Will Dockery is a great role model...

Jordy Chase

Aug 31, 2013, 8:17:03 PM8/31/13

It's impossible to know for certain what people are like in RL, based on what we read in Usenet, but Will is a shining example of a person who behaves very well on Usenet... He is always friendly, courteous, polite, easy going... If more people followed his example, Usenet would be a more civil and less contentious and quarrelsome place to visit...

The Bloomfield Buddy

Aug 31, 2013, 9:15:10 PM8/31/13
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:17:03 PM UTC-4, Jordy Chase wrote:
> It's impossible to know for certain what people are like in RL, based on what we read in Usenet, but Will is a shining example of a person who behaves very well on Usenet... He is always friendly, courteous, polite, easy going... If more people followed his example, Usenet would be a more civil and less contentious and quarrelsome place to visit...

Now let's hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah.

Jordy Chase

Aug 31, 2013, 9:47:39 PM8/31/13

That's a marvelous idea BB... However, why don't we sing "Blowin' in the wind" or "The times they are a changin" or "Masters of war" or "With God on our side" instead?

Just Walkin'

Aug 31, 2013, 10:40:46 PM8/31/13
How about George Jackson?

You could follow it up with a two step to Ronee Blakely's Fred Hampton.

Will Dockery

Aug 31, 2013, 11:16:18 PM8/31/13
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:17:03 PM UTC-4, Jordy Chase wrote:
> It's impossible to know for certain what people are like in RL, based on what we read in Usenet, but Will is a shining example of a person who behaves very well on Usenet... He is always friendly, courteous, polite, easy going... If more people followed his example, Usenet would be a more civil and less contentious and quarrelsome place to visit...

Hey thanks, Jordy... you can catch a better glimpse of the "real life" me over on my Reverbnation page if you'd like...

--
Music & poetry from Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery

really real

Sep 1, 2013, 9:47:19 AM9/1/13

> That's a marvelous idea BB... However, why don't we sing "Blowin' in the wind" or "The times they are a changin" or "Masters of war" or "With God on our side" instead?

Because BB doesn't know the lyrics to those songs

marcus

Sep 1, 2013, 6:39:44 PM9/1/13
On Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:47:19 AM UTC-4, really real wrote:

> > That's a marvelous idea BB... However, why don't we sing "Blowin' in the wind" or "The times they are a changin" or "Masters of war" or "With God on our side" instead?
>

> Because BB doesn't know the lyrics to those songs

Lyrics don't matter. ;-)

Will Dockery

Sep 2, 2013, 12:27:03 PM9/2/13
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 10:40:46 PM UTC-4, Just Walkin' wrote:
> How about George Jackson?
>
> You could follow it up with a two step to Ronee Blakley's Fred Hampton.

I've seen (and heard) a good bit of Ronee Blakley, most notably in Nashville and Renaldo & Clara, but I've mulled it and slept on it and can't remember this "Fred Hampton" song.

I liked her solo moment in Renaldo & Clara a great bit, and she's so sexy in the red hat in that movie during Knockin' On Heaven's Door:

http://youtu.be/OtuxWkHDGpk

Ronee Blakley - Need A New Sun Rising

Just Walkin'

Sep 2, 2013, 1:02:29 PM9/2/13
Hey there Will, you ol' role model you.

She was a trip in Nashville. In fact, the whole movie was a trip. The song was on Ronee's debut album. I think it's still available as a 99 cent download, FWIW.

Will Dockery

Sep 2, 2013, 1:21:58 PM9/2/13
On Monday, September 2, 2013 1:02:29 PM UTC-4, Just Walkin' wrote:
> Hey there Will, you ol' role model you.
>
> She was a trip in Nashville. In fact, the whole movie was a trip. The song was on Ronee's debut album. I think it's still available as a 99 cent download, FWIW.

Hello there, JK, hope your Labor Day is going well, and that's you've had your fill of BBQ and Jerry Lewis.

My VHS copy, well one of two volumes, of Renaldo & Clara kind of "died" a few years ago, but I've been eyeballing the DVD version at a certain used CD/comix/vinyl/oddities of pop culture shop in Atlanta, which i probably shouldn't name, although since the shop has been around well over 30 years anyone familiar with Buckhead no doubt knows the place.

