Multiple Indices (Indexes)

Arthur T.

May 8, 2015, 3:45:12 PM5/8/15
I use Word and Open Office. I wanted to separately index my
filks by both title and tune. I did the STFW step, and found other
people who asked how to make multiple alphabetic indices (including
at least one other filker), but no answers other than, "You can't do
that."

It turns out that you can, but it involves hacking the document.
The capability is built in, but there seems to be no interface to let
you use it except by manually typing into the hidden text that's
created for index entries. I'm not sure how to do the work in Open
Office, but it accepts the work I've done in Word. So, what follows
is how to do this in Word.

First, here's approximately what a title and ttto look like in
my document after I've told Word to display hidden text via
Shift-Ctrl-8:

Still Hope {xe "Still Hope"}
ttto: Hope Eyrie {xe "Hope Eyrie" \f t} by Leslie Fish

The first line is a default index entry. For the second line, I
typed "\f t" into the index entry. That marks this index entry as
being type "t" (this can be anything but "i"; "i" is the default).

Then I inserted a second index, and told it to use only type t
index entries. The main index, as mentioned, uses only type i
entries.

Here are bits of the Word help which let me figure this out
(slightly edited):

Field codes: Index field
{ INDEX [Switches ] }
\f "Identifier" - Creates an index using only the specified entry
type. The index generated by { INDEX \f "a" } includes only entries
marked with XE fields such as { XE "Selecting Text" \f "a" }. The
default entry type is "I".

Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field
{ XE "Text " [Switches ] }
\f "Type " Defines an entry type. The entry for the field { XE
"Selecting Text" \f "a" } is included only in an index inserted by
the field { INDEX \f "a" }. The default entry type is "i."

P.S.
If someone figures out how to do the work in Open Office, please
let me know.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Lee Gold XP

May 8, 2015, 3:54:05 PM5/8/15
On 5/8/2015 12:44 PM, Arthur T. wrote:
> I use Word and Open Office. I wanted to separately index my
> filks by both title and tune.

In Word97, you just go to TABLE, Sort.
Of course, you have to put The, A, and An at the end of the line.

Then you do a Column Select and move 2nd column over to the left, and do
it again.
Not very hard.

I don't know if that'll work for the newer and improved (?) versions of
Word.

--Lee

Arthur T.

May 8, 2015, 4:12:48 PM5/8/15
In Message-ID:<mij46r$h9c$1...@dont-email.me>,
I don't understand. If I have an index with intermingled titles
and tune names, how do I separate them to sort them? How did you
generate that table?

Lee Gold XP

May 8, 2015, 7:27:45 PM5/8/15
On 5/8/2015 1:12 PM, Arthur T. wrote:> In
I'm assuming I wrote the table in columns to start with, along the lines of

title Author Melody
Whereabouts
Hope Eyrie Fish, Leslie Hope Eyrie
XXX
You Bash the Balrog Gold, Lee Waltzing Matilda YYY

Any particular reason you chose to have an index with intermingled
titles & tune names?

--Lee

Arthur T.

May 8, 2015, 9:10:15 PM5/8/15
In Message-ID:<mijgnf$ol$1...@dont-email.me>,
Lee Gold XP <lee....@ca.rr.com> wrote:

>On 5/8/2015 1:12 PM, Arthur T. wrote:> In
> > Lee Gold XP <lee....@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > I don't understand. If I have an index with intermingled titles
> > and tune names, how do I separate them to sort them? How did you
> > generate that table?
> >
>I'm assuming I wrote the table in columns to start with, along the lines of
>
>title Author Melody
> Whereabouts
>Hope Eyrie Fish, Leslie Hope Eyrie
> XXX
> You Bash the Balrog Gold, Lee Waltzing Matilda YYY
>
>Any particular reason you chose to have an index with intermingled
>titles & tune names?

Ah! I think we're talking about different things. If I
understand correctly, you created a table by hand, including
hand-typing the page numbers.

I created a Word index, by only marking song titles. Word
automagically created an index of those titles with page numbers, and
it was sorted by title.

I occasionally add new songs other than at the end, and Word
semi-automatically updates all of the page numbers in the index.

I wanted to have the same capability with tune names, without
having to manually put (and then update) page numbers. Nothing in
the Help, and nothing I could find online gave any indication that
this was possible. Open Office would let me create a second index,
but that other index would not be alphabetized.