Sally Childs-Helton Survey -- Filk Community Modes of Interaction

Jeff Urs

Jul 16, 2015, 2:30:58 AM7/16/15
Forwarding a request for Sally...

--
Jeff

Lee Gold XP

Jul 19, 2015, 11:32:55 AM7/19/15
On 7/15/2015 11:30 PM, Jeff Urs wrote:
> Forwarding a request for Sally...
>
> > INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH ON THE FILK COMMUNITY

I noted in my reply that filk (just as the SCA did before) is diverging
from SF fandom to some extent, at least in my experience.

People may also want to reference "found filk" as a phenomenon.
And rec.music.filk and other sources of printed filk rather than just
CDs, and face to face at housefilks and conventions.

--Lee

Arthur T.

Jul 20, 2015, 2:30:06 PM7/20/15
In Message-ID:<mo7j2v$qe7$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Jeff Urs <jeff...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Forwarding a request for Sally...
>
> > INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH ON THE FILK COMMUNITY

From my quotes file:

Every survey is skewed toward people who are willing to participate
in surveys.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Gary McGath

Jul 20, 2015, 8:24:12 PM7/20/15
On 7/20/15 2:29 PM, Arthur T. wrote:
> In Message-ID:<mo7j2v$qe7$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
> Jeff Urs <jeff...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Forwarding a request for Sally...
>>
>>> INVITATION TO PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH ON THE FILK COMMUNITY
>
> From my quotes file:
>
> Every survey is skewed toward people who are willing to participate
> in surveys.

And toward people the survey reaches. Originally Sally posted it just to
Facebook. Since it's largely about online participation, I'm sure the
results would have been much less representative if a bunch of people
hadn't helped her to spread the word to other places. It's still skewed
toward people who are online a lot, and that would be hard to change.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com
Tomorrow's Songs Today: The History of Filk http://www.mcgath.com/tst