Funny, inflation hasn't changed these old friends that much, and in fact the DVD version of Renaldo & Clara is like $20 less than the VHS version was back in the late 1980s, and now even has a cover that uses one of the movie posters/ads for R & C that flowated around in 1978.

Also, places like that store, Wax-N-Fax, Wuxtry, Criminal Records and so on would be a great place to keep my eyes peeled for this Ronee Blakley record, and I'm hoping to get up Atlanta way around Thursday so this'll be still hopefully fresh in my mind at that time.

Heads-up for folks looking for this record shop, they recently moved from their location of maybe 40 years on Peachtree Road to more or less around the corner to Pharr Road, standing on the exact spot where there greatly missed Oxford Books on Pharr used to stand. Great store and great people, and if I get a chance, I'll ask them if they mind getting a plug in the Dylan newsgroup, just in case.

Dr_dudley

Sep 2, 2013, 5:18:29 PM9/2/13
On Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:17:03 PM UTC-4, Jordy Chase wrote:
> It's impossible to know for certain what people are like in RL, based on what we read in Usenet, but Will is a shining example of a person who behaves very well on Usenet... He is always friendly, courteous, polite, easy going... If more people followed his example, Usenet would be a more civil and less contentious and quarrelsome place to visit...

Hey Jordy,

I'll have to concur with you but perhaps for a different reasonset.

If put to the fire, i'll bet Mr Dockery will confess to having been a bit more contentious and prone to the young man's game of Usenet flaming, years past.

And so i suggest that Mr Dockery's present behaviour is not so much the model to rock & role, but rather the possibility of personal redemption, second acts in america, and the fact that "...it's possible to become so defiled in this world that your own father and mother will abandon you and if that happens,
God will always believe in your own ability to mend your own ways."

So yes, g*d bless you and yours Will on this, the holiday of the Workingman's Blues. I disremember your handle at the time may it be purged from the archives if you so desire or remain to remind you, and may all your mp3s be CD quality or better.

Now if i may return to those thrilling days of yesteryear and revel in how *far* the soundquality of the new Isle of Wight release outstrips anything i every had. it's like a revelation.

peace ya'll
rdd
___
Bob Dylan Lifetime Achievement Award Grammy Jack Nicholson - 1991 FUNNY !!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeBzvgewgsc

(watch the hatplay, it goes way back)

BOB DYLAN with CESAR DIAZ Masters Of War February 20, 1991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U93ezKkrW6M

MERLE HAGGARD - Workin' Man Blues#1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l3zM1ko5c0

Working Man Blues #2 Bob Dylan Original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHd0cz5110M

(sleep is like a temporary death)

MERLE HAGGARD - Workin' Man Blues#3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhTtaMBo6g

Will Dockery

Sep 2, 2013, 6:35:12 PM9/2/13
On Monday, September 2, 2013 5:18:29 PM UTC-4, Dr_dudley wrote:
> On Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:17:03 PM UTC-4, Jordy Chase wrote:
>
> > It's impossible to know for certain what people are like in RL, based on what we read in Usenet, but Will is a shining example of a person who behaves very well on Usenet... He is always friendly, courteous, polite, easy going... If more people followed his example, Usenet would be a more civil and less contentious and quarrelsome place to visit...
>
> Hey Jordy,
>
> I'll have to concur with you but perhaps for a different reasonset.
>
> If put to the fire, i'll bet Mr Dockery will confess to having been a bit more contentious and prone to the young man's game of Usenet flaming, years past.

Yeah, I did make some stands on time-to-time, all archived...

> And so i suggest that Mr Dockery's present behaviour is not so much the model to rock & role, but rather the possibility of personal redemption, second acts in america, and the fact that "...it's possible to become so defiled in this world that your own father and mother will abandon you and if that happens,
>
> God will always believe in your own ability to mend your own ways."

