Song lyrics from Diana's funeral

war...@darkwing.uoregon.edu

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

I am trying to find the lyrics to "To Thee I Pledge, My Country" and the
version of "Oh, Danny Boy"/"Londonderry Aire" sung at the Princess of
Wales' funeral. The first was frequently described as a traditional
English patriotic hymm and the tune was familiar, but I think from British
Air or British Tourism commercials run here in the U.S. If anyone also
knows where to find the sheet music to this in the U.S. or by mail from
the U.K. please let me know.

The second song was a brief insert during the homily and consecration, to
the familiar tune of "Oh, Danny Boy" but was identified as "An Aire from
County Derry" and did not have the same lyrics as "Londonderry Aire" which
is a sort of love song. A few of the lines went something like: "Give me
hope, for there is much to suffer; give me stregnth, for there is much to
bear."

If anyone can post the lyrics to these to songs to this newsgroup, and can
give more information on "To Thee I pledge, My Country," it would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean Parlaman
(war...@darkwing.uoregon.edu) (http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~warrior)

(University of Oregon - Department of Asian Studies - Eugene, Oregon)

Coalition Against Prostitution & Child Abuse in Thailand (CAPCAT)
- - - - - http://www.capcat.ksc.net - - - - -

"In the absence of love, there is nothing worth fighting for"
-- actor Elijah Wood, "The War" 1994.

Joe Offer

Sep 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/8/97

Well, I found the alternate lyrics of "Londonderry Air" that were used at
the funeral:

Air from County Derry in G Petrie: The Ancient Music of Ireland (1853)
Howard Arnold Walter.

I would be true, for there are those that trust me
I would be pure, for there are those that care
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer
I would be brave, for there is much to dare

I would be friend of all, the foe, the friendless
I would be giving, and forget the gift
I would be humble, for I know my weakness
I would look up, laugh, love and live

I don't know if those are the complete lyrics or not, but it's a good
start. "Danny boy" and various other lyrics have been used with the tune.

Didn't have any luck with the other hymn, although I believe the tune was
also used in Gustav Holst's "The Planets," and I'm quite sure Holst wrote
the tune. You should take a listen to "The Planets," anyhow. It's one
beautiful piece of music. I didn't catch the whole name of the hymn, but I
think the word "Vow" is used, rhather than "Pledge."
-Joe Offer-

war...@darkwing.uoregon.edu wrote in article
<8737474...@dejanews.com>...

> I am trying to find the lyrics to "To Thee I Pledge, My Country" and the
> version of "Oh, Danny Boy"/"Londonderry Aire" sung at the Princess of
> Wales' funeral.

> The second song was a brief insert during the homily and consecration, to
> the familiar tune of "Oh, Danny Boy" but was identified as "An Aire from
> County Derry" and did not have the same lyrics as "Londonderry Aire"
which
> is a sort of love song. A few of the lines went something like: "Give me
> hope, for there is much to suffer; give me stregnth, for there is much to
> bear."
>
> If anyone can post the lyrics to these to songs to this newsgroup, and
can
> give more information on "To Thee I pledge, My Country," it would be
> greatly appreciated.

Linda Sides

Sep 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/9/97
to ssha...@aol.com

The hymn setting of St. Francis' Prayer didn't sound Rutter-esque to me, but
I checked a listing of his choral works and didn't find anything. I know it
was really early in the morning here, but I was pretty sure that the text was
"Make me a channel" not "Make me an instrument"...

So, after checking the royals' website, and also Westminster Abbey's, where
they've listed every word spoken or sung at the funeral [well, actually the
royals didn't give Earl Spencer's text- go figure] [but yes, they both have
the E.J. text], all they say about this hymn is that it's

St. Francis of Assisi's Prayer. Every other hymn gives composer's name, but
not this one....

Stay tuned,
Linda

Tim Shirley

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97
to Joe Offer

Joe Offer wrote:

> Didn't have any luck with the other hymn, although I believe the tune was
> also used in Gustav Holst's "The Planets," and I'm quite sure Holst wrote
> the tune. You should take a listen to "The Planets," anyhow. It's one
> beautiful piece of music. I didn't catch the whole name of the hymn, but I
> think the word "Vow" is used, rhather than "Pledge."

The first line is "I vow to thee my country", which is the title the
hymn is known by. I don't know the other words, but it is a well known
patriotic hymn in Britain.

The tune was written by Gustav Holst and appears in the Planets
(Jupiter) first performed early this century. The words were written
later I believe. Holst, despite his name, is generally regarded as a
British composer. As you say, the whole Planets suite is good value, but
that tune is one of my all-time favourites.

