Song: "Do You Hear the Filkers Sing?"

Gary McGath

Oct 9, 2016, 7:34:32 AM10/9/16
I started out writing something to the tune of "Finlandia," when this
song declared, "No, you're writing ME." The "Finlandia" idea is still open.

The CC license grants permission to use in non-commercial fannish
publications, and I explicitly grant permission to use it in Xenofilkia.

Do You Hear the Filkers Sing?
Lyrics: Gary McGath, Copyright 2016
Music: "Do You Hear the People Sing?" From "Les Miserables"
License:
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/
Dedicated to the committee of Worldcon 75

Do you hear the filkers sing? Singing the song of angry fen.
It is the music of the people who won't touch your con again.
Did you think that fandom would echo the lies you tried to spread?
We will not let you get away with the things you said!

You produced absurd decrees to make sure no work could be done.
Then you hunted for excuses till you could tell us, "Begone!"
Well, you should be happy, we aren't going to be at your con!

Will we join your smear campaign? No, there is not a chance in Hell.
Somewhere beyond your innuendos there's a truth we're going to tell.
Did you think that fandom would echo the lies you tried to spread?
We will not let you get away with the things you said!

We are going to build a fandom where those tactics have no place.
We'll have our disagreements but we'll fairly state our case.
The tactics of bullies and cowards we're going to efface.

Will you say that you've been wrong? Will you propose apology?
Somewhere beyond these fannish wars let's build the con we long to see.
But while you play power games, while there are lies you try to spread,
We will not let you get away with the things you said!

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Gary McGath

Oct 9, 2016, 7:38:01 PM10/9/16
On 10/9/16 7:34 AM, Gary McGath wrote:

A couple of minor changes, to make the scansion more consistent (more
consistent than the original, actually) and avoid a clumsy word repetition:

> We are going to build a fandom where those tactics have no place.
> We'll have our disagreements but we'll fairly state our case.
> The tactics of bullies and cowards we're going to efface.

We are going to build a fandom where those tactics have no place.
We will have our disagreements but we'll fairly state our case.
The methods of bullies and cowards we're going to efface.

Lee Gold XP

Oct 9, 2016, 9:03:53 PM10/9/16
On 10/9/2016 4:37 PM, Gary McGath wrote:
> On 10/9/16 7:34 AM, Gary McGath wrote:
>
> A couple of minor changes, to make the scansion more consistent (more
> consistent than the original, actually) and avoid a clumsy word repetition:

Noted

--Lee