Happy new year...

Arthur T.

Jan 1, 2018, 12:04:00 AM1/1/18
I'm wishing all a happy new year (from the East coast). I also hope
that we're all still here on RMF to greet 2019.

And meanwhile, bring your brass monkeys inside.

--
Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" pobox "dot" com

Gary McGath

Jan 1, 2018, 6:13:08 AM1/1/18
On 1/1/18 12:04 AM, Arthur T. wrote:
> I'm wishing all a happy new year (from the East coast). I also hope
> that we're all still here on RMF to greet 2019.

Happy New Year to all!

> And meanwhile, bring your brass monkeys inside.

It's -3 degrees F here (southeastern New Hampshire) and predicted to
drop to -9 in the next hour. And there's no running water here since
yesterday afternoon.

"Water, water, water! Can we have a pitcher, please?
Water, water, water! If we beg you on our knees."

(From "Filkers' Little Concert," which I wrote some time in the early 90s.)

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com

Lee Gold XP

Jan 1, 2018, 9:04:23 AM1/1/18
On 12/31/2017 9:04 PM, Arthur T. wrote:
> I'm wishing all a happy new year (from the East coast). I also hope
> that we're all still here on RMF to greet 2019.
>
> And meanwhile, bring your brass monkeys inside.

Happy New Year (from Rose Parade Land) to all.

Our home (in Los Angeles, a couple of miles from the Pacific Ocean. near
Kay Shapero's) is probably going to be getting highs in the mid-60s,
lows in the mid-50s or high 40s.

Please send us any rain clouds you don't want. So far we've had 0.12"
of rain since October 1st, the start of our Wet Season -- and our Fire
Season is still going on because the Santa Ana winds (warm or hot, dry,
fire dangers) are still blowing. I wrote a rather nasty song about them
once -- with a hidden pun, because it was to the tune of "Santy Ana."

--Lee

TIME TO RIDE, SANTA ANA
by Lee Gold
to the tune of "Plains of Mexico" aka "Santy Ana"
"Santa Ana winds may get their name from the Santa Ana Mountains in
Orange County, the Santa Ana River or Santa Ana Canyon, along which the
winds are particularly strong. There are also claims that the origi-nal
form is Santana winds, from the Spanish vientos de Satán ('winds of
Satan') Sanatanas being a rarer form of Satanás." (Wikipedia)

Demons dance in the mountain sky
Time to ride, Santa Ana
The Great Basin desert is two miles high
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Optional Chorus
So ride a high wind to the sea
Time to ride, Santa Ana.
Race downhill, running hot and free
So it's hold on fast, and away we go.

Demons howl through the mountain pass
Time to ride, Santa Ana
And whip the wind into a blast.
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Demons shred the smog to blue
Time to ride, Santa Ana
Pollen and mold and dirt blow through
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Chorus?

Demons look for a spark to get
Time to ride, Santa Ana
High tension wire or cigarette
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Demons laugh at the chaparral's fate.
Time to ride, Santa Ana
Its seeds need fire to germinate.
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Chorus?

Demons scream as the towns grow near
Time to ride, Santa Ana
And feed on the flames and the growing fear
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Demons howl as the houses die
Time to ride, Santa Ana
Embers blowing through the sky.
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Chorus?

(slow and quiet)

Demons drowse as the wind dies down
Time to sleep Santa Ana
And plunge in the sea, where their fires drown
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Demons crawl home to touch the sky
Time to ride, Santa Ana
(faster and louder)
The Great Basin desert is two miles high
So it's hold on fast, and away we go

Chorus?

Rafe Culpin

Jan 1, 2018, 9:10:34 AM1/1/18
In article <852j4d5bfdijvi16r...@4ax.com>, art...@munged.invalid
(Arthur T.) wrote:

> And meanwhile, bring your brass monkeys inside.

The BBC were reporting that it was expected to be unseasonably cold in New York for
the traditional Ball Drop, and I did wonder whether they'd asked a brass monkey to
officiate this year.

--
To reply email rafe, at the address filk co uk
Information on filk in the UK: http://filk.co.uk/

Lee Gold XP

Jan 1, 2018, 9:24:07 AM1/1/18
On 1/1/2018 6:10 AM, Rafe Culpin wrote:
> In article <852j4d5bfdijvi16r...@4ax.com>, art...@munged.invalid
> (Arthur T.) wrote:
>
>> And meanwhile, bring your brass monkeys inside.
>
> The BBC were reporting that it was expected to be unseasonably cold in New York for
> the traditional Ball Drop, and I did wonder whether they'd asked a brass monkey to
> officiate this year.

They apparently double-checked the crystal ball to make sure it wouldn't
crack or shatter on what was probably going to be the 2nd Coldest Night
in Recorded History.

Apparently none of the interviewers out there dared look for or wear a
balaclava.
Has nobody tried making a transparent nylon one for would-be photogenic
folks?

--Lee

Gary McGath

Jan 1, 2018, 6:34:53 PM1/1/18
On 1/1/18 9:24 AM, Lee Gold XP wrote:

> Apparently none of the interviewers out there dared look for or wear a
> balaclava.
> Has nobody tried making a transparent nylon one for would-be photogenic
> folks?

Since it would let light through, its makers could say it's designed for
the "Light Brigade."