Heh... I used to have that little acceptance speech on a VHS tape filled with random Dylan sightings on MTV & VH1 et cetera... yes, hard to believe that in the late 1980s-1990s or so, Dylan could be spotted here and there, with Wilburys, on awards shows, quick on the eye videos... and playing a chainsaw wood artist in a Dennis Hopper movie:

"Yeah... I know a fella called Natty D..."

> So yes, g*d bless you and yours Will on this, the holiday of the Workingman's Blues. I disremember your handle at the time may it be purged from the archives if you so desire or remain to remind you, and may all your mp3s be CD quality or better.
>
> Now if i may return to those thrilling days of yesteryear and revel in how *far* the soundquality of the new Isle of Wight release outstrips anything i every had. it's like a revelation.

Is the Isle Of Wight CD worth the 100+ dollars admission, Dr.?

Dr_dudley

Sep 2, 2013, 6:47:24 PM9/2/13
On Monday, September 2, 2013 6:35:12 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> Is the Isle Of Wight CD worth the 100+ dollars admission, Dr.?

i'd have to say no. the 100$US includes the "remastered" original SelfPortrait and some slipcased hardbound books.

at a reasonable price it is stellarly worth it. it is a universe removed from anything i've heard previously.

more, perhaps, later.

BobbyM

Sep 2, 2013, 6:57:28 PM9/2/13
My boxset hasn't arrived yet, but I have listened to the mp3s which I
got along with my purchase (the remastered Self Portrait wasn't included
in the mp3 downloads). The Isle of Wight recordings are miles above any
of the bootlegs out there; the songs that were included on Self Portrait
sound much better. As far as the performance itself, parts of it are
good to great, some just don't work IMO with The Band.

Dr_dudley

Sep 2, 2013, 7:57:09 PM9/2/13
yes, BobbyM, pretty much the same here. althp "miles above" might be short of he mark; *lightyears* maybe.

Just Walkin'

Sep 2, 2013, 8:26:42 PM9/2/13
Watchin' out for those mixed metaphors good doctor, I'd say that on a scale of Fast, Medium and Large, the set comes in at Large. Also clear sounding and enjoyable with new things to hear in old favorites and what not.

Plus you get I Threw It All Away twice! Live and in the studio.Now there's a song you can learn to live by.

Ain't nothing like it in this headstrong business till you get to Jealous Guy...

Dr_dudley

Sep 4, 2013, 1:39:43 AM9/4/13
hey Just old rmd old buddy old pal,

thanks for the mixed metaphor heads up, but i looked it up and both miles and light years are measurements of distance.

among the Large i've heard thus far include the reimaginings of Trad stuff: Railroad Bill and This Evening So Soon (a variant of Tell Old Bill? i was so disappointed some few years ago when Tell Old Bill showed up on a bob release and had nothing to do with that chestnut). What is this s**t invested with energised sincerity, even if faked.

& the covers of his contemporarys. nice to see the nod to Paxton, but the Eric Andersen Thirsty Boots i hadn't heard from the Record Day release. *jaw drops*

more later if time, which passes slowly, permits.

hopeing all is well with you and yours, andthat yur keyboard works beter thean mine.

Yr humble servant,
rdd
___
here's another kind of song brings joy to me:
Dan Seals - Bop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKpn-GYsKSc

Just Walkin'

Sep 4, 2013, 6:34:14 PM9/4/13
Goodness gracious el doctor, I thought by "miles above" you were referring to the "great trumpet player in the sky." Hence I herewith stand corrected, not with white-out, but with standard editorial annotates widely understood and accepted by printsmen everywhere. Of course, I still can't figure out what Mr. Davis has to do with good old Buzz...

But I stand by my review of "large." Like Stimpy's brain, "eet ees sooo beeg." Gosh, there is just so much to listen to, I wish my ears were good enough to tell the difference between what I've got, what I've had and all those digital formats everyone seems to be discussing these days. I just put it on, press play and listen. And it sounds as good (or bad) as it always did.

I only wish I had some classy relevant youthube link to share with you in this regard. Kudos to Mr. Rosen and his gang for a classy presentation nonetheless.

But since you didn't ask, did you hear that Ed Schultz asked today what Paul (Wellstone) would do about blowing up a country in a limited way ?

