Demonoid Gone Forever?

bg9696bigyell

Aug 3, 2012, 5:28:10 PM8/3/12
Demonoid Has been Taken down Permanently?

This Video will Show you Everything :-(

http://youtu.be/y_gxnRjlHig

Walter Karmazyn

Aug 3, 2012, 6:46:06 PM8/3/12
On 8/3/2012 2:28 PM, bg9696 bigYell wrote:
> Demonoid Has been Taken down Permanently?

No.

> This Video will Show you Everything :-(
>
> http://youtu.be/y_gxnRjlHig

It shows me some guy who doesn't know what a
DDOS is is predicting the end of days. Must be all of 15, or around so
short a time to not know THE DEMON has overcome this before.

Band Beyond Desu

Aug 6, 2012, 6:31:25 AM8/6/12

bigrr

Aug 6, 2012, 8:20:01 AM8/6/12
In article
<1481289044365941902...@News.Individual.NET>, Band
Beyond Desu <t...@aiko.com> wrote:

> http://www.zdnet.com/one-week-later-demonoid-still-down-after-massive-ddos-att
> ack-7000001937

Thanks Steve.

Here's an interesting op-ed piece from yesterday's NY Times about
internet piracy and its 'whack-a-mole' nature.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/sunday-review/internet-pirates-will-al
ways-win.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

Walter Karmazyn

Aug 6, 2012, 11:44:40 AM8/6/12
Thanks for the update, Steve. How long it takes for them to come back
is another story, iirc, 3 years ago it was down from just after labor
day to just before Christmas, and I'm thinking one shorter event (week
or 2?) since then.

Neil X.

Aug 6, 2012, 11:52:35 AM8/6/12
On Aug 6, 11:44 am, Walter Karmazyn <walterkarma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/2012 3:31 AM, Band Beyond Desu wrote:
>

> > Walter Karmazyn <walterkarma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> No.

> >> It shows me some guy who doesn't know what a
> >> DDOS is is predicting the end of days.  Must be all of 15, or around so
> >> short a time to not know  THE DEMON has overcome this before.

> > As of a few days ago:
>
> >http://www.zdnet.com/one-week-later-demonoid-still-down-after-massive...
>
> Thanks for the update, Steve.  How long it takes for them to come back
> is another story, iirc, 3 years ago it was down from just after labor
> day to just before Christmas,  and I'm thinking one shorter event (week
> or 2?) since then.

Walter, this time it's gone forever. After the DDos attack, the
Ukrainian government raided the server mill and took the site down.
Looks like the entire operation was coordinated to coincide with a
visit of the Ukranian prime minister to the US this week.

http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-busted-as-a-gift-to-the-united-states-government-120806/

I've never downloaded copyrighted materials, a site like Demonoid,
doesn't it worry you that you'll end up caught in a RIAA lawsuit?

Peace,
Neil X.

Walter Karmazyn

Aug 6, 2012, 5:04:56 PM8/6/12
Not really. While its known for copyrighted materials, there was also a
lot of fair use stuff, including GD that you can find there (Charlie
Miller, etc). Also 24bit needle drops of vinyl and other out of print
stuff that would come from a used record/cd store where the artist isn't
getting any kickback. If I want something currently being sold, I'll
buy it. Music-wise I torrent a lot more with bt/etree, Dime and shnflac
than I do from Demonoid. I might grab an interesting show I missed on
the tube or some of the good BBC stuff (watch and delete, like when I'd
record a show on VHS years ago and use the same tape over and over), but
never went in for grabbing current movies or newly released dvds. I'm
still not convinced they're gone for good, as the article says at its
close, the devil may yet be back. Apparently not soon however.

Neil X.

Aug 6, 2012, 5:11:02 PM8/6/12
On Aug 6, 5:04 pm, Walter Karmazyn <walterkarma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On 8/6/2012 8:52 AM, Neil X. wrote:

