New Song: Don't Waste Your Franchise

Gary McGath

Sep 15, 2016, 8:00:00 AM9/15/16
I just had to get this out of my system with a song.

Don't Waste Your Franchise
Lyrics: Gary McGath, Copyright 2016
Music: Tom Paxton, "Don't Slay that Potato"

How can you do it? It's foolish, it's mad,
It's throwing your rights in the trash,
To vote for a person who stands for your views
Instead of someone with more cash?
Have you no decency? Have you no shame?
Dumping your vote in a hole,
Supporting the candidate you think is best
But lags far behind in the poll?

Chorus:
No, don't go wasting your franchise.
Just pick someone who might win.
Don't vote for the Green folks, though you think they're keen folks,
Don't vote Libertarian
And shun Pastafarian.
Don't use up your vote
On someone you'd promote.
That's the worst kind of thing you could do.
No, don't go wasting your franchise
Just 'cause they look better to you!

Think of that Wednesday when you will wake up
And learn that it hung on your vote.
You'll have to regret it the rest of your life.
The whole world will make you the goat.
So what if the chances are higher by far
You'll die on the way to the polls?
The nation is hanging on which one you choose
To set all our national goals.

Chorus

The two-party system's the strength of the land,
So make sure you're good girls and boys,
Pick one or the other, though you hate them both,
For all other choices are noise.
This is a system that can never change.
Line up with a party that's big.
Don't pick a newcomer who's got no chance.
Vote Democrat — or else vote Whig!

Chorus

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Lee Gold XP

Sep 15, 2016, 9:18:19 AM9/15/16
On 9/15/2016 4:59 AM, Gary McGath wrote:
> Vote Democrat — or else vote Whig!

I'm trying to remember -- was there an election in which a Democrat
opposed a Whig?

--Lee

Gary McGath

Sep 15, 2016, 10:20:10 AM9/15/16
That happened in all the presidential elections from 1836 through 1852.

Lee Gold XP

Sep 15, 2016, 10:37:45 AM9/15/16
On 9/15/2016 7:20 AM, Gary McGath wrote:
> On 9/15/16 9:18 AM, Lee Gold XP wrote:
>> On 9/15/2016 4:59 AM, Gary McGath wrote:
>>> Vote Democrat — or else vote Whig!
>>
>> I'm trying to remember -- was there an election in which a Democrat
>> opposed a Whig?
>
> That happened in all the presidential elections from 1836 through 1852.

Thanks.

--Lee

Tim Merrigan

Sep 15, 2016, 1:32:23 PM9/15/16
On Thu, 15 Sep 2016 06:18:17 -0700, Lee Gold XP <lee....@ca.rr.com>
wrote:
There were four Whig prisidents, William Henry Harrison, John Tyler,
Zachery Tayler, and Millard Filmore. Harrison and Tayler died in
office, and presumably ran against Democrats.

Following is a list of Whig candidates for president and VP from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whig_Party_(United_States)

Presidents from the Whig Party

Presidents of the United States, dates in office

William Henry Harrison (1841)
John Tylera (1841–45)
Zachary Taylor (1849–50)
Millard Fillmore (1850–53)

Additionally, John Quincy Adams, elected President as a
Democratic-Republican, later became a National Republican, then a
Anti-Masonic, and then a Whig after he was elected to the House of
Representatives in 1831.

Presidents Abraham Lincoln, Rutherford B. Hayes, Chester A. Arthur,
and Benjamin Harrison were Whigs before switching to the Republican
Party, from which they were elected to office.
Candidates
Election year Result Nominees
President Vice President
1836 Lost Senator Daniel Webster Representative Francis Granger
Lost Former Senator William Henry Harrison
Lost Former Senator John Tyler
Lost Senator Willie Person Manguma[›]
Lost Senator Hugh Lawson White
1840 Won Former Senator William Henry Harrisonb[›]
1844 Lost Former Senator Henry Clay Former Senator
Theodore Frelinghuysen
1848 Won Major General Zachary Taylor b[›] New York State
Comptroller Millard Fillmore
1852 Lost Major General Winfield Scott Navy Secretary William
Alexander Graham
1856 Lost Former President Millard Fillmorec[›] Former
Ambassador Andrew Jackson Donelsonc[›]
1860 Lost Former Senator John Belld[›] Former Senator Edward
Everettd[›]

^ a: Although Mangum himself was a Whig, his electoral votes came
from Nullificationists in South Carolina.
^ b: Died in office.
^ c: Fillmore and Donelson were also candidates on the American
Party ticket.
^ d: Bell and Everett were also candidates on the Constitutional
Union ticket.

and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan

X-Lydia

Sep 16, 2016, 4:50:09 AM9/16/16
OK, I see what you did there. Extra props for mentioning the Whigs.