New filk: I.S.S.

Arthur T.

Jun 5, 2016, 5:45:49 PM6/5/16
>From: Lee Gold XP <lee....@ca.rr.com>
>--------
>An interview in the May, 2016 Smithsonian says that the "International
>Space Station goes around the Earth every 92 minutes or so, meaning
>astronauts see nearly 16 sunrises and 16 sunsets every 24 hours." More
>precisely they see 15.652173913 sunrises and sunsets, which is "close
>enough for filk."
> To the tune of "Sixteen Tons": "You see sixteen dawns in one Terran
>day."

I liked what Jim did with your idea, but my mind went to a different
tune.

Title: I.S.S.
ttto: Crystal Singer (by Bill Sutton)
(Note: I.S.S. is pronounced eye ess ess)

A day upon the I.S.S. is sixteen sunsets long,
With sixteen dawns they alternate - we're hurtling along.
We watch the world we orbit spinning silently below,
With light and dark; with land and sea; eternal ebb and flow.

In weightlessness we float above the world that gave us birth,
That beautiful blue marble that we call the planet Earth.
From here we see no borders and no countries and no war.
When we return we're different, somehow, than we were before.

It's not the I.S.S. itself that makes this mental change,
It's seeing the familiar in a way that makes it strange.
Serenity, inclusiveness, holism play their parts.
Should orbiting the Earth be thought of as a healing art?

Our days are full of duties and experiments and work.
We always are together; you might think we'd go berserk.
But when we see a sunrise from our orbiting domain,
Our woes, our stresses, and our cares felicitously wane.

Walking in space, looking at the stars.
Someday we'll break the bonds of Earth and land a man on Mars.
Our destinies seem wider, though our egos shrink.
(I) sometimes see man's destiny as cosmic interlink.

When we return the weightlessness and calm are far, it's true,
But wind and rain and gravity enchant us like they're new.
Our families and friends are here and all that they imply.
Mankind's the answer to the deepest question, which is "Why?"

We astronauts are luckier than all the Earthbound men.
There's rarely one who does not want to orbit Earth again.
We want to see the time when it is not only us few
Who'll get the change of attitude that comes with that grand view.

A day upon the I.S.S. is sixteen sunsets long.
Despite that beauty, here on Earth is where we now belong.
But that may change; space habitats may be a coming thing.
When all men put their minds to it, we can do anything.

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.

Gary McGath

Jun 7, 2016, 12:10:53 PM6/7/16
On 6/5/16 5:45 PM, Arthur T. wrote:

> Title: I.S.S.
> ttto: Crystal Singer (by Bill Sutton)
> (Note: I.S.S. is pronounced eye ess ess)

Now that's a good one!

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Kay Shapero

Jun 8, 2016, 11:37:18 PM6/8/16
In article <o379lbh11be62fq5t...@4ax.com>,
art...@munged.invalid says...

> >From: Lee Gold XP <lee....@ca.rr.com>
> >--------
> >An interview in the May, 2016 Smithsonian says that the "International
> >Space Station goes around the Earth every 92 minutes or so, meaning
> >astronauts see nearly 16 sunrises and 16 sunsets every 24 hours." More
> >precisely they see 15.652173913 sunrises and sunsets, which is "close
> >enough for filk."
> > To the tune of "Sixteen Tons": "You see sixteen dawns in one Terran
> >day."
>
> I liked what Jim did with your idea, but my mind went to a different
> tune.
>
> Title: I.S.S.
> ttto: Crystal Singer (by Bill Sutton)
> (Note: I.S.S. is pronounced eye ess ess)
>
> A day upon the I.S.S. is sixteen sunsets long,
> With sixteen dawns they alternate - we're hurtling along.
> We watch the world we orbit spinning silently below,
> With light and dark; with land and sea; eternal ebb and flow.

Good one!!

--

Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm