the way to the bank. Is he helping to support
our communities in L.A. that are wracked with gang violence, teen pregnancy,
messed up schools, poverty, etc? Do we see any of that money come back to our
communities? No...he's living it up on our money, sailing on his fuckin' yacht.

Why as oppressed people of color are we giving hella $$ to these wack white
people (Perry Ellis, Ralph Lauren, Nautica, etc.) who are just capitalist pigs?
Filipinos are buying Tommy Hil like there's no fuckin' tomorrow but these are
Flips who act like they don't know.

Hip-hop is about consciousness raising, about unity of people of color against
this fucked up, imperialist, colonialist racist and sexist white capitalist
system, it's about revolutionary thinking. Not about wearing some rich white
man's overpriced clothes while he laughs about how he's duped all of us dumb,
poor minorities who spend our last dollars not on educating our minds with
books, or buying music, but on his wack clothes.

Dawn

Can't afford Guess? or fill Tommy Hill
I'll be buck naked
but I'll still kick skill -- Kiwi

David Whitt

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96

In article <4i7a2n$3...@doc.jmu.edu>, Phesto <calv...@falcon.jmu.edu> wrote:

>dnb...@ucdavis.edu (Cerkit) wrote:
>world are people as racially aware and NOWHERE else does corporate
>america have such a profound impact as here..(Japan obivously, but there
>is no racial division, and very little cutural division)..
>thats the word young buc, wake up

You obviously know little about Japanese culture. While it is much more
homogenous than America, there is a rather large Korean minority in Japan
who are treated as inferiors by the Japanese. Your ideas are wrong in
that division of a consumer base (ie racial or age division) might cause
for a more diverse market, but the size of the market stays the same. You
still have x number of consumers. If 70% are white and the rest minority,
then you have x - 0.7x for one market and x - 0.3x for the other. The
overall size of the market remains the same, only the diversity increases.

-DW

Miotch!

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
Dawn Bohulano Mabalon (da...@ucla.edu) wrote:
: Hell yeah...as a Filipino (and the statement as I heard it, went "If I had
: known Filipinos and Blacks would be wearing my clothes, I wouldn't have
: designed it")

That's the problem right there. The guy who started this post a few weeks
ago said that he heard it as "If I knew Chinks and Blacks were wearing my
clothes, I wouldn't have designed them." He was Chinese.

I think y'all should get my point here. It's a rumor. It's been floating
around for years, and has been attributed to Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, and
Perry Ellis, just to name a few. It's been changed around from blacks to
Chinese to Mexicans to Filipinos, etc. and back again.

Tommy never made that comment. It's been around since LONG before he blew up.

[...]

You show a lot of intellect here, and you've got a great point. Much respect.
So why do you use that rumor to start everything off?

It's a good cause, but why do people feel like they've gotta start rumors
like this to get attention? Straight up education is where it's at;
rumors, lies and propaganda only get in the way.

Peace, and long live hip-hop

Mitch

Miotch!

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
top...@ix.netcom.com wrote:
: ja...@hirschhorn.com (Jason Hirschhorn) wrote:

: >> Erik Hess wrote:
: >> >
[...]

The whole point of this post (which started a few weeks ago) was that
Tommy did NOT make the "if blacks were wearing it, I wouldn't have made
it" comment!!

That shit's a rumor. RUMOR. Although it may be attributed to Ralph
Lauren (the same thing was floating around about him a while back).

So it didn't happen. Tommy Hil never said anything derogatory about
blacks, the urban lifestyle, or who wears his clothes.

He DID, however, pay respect to all the urban youth who have helped his
clothes blow up. Let's stop the ignorance, aiight...

(and kill this thread)

Peace

Phesto

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96

Thats simple math, my point was with two differing customer bases of
different tastes there is obviously greater potential for profit..anyone
with any knowledge of economics knows that....and now you do to

PS_I lived in japan for 4 years

"Love, peace, and money"

DAT...@clemson.edu

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
I don't think that Tommy is racist. If he was he wouldn't advertise
monthly in the Source or ship clothes to Puba and Snoop and damn near
every other rapper in the buisness. He does have black models in his ads
and probably would have signed Tyson(model not Iron Mike) if Ralph Lauren
hadn't.

The BAD GUY, aThoL

Mar 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/14/96
On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Jason Hirschhorn wrote:

> I am not black so I can't say i have felt racism....but I do understand
> that constant racsim can breed paranoia.
>
> : )
>
> Jason

I let this shit slide 4 a while b/c, intially, it was amusing. Now it's
just annoying.

Jason, let me give you a clue. It's people like you who, as you have
admitted above, don't feel racism but think that since you don't feel it,
it doesn't exist. You trivialize it to those who *DO* feel it by saying
it's "paranoia", "you people have a chip on your shoulder", or "you
people are so sensitive." It does exist and people are not making this
shit up. Maybe if you stop dismissing it and start to address and
confront it then we can get on to the business of education, which, while
not eliminating racism, will limit it to the more ignorant.

I'm tired of fool like you saying "us people" have problems etc. The
classic "blame the victim" syndrome people like you play on us people of
colour shit ain't going to wash anymore.

rai_

Mar 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/15/96
I'm Asian too, and it's nice to see a Asian person state his claims!!!
Clothing is not the brand that counts, it's what you express in your
clothing that counts.

rai_

rai...@onramp.net

In article <4i86ak$u...@saba.info.ucla.edu>, Dawn Bohulano Mabalon
<da...@ucla.edu> wrote:

> Hell yeah...as a Filipino (and the statement as I heard it, went "If I had
> known Filipinos and Blacks would be wearing my clothes, I wouldn't have

> designed it") I take offense at Hilfiger fronting like he's down for

people of
> color. This white man is taking our hard earned money, designing these
wack and
> boring overpriced clothes made by starving workers in the Philippines who are
> paid a few dollars a day.Then we poor ass people pay hella $$ for his clothes
> and his capitalist ass laughs all the way to the bank. Is he helping to
support
> our communities in L.A. that are wracked with gang violence, teen pregnancy,
> messed up schools, poverty, etc? Do we see any of that money come back to our
> communities? No...he's living it up on our money, sailing on his fuckin'
yacht.

