New song: Don't Stop and Smell the Roses

Arthur T.

Jul 22, 2016, 6:07:24 PM7/22/16
The first chorus for this came to me while I was walking
through the woods. I feel I ought to remind you to look at my
sig.

I'm not sure I ever heard the verses before, so the
scansion might be rockier than usual.

title: Don't Stop and Smell the Roses
ttto: Stop and Smell the Roses (by Mac Davis & Doc Severinsen)

Hey waster, don't you think that you ought to worry?
There is no free lunch for such as we.
The only thing that counts is that you scurry.
Necessities are never free, and so I will decree:

You've got to stop and count your money.
You must account for every dollar every day,
For you know the wait for dinner is a long and hungry one
If you are wasting even pennies along the way.

Before you waste your time with something that's just pretty,
Think what that time is really costing you.
In the city, life is often all too gritty.
Making up that wasted time is what in truth's exhausting you.

You've got to go and make more money.
You mustn't stop for simple pleasures along the way.
Those temptations, they will build with every time that you give
in,
So learn to toughen up; be stronger every day.

Opportunity is worth more than heartsease;
If you lose one you'll not eat tonight.
When you're dreaming you miss chances the upstart sees.
Yes the bible says to work, or your rewards will be so slight.

You've got to stay, and keep on plugging.
Don't nip out to just commune among the trees.
For you know a break will make it hard to concentrate on work.
Only hustling stands 'tween you and poverty.

Don't you stop for mere enjoyment.
Smelling flowers is for sluggards who won't win.
If you're always on the lookout for a chance to make a buck,
You'll never need to worry 'bout what might have been

Only losers smell the roses along the way.

My lyrics copyright 2016 by Arthur Tansky. License granted for
non-commercial, non-political archiving and performance as long as:
1. copyright notice is maintained, and
2. no money changes hands.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Guessing a lyricist's opinions from his songs is as futile as
guessing an author's opinions from his novels.