Classical CD Reviews #1

Dave Lampson

Jul 19, 1990, 8:14:08 PM7/19/90

The following is the first in a continuing series of reviews I expect to
be writing in the coming months. I already have several written and will
be posting them in the next few days if the public outcry isn't too
great. (:-) I am a complete amateur at this (as might be obvious) and
I personally own all CDs reviewed. I don't get any CDs free, so my
opinions are reflective of that fact.

I also don't have an extensive formal education in music or music history
as several of our regular contributors, so any comments, suggestions or
opinions are certainly welcome, either through the net, or via email:

lam...@tellab5.tellabs.COM

I do however try to make my reviews as informed as possible and have both
a large personal library of biographies, analyses and theory books as well
as a large CD and LP collection. My personal preferences are instrumental
music from early baroque to late romantic, with some modern. I do not
purchase opera or other vocal music, atonal, minimal or other experimental
music. This is not because I do not feel this music has merit. I just
would rather not spend my time listening to it, or my hard earned money
purchasing it. So here goes.

Classical CD Reviews #1
by
L. David Lampson
Copyright 1990

Camille Saint-Saens (1854-1934)

Piano Concertos #2 (Op. 22) & #5 "Egyptian" (Op. 103)
Orchestra of Radio Luxembourg
Louis de Froment, Conductor
Gabriel Tacchino, Piano
1976 Moss Music Group Vox Turnabout PVT7175 ADD 51:25

Piano Concertos #1-5 (Op. 17, 22, 29, 44 & 103)
Orchestra de Paris
Serge Baudo, Conductor
Aldo Ciccolini, Piano
1971 EMI Pathe Marconi CMS7694432 (2CDs) ADD 2:18:04

"The artist who does not feel completely satisfied by elegant lines, by
harmonious colors and by a beautiful succession of chords does not
understand the art of music." The preceding assertion, by Saint-Saens
himself, has been interpreted over the last century as an indication of
a profound lack of concern for the musical content of a piece. However,
even casual study of the five piano concertos by this french master reveal
deep musical content as well as formal perfection and great style.

Saint-Saens was a virtuoso pianist of world renown early on in his life
and thus understood the musical as well as technical demands associated
with great piano writing. These concertos date from 1858 to 1895 and
demonstrate a continuity, and consistency of quality content, that is
remarkable for such a span of time. Despite the nearly 20 years that
intervened between the fourth and fifth concerto, the works seem to
easily bridge the maturation in late romantic piano concerto style from
Tchaikovsky (#1, 1874) to Rachmaninov (#2, 1897). The second and fifth
concertos are the most often played and recorded, but all five concertos
are of high quality and should satisfy any collector of the romantic piano
repertoire.

The performance of Gabriel Tacchino on the Vox Turnabout release shows
his ready affinity for the style of Saint-Saens. His interpretation,
particularly of the second concerto, displays a fine sense of french
romanticism that Saint-Saens surely intended. The sound quality of this
budget release is almost surprisingly well balanced and free of extraneous
noise.

Ratings - Performance: 8 Sound Quality: 8

Recorded over a six month period in 1970, the performances by Aldo Ciccolini
on the EMI Pathe Marconi two CD set captures the spirit of these concertos
to perfection. Ciccolini manages a near perfect flow and balance between
his piano and the orchestra. Serge Baudo and the Orchestra de Paris are also
to be commended on their contributions to this balance. Indeed, the overall
flow across these two disks is such that the concertos blend together into
one gigantic work for piano and orchestra. I'm not sure whether this is good
or bad from a musical point of view, perhaps it indicates a lack of variation
in Saint-Saens compositions, but the effect is marvelous from the point of
view of the listener. Just as some readers enjoy short stories and some
(I for one) enjoy epic novels, this collection seems to be an epic piano
concerto, rather than a collection of five smaller and more variant works.

EMI Pathe Marconi has previously released multi-CD sets of the complete works
of several french masters (the complete chamber and piano works by Faure,
complete chamber music of Poulenc and the complete symphonies of Saint-Saens
come to mind). These sets have been uniformly satisfying and represent a very
good value for the collector. Most of the CDs contain 70+ minutes of music
and can typically be found as mid-priced.

Ratings - Performance:10 Sound Quality: 9

Anatol ORLOVSKY

Jul 21, 1990, 10:34:30 AM7/21/90
Could somebody suggest good recordings (CD *or* vinyl) of Tchaikovsky's
Sixth (perhaps something less bland than Neeme Jarvi, with tempos better
judged than Haitink's,...)? Any recent (or not so recent) Mravinsky
recordings?

