Who was "Melvin Schwartz" of "Baby Talk" fame

HotPlatter

Sep 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/9/99
I've often wondered about the writer credited to the song "Baby Talk"
recorded by the Laurels and Jan & Dean. ??? Melvin Schwartz ??

Does anyone know anything about him ?? Was this an alias ??
Did he ever write any other tunes ?? Steve ?? Norm ??

Ed O.

"HOT PLATTERS" - Records, Books, Tapes & more.
www.hotplatters.com
(50) categories with new additions added twice monthly.

Stephen C. Propes

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99
HotPlatter wrote:

> I've often wondered about the writer credited to the song "Baby Talk"
> recorded by the Laurels and Jan & Dean. ??? Melvin Schwartz ??
>
> Does anyone know anything about him ?? Was this an alias ??
> Did he ever write any other tunes ?? Steve ?? Norm ??
>
> Ed O.
Boy, you've got too much free time, Ed. I've talked to Lee Silver about
Baby Talk - Spring was his label - & as best I can recall, Melvin
Schwartz might be related (or a pseudonym for) Gene Schwartz of Laurie
Records.

This is Steve saying over n out.

leonard....@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2014, 8:43:17 AM2/6/14
Mel Schwartz was my camp counselor

marty.nmn...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2014, 10:05:38 AM10/14/14
On Thursday, September 9, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, hotpl...@aol.com wrote:
> I've often wondered about the writer credited to the song "Baby Talk"
> recorded by the Laurels and Jan & Dean. ??? Melvin Schwartz ??
>
> Does anyone know anything about him ?? Was this an alias ??
> Did he ever write any other tunes ?? Steve ?? Norm ??
>
> Ed O.

> "HOT PLATTERS" - Records, Books, Tapes & more.
> www.hotplatters.com
> (50) categories with new additions added twice monthly.

Mel lived in Brooklyn in the 1960s and 1970s after which time I lost track of him. I played in a local rock band with his cousin, Artie Fleischer, and we recorded demos of additional songs that he wrote, including Everybody Talkin and Baby, You Slay Me. No other songs were ever charted. His songwriting, as much as he loved it, was not his day job.

bobbydi...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2017, 9:21:49 AM12/23/17

bobbydi...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2017, 9:45:19 AM12/23/17
On Thursday, September 9, 1999 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, hotpl...@aol.com wrote:
> I've often wondered about the writer credited to the song "Baby Talk"
> recorded by the Laurels and Jan & Dean. ??? Melvin Schwartz ??
>
> Does anyone know anything about him ?? Was this an alias ??
> Did he ever write any other tunes ?? Steve ?? Norm ??
>
> Ed O.
> Melvin Schwartz was an original member of the Laurels who wrote both sides of their single on Spring Records "Baby Talk" and (the great} "You Hurt Me." Jan & Dean recorded "Baby Talk after the Laurels! The Laurels were out of Crown Heights, Brooklyn. Mel Schwartz also wrote "Submarine Race" for a 3 man group that he saw singing in the neighborhood. He gave them one member of the Laurels, Mel Maron I believe, and then the the now 4 man Visuals, out of Crown Heights - Rutland Rd. I was told, Brooklyn had themselves a local area hit with "Submarine Race."

The Submarine Race fad got it's start at Plum Beach, Brooklyn (a little past Sheepshead Bay) a bit before the Visuals release. When the trend setting follower, Murray The K, scheduled a radio broadcast from Plum Beach in order to take an advantage of this new fad, the Belt Parkway was jammed in both directions and the broadcast had to be called off.

Melvin Schwartz went on to work for the Board of Education.

Bobby Diskin .........Brooklyn, N.Y.

ed...@edfreedman.com

May 18, 2018, 9:49:14 AM5/18/18
On Thursday, September 9, 1999 at 10:00:00 AM UTC+3, hotpl...@aol.com wrote:
> I've often wondered about the writer credited to the song "Baby Talk"
> recorded by the Laurels and Jan & Dean. ??? Melvin Schwartz ??
>
> Does anyone know anything about him ?? Was this an alias ??
> Did he ever write any other tunes ?? Steve ?? Norm ??
>
> Ed O.

> "HOT PLATTERS" - Records, Books, Tapes & more.
> www.hotplatters.com
> (50) categories with new additions added twice monthly.
Mel was my camp counselor also. Camp Wel-Met run by the New York Jewish Federation.We were at camp when the song hit the charts.

tarzan...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2020, 2:44:34 AM4/8/20
On Thursday, September 9, 1999 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, hotpl...@aol.com wrote:
> I've often wondered about the writer credited to the song "Baby Talk"
> recorded by the Laurels and Jan & Dean. ??? Melvin Schwartz ??
>
> Does anyone know anything about him ?? Was this an alias ??
> Did he ever write any other tunes ?? Steve ?? Norm ??
>
> Ed O.

> "HOT PLATTERS" - Records, Books, Tapes & more.
> www.hotplatters.com
> (50) categories with new additions added twice monthly.

Back in 1959 I was a camper at Camp Welmet in Narrowsburg NY. Mel Schwartz was one of the Councilors there. As with most of the other councilors he was a college student(don't know where)studying Psychology. What set him apart was the fact that he had written "Baby Talk". Over the years I have on occasion wondered what happened to him. Hope this info. helps

marty.nmn...@gmail.com

May 5, 2020, 4:00:10 PM5/5/20
I just stumbled across this posting. I knew Mel and in 1965 and 1966, my band recorded demos of some of his songs. I have recovered and posted on YouTube two of them. You can hear them in the video “The Quints” on my channel Martyquint.