Dylan Christmas Album?

M. Rick

Dec 7, 2008, 8:41:30 AM12/7/08
Is it true that back in the 60s Dylan intended to release a Christmas album?
I know there's a bootleg out called "Humbug Blues." From what I've heard --
a brilliant blend of Dickens and the delta.

moonpeeler

Dec 7, 2008, 10:23:39 AM12/7/08
HOAX.

jbu...@yahoo.com

Dec 7, 2008, 10:56:38 AM12/7/08

Good Christmas album = a contradiction in terms
Bad Christmas album = redundant

crazytimes

Dec 7, 2008, 11:29:14 AM12/7/08
On Dec 7, 8:41 am, "M. Rick" <richardbla...@paris.com> wrote:
> Is it true that back in the 60sDylanintended to release aChristmas album?

> I know there's a bootleg out called "Humbug Blues." From what I've heard --
> a brilliant blend of Dickens and the delta.

You mean 'Snow Over Interstate 80'?... For some reason, Dylan and
Sony won't release it... It might be against Dylan's religion... Or
his religion might be against him... or he might be against his
religion or something... It's very confusing...

Here are the background threads on it...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.dylan/browse_frm/thread/989112306695211d/ea1996ed46ad6652?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=%22christmas+album%22+dylan#ea1996ed46ad6652

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.dylan/browse_frm/thread/c6be994379bee344/c317e90ff5f4457d?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=DYLAN+-+the+missing+Christmas+album++stacy#c317e90ff5f4457d

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.dylan/browse_frm/thread/314b995a678c5939/59c6cb83713367d9?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=%22christmas+album%22+dylan#59c6cb83713367d9

Babs

Dec 7, 2008, 12:28:29 PM12/7/08

I love Christmas albums -- from traditional to punk/reggae. I collect
them and make my own mixed-up compilations. I also fill up discs with
mp3s that I play in the dvd player. I have about 80 hours worth of
Christmas music on those alone. I like the "talking" Christmas albums
too. This year I found a Dragnet Christmas story and an album with
readings by Ogden Nash. And who can ever forget Bob's reading of "The
Night Before Christmas"?

M. Rick

Dec 7, 2008, 1:16:57 PM12/7/08
> Bad Christmas album = redundant

There's a song about lousy Christmas albums on Humbug Blues. And an awful
song it is.

khematite

Dec 7, 2008, 1:31:08 PM12/7/08
On Dec 7, 11:29 am, crazytimes <crazytime...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Dec 7, 8:41 am, "M. Rick" <richardbla...@paris.com> wrote:
>
> > Is it true that back in the 60sDylanintended to release aChristmas album?
> > I know there's a bootleg out called "Humbug Blues." From what I've heard --
> > a brilliant blend of Dickens and the delta.
>
> You mean 'Snow Over Interstate 80'?... For some reason, Dylan and
> Sony won't release it... It might be against Dylan's religion... Or
> his religion might be against him... or he might be against his
> religion or something... It's very confusing...
>
> Here are the background threads on it...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.dylan/browse_frm/thread/9891...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.dylan/browse_frm/thread/c6be...
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.dylan/browse_frm/thread/314b...

Fortunately, however, the single of "White Christmas" (credited to Bob
& The Dylantones--not the earlier "Bobby the Poet" version from Cameo-
Parkway) did get released accidentally in 1984. Flip side was Bob
doing "Tracks of My Tears." Happily, you can download both sides at:

http://www.divshare.com/download/215759-c1b

Babs

Dec 7, 2008, 2:22:30 PM12/7/08

Thanks for these. Some of these mock-Dylans can be fun -- like Bob &
The Dylantones. And now I have one more Christmas song for my
collection! To make the afternoon complete, I will now watch the movie
"Waking The Dead", with Billy Crudup and Jennifer Connelly, for about
the 50th time. I kinda like it.

jbu...@yahoo.com

Dec 7, 2008, 5:02:59 PM12/7/08

As far as liking Xmas music, to each his own. I get more than enough
in every store I walk into between Halloween and 12/25; I certainly
don't need to hear it at home or in the car. And Bob's reading of
'TNBC' is interesting if only for the curiosity value. i wouldn't call
it a Xmas song, though.

Bride of Hysterical Jumbo

Dec 7, 2008, 5:31:26 PM12/7/08

Yeah but some Xmas songs--like most of the ones Bob plays on his Xmas
TTRH--you don't hear in shops, or anywhere. Like the Beatnik Christmas
number he played. And Santa Got a Brand New Bag by a young Bob Segar.
Great stuff.

jbu...@yahoo.com

Dec 7, 2008, 6:39:25 PM12/7/08
On Dec 7, 5:31 pm, Bride of Hysterical Jumbo <ch...@cupolagallery.com>
> Great stuff.- Hide quoted text -

NEVERtheless :) despite your positive opinion, I don't have the need
to hear any more Xmas music than I already do. With the possible
exception of the Singing Dogs doing 'Jingle Bells'.

