"Downtown Rats"

Jim Goulder

Dec 7, 2017, 11:48:15 PM12/7/17
"Downtown Rats"

DNA Shows New York Has Uptown and Downtown Rats - The Atlantic
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/11/rats-of-new-york/546959/

New York City rat taking pizza home on the subway (Pizza Rat) - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXUG8q4jKU

To: "Downtown" (Petula Clark single) [music and lyrics, Tony Hatch], 1964

Petula Clark Downtown. original version - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx06XNfDvk0

downtown ~ petula clark - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllN8bUJ77c

Petula Clark Karaoke Downtown - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWlBuPFZZL0

VERSE 1

When you're a rat patrolling your habitat,
There is a place you'll roam,
Downtown.

No need to hurry when it's easy to scurry,
Not too far from home,
Downtown.

You're sniffing tempting odors and aromas of the city,
Stealing through the gutter even when the mud is gritty.

How can you lose?

Upon some subway stairwell,
A slice of pizza is lurking with fresh mozzarell'

You are downtown; this is your neighborhood,
Downtown, where you can rear a brood,
Downtown; you're gonna stay for good, now.

Downtown, downtown...

VERSE 2

Once a square-rigger brought your ancestors' vigor,
To a foreign shore,
Downtown.

Foodstuffs unpacking made delectable snacking;
There was always more,
Downtown.

The island of Manhattan was becoming populated;
New arrivals jumped ashore and very soon had mated.

Litters were born.

They multiplied south of Wall,
And their descendants were healthy and fit overall.

Now they're downtown, where subway tunnels go,
Downtown, where city sewers flow,
Downtown, where you can thrive below ground.

Downtown, downtown, downtown, downtown...

[instrumental]

Downtown, downtown...

VERSE 3

Peanut butter, mac'n'cheese, and bacon are delicious.
Raid a KFC or Taco Bell if you're ambitious.

You've got the stuff!

No creature is more widespread,
There is no country on earth where a rat hasn't fled,

But you're downtown,
Where you can colonize,
Downtown,
Strengthen your family ties,
Downtown,
Gorge on some tasty fries, now.

Downtown, downtown, downtown, downtown, downtown, downtown...

[fade out]

Gary McGath

Dec 8, 2017, 5:26:56 AM12/8/17
On 12/7/17 11:48 PM, Jim Goulder wrote:
> "Downtown Rats"

Good to see this newsgroup is still alive, but the uptown rats should
get their own verse:

We're the elite and know the place that we'll meet,
It's the home for us,
Uptown.

When it gets dark north of Central Park,
There's no need to fuss,
Uptown.

Those downtown rats think that they're fancy, Wall Street occupying.
But we have got the better digs, and there is no denying,
We are the best.

Downtown is a life of pain,
So just come up through the tunnels and follow the train,
And come

Uptown, home of the better rats,
Uptown, we all just laugh at cats,
Uptown, great food is waiting for you.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Arthur T.

Dec 8, 2017, 3:26:55 PM12/8/17
In Message-ID:<p0d5ie$99o$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
""Jim Goulder"" <jgou...@panix.com> wrote:

>"Downtown Rats"

Thank you for both the song and the links.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Jim Goulder

Dec 9, 2017, 12:14:43 AM12/9/17
Gary McGath <ga...@removemcgathremove.com> wrote:
:)
New York, New York, a helluva town.
The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down.
The rats they live in a hole in the groun'
New York, New York, it's a rat's sort o' town!

Arthur T.

Dec 9, 2017, 1:26:33 AM12/9/17
In Message-ID:<p0frg2$5np$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
""Jim Goulder"" <jgou...@panix.com> wrote:

> :)
> New York, New York, a helluva town.
> The Bronx is up, but the Battery's down.
> The rats they live in a hole in the groun'
> New York, New York, it's a rat's sort o' town!

New York, New York, a both up and down town.
They build things up, but the trains, they run down.
And the rats, we find, they run all around.
> New York, New York, it's a rat's sort o' town!
;-)

(Yes, the "run down" ambiguity was on purpose.)

X-Lydia

Dec 10, 2017, 6:08:40 PM12/10/17
On Friday, December 8, 2017 at 2:26:56 AM UTC-8, Gary McGath wrote:
> On 12/7/17 11:48 PM, Jim Goulder wrote:
> > "Downtown Rats"
>
> Good to see this newsgroup is still alive, but the uptown rats should
> get their own verse:

Very good...but I'm surprised that no one's done this yet:

(ttto: Billy Joel's "Uptown Girl")

Uptown rats
They've been living in their uptown flats
I bet they've never had some backstreet chow
I bet their momma never told them how
I'm searching now for some uptown rats
They've been living safe from mutts and cats
As long as any rodent's ever been
But now I'm looking for their uptown genes
That's what I mean
And when I take just the ends of their tai-ai-ails
Then I can follow their ancestors' tra-ai-ails
I'll read their DNA
That's the way
I can say that they're uptown rats
That no one's seen in downtown habitats
They stay in areas they call their own
They never migrate through the midtown zone
Now it is known
Uptown rats
My uptown ra-a-ats...

Kay Shapero

Dec 12, 2017, 1:04:04 AM12/12/17
In article <p0d5ie$99o$1...@reader2.panix.com>, jgou...@panix.com says...

> "Downtown Rats"
>

> DNA Shows New York Has Uptown and Downtown Rats - The Atlantic
> https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/11/rats-of-new-york/546959/

Good one!

--

Kay Shapero