What opera music in car commercial?

Greg Sandell

Apr 17, 1990, 3:16:08 PM4/17/90
There's a fairly new car ad out that features what sounds to me
like vocal ensemble aria from a Verdi opera, but I don't know
Verdi well enough to know which one. Anybody know that this
music is? The ad features a red sports car (a Nissan or Honda,
something like that), and whenever they cut to the couple inside
the car (who seem to be cuddling with each other while the car
travels 90mph) it's in black&white. At the the end, the quote
"The passion is back" appears on the screen.

* Greg Sandell (san...@ils.nwu.edu) *
* Institute for the Learning Sciences, Northwestern University *

config

Apr 23, 1990, 10:08:34 AM4/23/90

>In article <64...@accuvax.nwu.edu> san...@ferret.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Sandell) writes:
>>There's a fairly new car ad out that features what sounds to me
>>like vocal ensemble aria from a Verdi opera, but I don't know
>>Verdi well enough to know which one. Anybody know that this
>>music is?
>
>I seem to recall it being from Puccini's Tosca. Only saw the
>commercial once, but my wife and I agreed it was Tosca. You'd
>have to ask her what scene, she's the Tosca afficionado in the
>family %^)

If my memory hasn't failed me (and it's been suggested it has :-)), that
commerical in Canada had an aria from Puccini's Madama Butterfly. On
the other hand, the same manufacturer has used a duet from one of
Strauss's Operas (Rosenkavalier?), "O mio Babbino caro" from Puccini's
Gianni Schicchi.... I even heard some Strauss in a chocolate bar
commerical.

Funny, how the manufacturers try to intimate "class" via the music
they use? However, I've watched that way owners of such cars drive and
they have no "class" whatsoever.

BOB

Stephen Smoliar

Apr 23, 1990, 8:17:20 PM4/23/90
In article <47...@scorn.sco.COM> rog...@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:

>In article <64...@accuvax.nwu.edu> san...@ferret.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Sandell)
>writes:
>>There's a fairly new car ad out that features what sounds to me
>>like vocal ensemble aria from a Verdi opera, but I don't know
>>Verdi well enough to know which one. Anybody know that this
>>music is? The ad features a red sports car (a Nissan or Honda,
>>something like that), and whenever they cut to the couple inside
>>the car (who seem to be cuddling with each other while the car
>>travels 90mph) it's in black&white. At the the end, the quote
>>"The passion is back" appears on the screen.
>
>I seem to recall it being from Puccini's Tosca. Only saw the
>commercial once, but my wife and I agreed it was Tosca.

I thought it was BOHEME, but I only listen to that stuff when my wife insists.

USPS: Stephen Smoliar
USC Information Sciences Institute
4676 Admiralty Way Suite 1001
Marina del Rey, California 90292-6695

Internet: smo...@vaxa.isi.edu

"By long custom, social discouse in Cambridge in intended to impart and only
rarely to obtain information. People talk; it is not expected that anyone
will listen. A respectful show of attention is all that is required until
the listener takes over in his or her turn. No one has ever been known to
repeat what he or she has heard at a party or other social gathering."
John Kenneth Galbraith
A TENURED PROFESSOR

Steve and Beth

Apr 24, 1990, 2:48:41 AM4/24/90
I think the commercial you are referring to is for the Toyota MR2,
and if you are, it is the finale for ACT I of _La Boheme_.

Beth

Greg Givler - Product Assurance

Apr 25, 1990, 12:04:49 PM4/25/90
In article <13...@venera.isi.edu> smo...@vaxa.isi.edu (Stephen Smoliar) writes:
>In article <47...@scorn.sco.COM> rog...@sco.COM (Roger Knopf 5502) writes:
>>
>>In article <64...@accuvax.nwu.edu> san...@ferret.Berkeley.EDU (Greg Sandell)
>>writes:
>>>There's a fairly new car ad out that features what sounds to me
>>>like vocal ensemble aria from a Verdi opera, but I don't know
>>>Verdi well enough to know which one. Anybody know that this
>>>music is? The ad features a red sports car (a Nissan or Honda,
>>>something like that), and whenever they cut to the couple inside
>>>the car (who seem to be cuddling with each other while the car
>>>travels 90mph) it's in black&white. At the the end, the quote
>>>"The passion is back" appears on the screen.
>>
>>I seem to recall it being from Puccini's Tosca. Only saw the
>>commercial once, but my wife and I agreed it was Tosca.
>
>I thought it was BOHEME, but I only listen to that stuff when my wife insists.

I thought that it was TURANDOT, the melody of Nessun Dorma cought my attention
but it could have been BOHEME. It was definitely Puccini

Greg
Greg Givler | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100 | The NET: giv...@cbmvax.commodore.com
"Wild Whores couldn't keep me away!" -- George Francisco
"That's Horses, George" -- Matt Sikes -- Alien Nation -- Fox Broadcasting --

Bill Masek

Apr 27, 1990, 6:53:00 PM4/27/90
Angel has put out 3 mid-line cds:
Madison Avenue goes to the Opera: Opera (+ some choral) selections
in commercials.
The Movies go to the Opera: Opera selections from movies
The Movies go to the Opera II: More opera selections from movies

They are interesting. I won the Madison Ave one and I enjoy it. I have
not yet bought the others. If I see them real cheap (~$6) on sale or
used I will probalby buy them.

ps The turtle wax commercial uses the cry from Paliachi (sp!!) as
he ruins his car!

bill masek Charles River Data Associates
frog!bill

ale.st...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2015, 3:00:59 AM3/5/15

Peter T. Daniels

Mar 5, 2015, 8:30:09 AM3/5/15
On Thursday, March 5, 2015 at 3:00:59 AM UTC-5, ale.st...@gmail.com wrote:

> Is it this one?
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kij_hHB_hyY

You expect them to remember a TV commercial from 25 years ago?

susan...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2016, 9:02:23 AM1/17/16
Thank you! I was looking for this.

miika...@gmail.com