New filk: The Coke Brothers (AKA "That Ain't Brotherly Love")

Joel Polowin

Sep 14, 2016, 10:44:11 PM9/14/16
So there's this Coke commercial.

Shows two brothers: a big older brother, and a wimpy younger brother.

We see Big Brother harassing Little Brother in a variety of ways,
including kicking him under the table and doing a "what? I didn't do
anything". Then we see Little Brother being bullied by some
medium-sized kids, who steal his bottle of Coke. At which point Big
Brother shows up, scares away the medium kids, and hands back the
Coke. And when Little Brother starts to drink it, Big Brother jogs it
so it goes all over Little Brother's face. Little brother grins at
him. So grateful!

As Coca-Cola Corp. puts it, quote: "Brotherly Love" captures the unique
relationship between brothers, a universal story of love and conflict.

Or as some people see it: Big Brother is a bully, and *he* is the only
one who gets to bully his Little Brother.

The Coke Brothers (Brotherly That-Ain't-Love)
Lyrics (C) 2016 by Joel Polowin, TTO: "Brotherly Love"

Hey, twerp boy — you're my very fav'rite little play toy
Hey, twerp boy — when I torture you it brings me such joy
Oh, but if someone else attempts to play
I'll show them you belong to only me
I won't leave you alone
Oh bro, I love to see you cry
Oh, but if someone else attempts to play
I'll show them you belong to only me

Arthur T.

Sep 15, 2016, 12:05:17 AM9/15/16
In
Joel Polowin <jpol...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:

>Or as some people see it: Big Brother is a bully, and *he* is the only
>one who gets to bully his Little Brother.
>
>The Coke Brothers (Brotherly That-Ain't-Love)
>Lyrics (C) 2016 by Joel Polowin, TTO: "Brotherly Love"

I don't know the tune. But, given your description of the ad,
your interpretation seems about right.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Mark Mandel

Sep 15, 2016, 11:43:06 AM9/15/16
Reading the title and subtitle right after Gary's filk, I assumed yours was about the Koch (pronounced "Coke"*) brothers.

Mark

* https://reddit.com/r/answers/comments/q413i/how_do_you_pronounce_the_name_koch_as_in_the_koch/

Joel Polowin

Sep 15, 2016, 1:57:22 PM9/15/16
The pun was intentional.

Joel Polowin

Sep 16, 2016, 12:00:16 AM9/16/16
On 2016-09-15 12:05 AM, Arthur T. wrote:
> Joel Polowin <jpol...@hotmail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>>Or as some people see it: Big Brother is a bully, and *he* is the only
>>one who gets to bully his Little Brother.
>>
>>The Coke Brothers (Brotherly That-Ain't-Love)
>>Lyrics (C) 2016 by Joel Polowin, TTO: "Brotherly Love"
>
> I don't know the tune. But, given your description of the ad,
> your interpretation seems about right.

There are several versions of the ad, of varying lengths, trimming
some lines of the song and several of the events. In the longest
version, on YouTube, we have:

* Big Brother shifting Little Brother's baseball cap while Little
Brother is playing a video game, dropping its brim over his eyes

* Little Brother is groping at a high shelf, trying to reach a pair of
headphones; Big Brother moves them to a higher shelf, completely out of
reach

* Both brothers are walking in the rain, with Big Brother carrying an
umbrella; then Big Brother walks quickly ahead, leaving Little Brother
behind, in the rain

* Big Brother kicks Little Brother's leg, under the table, then does a
fake-innocent "what?"

Then the incident with the medium-sized bullies, whom Big Brother
scares away; he returns the bottle to Little Brother, then jogs it
while Little Brother is drinking.

I might be able to consider it as a "just being brothers" relationship
if even *once* we saw Little Brother doing something to pester Big
Brother. But it's 5-0, bully-victim.