Looking for early 60's baseball (Dodgers) novelty song

Katherine Heck

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95

On 6 Jul 1995 fl...@mustang.via.net wrote:

> When I was a small child in the early sixties, we had a 45 RPM record of a
> comic novelty song about a game between the Dodgers and the "Jints"
> (Giants). I'd like to find it again. All I remember are a few scraps of
> lyrics. It started ...
>
> I say D
> I say D-O
> D-O-D
> D-O-D-G
> D-O-D-G-E-R-S
> Team, team, team, team ...

> I say O-M
> O-M-A
> O-M-A-L
> O-M-A-L-L-E-Y
> Oh, really? No, O'Malley!
>
> another part went:
>
> Orlando Cepeda
> Comes to base with the bases jammed.
> Orlandy Cepeda
> With a Wham, Bam, he hit a grand slam
> In the very first inning, but it's only the beginning
>
> Also:
>
> Here comes big Frank Howard yessiree!
> Boy, what a swing! Strike three!
>
> Okay, can anybody tell me this song's name and who performed/wrote/published
> it? Thanks!

The performer was Danny Kaye. I don't know the other info. I remember
hearing the song on New York's WFAN a few years back.

ken emery

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
In article <3tgvnb$a...@mustang.via.net>, <fl...@mustang.via.net> wrote:
>When I was a small child in the early sixties, we had a 45 RPM record of a
>comic novelty song about a game between the Dodgers and the "Jints"
>(Giants). I'd like to find it again. All I remember are a few scraps of
>lyrics. It started ...
>
>I say D
>I say D-O
>D-O-D
>D-O-D-G
>D-O-D-G-E-R-S
>Team, team, team, team ...

<part of song deleted>

This is the "D-O-D-G-E-R-S Song (Oh Really, No O'Malley)" sung by Danny Kaye.
It is available on the Rhino Compliation album "Baseball's Greatest Hits"
(a must have for any baseball fan). There are several other songs and
the Abbott and Costello classic "Whos on First". If you find this on
CD pick it up as it is pretty difficult to find. Don't confuse it with
other Rhino baseball CD "Baseball's Greastest Hits, Let's Play II" which is
a followup to the former (and not quite as good) and is generally available.

--
bye,
ken emery

Bbxpert

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
The song you're referring to is D-O-D-G-E-R-S Song (Oh Really? No,
O'Malley) by Danny Kaye. That really is the title; I have the recording.

Bill

fl...@mustang.via.net

Mark Loop

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
k...@remarque.berkeley.edu (ken emery) writes:

>In article <3tgvnb$a...@mustang.via.net>, <fl...@mustang.via.net> wrote:

>>When I was a small child in the early sixties, we had a 45 RPM record of a
>>comic novelty song about a game between the Dodgers and the "Jints"
>>(Giants). I'd like to find it again. All I remember are a few scraps of
>>lyrics. It started ...
>>
>>I say D
>>I say D-O
>>D-O-D
>>D-O-D-G
>>D-O-D-G-E-R-S
>>Team, team, team, team ...

><part of song deleted>

>This is the "D-O-D-G-E-R-S Song (Oh Really, No O'Malley)" sung by Danny Kaye.
>It is available on the Rhino Compliation album "Baseball's Greatest Hits"
>(a must have for any baseball fan). There are several other songs and

I don't know if this is on the Rhino release, but a true Dodger fan
"must have" would be the Big Blue Wrecking Crew's version of "We are
the Champions" recorded just after they won the World Series.

Mark

Clayface

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
>This is the "D-O-D-G-E-R-S Song (Oh Really, No O'Malley)" sung by Danny
Kaye.
>It is available on the Rhino Compliation album "Baseball's Greatest Hits"
>(a must have for any baseball fan). There are several other songs and

I don't know if this is on the Rhino release, but a true Dodger fan
"must have" would be the Big Blue Wrecking Crew's version of "We are
the Champions" recorded just after they won the World Series.<<

Yes, that bloody awful version of "We Are the Champions" is indeed on
'Baseball's Greatest Hits'.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Good is better than Evil because it's nicer." - Maxwell Smart

mcre...@delphi.com

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
Mark Loop <mrl...@nit.airtouch.com> writes:

>>It is available on the Rhino Compliation album "Baseball's Greatest Hits"
>>(a must have for any baseball fan). There are several other songs and
>
>I don't know if this is on the Rhino release, but a true Dodger fan
>"must have" would be the Big Blue Wrecking Crew's version of "We are
>the Champions" recorded just after they won the World Series.