But is it a folk song?

cheers

tim

Martyn Emerson

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

And Joe Offer <Joe-...@email.msn.com> responded:

>Didn't have any luck with the other hymn, although I believe the tune was
>also used in Gustav Holst's "The Planets," and I'm quite sure Holst wrote
>the tune. You should take a listen to "The Planets," anyhow. It's one
>beautiful piece of music. I didn't catch the whole name of the hymn, but I
>think the word "Vow" is used, rhather than "Pledge."

>-Joe Offer-

Definitely correct. If I remember rightly, the tune is from Jupiter. (I'm
not so enamoured of it as Joe, though, and don't have a copy to check.)

Here's the hymn words:

I Vow To Thee, My Country

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love:
The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
And her ways are ways of gentleness and all her paths are peace.

Music Gustav Holst (1874-1934)
Words Cecil Spring-Rice Thaxted

>Well, I found the alternate lyrics of "Londonderry Air" that were used at
>the funeral:
>
>Air from County Derry in G Petrie: The Ancient Music of Ireland (1853)
>Howard Arnold Walter.
>
> I would be true, for there are those that trust me
> I would be pure, for there are those that care
> I would be strong, for there is much to suffer
> I would be brave, for there is much to dare
>
> I would be friend of all, the foe, the friendless
> I would be giving, and forget the gift
> I would be humble, for I know my weakness
> I would look up, laugh, love and live
>
>I don't know if those are the complete lyrics or not, but it's a good
>start. "Danny boy" and various other lyrics have been used with the tune.

Just thought I'd mention that the Order of Service I have before agrees
with the above on all counts, except that the author is given as Howard
Arnold WINTER, not Walter.

Martyn
Manchester, UK

David Hart

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97
> I am trying to find the lyrics to "To Thee I Pledge, My Country" and the
> version of "Oh, Danny Boy"/"Londonderry Aire" sung at the Princess of
> Wales' funeral.

[CUT]

The complete order of service, with words can be found here:

http://www.pipeline.com/~drgonzo/FAQ/3.htm

David Hart
To reply, remove the XXX from my email address:
dh...@XXXserif.com

Claire&Dan

Sep 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/10/97

You're quite right. No other info given...a bit strange.

Rutter's version is very peaceful. but a bit more classically choral
than what I remember from the funeral. Yet the tune did ring a bell.
(glad something rang at 0230!)

Claire K.

Joe Offer

Sep 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/11/97

Somebody asked about the "Make Me a Channel of Your Peace" translation of
the Prayer of St. Francis, which was used at Princess Diana's funeral.
Translation and tune are by Sebastian Temple, copyrighted by Franciscan
Communications in 1967. It's been a favorite at folk masses for years.
Lyrics & chords are in the "Rise Up Singing" songbook.
-Joe Offer-

Lyrics for all songs for the funeral are on the Westminster Abbey Web site:
http://www.westminster-abbey.org/

but here's a copy of the lyrics, anyhow:

The Prayer of St. Francis, translation & music by Sebastian Temple, 1967

Make me a channel of your peace.
Where there is hatred let me bring your love;
Where there is injury, your pardon, Lord;
And where there's doubt, true faith in you.

Oh, master, grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved, as to love with all my soul.

Make me a Channel of your peace.
Where there's despair in life let me bring hope;
Where there is darkness, only light;
And where there's sadness, ever joy

Oh, master, grant that I may never seek
So much to be consoled as to console;
To be understood as to understand;
To be loved, as to love with all my soul.

Make me a channel of your peace.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
In giving to all men that we receive;
And in dying that we're born to eternal life.

Ross Clark

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Martyn Emerson wrote:

> Here's the hymn words:
>
> I Vow To Thee, My Country
>
> I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,
> Entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love:
> The love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
> That lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
> The love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
> The love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.
>
> And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,
> Most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
> We may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
> Her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
> And soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
> And her ways are ways of gentleness and all her paths are peace.
>
> Music Gustav Holst (1874-1934)
> Words Cecil Spring-Rice Thaxted

Just a tiny correction. The words are a poem by Cecil Spring-Rice
originally called "The Two Fatherlands". "Thaxted" is the name given to
the _tune_ when it was included in "Hymns Ancient and Modern". Thaxted is
a village in Essex where Holst once lived.

