New filk: Transit of Mercury

Arthur T.

May 8, 2016, 11:01:49 PM5/8/16
There's a transit of Mercury on May 9. More info at
http://www.eclipsewise.com/oh/tm2016.html

The music changes in some way about half-way through the song,
and I found I was not familiar with it. So, this is to the 1st half
of the song. If I had more time, I might have done something more.

Title: Transit of Mercury
ttto: King of Pain (by Sting)

There's a little black spot on the sun today,
And it's moving 'cross in a reg'lar way.
Telescope and filter is what you need.
Get it all together 'fore you proceed.

If we're lucky the sun shines and there is no rain,
We can stand here and watch it if we've good terrain.
If we miss it you know there will be mental pain,
'Cause there's years in between until it comes again.

There's a little black spot on the sun today,
(Mercury's up there.)
And it's moving 'cross in a reg'lar way.
(Mercury's up there.)
Telescope and filter is what you need.
(Mercury's up there.)
Get it all together 'fore you proceed.
(Mercury's up there.)

The last time it happened, it was years ago,
And since I wasn't ready, had to let it go.
I do not want to miss this one; t'would hurt me so.
Thus I'm warned and prepared so I can watch the show.

Yes, that little black spot will move right along.
(Mercury's up there.)
Though it's moving quite fast, transit is still long.
(Mercury's up there.)
Seven hours or more going side to side.
(Mercury's up there.)
And I've got my cheat-sheet printed out as my guide.
(Mercury's up there.)

In three years there's another if you miss this show.
You can't count on the weather, so do not forgo
This performance of Mercury. We don't outgrow
Watching wonders of nature from our big front row.

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.

X-Lydia

May 10, 2016, 12:47:46 AM5/10/16
Brilliant.