Isle of Null

jgou...@panix.com

Jul 16, 2016, 2:19:10 PM7/16/16

When I read this story in the Wall Street Journal...

If You Can't Follow Directions, You'll End Up on Null Island - WSJ
http://www.wsj.com/articles/if-you-cant-follow-directions-youll-end-up-on-null-island-1468422251

...I couldn't resist:

The Republic of Null Island
http://www.nullisland.com/

ISLE OF NULL

To: "Bali Hai" [Richard Rodgers, music, Oscard Hammerstein II, lyrics; from
their musical, "South Pacific", 1949]

Watch "South Pacific-Bali Hai" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/81NROmUb7o0

Watch "Bali Ha'i (In the Style of South Pacific) (Karaoke Version)" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/Za-FiAO0-Io

INTRO

Most people live on a lonely island,
Lost in the middle of a foggy sea.
Some people stumble on another island,
One which is simply a nullity.

VERSE

Isle of Null may call you,
Any night, any day.
On your screen, when things stall, you,
See it there on display.

Isle of Null will whisper,
Of the lure of the nil:
"Here am I, your special island,"
"Come to me when you will."

BRIDGE 1

Your own geo-code,
Your own G-P-S,
May lead to this node,
Of pure vacuousness.

VERSE

If you try, you'll find it,
In a web fantasy.
In its harbor errant data,
Anchor incessantly.

Isle of Null,
Isle of Null,
Isle of Null.

BRDIGE 2

Someday you'll see me,
Caught in this sensation,
My head buried deeply in Pokemon Go.
You'll see me squinting,
Puzzling my location.
I'm somewhere I don't know.

Comme il faut it is not; is it faux?

REFRAIN

If you try, you'll find it,
In a web fantasy.
In its harbor errant data,
Find a berth endlessly.

Isle of Null,
Isle of Null,
Isle of Null!

Gary McGath

Jul 17, 2016, 8:01:22 AM7/17/16
On 7/16/16 2:19 PM, Jim Goulder wrote:
> My head buried deeply in Pokemon Go.

I've been mostly disconnected from the Internet for the past two weeks,
due to moving to a new home and discovering the phone wiring is all
screwed up. In the interim, something called "Pokemon Go" appears to
have taken over the world. I know roughly what Pokemon is and know the
basics of Go, but I still have no clue what the hybrid of the two is.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Arthur T.

Jul 17, 2016, 9:53:48 AM7/17/16
In Message-ID:<nmfs2i$vp3$1...@dont-email.me>,
Gary McGath <ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com> wrote:

>In the interim, something called "Pokemon Go" appears to
>have taken over the world. I know roughly what Pokemon is and know the
>basics of Go, but I still have no clue what the hybrid of the two is.

Obviously, instead of playing a stone, you play a Pokemon. You
can't turn colors unless yours is powerful enough to defeat the
already-played Pokemon.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Mark Mandel

Jul 18, 2016, 1:12:16 PM7/18/16
Nothing to do with the game of Gō, but go as in "on the go". The Pokémon are superimposed on the real world via a form of Google Maps, and they appear superimposed on a real-time view of where you are - I think, of whatever you're aiming your smartphone camera at. It's built on the same foundation as Ingress, which I have been playing for most of the year and in which I am currently at level 11.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Go

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingress_(video_game)

Mark (Resistance Agent Udinth)

Mark Mandel

Jul 18, 2016, 2:08:06 PM7/18/16
In What3words, Null Island's address is prosecuted.amplification.showings

See https://map.what3words.com/prosecuted.amplification.showings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What3words :
What3words (stylized what3words) is a geocoding system for the simple communication of locations with a resolution of 3 m. What3words encodes geographic coordinates into 3 dictionary words (for example, the Statue of Liberty is located at planet.inches.most). What3words is different from other alphanumeric location systems and GPS coordinates in that it displays 3 words rather than long strings of numbers or random letters or numbers. What3words has a website, apps for iOS and Android, as well as an API that enables bidirectional conversion of what3words address and latitude/longitude coordinates.

Rich Brown

Jul 18, 2016, 6:47:30 PM7/18/16
On Mon, 18 Jul 2016 10:12:15 -0700, Mark Mandel wrote:

> The Pokémon
> are superimposed on the real world via a form of Google Maps, and they
> appear superimposed on a real-time view of where you are - I think, of
> whatever you're aiming your smartphone camera at.

Been there, done that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)

...as far as I know. I've only read descriptions of Pokemon Go...

Gary McGath

Jul 18, 2016, 7:53:37 PM7/18/16
On 7/18/16 1:12 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:
> Nothing to do with the game of Gō, but go as in "on the go". The Pokémon are superimposed on the real world via a form of Google Maps, and they appear superimposed on a real-time view of where you are - I think, of whatever you're aiming your smartphone camera at. It's built on the same foundation as Ingress, which I have been playing for most of the year and in which I am currently at level 11.

I thought it might be something like Ingress. Thanks for the confirmation.