> >> Thanks for the update, Steve.  How long it takes for them to come back
> >> is another story, iirc, 3 years ago it was down from just after labor
> >> day to just before Christmas,  and I'm thinking one shorter event (week
> >> or 2?) since then.
>
> > Walter, this time it's gone forever.  After the DDos attack, the
> > Ukrainian government raided the server mill and took the site down.
> > Looks like the entire operation was coordinated to coincide with a
> > visit of the Ukranian prime minister to the US this week.
>
> >http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-busted-as-a-gift-to-the-united-state...
>
> > I've never downloaded copyrighted materials, a site like Demonoid,
> > doesn't it worry you that you'll end up caught in a RIAA lawsuit?
>
> > Peace,
> > Neil X.
>
> Not really.  While its known for copyrighted materials, there was also a
> lot of fair use stuff, including GD that you can find there (Charlie
> Miller, etc).  Also 24bit needle drops of vinyl and other out of print
> stuff that would come from a used record/cd store where the artist isn't
> getting any kickback.  If I want something currently being sold, I'll
> buy it.  Music-wise I torrent a lot more with bt/etree, Dime and shnflac
> than I do from Demonoid.  I might grab an interesting show I missed on
> the tube or some of the good BBC stuff (watch and delete, like when I'd
> record a show on VHS years ago and use the same tape over and over), but
> never went in for grabbing current movies or newly released dvds.  I'm
> still not convinced they're gone for good, as the article says at its
> close, the devil may yet be back.  Apparently not soon however.

Well, that's pretty much what I do too, I'll download or copy stuff
that cannot be purchased. But I think the legal situation still is
that this violates copyright laws, even if it seems to be an admirably
ethical course of action. I guess it's pretty unlikely for any
individual to ever get snared by an RIAA lawsuit, but it still gives
me pause.

Peace,
Neil X.

yoker

Aug 6, 2012, 6:14:56 PM8/6/12
On 8/3/2012 2:28 PM, bg9696 bigYell wrote:

> > Demonoid Has been Taken down Permanently?

Probably not.
But then there's these old standbys:
http://www.thepratebay.se
and
http://bt.etree.org

Band Beyond Desu

Aug 6, 2012, 8:20:05 PM8/6/12
And for those reasons you list, there're some whack-a-mole alternatives
listed in the comments section of the Torrentfreak article.

Walter Karmazyn

Aug 7, 2012, 11:59:17 AM8/7/12
It's getting weirder by the day. Now it's being reported that the
owners/operators are the subject of a criminal investigation in Mexico.
Some are also wondering about what kind of user info the Ukrainians
copied. Article here...

http://torrentfreak.com/demonoid-operators-face-criminal-investigation-in-mexico-120807/

Hope this link works, as it wraps around..

Message has been deleted

Band Beyond Desu

Aug 7, 2012, 2:09:42 PM8/7/12
Band Beyond Desu <t...@aiko.com> wrote:
> Sad to see it go if true, but the worldwide hydra has been quite
> resilient and inventive to date: Note the anti-ACTA and Pirate Party
> sentiments that have taken real-life root in numerous countries whose
> populaces don't like the policies inserted into international trade pacts
> that the RIAA/MPAA lobbyists have paid their USG minions to propagate.

Plus, let's not forget it's an election year, hence these politically
motivated spectacles...not too different from the ramped-up war on some
drugs. Props to Jeff here.

bzl...@aaool.com

Aug 7, 2012, 2:10:48 PM8/7/12
Right. If it wasn't an election year, then stealing would still be
fine. What a great country.

Band Beyond Desu

Aug 7, 2012, 8:27:39 PM8/7/12
There's some of that I'm sure, but just like the Megaupload case, and as
Walter has alluded, there's also a lot of throwing out the gray-area
fair-use baby with the out-of-print bath water. And people being anti-ACTA
(whether in other countries or not) doesn't necessarily equate to
pro-stealing; quite often it is pro-sovereignty anti-U.S. hegemony.

mark...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2012, 9:08:38 PM8/7/12
And maybe not coincidentally:

http://blog.archive.org/2012/08/07/over-1000000-torrents-of-downloadable-books-music-and-movies/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over 1,000,000 Torrents of Downloadable Books, Music, and Movies
Posted on August 7, 2012 by brewster

The Internet Archive is now offering over 1,000,000 torrents including our live music concerts, the Prelinger movie collection, the librivox audio book collection, feature films, old time radio, lots and lots of books, and all new uploads from our patrons into Community collections (with more to follow).

Neil X.

Aug 7, 2012, 11:52:31 PM8/7/12
On Aug 7, 8:27 pm, Band Beyond Desu <t...@aiko.com> wrote:
> <bzl...@aaool.com> wrote:

> >> Plus, let's not forget it's an election year, hence these politically
> >> motivated spectacles...not too different from the ramped-up war on some
> >> drugs. Props to Jeff here.
>
> > Right.  If it wasn't an election year, then stealing would still be
> > fine.  What a great country.
>
> There's some of that I'm sure, but just like the Megaupload case, and as
> Walter has alluded, there's also a lot of throwing out the gray-area
> fair-use baby with the out-of-print bath water. And people being anti-ACTA
> (whether in other countries or not) doesn't necessarily equate to
> pro-stealing; quite often it is pro-sovereignty anti-U.S. hegemony.

Frankly, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the idea that Demonoid was
OK because there was a "gray-area -air-use baby" involved. That was
like 1% of Demonoid's bandwidth.

Peace,
Neil X.

Band Beyond Desu

Aug 8, 2012, 2:01:22 PM8/8/12
Say what you will, and hope you're not Demonizing the Demon at the expense
of greater BT ecosystem (if so, that sounds a lot like the very
administration with which you've expressed disappointment on a whole host
of very important issues you've cited, such as civil rights, MMJ, etc.) but
the picture is bigger and not as black and white as you would have us
believe...

I am just saying, however, that this move apparently has *U.S.-based*
(bought-and-paid-for) political impetus, motivation and calculus, just as
any other disappointing act or policy the administration has done or
backtracked on (counter to its previous campaign or post-election
statements) that rightly warrants your and every righteous person's
disapproval. It is a legitimate question to raise, especially when all this
(bought-and-paid-for) political effort is now being expended in an election
year in a time of supposedly limited budgets on such an easy, visible
target when a host of the world's ills remain unpursued (imagine if they
decided to allocate a fraction of such political capital toward really
important things like improving nutrition, education and general quality of
life as well as eliminating poverty, hunger, human trafficking, AIDS,
malaria, etc.)

(and NB: Demon didn't use bandwidth as it didn't host files):

http://torrentfreak.com/internet-archive-starts-seeding-1398635-torrents-120807/

Internet Archive Starts Seeding 1,398,875 Torrents

ErnestoAugust 7, 2012

The Internet Archive has just enriched the BitTorrent ecosystem with well
over a million torrent files, and that’s just the start of “universal
access to all knowledge.” The torrents link to almost a petabyte of data
and all files are being seeded by the Archive’s servers. Founder Brewster
Kahle told TorrentFreak that turning BitTorrent into a distributed
preservation system for the Internet is the next step.

The Internet Archive‘s mission statement is to provide “universal access to
all knowledge,” which is not all that different from The Pirate Bay’s
ethos.

BitTorrent is the fastest way to share files with large groups of people
over the Internet, and this is one of the reasons that prompted the
Internet Archive to start seeding well over a million of their files using
the popular file-sharing protocol.

Starting today, all new files uploaded to the Archive will also be
available via BitTorrent. In addition, a massive collection of older files
including concerts from John Mayer, Jack Johnson and Maroon 5 and the
Prelinger collection are also being published via torrents.

“I hope this is greeted by the BitTorrent community, as we are loving what
they have built and are very glad we can populate the BitTorrent universe
with library and archive materials,” Internet Archive founder Brewster
Kahle told TorrentFreak.

“There is a great opportunity for symbiosis between the Libraries and
Archives world and the BitTorrent communities,” he adds.

At the time of writing the Internet Archive is seeding 1,398,875 torrents,
but hundreds of new ones are being added every hour. The Internet Archive
recognizes that BitTorrent is now the fastest way to download files.

“BitTorrent is now the fastest way to download items from the Archive,
because the BitTorrent client downloads simultaneously from two different
Archive servers located in two different datacenters, and from other
Archive users who have downloaded these torrents already.”

Interestingly, the Archive’s plans for BitTorrent are not limited to
providing an alternative download link for their files. Founder Brewster
Kahle says that they are also working on turning it into a storage
mechanism.

“The next step is to make BitTorrent a distributed preservation system for
content like ours,” Kahle told us. Kahle believes that the Internet Archive
and the BitTorrent community can help each other and hopes to get the
discussion on the preservation idea started.

“I think this whole thing will be awesome, and possibly very important,” he
adds.

In the wake of recent news featuring raids, crackdowns, DDoSes and
lawsuits, this announcement from the Internet Archive brings some very
welcome positive news about BitTorrent. For those who are interested in
tracking how many people are leeching from the archive, here are some fancy
graphs.

bzl...@aaool.com

Aug 8, 2012, 3:18:14 PM8/8/12
On 8 Aug 2012 18:01:22 GMT, Band Beyond Desu <t...@aiko.com> wrote:

>Say what you will,

blah blah blah edited, before my brain explodes.