Thanks,
Anatol

Antonio Leal

Jul 21, 1990, 3:57:39 PM7/21/90

I've not gotten around to those myself, but here's two issues that have
had good press. Maybe someone else can provide the 'live' commentary.

Tchaik.: Symph.#4,5,6/Leningr/Mravinsky DG 419745 2 CD
Tchaik.: Symphs.(compl.)/Oslo/Jansons Chandos 8672/8 7 CD

The Mravinsky is a double CD; the Jansons is available both as boxed
set (1-6 +Manfred) and separately.

--
Antonio B. Leal Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Bell: [412] 268-2937 Carnegie Mellon University

Peter Farson

Jul 22, 1990, 6:37:31 AM7/22/90

I have a Giulini with the L.A. Philharmonic CD of this piece, and
it is very good. Giulini does a particularly good interpretation of
the slow last movement.

--
Mt. Vesuvius exploded | Peter Farson - Rhythm & Hues, Inc.
The Sea of Cortez is heating up | celia!pe...@usc.edu

R. Wilmer

Jul 22, 1990, 10:02:04 PM7/22/90

In article <37...@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca> ea...@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Anatol ORLOVSKY) writes:

Rostropovitch - good tempos, well seasoned, rich, deeply felt, authentic

Richard

Dan Koren - Database Engineering Manager

Jul 24, 1990, 7:04:57 PM7/24/90
In article <37...@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca> ea...@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Anatol ORLOVSKY) writes:

Well, of course Mravinski (if you can get his records), Furtwaengler,
Celibidache...

dk

--
Dan Koren phone: +1 408-720-2972
Database Engineering Manager MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.

David H. Marwick

Jul 25, 1990, 4:02:31 AM7/25/90
In article <37...@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca> ea...@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Anatol ORLOVSKY) writes:
>Could somebody suggest good recordings (CD *or* vinyl) of Tchaikovsky's Sixth

My favourite is Maris Janson's recording with the Oslo Phil. All his
Tchaikovsky is hard-driven & exciting. Some of it works for me & some
doesn't, but his 6th strikes a real chord with me. Recording is on Chandos
- both CD & vinyl last time I looked.
--
David H. Marwick JANET : d...@uk.ac.hw.cs
Department of Computer Science ARPA : d...@cs.hw.ac.uk

Greg Givler - Product Assurance

Jul 25, 1990, 10:48:32 AM7/25/90

> In article <37...@calvin.cs.mcgill.ca> ea...@quiche.cs.mcgill.ca (Anatol ORLOVSKY) writes:
>
> >Could somebody suggest good recordings (CD *or* vinyl) of Tchaikovsky's
> >Sixth (perhaps something less bland than Neeme Jarvi, with tempos better
> >judged than Haitink's,...)? Any recent (or not so recent) Mravinsky
> >recordings?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Anatol

I have an old recording of the 6th with Solti and the Chicago. I really
enjoy it. I have not heard many other interpretations so I am just telling
you about the one I know.

Greg
Greg Givler | Q-Link: GregGivler
Analyst - Systems Evaluation Group | CompuServe: Greg Givler 76702,647
Commodore Product Assurance | GEnie: G.Givler
215-431-9100 | The NET: giv...@cbmvax.commodore.com
"I'm a Hawk, you're a Tiger... We're our own Zoo" -- Countess Charlotte Malcolm
-- From the Musical -- _A_Little_Night_Music_ -- By Stephen Sondheim --

Bill Crane

Jul 26, 1990, 9:54:53 AM7/26/90
There exist two different recordings of Furtwangler conducting the
Tchaikovsky sixth. In Furtwangler's hands the music actually
achieves greatness. Of the two recordings that I know, the earlier
recording done for EMI in the 30's is the better.
--
Bill Crane ...!gatech!daysinns!bill
Days Inns of America Inc., Atlanta GA

gggg...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2017, 7:46:48 PM4/10/17
On Saturday, July 21, 1990 at 4:34:30 AM UTC-10, Anatol ORLOVSKY wrote:
> Could somebody suggest good recordings (CD *or* vinyl) of Tchaikovsky's
> Sixth...

Concerning recordings of that symphony:

- My favorites outside this particular example are Ormandy (Sony), perhaps Tchaikovsky’s greatest modern interpreter, and Giulini (EMI), still one of the most riveting recordings around.

https://www.audaud.com/tchiakovsky-sym-no-6-in-b-pathetique-dvorak-rusalka-fantasy-reference/