I Saw Three Bears (filk)

X-Lydia

Nov 22, 2015, 7:23:03 PM11/22/15
I Saw Three Bears

Lyrics by Susanna R A. Miller
Tune: I Saw Three Ships (traditional Christmas carol)

I saw three bears go traipsing out
To take the air and walk about
And thus avoid a scalded snout
From porridge, hot in the morning.

The cottage where those bears abide
was left with windows open wide
to cool the steaming bowls inside
that lovely woodsy morning.

I saw three bears returning for
their breakfast, now their walk was o'er,
(But why is there an open door?
It was shut when they left it this morning...)

The papa bear said "Bless my soul!
Who's eaten porridge from my bowl?
And Mama's too, though it got cold,
And Baby's bowl's empty this morning!"

"Well look at that," the mama said,
"Who's slept in my, and Papa's, bed?
And what's that curly golden head
On Baby's pillow this morning?"

The blonde invader leapt in fright,
Ran out the door and fled from sight,
And that's her picture, in black and white,
On your carton of milk this morning.

Rich Brown

Nov 26, 2015, 9:00:21 AM11/26/15
Wonderful. Saving this one.
Rich (finally back online after 2 weeks -- thanks to the phone company)

Rich Brown

Nov 29, 2015, 1:18:46 AM11/29/15
Groups of 3 appear in lots of songs and fairy tales. For example:

to: The Ballad of the Three Kings

Three pigs, for fear of the lupus fierce
Built homes to hold him at bay
In hopes his fearsome breath could not pierce
The walls that they built that day.

Each pig a diff'rent material picked
To keep that bad wolf away:
One house made of thatching
One house made of sticks
And one made of hardened clay.

Gary McGath

Nov 29, 2015, 6:55:51 AM11/29/15
That has definite possibilities. Skipping ahead to the last verse:

The wolf fell into the iron pot
And the pigs all gathered round
To vent their wrath on the foe they'd caught
And in boiling water drowned.

The pigs dismembered the vanquished wolf
And each took a prize away:
His fur graced a wall, his head on a stick,
And his bones ground and mixed with clay!

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com
Tomorrow's Songs Today: The History of Filk http://www.mcgath.com/tst

Rich Brown

Nov 29, 2015, 10:27:16 AM11/29/15
On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 06:55:49 -0500, Gary McGath wrote:

> Skipping ahead to the last verse:

Yeah!

Kay Shapero

Dec 2, 2015, 11:00:48 PM12/2/15
In article <n3eovm$2ku$1...@dont-email.me>, ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com
says...

> On 11/29/15 1:16 AM, Rich Brown wrote:
> > Groups of 3 appear in lots of songs and fairy tales. For example:
> >
> > to: The Ballad of the Three Kings
> >
> > Three pigs, for fear of the lupus fierce
> > Built homes to hold him at bay
> > In hopes his fearsome breath could not pierce
> > The walls that they built that day.
> >
> > Each pig a diff'rent material picked
> > To keep that bad wolf away:
> > One house made of thatching
> > One house made of sticks
> > And one made of hardened clay.
>
> That has definite possibilities. Skipping ahead to the last verse:
>
> The wolf fell into the iron pot
> And the pigs all gathered round
> To vent their wrath on the foe they'd caught
> And in boiling water drowned.
>
> The pigs dismembered the vanquished wolf
> And each took a prize away:
> His fur graced a wall, his head on a stick,
> And his bones ground and mixed with clay!

Applause!! This may beat my current favorite parody of Three Kings (the
one about the hotel)

--

Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm