Best wordplayer in US rap history?

mattmatical

Jul 30, 2010, 8:46:04 AM7/30/10
Who in your opinion has the sickest wordplay game (puns
mainly, but also punchlines, similes, metaphors) of all
US rappers?

Matt

mochaspresso

Jul 30, 2010, 12:15:18 PM7/30/10
I want to make a case for jay z. I wouldn't say that he's big on the
use of similes and metaphors, but he does have a unique and
interesting way of putting words together.

STRATEGY

Jul 31, 2010, 12:56:32 PM7/31/10

wouldn't that also be rap history period?

STRATEGY

mattmatical

Jul 31, 2010, 1:40:33 PM7/31/10

There's rap outside the US, you know.

Plus there are so many languages people rap in,
many of which possibly lend themselves better to
wordplay than English, that a global wordplay
champ is impossible to determine.

Matt

STRATEGY

Jul 31, 2010, 5:07:45 PM7/31/10
On Jul 31, 10:40 am, mattmatical <i...@i.be> wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 09:56:32 -0700 (PDT), STRATEGY wrote:
> >On Jul 30, 5:46 am, mattmatical <i...@i.be> wrote:
> >> Who in your opinion has the sickest wordplay game (puns
> >> mainly, but also punchlines, similes, metaphors) of all
> >> US rappers?
>
> >> Matt
>
> >wouldn't that also be rap history period?
>
> There's rap outside the US, you know.

of course, but we're talking about the cream of the crop aren't we?
It's a ridiculous argument, it's like me claiming that the US is
better at Curling than Canada because we have some underground curlers
somewhere that are really dope.

STRATEGY

The Ranger

Jul 31, 2010, 7:18:40 PM7/31/10

he's not saying there are other nations that are better at hiphop,
just that there are possibly rappers with superior word play...i'd say
it's quite possible

A to the L

Jul 31, 2010, 11:05:00 PM7/31/10

Big L? Lord Finesse?

A to the L

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." -Mike Tyson
Contradictory Hiphop truth with a bitter and twisted attitude
http://www.altrap.com

Cochise MC

Aug 1, 2010, 12:57:08 AM8/1/10
"R A to the K I aM, If I wasn't then why would I say I am". This dude
put the word into wordplay

mattmatical

Aug 1, 2010, 4:09:30 AM8/1/10
On Sat, 31 Jul 2010 14:07:45 -0700 (PDT), STRATEGY wrote:

>On Jul 31, 10:40 am, mattmatical <i...@i.be> wrote:

>> >wouldn't that also be rap history period?
>>
>> There's rap outside the US, you know.
>
>of course, but we're talking about the cream of the crop aren't we?
>It's a ridiculous argument, it's like me claiming that the US is
>better at Curling than Canada because we have some underground curlers
>somewhere that are really dope.

What The Ranger said. I'm talking double entendres,
malapropisms, taking figures of speech and twisting
them, puns, etc. The possibilites that the language
itself offers are key here, and from what I've learned
so far, Latin languages or German just offer more of
these possibilites than (modern day) English.

The US has MC's that really work successfully with
language in that particular way, Jay-Z most notably,
but also Redman, Bun B, Vakill, Apathy and a gang
of underground/backpack folk.

But I'd wager that the wordplay ratio is is higher in
other languages. There's this relative newcomer in
Germany named Kollegah who has a pimp persona
whose wordplay (especially if we view it as part of
a rap pimp's 'game') puts every US pimp rapper
this side of Suga Free to shame.

Obviously as far as general creativity with language
and putting it into raps goes, it's hard to think of
foreigners who could match the mastery/originality
of De La Soul, OutKast, Finesse, Rakim, etc.

Matt

suntzu

Aug 1, 2010, 4:55:56 PM8/1/10

doom is up there.

Google Beta User

Aug 9, 2010, 11:26:36 AM8/9/10

There's no one undisputable best, but I liked GZA.

Mzomhle Mahola

Aug 9, 2010, 11:53:38 AM8/9/10

The GZA! The best!

heyc...@gmail.com

May 18, 2015, 7:21:00 PM5/18/15
Your a dickhead i hate people like you on this you fool he specificly asked for US rappers not the world and prabably for a reason he's not gonna wanna know about rappers that rap in a language he cant fucking understand READ THE QUESTION YOU RETARD!!!