Original of song done on Hee Haw?

Joe Gillis

Aug 10, 2003, 11:07:10 PM8/10/03

The Hee Haw TV show had a running bit where two people would sing:

"Where, oh where, are you tonight?
Why did you leave me here all alone?
I searched the world over and I thought I found true love,
You met another, and -- [raspberry sound]!! You was gone."

Who recorded the original version of this? I believe it came out around 1953.
And what is the title? Anyone know where I could find the original lyrics?

"I don't mind lying, but I HATE inaccuracy." -- Samuel Butler

Jack Aldrich

Aug 11, 2003, 3:19:08 PM8/11/03
I don't remember the title (or most of the words), but it was written &
performed by the Geezenslaw Brothers.

12-stringer

Aug 11, 2003, 5:23:55 PM8/11/03
The title (maybe an extra "f" in this) is "Pfft! You Were Gone." My memory
of the 70s (not to mention the 60s and the 80s) is a little brain-fried, but
it seems to me there is also a somewhat religious version of it. What's for
dinner, Grandpa?

"Joe Gillis" <cinema...@aol.comedy> wrote in message

Neil Rossi

Aug 12, 2003, 2:07:28 PM8/12/03
A web search turns up the following lyrics. They're not writing them
like this anymore.

Where oh where are you tonight?

Why did you leave me here all alone?

I searched the world over and I thought I'd found true love.
But you met another and PTHHP! you was gone.

You took out your false teeth, your wig and your glasses.
You were just scattered all over the place.
I wanted to kiss you and hug you so tightly.
I guess that I would have if I'd found your face.

I went to your house at three in the morning.
You had all them curlers and junk in your hair.
You would not have scared me and I'd not have run so,
If you had not looked like you'd wrestled a bear.

I told you my darlin' you looked like a gopher.
Made you so mad, you haven't spoke since.
But tell me my darling if you ain't got buck teeth.
How do you eat apples through a picket fence?

When I picked you up for our date last weekend.
You looked so pretty in your satin and lace.
But when I bent over and started to kiss you,
you popped a pimple all over my face!

And here's Archie Campbell singing it:
http://www.markt.no/bjorn/archie_campbell_PFFT_You_Were_Gone.ram

Graeme Freeland

Aug 12, 2003, 8:38:31 PM8/12/03
Joe, you have done well. If you look further on BMI you will find that all
66 songs attributed to Lee Roberts/Susan Heather are also listed for "Marian
Y Reichner". Including "Pfft You Was Gone" aka "Phfft You Were Gone".

On ASCAP there are 176 songs listed under both Bickley S Reichner and Bix
Reichner. But, as you wrote, not the "Pfft/Phfft" song.

Graeme Freeland

> >>A reply to my post in the newsgroup alt.music.country.classic claims the
> >song,
> >>indeed titled "PFFT! You Were Gone", was written by "Susan Heather"....

---
> >Well Joe, I try really hard not to collect records in
> >the 78rpm format, but songs like the one you are
> >talking about here just scream at me to take them
> >home with me.
> >
> >Such was the case when I ran across this record
> >as done by Bob Newman on the King label #1131.
> >
> >You can view a scan of my copy of this record by
> >clicking this link:
> >
> >http://home.triad.rr.com/ovis/King/Phfft_You_Were_Gone.jpg
> >
> >As you can see, the correct title is "Phfft! You
> >Were Gone", and the writer is Lee Roberts.
> >
> >Lee Roberts is also listed at the BMI web site
> >as the writer of this, as well as 65 other songs.
> >I didn't check with ASCAP, he may have more
> >songs registered with them.
>
> I wen to BMI.com and looked up "Susan Heather." Susan was listed as the
author
> of "Pfft You Were Gone" -- but I clicked on the title for more info and it
took
> me to a page which listed PYWG's writer as... Lee Roberts.
>
> So suddenly Susan turns out to be, as I suspected, a pseudonym (probably
named
> for somebody's daughter[s]). But what of our old friend Bix Reichner?
>
> I looked up Bix at BMI and didn't find anything. However he had over 165
songs
> at ASCAP, and I couldn't find any for Lee Roberts (although there might be
some
> -- that site doesn't get along very well with my PC).
>
> Could Lee be Bix's BMI alias? I can't speak for Mr Roberts, but Mr
Reichner was
> (apparently) a real person -- I found a non-music site which mentions him
> working at a Philadelphia TV station in 1948.
>
> That's about as far as I can go with it. I'm a newbie at this sort of
thing,
> and I'll leave it to the experts to delve any deeper.

Graeme Freeland

Aug 12, 2003, 8:32:16 PM8/12/03

Jack Aldrich

Aug 13, 2003, 11:07:58 AM8/13/03
The Reichner brothers called themselves the "Geezenslaw Brothers". They
did humorous songs and parodies.

Joe Cline

Aug 13, 2003, 12:15:04 PM8/13/03
On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 15:07:58 GMT, Jack Aldrich
<john.w....@boeing.com> wrote:

>The Reichner brothers called themselves the "Geezenslaw Brothers". They
>did humorous songs and parodies.

The Geezinslaws are (and have been, for forty years):
Lead Vocal/Mandolin: Sammy Allred; Lead Vocal/Rhythm Guitar:
Dewayne "Son" Smith

jc

stevie...@gmail.com

Aug 28, 2019, 5:45:48 PM8/28/19
Turns out we're all wrong. A guy named Bob Newman (Roberts) wrote and recorded it in 1952. He sold the song, he sold a few for cash, to Lee Reichner (wrote Papa Loves Mambo) who then published it in his wife's name Marian B Yearnell aka Susan Heather. Here's a link to a clip of original: https://www.zeroto180.org/?p=23560