Old filk: Ignore him

Arthur T.

Dec 4, 2016, 1:09:40 AM12/4/16
Since we're in Xmas carol season, I thought it was appropriate
to post an old filk of mine set to one:

Title: Ignore Him
ttto: Adeste Fideles

This new newsgroup poster
Is bent on destruction
His posts are contentious
His questions divide

Use your killfile
Don't let him derail this thread

So I say to ignore him
It's true we must ignore him
Please say that you'll ignore him
'Cause he's a troll

He questions our tenets
Never flames or curses
But somehow he causes fights
And bad feelings here

You killfile spammers
And you killfile flamers

So I say to ignore him
It's true we must ignore him
Please say that you'll ignore him
Don't feed the trolls

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Spear Carrier

Dec 4, 2016, 3:02:44 AM12/4/16
Kill the trolls with ignore buttons
Fa la la la la la la la la

Gary McGath

Dec 4, 2016, 6:02:09 AM12/4/16
On 12/4/16 1:09 AM, Arthur T. wrote:
> Since we're in Xmas carol season, I thought it was appropriate
> to post an old filk of mine set to one:
>
> Title: Ignore Him
> ttto: Adeste Fideles

Here's another that I wrote a couple of decades ago, when Usenet was lively:

I logged onto alt.music.filk one snowy winter day,
And read the subject titles when I found to my dismay
Some totally off-topic junk cross-posted by sheer fools,
And carrying a subject line declaring "PEARL JAM RULES."

Spamming-oh-no! Spamming-I-O!
Pearl Jammers on the Net!

On twenty different newsgroups they had made their posts appear,
Expressing strong opinions that nobody wants to hear,
Insulting one another for cross-posting everywhere,
But doing the same thing themselves, as if they didn't care.

I wrote them all a message begging each of them to stop,
But all in vain, for in a day there was a brand-new crop,
With each one just as silly as the one that came before.
Why don't these people realize that all they do is bore?

And then I had a vision of the vengeance God has set
For those who think their posts should go on all groups in the Net:
He wouldn't wish them even on the Devil down in Hell;
But they shall spend eternity logged on to AOL!

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Gary McGath

Dec 4, 2016, 7:34:25 AM12/4/16
On 12/4/16 1:09 AM, Arthur T. wrote:

> So I say to ignore him
> It's true we must ignore him
> Please say that you'll ignore him
> Don't feed the trolls

We should keep in mind, though, that "Manload" isn't just a troll but a
criminal who broke into accounts on the UK filk archive. Don't engage
him, but keep track of any threats he makes.

Kay Shapero

Dec 10, 2016, 4:03:18 AM12/10/16
In article <o20t10$l1u$1...@dont-email.me>, ga...@REMOVEmcgathREMOVE.com
says...

> I logged onto alt.music.filk one snowy winter day,
> And read the subject titles when I found to my dismay
> Some totally off-topic junk cross-posted by sheer fools,
> And carrying a subject line declaring "PEARL JAM RULES."
>
> Spamming-oh-no! Spamming-I-O!
> Pearl Jammers on the Net!

I'd forgotten that one. As always, most cool!

Come to think of it, I should probably write a song for the previously
unmoderated* Fidonet COMICS echo came under attack by trolls, conducted
an election for moderator whilst under fire, after which the moderator
made short work of the trolls. A heroic endeavor all the way.

*on FIDO, a moderator does not filter contents, but merely hosts the
party so to speak, calms down the opstreporous, and if necessary can
block the poster from the echo by having the proprietor of the BBS they
post from cut them off, or even cut the entire area from the echo.
--

Kay Shapero
FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm

Spear Carrier

Dec 10, 2016, 10:52:42 AM12/10/16
On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 3:03:18 AM UTC-6, Kay Shapero wrote:

> Come to think of it, I should probably write a song for the previously
> unmoderated* Fidonet COMICS echo came under attack by trolls, conducted
> an election for moderator whilst under fire, after which the moderator
> made short work of the trolls. A heroic endeavor all the way.
>
> *on FIDO, a moderator does not filter contents, but merely hosts the
> party so to speak, calms down the opstreporous, and if necessary can
> block the poster from the echo by having the proprietor of the BBS they
> post from cut them off, or even cut the entire area from the echo.
> --
>
> Kay Shapero
> FAQ at http://www.kayshapero.net/filkfaq.htm
> Address munged, use kay at kayshapero extension as per website.

Chop, chop then! I ain't getting no younger. ;-)
Never heard of this FIDO but am curious how the moderator performed this magical feat.

Kay Shapero

Dec 11, 2016, 4:06:50 AM12/11/16
In article <77d0a913-9bb1-4f58...@googlegroups.com>,
de...@akashikonline.com says...

> Chop, chop then! I ain't getting no younger. ;-)
> Never heard of this FIDO but am curious how the moderator performed this magical feat.

Fidonet is actually still around though I've not been involved in years.
It was and is an amateur Bulletin Board System (BBS) network generally
hosted on private hobbiests' computers; it has the equivalent of
newsgroups called "echoes" because of the way traffic "echoes" around
the system. It's also laid out in a hub and spoke system for
distributing mail, and each BBS has a specific number, from which you
can find their exact "location" in the net. People would log onto their
local BBS, and read mail, discussion groups, download stuff and whatnot.
OK, so if a user of a BBS started bedeviling an echo, you could pinpoint
them and if necessary cut off their feed to said echo. This is the
simple version, if you really WANT the complex one email me.

Gary McGath 2.0

Dec 13, 2016, 7:54:02 AM12/13/16
Honestly Gary.