Ross Clark

Gary Schroller

Sep 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/12/97

Joe Offer wrote:

> Well, I found the alternate lyrics of "Londonderry Air" that were used at
> the funeral:
>
> Air from County Derry in G Petrie: The Ancient Music of Ireland (1853)
> Howard Arnold Walter.
>
> I would be true, for there are those that trust me
> I would be pure, for there are those that care
> I would be strong, for there is much to suffer
> I would be brave, for there is much to dare
>
> I would be friend of all, the foe, the friendless
> I would be giving, and forget the gift
> I would be humble, for I know my weakness
> I would look up, laugh, love and live
>
> I don't know if those are the complete lyrics or not, but it's a good
> start. "Danny boy" and various other lyrics have been used with the tune.
>

> Didn't have any luck with the other hymn, although I believe the tune was
> also used in Gustav Holst's "The Planets," and I'm quite sure Holst wrote
> the tune. You should take a listen to "The Planets," anyhow. It's one
> beautiful piece of music. I didn't catch the whole name of the hymn, but I
> think the word "Vow" is used, rhather than "Pledge."
> -Joe Offer-
>

> war...@darkwing.uoregon.edu wrote in article
> <8737474...@dejanews.com>...
> > I am trying to find the lyrics to "To Thee I Pledge, My Country" and the
> > version of "Oh, Danny Boy"/"Londonderry Aire" sung at the Princess of
> > Wales' funeral.

> > The second song was a brief insert during the homily and consecration, to
> > the familiar tune of "Oh, Danny Boy" but was identified as "An Aire from
> > County Derry" and did not have the same lyrics as "Londonderry Aire"
> which
> > is a sort of love song. A few of the lines went something like: "Give me
> > hope, for there is much to suffer; give me stregnth, for there is much to
> > bear."
> >
> > If anyone can post the lyrics to these to songs to this newsgroup, and
> can
> > give more information on "To Thee I pledge, My Country," it would be
> > greatly appreciated.

The words Joe Offer gives are the same ones for "Air From County Derry"
printed in theprogram for the funeral of Diana Princess of Wales, as reported
by the Houston Chronicle
of 7 September 1997.

So, if there are more words, it seems they didn't use them in the service.

The following is also from the program, including attributions; the
spelling and punctuation are as they appeared in the Houston Chronicle:

I vow to thee, my country, all earthly things above,

entire and whole and perfect, the service of my love:
the love that asks no question, the love that stands the test,
that lays upon the altar the dearest and the best;
the love that never falters, the love that pays the price,
the love that makes undaunted the final sacrifice.

And there's another country, I've heard of long ago,

most dear to them that love her, most great to them that know;
we may not count her armies, we may not see her King;
her fortress is a faithful heart, her pride is suffering;
and soul by soul and silently her shining bounds increase,
and her ways are ways of gentleness and all her paths are peace.

Thaxted Cecil
Spring-Rice (1859-1918)
Gustov Holst (1874-1934)

Hope this helps.

Richard L. Hess

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

I understand that Polygram and the BBC have come to an agreement and
the funeral service will be issued on CD in a week or so.

Richard

Martyn Emerson

Sep 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/13/97

In article <3419CD...@antnov1.auckland.ac.nz>,
Ross Clark <d...@antnov1.auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

>Martyn Emerson wrote:

(snip)

>> Music Gustav Holst (1874-1934)
>> Words Cecil Spring-Rice Thaxted
>

>Just a tiny correction. The words are a poem by Cecil Spring-Rice
>originally called "The Two Fatherlands". "Thaxted" is the name given to
>the _tune_ when it was included in "Hymns Ancient and Modern". Thaxted is
>a village in Essex where Holst once lived.

Thank you kindly for the correction, sir. I shall henceforth have to
assume that the Daily Telegraph typesetters are just as slipshod as their
notorious counterparts on the Grauniad.

Martyn
UK

Ian Anderson

Sep 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/14/97

war...@darkwing.uoregon.edu wrote:

> I am trying to find the lyrics to "To Thee I Pledge, My Country" and the
> version of "Oh, Danny Boy"/"Londonderry Aire" sung at the Princess of
> Wales' funeral.

Polygram Classics are releasing the entire BBC recording of the funeral
on CD on September 18th. All record company profits to the memorial
fund. According to an ad in today's Observer.

--
Ian Anderson
Folk Roots magazine

Ian Lawther

Sep 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM9/17/97

In article <341C53...@froots.off.demon.co.uk>, Ian Anderson
<fro...@froots.off.demon.co.uk> writes

>Polygram Classics are releasing the entire BBC recording of the funeral
>on CD on September 18th. All record company profits to the memorial
>fund. According to an ad in today's Observer.

I look forward to Colin Irwin's review.

-- /
Ian Lawther http://www.northernlight.demon.co.uk/ian2.htm O///
Faversham, <|o>