"Weird Al" inspired artist (i.e. me)

luk...@charter.net

Feb 20, 2003, 4:34:19 PM2/20/03
"MC Lars Horris" <la...@mclarshorris.com> wrote in message
news:b31565$jn2$1...@news.Stanford.EDU...
> Hey fellow "Weird Al" fans,
>
> I am a twenty year old musician from California and have been heavily
> influenced by "Weird Al" for my whole life. He is my all-time favorite
> recording artist, "Off the Deep End" was the first CD I ever bought, when
> was ten living in Oakland. I love that CD and all of his others, but my
> favorite is "In 3D."
>
> Anyway, I have been doing some recording, and some hip-hop stuff (with the
> "Weird Al" approach of looking at a genre holsitically and commenting on
> it). I am curious what you guys think of my music? A world where hip-hop
> can drag you down, I try to make it different and pick you up. I have
music
> online here:
>
> http://www.mclarshorris.com/audio.html
>
> Well thanks for reading this, and if you have any comments, could you
please
> e-mail me at la...@mclarshorris.com. I am curious what my fellow Al fans
> think. Also, for background I am a sophomore at Stanford University
> studying English.
>
> Also what do you think if I sent this stuff to Dr. Demento? Would it be
too
> "mainstream" for him or would he like my commentary on rap music?
>
> Anyway thanks for reading this and I hope to hear from some of you.
>
> Your friend,
> - Lars
> http://www.mclarshorris.com
>
> "The age of the ignorant rapper is done,
> Knowledge reigns supreme over nearly everyone.
> The stereotype must be lost
> That love and peace and knowledge is soft."
>
> - KRS-One "Why Is That?"

Hey MC Lars,

Let me make a few comments before I go listen to your stuff.

Does Dr. Demento support comedy based hip-hop artists? Or hip-hop based
comedy artists, if you prefer? Well, allow me to point out the #1 song of
his Funny 25 of 2002 Countdown...

"Peter Parker" by the great Luke Ski
A parody of Run DMC's "Peter Piper" about "Spider-Man".

Yes, that would be me. A full blown old school rap song parody like that
wouldn't have made it to #1 without the support of the good Doctor. So yes,
he will give comedy rap a chance, the same as he gives it to all other
genres of comedy music. This is of course no guarantee that you will get on
the air, but he does listen to everything sent to him, and will usually get
back to you with either a 'yes, thanks for sending it' or a 'no, but keep
trying' response. It took me several tries before I got any airplay, and
even longer before I came up with a 'hit'. So there you go. By all means
please do send your stuff in the good Doctor, that's how the show keeps
going, by new fresh, funny talent participating in the proud tradition of
dementia. A couple tips, you have to keep it clean enough for radio
airplay, and try to record your stuff with the best equipment you can get
your hands on, that will better your chances. The address to send it to is:

The Dr. Demento Show
PO Box 884
Culver City, CA 90232

For those of you interested in the excellent and often unappreciated
sub-genre of Rap Dementia, the Library of Congress recommends the following
websites:

the great Luke Ski - www.LukeSki.com
(As the Four Postmen say, "I'm a steamin' locomotion of self-promotion.")

Sudden Death - www.SuddenDeath.org
(My eternal partner in mackadociousness, or something like that.)

Luke Ski's Rap Dementia Manifesto -
http://www.lukeski.com/rapdementiamanifesto.htm
(Written in 1998, a dissertation on comedy rap, what is good, what sucks
ass, and why.)

Rap Dementia Links - http://www.lukeski.com/links.htm
(Scroll to the bottom of this page for links to some of my favortie rap
groups, funny and otherwise.)

"Dementia Revolution" - a weekly Thursday night internet-only funny music
shoutcast show!
- http://www.lukeski.com/dementiarevolution.htm
(No other show on the radio or the internet plays more rap dementia than
this one, beeyotch!)

Well that's all for now. I'm gonna go check out your stuff. Good luck, and
I look forward to hearing it. Talk to you later! :)

--
Luke Collis Sienkowski, a.k.a. "the great Luke Ski!"

GNOME Productions
Luk...@Juno.com / http://www.LukeSki.com
AOL IM handle: thegreatLukeSki / ICQ info: Luke Ski, #19122313

luk...@charter.net

Feb 20, 2003, 4:34:35 PM2/20/03

The Rooster

Feb 21, 2003, 11:32:39 PM2/21/03
<luk...@charter.net> wrote in message

> "MC Lars Horris" <la...@mclarshorris.com> wrote in message
> Hey MC Lars,
>
> Let me make a few comments before I go listen to your stuff. ...

I thought his post would get your attention buddy! Still haven't had a
chance to download his stuff and listen to it though (had a power failure
yesterday for one thing.)

Stan