Babs

Dec 7, 2008, 8:05:34 PM12/7/08
wrote:

> Yeah but some Xmas songs--like most of the ones Bob plays on his Xmas
> TTRH--you don't hear in shops, or anywhere. Like the Beatnik Christmas
> number he played. And Santa Got a Brand New Bag by a young Bob Segar.
> Great stuff.

There's some amusing stuff out there. One of my favorites is

I Farted on Santa's Lap (Now Christmas Is Gonna Stink For Me) -- The
Little Stinkers

The Beat songs/readings I like are:

The Junky's Christmas -- William S. Burroughs
Beatnik's Wish -- Patsy Raye & The Beatniks

Of the traditional non-religious ones, my favorite is Jimmy Durante
singing Frosty The Snowman

And I haven't tired yet of :

Fairytale of New York -- the Pogues

PS I don't like the Christmas music in the stores either, jbuck. I
don't like any music forced on me in that annoying manner.

rwalker

Dec 7, 2008, 10:56:29 PM12/7/08
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:39:25 -0800 (PST), jbu...@yahoo.com wrote:

>On Dec 7, 5:31 pm, Bride of Hysterical Jumbo <ch...@cupolagallery.com>
>wrote:
>> On Dec 7, 10:02 pm, jbuc...@yahoo.com wrote:

snip

>NEVERtheless :) despite your positive opinion, I don't have the need
>to hear any more Xmas music than I already do. With the possible
>exception of the Singing Dogs doing 'Jingle Bells'.

I'm with you. I've reached the point that I wish Christmas were
relegated back to being just a religious holiday, and leave the
secular world completely out of it.

So call me a Scrooge.

President_dudley

Dec 7, 2008, 11:39:01 PM12/7/08
hello brethren & sistren,

First off i'd like to commend us all on the civility of tone in a
thread that cd've got nasty.

Second, i'd like to commend Right Worshipful Brother crazytimes for
doing our homework which calls on past threads to deBunk the "bob
christmas record" issue.

Third, i'd like to concur with Reverend Bro jbuck that most Xmas
albums suck, tho' i'd defy any of us to trashBin the Spector-calibre
sideArm album, and i do hold a few other recordings close to heart but
that falls into personal preference territory.

Fourth, i'd like to concur with Most Highly Esteemed Sister Babs that
we can inDeed compile our own "seasons greebings" collections
according to our either faith or desire, whichEver comes first.

Hence, here's a coupleFew not everyOne might have in their collection:

Loudon Wainwright III, Suddenly It's Christmas (3.29MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/awbza1

Robert Earl Keene, Merry Christmas from the Family (5.59MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/slf0qv

Barking Dogs, Jingle Bells (2.36MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9e87ua

John & Yoyo, the EP "Imagine Peace 'War Is Over' Message" (13.86MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fmou3o

Brooooce, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) 07dec03 (6.06MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fu0fca

Darlene Love, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (3.93MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/glun7u

Steve Earle, Christmas in Washington live (10MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/q8qlx3

Joan Baez & Steve Earle, live 2004, Christmas in Washington (6.44MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vg6nwk

Joan Baez, O Come, O Come Emmanuel (4.22MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3tniiv

Odetta, What Month Was Jesus Born In (2.84MB):
http://www.sendspace.com/file/hw49ef

Lemme know if there are any difficulties with these links.

I happen also to like the big huge "Do They Know It's Christmas"
thingie, but won't post it hear unless requested. And also i have
video of some of the above, if u want it.

That said finally...

My ma at christmas useta make a lotta "cookies"; one of 'em required a
special tin for baking, like a muffin tin but in miniature. Into which
she pressed a pastry shell, and filled it with a walnut mixture.

She does not recall what those were called. I'd appreciate help from
anyOne 'round hear.

She does not think they were Pfeffernüsse.

Cookily yrs, & sincerely best to you & yrs,
dudley

Babs

Dec 8, 2008, 1:04:46 AM12/8/08
On Dec 7, 11:39 pm, President_dudley <dud...@cloud9.net> wrote:
> hello brethren & sistren,

Hello dudley, You managed to find a few I didn't have. Many thanks. If
you (or anyone else) are interested in anything from these Christmas
albums, I'd be happy to oblige.

Christmas – The Clancy Brothers
Christmas Carols – Marion Anderson
A Christmas Gift For You From Phil Spector – Various
Christmas In My Home Town – Charley Pride
Christmas Peace – Elvis Presley
Reggae Christmas – Various
Christmas English Songs in Ukranian – Mickey & Bunny
This Christmas – Aretha Franklin
White Christmas – Various
Yingle Bells – Yogi Yorgesson
Celtic Christmas – Various
The Magic of Christmas – Natalie Cole
All Star Christmas – Various
Christmas – Saint Etienne
Christmas Carols – Phil Spitalny & The Hour of Charm
Country Christmas Classics – Various
Dig That Crazy Christmas – Brian Seltzer Orchestra
I Wanna Be Santa Claus – Ringo Star
A 1940s Christmas – Various
A 1950s Christmas – Various
A Broadway Christmas – Various
Big Band Christmas (Wayne King, Guy Lombardo, Fred Waring)
A Renaissance Christmas (Allegretto)
Christmas Gonzo Style – Jerry Jeff Walker
The Russian State Chorus Celebrates Christmas
Christmas At St. Thomas, New York
Christmas With Rosemary Clooney
Christmas At The Biltmore Estate – Judy Collins
David T. Clydesdale Presents The Sound Of Christmas
Let It Snow! A Vintage Rock Holiday Collection by Eddie Bauer
Nouvelle Noel – Bruce Malament
‘Tis The Season: Christmas Harp – Bruce Kurnow

Babs

Dec 8, 2008, 1:20:15 AM12/8/08
On Dec 7, 11:39 pm, President_dudley <dud...@cloud9.net> wrote:

> My ma at christmas useta make a lotta "cookies"; one of 'em required a
> special tin for baking, like a muffin tin but in miniature. Into which
> she pressed a pastry shell, and filled it with a walnut mixture.
>
> She does not recall what those were called. I'd appreciate help from
> anyOne 'round hear.
>
> She does not think they were Pfeffernüsse.
>
> Cookily yrs, & sincerely best to you & yrs,
> dudley

Were they Kifli?

Just Walkin'

Dec 8, 2008, 4:03:09 PM12/8/08
On Dec 7, 10:39 pm, President_dudley <dud...@cloud9.net> wrote:
> hello brethren & sistren,

And greetings to you past master dudley.

> First off i'd like to commend us all on the civility of tone in a
> thread that cd've got nasty.

How sweet it is to dwell in such brother and sisterhood...

> Second, i'd like to commend Right Worshipful Brother crazytimes for
> doing our homework which calls on past threads to deBunk the "bob
> christmas record" issue.

Debunk (but keep the rollaway...in case the kids come for a visit.)

> Third, i'd like to concur with Reverend Bro jbuck that most Xmas
> albums suck, tho' i'd defy any of us to trashBin the Spector-calibre
> sideArm album, and i do hold a few other recordings close to heart but
> that falls into personal preference territory.

I dunno PM dudley. Sure as the north remains dark, so too is the
Charlie Brown Christmas Album worthy of any tree it may fall under.
You know who I am talking about: He's the Merry Christmas Baby guy on
keys (not the hapless cartoon character that confuses the kids all the
time...)

Also equally inner-resting is the Alligator Records X-mas compilation.
Lots of sardonics chasin' down those harmonics on that one too...

> Fourth, i'd like to concur with Most Highly Esteemed Sister Babs that
> we can inDeed compile our own "seasons greebings" collections
> according to our either faith or desire, whichEver comes first.

Or mournings, if, as is the case in these parts, we have "seasons
grievings" to go with all them greebings...

> Hence, here's a coupleFew not everyOne might have in their collection:
>
> Loudon Wainwright III, Suddenly It's Christmas (3.29MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/awbza1
>
> Robert Earl Keene, Merry Christmas from the Family (5.59MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/slf0qv
>
> Barking Dogs, Jingle Bells (2.36MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/9e87ua
>
> John & Yoyo, the EP "Imagine Peace 'War Is Over' Message" (13.86MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/fmou3o
>
> Brooooce, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) 07dec03 (6.06MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/fu0fca
>
> Darlene Love, Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (3.93MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/glun7u
>
> Steve Earle, Christmas in Washington live (10MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/q8qlx3
>
> Joan Baez & Steve Earle, live 2004, Christmas in Washington (6.44MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/vg6nwk
>
> Joan Baez, O Come, O Come Emmanuel (4.22MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/3tniiv
>
> Odetta, What Month Was Jesus Born In (2.84MB):http://www.sendspace.com/file/hw49ef

I'm a -thinkin' that you forgot that one by that Davies fellow and his
brother and their friends, Father Christmas. Or maybe not.