> Why as oppressed people of color are we giving hella $$ to these wack white
> people (Perry Ellis, Ralph Lauren, Nautica, etc.) who are just
capitalist pigs?
> Filipinos are buying Tommy Hil like there's no fuckin' tomorrow but these are
> Flips who act like they don't know.
>

> Hip-hop is about consciousness raising, about unity of people of color
against
> this fucked up, imperialist, colonialist racist and sexist white capitalist
> system, it's about revolutionary thinking. Not about wearing some rich white
> man's overpriced clothes while he laughs about how he's duped all of us dumb,
> poor minorities who spend our last dollars not on educating our minds with
> books, or buying music, but on his wack clothes.

Cerkit

Mar 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/16/96
On 13 Mar 1996 20:09:59 GMT, Phesto wrote:

Corporate America knows that as long as whites and blacks actually
believe they are different there is MUCH money to gain..think about it,
you have to entirely different markets to exploit.

Good point about seperating the markets -- but the comment "Corporate
America is against nonwhites" is not supported by this argument.

Keeping demographics segregated isn't "racist." It's necessary for business:
currently in America, the black and white cultures *are* very different.
Advertisers cannot target two very different cultures with the same
commercial. There is nothing racist about that.

Comments?

==================
Cerkit [Breaker]
dnb...@ucdavis.edu

Peter Vanable

Mar 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/18/96
In article <4i7sla$q...@hubcap.clemson.edu> DAT...@clemson.edu writes:
>From: DAT...@clemson.edu
>Subject: Re: Racist statement by Tommy Hilfiger: you decide!!
>Date: 14 Mar 1996 01:27:06 GMT

Tommy isn't racist but he sure as hell knows his market. Tommy dresses
rappers and performers because he knows that as soon as their videos are aired
on MTV, BET, etc., his sales fucking skyrockets! When snoop performed on
Saturday Night Live a while back sporting a TH jersey. Hilfiger himself
said that by the next day most of those shirts were sold out in his stores.

Hilfiger even came to Atlanta to speak to Morehouse College because he knows
that young blacks are buying his clothes. Look at his advertisements, Tommy
Hilfiger usually has a black person in his ad. Can Nautica and Polo say the
same?

Tommy Hilfiger knows his target audience. He knows that bright, colorful,
identifiable clothes with the TH logo clearly visible on it will sell to urban
youth. He knows this because we (especially African Americans) WEAR our
wealth. You don't see his other lines like that, because they're marketed
towards the preppy white kids. If it doesn't have the name on it, we won't
buy it! And he knows this. He also knows (and for the most part we
minorities don't) that all of that colorful and loud shit will be out of style
next season. Who the fuck is going to be wearing metallic bubble jackets
next year?! He keeps us coming back to buy more.

There's nothing wrong with TH, I have some of his stuff myself. But that
rumor has been said about almost every designer popular with blacks. Back in
the day it was Gloria Vanderbuilt and how her jeans weren't made to fit the
wider hips and asses of black women. They said similar rumors about Ralph
Lauren, Donna Karan, Perry Ellis, Izod. Come on! We need to stop being so
damn divided for a change and maybe get together so that we see more minority
models in advertisements and on runways and hired at these multi million
dollar companies that are so solely by minority dollars.
--
Peter Vanable
University of Illinois at Chicago

Mozart

Mar 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/22/96
perf...@callnet.com (Perry Fect) wrote:

>Cerkit (dnb...@ucdavis.edu) wrote:

Very complex subject. But very good :)

This is all because Hip-Hop is a money making fashion now. Not a true
statement of one's style. The media drives it.

Before this happened, it was cool to be down. You really had to be
involved in the scene to be in it. Now all you have to do is watch
a video and copy whatever is shown in it. (A very familiar scene at
any local shopping mall)

Everyone knows what RAP is... not many know about the roots .
Just a sponge sucking up what they are told is cool!

As for how marketing is done. .. I agree with
you. To turn a profit you have to set a target audience. Or make
commercials for both sides (like coke or McDonalds). Depending on
what is showing on TV will drive the ads. Why advertise tampons
during a superbowl? Or beer during a daytime soap-opera?

It depends on what people can relate to when viewing...

just my .00000001 cents worth.

Jesse A McDonald

Mar 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/23/96
: seperated..Example number 1...Coca Cola...

I take it you saw the "shiiiit" commercial, too?

--
Jesse McDonald http://www.cfn.cs.dal.ca/~ad309/Profile.html

randolph....@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2016, 2:48:50 AM9/2/16
On Tuesday, February 20, 1996 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-7, Brandon Toshiro Sugiyama wrote:
> [...]

Gosh no, say it isn't so! a Social Justice Warrior that leaps into action wreaking as much havoc as he or she can before a simple look at facts? This is the core essential modus operandi of social justice warriors everywhere. The job of the pro-black and social justice warriors is to create divisiveness everywhere they go. "Critical theory" didn't get it's name from bringing people together. They need the divisiveness and criticism of everything, so people can hate each other based upon their differences, and call that "multiculturalism".