X-Lydia

Jan 7, 2018, 7:09:50 PM1/7/18

> TIME TO RIDE, SANTA ANA
> by Lee Gold
> to the tune of "Plains of Mexico" aka "Santy Ana"
> "Santa Ana winds may get their name from the Santa Ana Mountains in
> Orange County, the Santa Ana River or Santa Ana Canyon, along which the
> winds are particularly strong. There are also claims that the origi-nal
> form is Santana winds, from the Spanish vientos de Satán ('winds of
> Satan') Sanatanas being a rarer form of Satanás." (Wikipedia)
>

> Demons dance in the mountain sky
> Time to ride, Santa Ana
> The Great Basin desert is two miles high
> So it's hold on fast, and away we go
>
> Optional Chorus
> So ride a high wind to the sea
> Time to ride, Santa Ana.
> Race downhill, running hot and free
> So it's hold on fast, and away we go.

This is brilliant. Why haven't I heard it before?

Lee Gold XP

Jan 8, 2018, 12:14:51 AM1/8/18
Thanks. I'm fond of it too.

It got sung at ConChord 21 (2008) and was in that year's songbook.
It also appeared in FILKER UP #6 (the series where I put my better songs).
We sing it now and then, sometimes at concerts, usually prefaced by
explaining
that we're not really trying to invoke demons.

I also wrote a song that brings rain sometimes
to the tune of Kathy Mar's "Drink up the River"
but we're a little careful about it because it can
sometimes bring a bit too much rain.
"Filk up the River" -- in Xeno #2
not as good as the Santa Ana song

--Lee

Lee Gold XP

Jan 8, 2018, 12:17:51 AM1/8/18
On 1/7/2018 9:14 PM, Lee Gold XP wrote:
> "Filk up the River" -- in Xeno #2
> not as good as the Santa Ana song

FILK UP THE RIVER
by Lee Gold (written a few days before NOLACON in New Orleans)
to the tune of "Drink up the River" by Kathy Mar

I was sitting at a Circle with a bunch of crazy fen.
We sang "Banned from Ever Reading Eye of Argon Once Again."
We sang "Greensleeves on the Death Star"; we sang "Werewolves on the Moon",
And we sang all of the words we knew to Kathy Mar's sweet tune.
We started with the river of humanity and tech;
Then went on to the Riverworld and Richard Burton's trek.
And I've got some more verses with the self-same paradigm,
So let's filk up the River -- one more time.
We're going to filk up the River, we're going to filk up the River
We're going to filk up the River -- one more time. (repeat)

Now I live in California, in a city called L.A.
When it isn't rainy season, there is sunshine every day.
And the only river in it usually won't wet your feet,
But it keeps its shape because the city paved it with concrete.
So the summer hills are golden with dead brush and tumbleweed,
And when they catch on fire, they blaze very hot indeed,
But even in the summer heat, our lawns do not turn brown,
'Cause we pipe in our water, then drink it down.
We've got to pipe in our water, got to pipe in our water.
L.A. pipes in a River, then drinks it down. (repeat)

But when it's rainy season, then the hillsides turn to mud,
And the concrete L.A. River suddenly is all a-flood,
And every year some teenager thinks what fun it would be
To go surf the L.A. River until he has reached the sea.
There rarely is a rescue by the paramedic men;
Think of it as evolution, in action once again.
So don't you follow lit'rally what Kathy Mar has said,
'Cause you won't drink up the River; you'll drown instead.
No, you won't drink up the River; you can't drink up a river.
No, you won't drink up the River; you'll drown instead. (repeat)

Then there's the Mississippi, which needs another verse,
'Cause if the L.A. River's strange, the Mississippi's worse.
Geographers have mapped it --and drawn lines for its shores,
But it isn't quite housebroken, so it sometimes goes indoors.
And when the storm clouds gather, and the rain pours from the sky,
And the Mississippi's waters start getting very high,
Don't tell your friends you'll drink it; they'll just call you a clown.
You've got to sandbag the River till it goes down.
You've got to sandbag the River; you've got to sandbag the River.
You've got to sandbag the River till it goes down. (repeat)

Gary McGath

Jan 8, 2018, 6:46:02 AM1/8/18
On 1/8/18 12:17 AM, Lee Gold XP wrote:
> On 1/7/2018 9:14 PM, Lee Gold XP wrote:
>> "Filk up the River" -- in Xeno #2
>> not as good as the Santa Ana song
>
> FILK UP THE RIVER
> by Lee Gold (written a few days before NOLACON in New Orleans)
> to the tune of "Drink up the River" by Kathy Mar

I like that! Snagged to my files.

Lee Gold XP

Jan 8, 2018, 7:19:00 AM1/8/18
On 1/8/2018 3:46 AM, Gary McGath wrote:
> On 1/8/18 12:17 AM, Lee Gold XP wrote:
>> On 1/7/2018 9:14 PM, Lee Gold XP wrote:
>>> "Filk up the River" -- in Xeno #2
>>> not as good as the Santa Ana song
>>
>> FILK UP THE RIVER
>> by Lee Gold (written a few days before NOLACON in New Orleans)
>> to the tune of "Drink up the River" by Kathy Mar
>
> I like that! Snagged to my files.

Everyone who has some but not ALL of the issues of Xenofilkia should note
that I'm happy to provide ToCs of the rest of them.
They ofte have very nice songs.
They're all still available -- for a mere $1.50 by email.

Everyone who doesn't have the FILKER UPs should note that they're
all still available for a mere $3 by email.
I think they've got my best songs.
http://www.conchord.org/xeno/ix.filkerup.html

--Lee