So far only he and that Corn feller are the only peace-loving media mugs that seem to smell a rat. Everyone else on the that used to yell peace are now screaming for war. Funny what a false flag can provoke a patriot to do.

Speaking of which things must be pretty whacky when nuts like Gomer Gohmert start making sense...

Good thing we have new old music to listen to. Shame them horses are still so tired; maybe they're just dead...and everyone's just given up riding and are watching TV instead.

Will Dockery

Sep 5, 2013, 10:55:34 AM9/5/13
I've just heard enough Self Portrait over the last 40 years to be convinced yet that I really need to hear more of it, in any form. Enough was enough, and then we were given "Dylan" in 1973 just to top it off.

Maybe I'm wrong, and wouldn't mind being wrong about that.

Isle Of Wight, The Band and Bob... yeah, if that was s ingle disc I'd buy it.

"I'd stand in line."

Will Dockery

Sep 5, 2013, 7:32:20 PM9/5/13
Dr_dudley wrote:

> So yes, g*d bless you and yours Will on this, the holiday of the Workingman's Blues. I disremember your handle at the time may it be purged from the archives if you so desire or remain to remind you, and may all your mp3s be CD quality or better.

Thanks Dr. D, & in honor of the 56th anniversary of the publication of On The Road:

"Being beat goes back to my ancestors, to the rebellious, the hungry, the weird, and the mad." -Jack Kerouac

"Crashville Skyline / The Shadowville All-Stars" Jack Snipe (guitar) - Link Dunlap (bass) - Rob Wright (voodoo magick) - Kevin Harrison (drums) - Patricia Suddeth (vocals & percussion) - Brian Mallard (guitar) - Will Dockery (vocals) - Recorded 2013 at Harrison & Sons Studio, Phenix City, Alabama.

http://www.reverbnation.com/suddethandassociates/song/18502804-crashville-skyline--shadowville

The Bloomfield Buddy

Sep 5, 2013, 7:37:37 PM9/5/13
On Thursday, September 5, 2013 7:32:20 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> http://www.reverbnation.com/suddethandassociates/song/18502804-crashville-skyline--shadowville

How long have you had this throat cancer?

Will Dockery

Sep 24, 2013, 12:25:54 AM9/24/13
The Bloomfield Buddy wrote:
> Will Dockery wrote:
>
> > http://www.reverbnation.com/suddethandassociates/song/18502804-crashville-skyline--shadowville
>
> How long have you had this throat cancer?

Yet you say that you think I'm a better singer than either Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits...

You're quite a piece of work, Bloomfeld... heh.

Will Dockery

Oct 1, 2013, 11:58:33 AM10/1/13
"The image is joy. But beside it is a void. The image’s power can only be expressed through that. The truth has two faces... Shot: reverse shot. Imaginary: certainty. Real: uncertainty. The very principle of cinema, to capture the light and shine it into the darkness. Our music." -Jean-Luc Godard

http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/18523932-crashville-skyline--shadowville

The Bloomfield Buddy

Oct 1, 2013, 12:48:08 PM10/1/13
On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 11:58:33 AM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

"The image is joy. But beside it is a void. The image’s power can only be expressed through that. The truth has two faces... Shot: reverse shot. Imaginary: certainty. Real: uncertainty. The very principle of cinema, to capture the light and shine it into the darkness. Our music." -Jean-Luc Godard

"Whoop-de-damn-doo" - Derrick Coleman

DianeE

Oct 1, 2013, 9:26:26 PM10/1/13

"Will Dockery" <will.d...@gmail.com> wrote in message
"The image is joy. But beside it is a void. The image’s power can only be
expressed through that. The truth has two faces... Shot: reverse shot.
Imaginary: certainty. Real: uncertainty. The very principle of cinema, to
capture the light and shine it into the darkness. Our music." -Jean-Luc
Godard
Our love was like our music
It's here and then it's gone

The Rolling Stones, "No Expectations"

marcus

Oct 1, 2013, 9:42:17 PM10/1/13
On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 12:48:08 PM UTC-4, The Bloomfield Buddy wrote:

> "Whoop-de-damn-doo" - Derrick Coleman

"La-de-frickin-da" - Matt Foley