> Lemme know if there are any difficulties with these links.
>
> I happen also to like the big huge "Do They Know It's Christmas"
> thingie, but won't post it hear unless requested. And also i have
> video of some of the above, if u want it.
>
> That said finally...
>
> My ma at christmas useta make a lotta "cookies"; one of 'em required a
> special tin for baking, like a muffin tin but in miniature. Into which
> she pressed a pastry shell, and filled it with a walnut mixture.
>
> She does not recall what those were called. I'd appreciate help from
> anyOne 'round hear.

Rugelach?

moseydog

Dec 8, 2008, 5:05:32 PM12/8/08
On Dec 7, 10:39 pm, President_dudley <dud...@cloud9.net> wrote:

> My ma at christmas useta make a lotta "cookies"; one of 'em required a
> special tin for baking, like a muffin tin but in miniature. Into which
> she pressed a pastry shell, and filled it with a walnut mixture.
>
> She does not recall what those were called. I'd appreciate help from
> anyOne 'round hear.
>
> She does not think they were Pfeffernüsse.
>
> Cookily yrs, & sincerely best to you & yrs,
> dudley

Was your mom Swedish?
Sounds very much like a Sandbakkel to me.

rwalker

Dec 8, 2008, 6:59:54 PM12/8/08
On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:39:25 -0800 (PST), jbu...@yahoo.com wrote:

snip

>NEVERtheless :) despite your positive opinion, I don't have the need
>to hear any more Xmas music than I already do. With the possible
>exception of the Singing Dogs doing 'Jingle Bells'.

I'm with you. I've reached the point that I wish Christmas were

The Hysterical Bride

Dec 8, 2008, 7:02:47 PM12/8/08
On Dec 8, 3:59 pm, rwalker <rwal...@despammed.com> wrote:

I'm having a strange sense of deja vu.

joelha...@yahoo.com

Dec 8, 2008, 7:23:59 PM12/8/08
On Dec 7, 11:39 pm, President_dudley <dud...@cloud9.net> wrote:
> My ma at christmas useta make a lotta "cookies"; one of 'em required a
> special tin for baking, like a muffin tin but in miniature. Into which
> she pressed a pastry shell, and filled it with a walnut mixture.
>
> She does not recall what those were called. I'd appreciate help from
> anyOne 'round hear.

Walnut tassies,
SunDog

Babs

Dec 9, 2008, 11:14:02 AM12/9/08
A refreshing holiday song by Adrienne Pierce called "All That We Want"
can be heard here:

http://www.myspace.com/adriennepierce

frinjdwelr

Dec 9, 2008, 6:16:01 PM12/9/08

"khematite" <khem...@aol.com> wrote in message

But according to Tom Petty, Bob did sing "White Christmas" at one of their
practice sessions. It was not recorded however. Also a few years ago he
was doing some Christmas carols at various soundchecks. We heard parts of
"Little Town of Bethlehem" from the lobby in Minneapolis and a friend heard
parts of "Adeste Fidelis" out East. Again, none of us were taping.

Looking at these old threads makes me miss people like Alan Fraser.

The Hysterical Bride

Dec 9, 2008, 6:17:22 PM12/9/08
On Dec 9, 3:16 pm, "frinjdwelr" <frinjdw...@charter.net> wrote:
> "khematite" <khemat...@aol.com> wrote in message
> Looking at these old threads makes me miss people like Alan Fraser.- Hide quoted text -

I hope I didn't drive him away.

The Hysterical Bride

Dec 9, 2008, 6:18:07 PM12/9/08
> I hope I didn't drive him away.- Hide quoted text -

That's right.

It's all about you, right Rachel?

President_dudley

Dec 10, 2008, 3:27:43 AM12/10/08

That's them, bubba. Many thanks.

I know for sure because in the recipe i found the dough is made of
flour, butter and cream cheese, which had struck me as unusual for a
dough even tho' fat is fat.

To other posters suggesting sandbakkel & kifli, they sound delicious.

& mosey dog, you asked:

> Was your mom Swedish?

Ma is very much still with us, i saw her this past sunday; she no
longer bakes, hence the past tense "useta".

On her mother's side German; on her father's side, let's just say i
come from a long line of seamen.

(that is a play on words, which i will revisit soon and often).

Many thanks,
dudley

President_dudley

Dec 12, 2008, 4:51:15 AM12/12/08
On Dec 7, 11:39 pm, President_dudley <dud...@cloud9.net> wrote:

> Hence, here's a coupleFew not everyOne might have in their collection:

Can't believe i missed this one, if y've got a coupla minutes.

Long obscurely bootlegged, now commercially available, "Dick Fariña &
Eric von Schmidt", Fariña's "Xmas Island":
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4sgwls

Not sure who's on harp.

Blindly grunting,
Dr. dudley