That is also on there, along with some 20 other goodies (including "Who's
On First", which introduced that classic to my teenaged boys).

Mary

(Now _I've_ got a real Dodgers oldie: _The Sound Of the Dodgers_ LP with
Jackie Barnett, Jimmy Durante, and with guest appearnces by Vin Scully
Maury wills and Willie Davis [who duet on "Dodger Stadium"].)
That dates to the mid-60s.

Brian Leibowitz

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95

And other Dodger songs:

Let's Keep the Dogers in Brooklyn - Phil Foster
Dodger Blue - David Frishberg [this one is LA Dodgers, not the REAL Dodgers]

Brian

dtk

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
fl...@mustang.via.net writes:

> another part went:

> Orlando Cepeda
> Comes to base with the bases jammed.
> Orlandy Cepeda
> With a Wham, Bam, he hit a grand slam
> In the very first inning, but it's only the beginning

> Also:

> Here comes big Frank Howard yessiree!
> Boy, what a swing! Strike three!

> Okay, can anybody tell me this song's name and who performed/wrote/published
> it? Thanks!

Why in the hell would Cepeda be celebrated in a Dodgers song? He played
for their arch-rival.

Bev D. Blackwood II

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/12/95
> fl...@mustang.via.net writes:
> > Okay, can anybody tell me this song's name and who performed/wrote/published
> > it? Thanks!

Well... I CAN tell you it was Danny Kaye, and I CAN tell you it is on a CD
I have at home from Rhino records called Baseball's greatest hits (or its
counterpart "Let's play two" which are BOTH must-haves for their
collection of unique songs. and Baseball sound clips. (Including two of
MY faves, "Who's on first?" and "A dying Cub fan's last request"!) If you
need more info, e-mail me and I'll get more details! Blac...@rice.edu

--
-BDB2

Robert F. Hutson

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/13/95

I've got the CD in front of me.

Baseball's Greatest Hits
Rhino R2 70710

The song is: "D-O-D-G-E-R-S SONG (Oh, Really? No, I'Malley)"
by Danney Kaye

--
~ bob (Bob Hutson)
b...@swdc.stratus.com (not a typo) San Jose, CA

mcre...@delphi.com

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/14/95
dtk <kur...@musc.edu> writes:

>Why in the hell would Cepeda be celebrated in a Dodgers song? He played
>for their arch-rival.

Because the song was telling the story of a Dodgers-Giants game (possibly
real, more likely fictional). Cepeda, Mays, Miller, Hiller & Haller were
Giants players of that era.
Mary (who is still a Dodgers fan, but thinks they have a way to go to match
those '60s teams)

Roland Bassett

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
In article <3u11j3$s...@nellie.musc.edu>, dtk <kur...@musc.edu> wrote:
>In article <3tgvnb$a...@mustang.via.net>
>fl...@mustang.via.net writes:
>
>> another part went:
>
>> Orlando Cepeda
>> Comes to base with the bases jammed.
>> Orlandy Cepeda
>> With a Wham, Bam, he hit a grand slam
>> In the very first inning, but it's only the beginning
>
>> Also:
>
>> Here comes big Frank Howard yessiree!
>> Boy, what a swing! Strike three!
>
>> Okay, can anybody tell me this song's name and who performed/wrote/published
>> it? Thanks!
>

>Why in the hell would Cepeda be celebrated in a Dodgers song? He played
>for their arch-rival.

Well, if I remember the song correctly, the game continues 4-0, until
dem Bums win it with 5 in the bottom of the ninth.... Supposedly this
described an actual game, but I haven't found the game (or looked for
it).

RLB
Roland Bassett SDAC, Harvard School of Public Health
rol...@sdac.harvard.edu Phone: +1 617 432 0040 FAX: +1 617 432 2832