-------------

Face it Steve, people just don't like this 'cuz they can't steal their
free stuff while it's not working. It's really quite simple. And I
just said it in under 50 words!

Bzl.

gringo

Aug 8, 2012, 3:29:05 PM8/8/12
I think it goes back to the content creator. If they want to give it away free, great. If they don't, then it should not be available. Some bands are taper friendly, and some are not. IMHO, there is no grey area.

Kurt

Neil X.

Aug 8, 2012, 3:43:09 PM8/8/12
> Steve wrote:
>
> <1000s of words about archive.org snipped>

I'm not sure what the activities of the internet archive have to do
with Demonoid. One respects intellectual property rights, the other
was chock-a-block full of material being distributed without the
permission of the copyright owners. I can't shed a lot of tears for
the fact that it just got somewhat harder for people to steal things.

Peace,
Neil X.

sweetbac

Aug 8, 2012, 6:09:43 PM8/8/12

"Neil X." <nei...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I can't shed a lot of tears for the fact that it just got somewhat
> harder for people to steal things.
>
> Peace,
> Neil X.

I can.

Band Beyond Desu

Aug 8, 2012, 8:55:16 PM8/8/12
SAINT STEPHEN!!!

bg9696bigyell

Aug 8, 2012, 11:29:19 PM8/8/12
Ever borrow a book from a friend? Ever copy a Studio CD from a friend?
Diff?

Band Beyond Desu

Aug 8, 2012, 11:38:33 PM8/8/12
Because Neil, who rightfully decries the Obama administration's hemming,
hawing and backsliding on other big issues (but not this one), says so.

Brad Greer

Aug 9, 2012, 6:56:18 AM8/9/12
Borrowing a book is different - you either return it (and no longer
have the book) or keep it (and your friend no longer has the book).
Copying a friend's CD is the same, just on a smaller scale.

bg9696bigyell

Aug 9, 2012, 10:28:01 PM8/9/12
Most people only read a book once. If I buy a book and lend it to 20
friends, that a loss of 20 potential sales of the book. Same with a CD.
Saying it s different than Bit Torrent is semantics with the only
difference to note is that I don't know the bit owners personally.

dr.narcolepsy

Aug 9, 2012, 10:36:32 PM8/9/12
On Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:28:01 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> Brad Greer <jjh1...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Borrowing a book is different - you either return it (and no longer
> > have the book) or keep it (and your friend no longer has the book).
> > Copying a friend's CD is the same, just on a smaller scale.
>
> Most people only read a book once. If I buy a book and lend it to 20
> friends, that a loss of 20 potential sales of the book. Same with a CD.
> Saying it s different than Bit Torrent is semantics with the only
> difference to note is that I don't know the bit owners personally.

Seth?

Brad Greer

Aug 10, 2012, 6:47:18 AM8/10/12
Depends on the book, doesn't it? There are books I've read many times
over. There are books I reference from time to time. That's not just
semantics, that's reality.

bzl...@aaool.com

Aug 10, 2012, 8:43:19 AM8/10/12
On 10 Aug 2012 02:28:01 GMT, <bg9696 bigYell> wrote:

Semantics, and magnitude. Most torrents end up going out to a bit
more than 20 people.

Neil X.

Aug 10, 2012, 11:02:53 PM8/10/12
No, I have never, ever copied a studio CD from a friend.

I have borrowed books from friends, but have never photocopied them
before returning them.

HTH,
Neil X.

Neil X.

Aug 10, 2012, 11:05:26 PM8/10/12
On Aug 9, 10:28 pm, <bg9696 bigYell> wrote:
Remarkably clueless post. Have you ever bought a book and lent it to
20 friends? Ever? Even once? Nice theoretical. But rampant theft
of intellectual property is reality, not theory.

HTH,
Neil X.

Neil X.

Aug 10, 2012, 11:09:40 PM8/10/12
But actually, my response above doesn't really respond to the crux of
the issue. BitTorrent is nothing at all like lending one copy of a
book to 20 people. It's like photocopying 20 copies of a book and
giving them to your friends. Not at all the same thing.

Peace,
Neil X.

Neil X.

