Can you see a melody here?

Lee Gold XP

Apr 4, 2018, 8:54:08 AM4/4/18
I got this song from Astrid Anderson who didn't mention a melody for it.
Here's the first two verses.
Can anyone see a melody lurking there?

--Lee

PATRIARCHS of SCIENCE
by Piet Hein (16 December 1905 – 17 April 1996) was a Danish
mathematician, inventor, designer, author, and poet
Astrid Anderson says, "The bulk of this poem was translated from Piet
Hein's Danish by Poul Anderson and refined by both Poul and Karen Anderson."

Patriarchs of Science
On whom we place reliance,
Take your beaker in your hand
Drink their spirits as you stand
Patriarchs of Science.

Thales makes us sit up,
His name is really lit up;
He saw Truth in wine, and faced her—
All the world's a water chaser;
Thales makes us sit up.

Rafe Culpin

Apr 4, 2018, 1:54:05 PM4/4/18
In article <pa2hte$na2$1...@dont-email.me>, lee....@ca.rr.com (Lee Gold XP) wrote:

> I got this song from Astrid Anderson who didn't mention a melody for
> it.
> Here's the first two verses.
> Can anyone see a melody lurking there?

I asked Karl-Johan Norén, he says:

--
To reply email rafe, at the address filk co uk
Information on filk in the UK: http://filk.co.uk/

Tim Merrigan

Apr 4, 2018, 2:00:09 PM4/4/18
On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 05:54:07 -0700, Lee Gold XP <lee....@ca.rr.com>
wrote:
At a guess, anything that sets limericks to music.

and to the republic which it established, one nation, from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.
Feel free to use the above variant pledge in your own postings.

Tim Merrigan

Lee Gold XP

Apr 4, 2018, 2:04:24 PM4/4/18
On 4/4/2018 10:54 AM, Rafe Culpin wrote:
> In article <pa2hte$na2$1...@dont-email.me>, lee....@ca.rr.com (Lee Gold XP) wrote:
>
>> I got this song from Astrid Anderson who didn't mention a melody for
>> it.
>> Here's the first two verses.
>> Can anyone see a melody lurking there?
>
> I asked Karl-Johan Norén, he says:
>
>> I doubt they were meant to be sung originally - they seem be of Piet
>> Hein's signature style of poems, the gruk

No, grux or grooks typically only have four lines, not five.

“Losing one glove is certainly painful,
but nothing compared to the pain,
of losing one, throwing away the other,
and finding the first one again.”

The repeated last line was added here for some reason.
And Astrid said the verses were sung.

--Lee

Rafe Culpin

Apr 4, 2018, 2:21:22 PM4/4/18
In article <memo.2018040...@rafecupl.merula.co.uk>,
nos...@see.sig.to.reply (Rafe Culpin) wrote:

> > I got this song from Astrid Anderson who didn't mention a melody
> > for it.
> > Here's the first two verses.
> > Can anyone see a melody lurking there?
>
> I asked Karl-Johan Norén, he says:
>
> > I doubt they were meant to be sung originally - they seem be of Piet
> > Hein's signature style of poems, the gruk

He's now tracked it down.
The tune is used for two songs, Sov, mit barn, sov længe & Lær mig nattens stjerne.

Youtube of the tune:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAU-u_iTNzI

And it's #258 in the following PDF
http://img.kb.dk/ma/dmb/I-250a.pdf

Paul Rubin

Apr 4, 2018, 3:04:54 PM4/4/18
Lee Gold XP <lee....@ca.rr.com> writes:
> No, grux or grooks typically only have four lines, not five.

Grooks came in all sorts of sizes and shapes. There were several books
of them and they were great, well worth looking for. Originally each
grook was accompanied by a drawing, though the words are
better-remembered now.

Here are a bunch of them, though with only a few of the drawings:

http://www.sophilos.net/GrooksofPietHein.htm

Lee Gold XP

Apr 4, 2018, 7:51:13 PM4/4/18
On 4/4/2018 11:21 AM, Rafe Culpin wrote:
> In article <memo.2018040...@rafecupl.merula.co.uk>,
> nos...@see.sig.to.reply (Rafe Culpin) wrote:
>

>>> I got this song from Astrid Anderson who didn't mention a melody
>>> for it.
>>> Here's the first two verses.
>>> Can anyone see a melody lurking there?
>>
>> I asked Karl-Johan Norén, he says:
>>
>>> I doubt they were meant to be sung originally - they seem be of Piet
>>> Hein's signature style of poems, the gruk
>
> He's now tracked it down.
> The tune is used for two songs, Sov, mit barn, sov længe & Lær mig nattens stjerne.
>
> Youtube of the tune:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAU-u_iTNzI
>
> And it's #258 in the following PDF
> http://img.kb.dk/ma/dmb/I-250a.pdf