Song: Night Terror

Gary McGath

Jun 25, 2015, 7:06:20 AM6/25/15
This is more a confession than a viable song. I sang it at ConCertino,
to the tune of Cat Faber's "Bin There, Dun That."

Night Terror
Copyright 2015, Gary McGath
Tune: Anything that fits ballad meter

I woke up to an odd noise in the middle of the night.
It was too massive for the cats, and I was full of fright.
I saw a figure standing though no one should have been there,
Darkly outlined, dimly lighted as I sat up half aware.

I rose to face the trespasser and gave a mighty shout:
"You are a thief within my home! Begone, you wretch! Get out!"
The other one retreated and I rose up to pursue,
Then looked to find a weapon, any heavy thing would do.

But as I turned to look around the bedroom I know well,
I realized I was not at home, but in the con hotel.
My roommate kept his distance as I fell back feeling dumb,
And I then resolved to write this song as penance yet to come.

Perhaps there is a hopeful side in how my folly went,
Although it seems to offer little but embarrassment.
At least I know that if a real thief shows up in my house,
I'll jump up and I'll face him and won't cower like a mouse.

--
Gary McGath http://www.mcgath.com
Tomorrow's Songs Today: The History of Filk http://www.mcgath.com/tst