Aug 10, 2012, 11:12:27 PM8/10/12
On Aug 9, 10:36 pm, "dr.narcolepsy" <jmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, August 9, 2012 10:28:01 PM UTC-4, (unknown) wrote:
> > Brad Greer <jjh110...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Borrowing a book is different - you either return it (and no longer
> > > have the book) or keep it (and your friend no longer has the book).
> > > Copying a friend's CD is the same, just on a smaller scale.
>
> > Most people only read a book once. If I buy a book and lend it to 20
> > friends, that a loss of 20 potential sales of the book. Same with a CD.
> > Saying it s different than Bit Torrent is semantics with the only
> > difference to note is that I don't know the bit owners personally.
>
> Seth?

No, Mr O'Chortus actually has ethics. Don't confuse being an asshole
with being unethical. Seth would not have made the post above.

Peace,
Neil X.

Band Beyond Desu

Aug 11, 2012, 3:37:29 AM8/11/12
Here's an "ethical" question: Ethics vs illegality...how is Demonoid any
less illegal (ethical?) than anything you based, actually did IRL and/or
graciously documented for us in your series of Hunter S. Thompson-esque
weird-turn-pro GD travelogues? Why get your knickers in a trifling twist
over Bit Torrent, and Demon specifically? Why do you arbitrarily and
capriciously draw the line there for some
Reason?

dr.narcolepsy

Aug 12, 2012, 12:19:29 PM8/12/12
domain names reportedly up for sale

Walter Karmazyn

Aug 12, 2012, 2:48:17 PM8/12/12
On 8/12/2012 9:19 AM, dr.narcolepsy wrote:
> domain names reportedly up for sale

Demonoid Domains Go Up For Sale

enigmax
August 12, 2012

While it’s undoubtedly been a turbulent couple of weeks for Demonoid,
its loyal users still had hope that one day the site might return.
However, today the chances of that happening appear to have been cut
from an optimistic 50/50 to much, much less. All key Demonoid domains
are now up for sale to the highest bidder, signaling what could be the
start of the end of an era

With an army of passionate fans, Demonoid was spoken about fondly by
many in the torrent community. Just two weeks ago it was one of the
world’s largest and most thriving torrent sites but a DDoS and hacker
attack followed by a police raid brought it to its knees.

After days of silence, last Thursday the IFPI took credit for the
complaint behind the takedown.

“The operation to close Demonoid was a great example of international
cooperation to tackle a service that was facilitating the illegal
distribution of music on a vast scale. I would like to thank all those
officers involved in this operation to close a business that was built
on the abuse of other people’s rights,” said the IFPI’s anti-piracy
director Jeremy Banks.

Last week a source at ColoCall, Demonoid’s former webhost, said he
believed that the site’s management was based in Mexico. It was later
confirmed that a criminal investigation is underway in the country and
that a number of arrests and asset seizures had already taken place.

However, in the middle of all the chaos and arrests TorrentFreak
maintained contact with the site’s technical admin who still has control
of the site’s domains. Due to his presumed position of freedom hope
remained that one day the site would return, but today that seems more
unlikely than ever.

The three key Demonoid domains – Demonoid.me, Demonoid.com and
Demonoid.ph – are now all up for sale on Sedo, a popular domain name and
website marketplace.

Demonoid Sale

Selling the domains now while traffic to Demonoid remains high should
ensure a good price for the vendor, but it seems unlikely that any buyer
would look to relaunch as a torrent site.

Of course, “up for sale” doesn’t mean “sold”, but at this stage hopes
that the site might one day return appear to be dwindling faster than ever.

Later today we hope to obtain a comment from Demonoid on this latest
development and will update this post accordingly.

bg9696bigyell

Aug 12, 2012, 5:36:48 PM8/12/12
I'm not per say defending BT or copying illegally just offering a
comparative to media that have been conceptually. Copied or stolen over the
years. I definitely see both sides and am not a big BT user but occasional.

Neil X.

Aug 13, 2012, 12:00:29 PM8/13/12
BT is fine, if used for legitimate purposes. There is no problem with
the technology, but like many things, it can be used or mis-used. I
don't blame the technology for the fact that some folks choose to use
it to pirate intellectual property. The etree and dimeadozen
communities, for example, self-police and set a good example.

Peace,
Neil X.

yoker

Aug 13, 2012, 1:00:29 PM8/13/12
The last time I used Demonoid was when all the complaints about "Road
Trips, Vol.3, No.4: Penn State - Cornell '80" started surfacing,
something about being slow. I checked Demonoid again and the was the
corrected speed files with front cover artwork. That was probably in
October 2010.